Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eurogamer - Big Interview With Chris Roberts

Comments

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Chris Roberts: The term beta in terms of Star Citizen - with 3.0 the game is moving into a phase akin to Early Access.
    3.0 is akin to early access? what a joke.
    PhryMaxBaconVikingir

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I love how in response to "Sure, although the difference for you guys is that people have already put in their money, as opposed to a Ubisoft game which isn't crowdfunded. " Chris basically turns it into some sort of tribal thing, talking about Liverpool vs United or CoD vs Battlefield, vocal minorities etc, WTF is he even on about?

CR- I am fed up of giving someone an estimate.
    Which is why 2 days after saying the very same thing at Gamescom he went and gave people estimates....

I kind of wish he had been given a harder response when he started babbling on about disclaimers, like claiming 3.0 would be coming by the end of last year and we're almost 1 year past that and perhaps this is why people get a bit cheesed off with his estimates, regardless of disclaimers.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    The title is baity but once you read it's nothing new over the early access the game already is, maybe more related to 3.0 bringing it a stronger game loop that hardly existed until now.

Also saying again as Erin did time ago 3.1 to be when they'll start to let players to buy ships in-game, perhaps that will also be when the real UEC currency is also to be implemented.

~~ edit, title & description of their article, not this thread.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    rpmcmurphyExcessionVikingir
    How is it baity? The title is "Big interview with Chris Roberts" and that's exactly what it is.
    ScotchUp
    How is it baity? The title is "Big interview with Chris Roberts" and that's exactly what it is.
    I'm talking about the title of their article, not your thread... O_o
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    The title is baity but once you read it's nothing new over the early access the game already is, maybe more related to 3.0 bringing it a stronger game loop that hardly existed until now.

Also saying again as Erin did time ago 3.1 to be when they'll start to let players to buy ships in-game, perhaps that will also be when the real UEC currency is also to be implemented.
    It's not really baity if they are using CR's words.

and what game loop? There isn't a game loop right now. Doesn't one need to exist before it can become stronger?
    Gdemami
    edited September 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    I'm talking about the title of their article, not your thread... O_o

Oh well that's really obvious.... /facepalm
    MaxBaconVikingir
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    THAT is the clickbait :

subtitle:  "It would be the worst scam in the world."

Have fun
    ExcessionVikingir
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    and what game loop? There isn't a game loop right now. Doesn't one need to exist before it can become stronger?
    The economy game loop is earning currency and spending it, on persistent gameplay. 2.6 only has a fraction of that with the stuff you can buy, things like even repair and ammo are not persistent so no loop is generated from it currently.

3.0 is set to greatly expand this:
    • Mission system, generation of content with the procedural missions over what was just until now 16 pre-scripted (non-persistent) missions.
    • Trading, the ability to finally buy and sell from KIOSKs spread across the game world, this is part of the shop system that is stated to globally simulate stocks, prices, etc...
    • Cargo, relates to trading in the first 3.0 iteration because it is how it will work, buying, transporting, and selling (possibly stealing as breaching is in).
    • Addition of shops to persistently buy ship parts.
    • Insurance, this is relevant to it because it's no longer ship destroyed > respawn ship, there is now persistent consequence and loss.
    • More Persistence, from your location "save game", to fundamentally related to game loop, persistent ammo, missiles, and damage. Moving away from the stuff that "resets" every time you play is most important to that.

That's just a superficial view of the stated/completed features stated to release with 3.0 that relates to this type of game loop.

Erillion said:
    THAT is the clickbait :

Have fun 
    Oh I meant that the title kinda tells you SC is now moving into something like "early access" with 3.0, like this was a new development stage like a beta or something, though SC has been early access for as long its alpha has been playable.
    Azaron_NightbladeExcession
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Which is why 2 days after saying the very same thing at Gamescom he went and gave people estimates....

Just because he's "fed up" doesn't mean that he's unwilling to do it, especially if it makes sense to do so. He's just "tired" of people asking.

I'm fed up with going to work every day but I do it.

ConstantineMerusBalmong[Deleted User]gervaise1Vikingir
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    The economy game loop is earning currency and spending it, on persistent gameplay. 2.6 only has a fraction of that with the stuff you can buy, things like even repair and ammo are not persistent so no loop is generated from it currently.

3.0 is set to greatly expand this:
    • Mission system, generation of content with the procedural missions over what was just until now 16 pre-scripted (non-persistent) missions.
    • Trading, the ability to finally buy and sell from KIOSKs spread across the game world, this is part of the shop system that is stated to globally simulate stocks, prices, etc...
    • Cargo, relates to trading in the first 3.0 iteration because it is how it will work, buying, transporting, and selling (possibly stealing as breaching is in).
    • Addition of shops to persistently buy ship parts.
    • More Persistence, from your location "save game", to fundamentally related to game loop, persistent ammo, missiles, and damage. Moving away from the stuff that "resets" every time you play is most important to that.
    CR doesn't seem to think there are any gameplay loops based on the article. You saying you know more about this project then the head honcho now?

edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    CR doesn't seem to think there are any gameplay loops based on the article. You saying you know more about this project then the head honcho now?
    "3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics. It's the first one which has proper persistence for your character, ship and items in terms of what their state is, their location is."

The first time you get some of the basic game loops because of whole new features that add them, the basic loop of persistent currency that you earn and spend (and what you buy is persistent) already exists just but just in a small fraction, as buying clothes or a weapon.
    Excession
    edited September 2017
    Sovrath said:

Just because he's "fed up" doesn't mean that he's unwilling to do it, especially if it makes sense to do so. He's just "tired" of people asking.

I'm fed up with going to work every day but I do it.

Well if he spends the whole year not giving dates, makes comments about how he gets vilified for dates, says how much he shouldn't do it and then still goes and does it....

Personally I couldn't care less if he's tired of it, that falls entirely on him for not being able to give good estimated dates.

ExcessionScotchUp
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    "3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics. It's the first one which has proper persistence for your character, ship and items in terms of what their state is, their location is."

The first time you get some of the basic game loops because of whole new features that add them, the basic loop of persistent currency that you earn and spend (and what you buy is persistent) already exists just but just in a small fraction, as buying clothes or a weapon.
    Are you really trying to pull revisionist history when it's literally right in front of your face?

"3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics. (This is talking about how game loops will be a thing in 3.0, although in a basic form)

It's the first one which has proper persistence for your character, ship and items in terms of what their state is, their location is." (This is talking gameplay mechanics. Notice how CR doesn't mention a game loop but just talks about persistence?)

You can't argue this point Max unless you are actively saying you know more about the game then CR does. You can try and reword things to your hearts content to make it seem like what you said was correct but it's pretty damn hard to have a convincing argument when the game creator says otherwise
    MaxBaconExcession
    Kefo said:
    it's pretty damn hard to have a convincing argument when the game creator says otherwise
    Where does he say otherwise?  He talks game loops.

MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    it's pretty damn hard to have a convincing argument when the game creator says otherwise
    Where does he say otherwise?  He talks game loops.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here
    Kefo said:
    Where does what he said, specifically imply there isn't any game loop in the current alpha?

In fact, he mentions: "the ability to earn and spend money on clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons" as one, clothes and weapons what is already in the alpha with ship items and ship weapons in 3.0.
    Excession
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Where does what he said, specifically imply there isn't any game loop in the current alpha?

In fact, he mentions: "the ability to earn and spend money on clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons" as one, clothes and weapons what is already in the alpha with ship items and ship weapons in 3.0.
    Well you already quoted it but I'll quote it again for you.

"3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics."

The first time you will have some of the basic game loops tends to mean there arent any game loops currently unless CR doesn't understand what the word first means
    Excessiongir243MaxBacon
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:

The first time you will have some of the basic game loops tends to mean there arent any game loops currently unless CR doesn't understand what the word first means
    It does not mean he was saying no game loop currently exists.

It means that new basic game loops are going to be added to the game for the first time, tied to new features. That is my perception of it, feel free to have any view of it you want.

For all that I see from it, he can make the same claim about 3.1 after releasing some of the basic game loops in 3.0 without implying otherwise.
    Pingu2012rpmcmurphyGdemamiExcession
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

It means that new basic game loops are going to be added to the game for the first time, tied to new features. That is my perception of it, feel free to have any view of it you want.

For all that I see from it, he can make the same claim about 3.1 after releasing some of the basic game loops in 3.0 without implying otherwise.
    Well you're welcome to try and spin it to make it seem like something else but the rest of us will read it as the way it's written in that no game loop exists.
    MaxBaconExcession
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

If I said I was driving a car for the first time would you say that your perception of that comment means I am driving in the Grand Prix for the first time? :confused:

edited September 2017
    If I said I was driving a car for the first time would you say that your perception of that comment means I am driving in the Grand Prix for the first time? :confused:
    If I'm saying I am adding some game loops for the first time to the game in the next update, I am not saying that the game has no game loops until then.

In fact, his reply describes as I mentioned a game loop that is present in the current alpha "... the ability to earn and spend money on clothes, weapons..."
    GdemamiExcession
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

For someone who allegedly plays the current build i find it strange that you do not know that a basic game / economy loop is already in place. Version 3.0 will greatly expand this with numerous features.
    ErillionVikingir
    Shodanas said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

For someone who allegedly plays the current build i find it strange that you do not know that a basic game / economy loop is already in place. Version 3.0 will greatly expand this with numerous features.
    I play the current build? I'd like you to show me where I've said that.
    Babuinix
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Erillion said:
    THAT is the clickbait :

Have fun
    Jesus Christ folks, it was a quote from the interview itself.  People have been using quotes as titles long before click bait was even a term.  No offense, but you guys bring on like half the hate you see by constantly playing the victim.

Go ahead and ask Eurogamer to start naming their articles with boring ass titles like "Star Citizen Interview #23" and see what they say.
    Excession