Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2nd Gamasutra article is up about Star Citizen

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2017
    Not unlike what we sometimes do on these very forums for various games. Although we usually position our assessments as "broad brush" in scope. 

One can make various "minor observations" e.g. overseas staff rates, no allowance for government investment rebates etc. but I think the biggest niggle I have is: $50M "advertsing costs" for a pre-sold game ......
    rnment etc.).

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2017
    So all these articles boil down to one sentence:

"...In the spirit of transparency, it’s time for backers to demand quarterly updates on the cash position of the company, or better yet, quarterly releases of the balance sheet. ..."

That - in my opinion - will not happen, as CIG is a private company. Some backers (and some other ;-) people) have "demanded" this years ago. And it did not happen. No surprise there.

It is also important to note that these articles were not written by Gamasutra staff members. They were written by a member of the community and everything in there is to be considered his opinion (as Gamasutra mentions at the beginning of the article). Here on this mmorpg subforum we had many threads with similar calculations. And threads with similar "demands". Therefore i personally do not see much news in the article - one finds similar calculations on many different forums discussing Star Citizen.

Have fun
    SpottyGekkoAsm0deus
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I agree it's not going to happen, it is a silly thing to expect to happen and it was a silly thing for CIG to have put in their original terms of service in the first place.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited September 2017
    Erillion said:
    So all these articles boil down to one sentence:

"...In the spirit of transparency, it’s time for backers to demand quarterly updates on the cash position of the company, or better yet, quarterly releases of the balance sheet. ..."

That - in my opinion - will not happen, as CIG is a private company. Some backers (and some other ;-) people) have "demanded" this years ago. And it did not happen. No surprise there.

It is also important to note that these articles were not written by Gamasutra staff members. They were written by a member of the community and everything in there is to be considered his opinion (as Gamasutra mentions at the beginning of the article). Here on this mmorpg subforum we had many threads with similar calculations. And threads with similar "demands". Therefore i personally do not see much news in the article - one finds similar calculations on many different forums discussing Star Citizen.

Have fun
    Yep.  The benefits of being funded by investors who aren't actually investors and get absolutely none of the investor perks.
    MadFrenchieAsm0deusFrodoFragins
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Financial transparency would be awesome, but as Erillion stated it's not going to happen.

To be honest if you look in depth at CIG they have a few times done a few hinky things from a financial perspective, so I doubt they now would ever release any details.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yep.  The benefits of being funded by investors who aren't actually investors and get absolutely none of the investor perks.
    I participate in a crowdfunding campaign. I am not an investor. I do not WANT to be an investor.

What people rarely understand is that investors not only get perks ... they also have responsibilities. If a company goes belly up, an investor may have to pay extra money to cover outstanding liabilities in case of insolvency. Even if it is a full success, they may have to pay taxes.
    A fact that is easily forgotten. While the "IRS" (its not called that in my country) never forgives and never forgets.

Have fun 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Financial transparency would be awesome, but as Erillion stated it's not going to happen.

To be honest if you look in depth at CIG they have a few times done a few hinky things from a financial perspective, so I doubt they now would ever release any details.
    Which is why CIG will never follow through with any legal threat they make.  Anyone who can afford the legal fees could start delving into the financial undergrowth of the company, which they absolutely do not want.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Erillion said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    I participate in a crowdfunding campaign. I am not an investor. I do not WANT to be an investor.

What people rarely understand is that investors not only get perks ... they also have responsibilities. If a company goes belly up, an investor may have to pay extra money to cover outstanding liabilities in case of insolvency. Even if it is a full success, they may have to pay taxes.
    A fact that is easily forgotten. While the "IRS" (its not called that in my country) never forgives and never forgets.

Have fun 
    They only have to pay taxes because they actually make money off the thing.  That's akin to saying "One should not earn income because one has to pay income taxes".

....also, investors having to pay extra money to cover outstanding liabilities in case of insolvency?  Since when?  Source, please?  I'm pretty sure that's not how investments work and running internet searches on the matter are turning up nothing regarding that.
    MadFrenchie
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    I agree it's not going to happen, it is a silly thing to expect to happen and it was a silly thing for CIG to have put in their original terms of service in the first place.

That's why they never putted it in their original TOS in the first place lol
    rpmcmurphyExcession
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2017
    Babuinix said:

Now that is a lie.

In their original ToS they said they would release financial details if the project went X amount of time past the 2014 date iirc. There was a big hooha about the ToS change which I'm perfectly sure you are aware of so let's not lie about something so easily provable eh.

Kefokikoodutroa8Excession
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited September 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Now that is a lie.

In their original ToS they said they would release financial details if the project went X amount of time past the 2014 date iirc. There was a big hooha about the ToS change which I'm perfectly sure you are aware of so let's not lie about something so easily provable eh.

[mod edit]
    They "kind of" did but it was based on CIG not delivering the game or pledge items.

"In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on the Website to fully explain the use of the amounts paid for Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost. "

Post edited by Vaross on
    rpmcmurphySpottyGekkoKefo
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    Talonsin said:
    They "kind of" did but it was based on CIG not delivering the game or pledge items.

"In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on the Website to fully explain the use of the amounts paid for Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost. "
    This is correct, the term is still present, the first 12 months / 18 months were tied to refunds liability.
    rpmcmurphy
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:

Come to denmark. Our "IRS" forgets a lot and they forgive after 5 years...
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:

I recently went there actually. A frigging great country but quite expensive. Not as expensive as some SC stuff of course but still pretty expensive  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir  
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Ouch!! Re-hash some numbers that have been tossed around for a number of years and then ask people to pay a subscription to have you surf the Internet and come up with more numbers that people have already used. That's so..... cringe-worthy. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

hfztt said:
    Erillion said:

The Austrian "IRS" / "Finanzamt" is a bit more greedy.

We have limitation periods between 5 and 15 years. But such a period can be declared "obstructed" ... which basically stops the clock.

A recent revision introduces a "absolute limitation of action" that would change it so that even an "obstruction" cannot cause a delay longer than 15 years. That would be comparable to the 5 years in Denmark you mentioned.

The Austrian "Finanzamt"  (like the German one and several others) even buys stolen files on the Dark Net. It was a list of Austrian bank customers in Lichtenstein that tried to avoid taxes. An unknown bank employee has copied a lot of financial data and was selling it to anyone interested.

See also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Liechtenstein_tax_affair

Have fun
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Erillion said:
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:

The Austrian "IRS" / "Finanzamt" is a bit more greedy.

We have limitation periods between 5 and 15 years. But such a period can be declared "obstructed" ... which basically stops the clock.

A recent revision introduces a "absolute limitation of action" that would change it so that even an "obstruction" cannot cause a delay longer than 15 years. That would be comparable to the 5 years in Denmark you mentioned.

The Austrian "Finanzamt"  (like the German one and several others) even buys stolen files on the Dark Net. It was a list of Austrian bank customers in Lichtenstein that tried to avoid taxes. An unknown bank employee has copied a lot of financial data and was selling it to anyone interested.

See also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Liechtenstein_tax_affair

Have fun
    I wonder if that unknown bank employee was claiming that income on their taxes ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    The only way I, as a backer, feel entitled to the financials is if production goes belly up. So far there has been no sign of that happening anytime soon, so I am content to watch it play out.
    ErillionBabuinixAsm0deus
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Balmong said:
    The only way I, as a backer, feel entitled to the financials is if production goes belly up. So far there has been no sign of that happening anytime soon, so I am content to watch it play out.
    The only sensible way of going with it tbh.
    Balmong
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Balmong said:
    The only sensible way of going with it tbh.
    Yeah why hold CIG or CR accountable for what they promised when it's easier to turn a blind eye
    Kefo said:
    Yeah why hold CIG or CR accountable for what they promised when it's easier to turn a blind eye
    It is only you that claims that they promised this.

They did not.

That you keep repeating your claim does not make it any more valid.

Have fun

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    It is only you that claims that they promised this.

They did not.

That you keep repeating your claim does not make it any more valid.

Have fun

Only me eh? you think I'm the only one on this forum who thinks they need to be held accountable for what they say and fans shouldn't turn a blind eye?

Do I really need to point out how wrong you are?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I wish crowd funding required open reporting of financials.  It would be interesting to see how much money Chris, Sandi and Ortwin have taken from the project over the last 5 years.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Kefo said:
    Only me eh? you think I'm the only one on this forum who thinks they need to be held accountable for what they say and fans shouldn't turn a blind eye?

I think you are someone that makes false claims.

Claims that are easily fact checked by reading the TOS. Old or new version .. does not matter.

You claim they promised a certain thing.

They never did.

Not under the old TOS. Not under the new TOS.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

I think you are someone that makes false claims.

Claims that are easily fact checked by reading the TOS. Old or new version .. does not matter.

You claim they promised a certain thing.

They never did.

Not under the old TOS. Not under the new TOS.

Have fun
    Revisionist history at its greatest here folks
    SpottyGekko