Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    The really silly thing is that Bungie doesn't even call Destiny an MMO. LOL
    So what? Uber does not call itself a taxi either. its called a "shared ride system".. but its still a taxi.
    That's wrong.  It's a shared ride service because they aren't driving licensed taxi cabs.  Additionally, taxi cab vehicles have applicable insurance that's active 100% of the time; ride sharing auto insurance is only active while the driver is actually sharing the ride.

Much like the genre issue being discussed here, the difference lies in the technical features of the two services, not some "feeling" you get while using them.
    No. just no. Where do you live? I've driven for Uber before and Uber's insurance is active as long as the APP IS ON in the car. So as long as you are on the clock picking up rides the insurance is on. Its no different than a taxi cab. Both are licensed so what are you talking about?  You really think Uber is just  random people with cars? Dude its a a licensed taxi service! Few years ago Uber couldnt go to LAX Airport where I live at because of city license.. now they can. Its the exact same thing as a Taxi. 

Your argument is its not a "city licensed taxi so its not a taxi at all"

You act like it cant be a privately owned taxi service.. key word "Taxi Service". Please tell me if Uber isn't a taxi service what is? A cat sitting service? lol wtf? 

You talk about technicalities but you are uber wrong. TECHNICALLY SPEAKING uber is a freaking taxi service. It does not matter what you say about the presentation. Don't be fooled by that. 

That's the whole thing with Destiny.. tell me what is preventing Destiny from being a MMO? Don't say "iT nOt eNoUgh plAyErS"  dude its not a 2 player co-op game, people are playing with up to 20 people having a MMO experience. Technically its one, because Its doing the exact same things. It may not be the same as other MMOs (Just like Uber isn't the same as other Taxi services) but its still a MMO. Even if its MMO-Lite. You cannot deny its doing the same thing. If you deny it, then I question if you have even ever played the game. 

No.

https://www.allinjurieslawfirm.com/blog/post/1721/What-s-The-Difference-Between-Ride-Sharing-And-Taxis-#.Wc1PQXpOnqA
    I literally said Uber isnt the same as other Taxi Services. That means, I realize and recognize there are differences between Uber and Traditional taxi. You have selective reading..

It's still a taxi, you didnt prove anything lol..

I can post links too.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Uber-really-not-a-taxi-service 

"Uber is the worlds most famous and successful on-demand taxi service."
    The law quite literally differentiates between the two. My link explains the law, yours is just some user on quora posting with no reference to how the law differentiates the two and no real credentials to supercede how current laws view the two.

It makes sense, considering your other posts, that you would link to someone with no credibility posting something with no credible references.
    OH! So posting a "lawyer" explaining the difference between a traditional taxi and a ride sharing taxi makes it suddenly not a taxi service? Again, you proved nothing. I never denied there was a difference between the two legally as far as insurance but because there is, does not make them completely different things. The article is talking about the insurance differences between uber  and traditional taxi. Nowhere did it say Its not a taxi service. 

tbh you can post 100 lawyers explaining the insurance situation with traditional taxi and ride shared taxi but they still at the end of the day do the same exact thing just have different names.  All the legalities on insurance does not make it something else. Its still a taxi. You can not prove Uber is not a taxi service. 

Destiny is still a MMO. It may have less people per instance, which imo makes it MMO-Lite but still its a MMO. 

Btw: your lawyer is credible how? Do you know him personally? Is he the uber company lawyer? Or is it just some guy like my link talking about the difference between a traditional taxi and uber taxi?

"mY iNnanEt rEferEnCe iS mOrE cRediBlE dEn uRs" 

stop acting smug and pretentious is my point of posting a similar link from a random person. In case you missed it. 

Excession
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    The really silly thing is that Bungie doesn't even call Destiny an MMO. LOL
    So what? Uber does not call itself a taxi either. its called a "shared ride system".. but its still a taxi.
    That's wrong.  It's a shared ride service because they aren't driving licensed taxi cabs.  Additionally, taxi cab vehicles have applicable insurance that's active 100% of the time; ride sharing auto insurance is only active while the driver is actually sharing the ride.

Much like the genre issue being discussed here, the difference lies in the technical features of the two services, not some "feeling" you get while using them.
    No. just no. Where do you live? I've driven for Uber before and Uber's insurance is active as long as the APP IS ON in the car. So as long as you are on the clock picking up rides the insurance is on. Its no different than a taxi cab. Both are licensed so what are you talking about?  You really think Uber is just  random people with cars? Dude its a a licensed taxi service! Few years ago Uber couldnt go to LAX Airport where I live at because of city license.. now they can. Its the exact same thing as a Taxi. 

Your argument is its not a "city licensed taxi so its not a taxi at all"

You act like it cant be a privately owned taxi service.. key word "Taxi Service". Please tell me if Uber isn't a taxi service what is? A cat sitting service? lol wtf? 

You talk about technicalities but you are uber wrong. TECHNICALLY SPEAKING uber is a freaking taxi service. It does not matter what you say about the presentation. Don't be fooled by that. 

That's the whole thing with Destiny.. tell me what is preventing Destiny from being a MMO? Don't say "iT nOt eNoUgh plAyErS"  dude its not a 2 player co-op game, people are playing with up to 20 people having a MMO experience. Technically its one, because Its doing the exact same things. It may not be the same as other MMOs (Just like Uber isn't the same as other Taxi services) but its still a MMO. Even if its MMO-Lite. You cannot deny its doing the same thing. If you deny it, then I question if you have even ever played the game. 

No.

https://www.allinjurieslawfirm.com/blog/post/1721/What-s-The-Difference-Between-Ride-Sharing-And-Taxis-#.Wc1PQXpOnqA
    I literally said Uber isnt the same as other Taxi Services. That means, I realize and recognize there are differences between Uber and Traditional taxi. You have selective reading..

I can post links too.

The law quite literally differentiates between the two. My link explains the law, yours is just some user on quora posting with no reference to how the law differentiates the two and no real credentials to supercede how current laws view the two.

It makes sense, considering your other posts, that you would link to someone with no credibility posting something with no credible references.
    OH! So posting a lawyer explaining the difference between a traditional taxi and a ride sharing taxi makes it suddenly not a taxi service? Again, you proved nothing. The article is talking about the insurance differences between uber  and traditional taxi. Nowhere did it say Its not a taxi service. 

tbh you can post 100 lawyers explaining the insurance situation with traditional taxi and ride shared taxi but they still at the end of the day do the same exact thing just have different names.  All the legalities on insurance does not make it something else. Its still a taxi. You can not prove Uber is not a taxi service. 

Destiny is still a MMO. It may have less people per instance, which imo makes it MMO-Lite but still its a MMO. 

The reason it isn't treated the same or called the same under the law is because of the very real differences.  Because you wish to ignore it, it doesn't change reality.  It just makes you dangerously ignorant, considering you claim to drive or have driven for Uber.

Hotels and Airbnbs serve the same purpose, too.  They aren't there same thing.

Food trucks and brick and mortar restaurants serve the same purpose, too.  They aren't the same thing

I can and did prove Uber is not the same as a taxi service under the law, though they're both interested in serving the same need for their customers.  If you want to argue about challenges under the law in certain states, we can have that debate.  Currently, the majority of states in America view them differently in the same manner that they view Airbnb and hotels differently, despite them being in the same general industry.  This is also why Airbnb and Uber/Lyft can get away with charging you much less most of the time for the same service.  It's not lost on the hotel and taxi industry, which is why they're currently challenging the laws in some places.  Even so, the fact that there's even a need to challenge it in an attempt to get states to treat them similarly under the law is evidence of the differences between the two services.  If Uber had been the same old same old taxi company, there wouldn't have been a need to challenge as the law would've already treated them the exact same.

Everything else you're trying to use to convince yourself of your argument is just noise.
    ExcessionGdemami

klash2def said:

stop acting smug and pretentious is my point of posting a similar link from a random person. In case you missed it. 

In case you missed it: stop acting angry and ignorant.
    ExcessionGdemami

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The reason it isn't treated the same or called the same under the law is because of the very real differences.  Because you wish to ignore it, it doesn't change reality.  It just makes you dangerously ignorant, considering you claim to drive or have driven for Uber.

lol .. no one cares enough about MMO to have a LEGAL definition. Otherwise, there won't be so much flames here.

Now since you are playing the "ignorant" card .. are you ignorant of the fact that Engadet, a pretty prominent tech site, thinks that it is?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/30/destiny-2-brings-the-interstellar-mmo-grind-to-pc-in-september/

Or may be you are just ignoring the facts?

MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    And his first two posts after the ban is lifted...
    MrMelGibson

And his first two posts after the ban is lifted...

wow wow wow .. you did not see my warframe vs destiny post?

Those are the second and third, not the first. For a person who strides on accurate usage of the English language, are you losing your touch? 
    MadFrenchie
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

lol .. no one cares enough about MMO to have a LEGAL definition. Otherwise, there won't be so much flames here.

Now since you are playing the "ignorant" card .. are you ignorant of the fact that Engadet, a pretty prominent tech site, thinks that it is?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/30/destiny-2-brings-the-interstellar-mmo-grind-to-pc-in-september/

Are you still ignorant of the fact that the Dev Bungie and Publisher ATVI still dont call it an MMO..

Or maybe you are just ignoring the facts?
    Gdemami
    Scorchien said:

Are you still ignorant of the fact that the Dev Bungie and Publisher ATVI still dont call it an MMO..

He's just picking up his crusader agenda right where he left off when he got banned.
    Scorchien

Scorchien said:

nah .. it is more like you are ignorant of the fact that Bungie is not demanding reviewers and websites stop calling Destiny 2 a MMO.

In fact, are you ignoring this particular review?

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/destiny-2-review

and i quote "for all of the ways Destiny departed from the formula, it was still an MMO"
    Scorchien said:

He's just picking up his crusader agenda right where he left off when he got banned.

wait .. you did not even dispute anything i said. I guess you have nothing to add about Engadget and US gamers calling Destiny 2 a MMO.
    zaberfangxMadFrenchie
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Rhoklaw said:
    Apparently not that simple, otherwise the poll would be unanimous.
    Spoke too soon :smiley:
    Rhoklaw said:
    What do you mean by "too soon"? It is not unanimous now and no matter how many more votes it will get, it will never be unanimous. 

It is clear that some people here think that destiny 2 is a MMO, and that this website game list, and other sites agree, as well as some reviewers. 

There are clearly two sides. 
    Rhoklaw said:
    What do you mean by "too soon"? It is not unanimous now and no matter how many more votes it will get, it will never be unanimous. 

It is clear that some people here think that destiny 2 is a MMO, and that this website game list, and other sites agree, as well as some reviewers. 

There are clearly two sides. 
    Lol
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    The only thing the anti-MMO side seems to have is a bunch of troll-like remarks and insults. They can't deny that huge gaming sites like MMORPG.com, Massively, Egadget and many other sites call Destiny an MMO. All they can do is use insults because they lost their argument.
    IselinGdemamiMrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited October 2017
    klash2def said:I literally said Uber isnt the same as other Taxi Services. That means, I realize and recognize there are differences between Uber and Traditional taxi. You have selective reading..

I can post links too.

The funny thing is about that link is that if you scroll down past the first answer you'll see a response from Ron Tal, who's supposedly the Marketing Manager at Uber, state Uber is NOT a taxi service.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited October 2017
    MMORPG.com where 3 players is a MMO and loot boxes are loved.

As someone who wants an actual MMO with hundreds to thousands of players and no cash shop it really feels liked the plug has been pulled and the drain is being circled.
    IselinGdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited October 2017
    Nilden said:

As someone who wants an actual MMO with hundreds to thousands of players and no cash shop it really feels liked the plug has been pulled the the drain is being circled.
    There is only one MMO where you can play with hundreds to thousands of players, and that is EVE. There can even be 1000 or more players in the same system. Every other MMO is very limited to how many you can play with.

There is also Dungeons and Dragons Online, and its very heavily instanced (the whole game is one giant instance, and you see maybe a dozen at most players in same "instance" in the hub. And even Turbine (the developer themselves) calls it an MMO...but I see more players in the open map in Warframe than I did DDO even when it was at peak life.
    MrMelGibson

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I dont really care if its a MMO or not. If you spent half a billion dollar on a game development then you have to milk your customers for money, hard and brutal, to make a profit or even just get your investment back.

I think thats silly.

I really dont need super graphics. When I played Lineage 2 (only a very short time), I said thats the level of graphics I need to enjoy a 3D game. Anything above that level is not necessary for me; much rather work on the rulesystem and the quest content and so on.
    Gdemami
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:

As someone who wants an actual MMO with hundreds to thousands of players and no cash shop it really feels liked the plug has been pulled and the drain is being circled.

So the question is why can't you people get off your collective butts and build an mmo that you like instead of bitching at the people who like 3 person loot crate cash shop mongers? Seems like all they did was have an mmo built they're bankrolling. You guys should try that. :smirk:
    If someone likes a game or not is irrelevant to it being a MMO. People are using the term incorrectly, 3-4 people is not a MMO. As far as gambling loot boxes, do you really want to defend those?
    Gdemami

Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:

So the question is why can't you people get off your collective butts and build an mmo that you like instead of bitching at the people who like 3 person loot crate cash shop mongers? Seems like all they did was have an mmo built they're bankrolling. You guys should try that. :smirk:
    If someone likes a game or not is irrelevant to it being a MMO. People are using the term incorrectly, 3-4 people is not a MMO. As far as gambling loot boxes, do you really want to defend those?
    I'm just pointing out that some people like those games and there's nothing wrong with that. If people want a 3 person "mmo" and want to pay for it with loot crates, then more power to them. You implied there was something wrong with that which is what I responded to.

Then you said you want an MMO with some feature requirements so I suggested you should go get your MMO built instead of taking cheap shots at people who like 3 person "mmos" and loot crates. Do you think you can't have your game if they have theirs?
    Look man, massively multiplayer has to be more than multiplayer, you can't have 3 players and call it massive in any way whatsoever.

Imagine if you were talking about a "single player game" and had to put that in quotes because it actually had multiplayer...
    Gdemami

I play single player games. EQ is a single player game, WoW is a single player game, Destiny is a single player game, Eve is a single player game, CSGO is a single player game. 

I can call them whatever I want and will make sure to spread the word.
    ScorchienCecropiaMrMelGibson
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Life is a single player game too. Everyone else is still an NPC :). I can't control them. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited October 2017
    I play single player games. EQ is a single player game, WoW is a single player game, Destiny is a single player game, Eve is a single player game, CSGO is a single player game. 

I can call them whatever I want and will make sure to spread the word.
    You would actually be correct. You can play all of them (except CS) as a single player without needing to talk, group or interact with anyone else. EVE Online would be harder, but I played it for about 6 months without interacting with anyone...and the people I encountered I treated as NPCs lol.

• CyrinCyrin Member UncommonPosts: 43
    PC gamer - I bought a ps4 just to try out destiny 2.  It's shallow.  The game is set up for small groups and makes it decently hard to actually get them set up.   In the public zones you will never see more than 9 people, and most of the time it's far less.  When you join a server the game reserves slots for your whole team, even if you don't have one.  So if you play solo, you'll be lucky to see more than 4 people at a public event, if you include yourself.  It's a decent buy if you go in thinking it's just a single player story game.  If you go looking for the division level of depth .. you'll be sorely disappointed.  If I remember right, the division got knocked for being too shallow.
    JamesGoblinCryomatrix
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Torval said:

I don't care what other people call themselves, what they do, or what they play. I know what MMORPG means to me. I get how other MMOs and multiplayer games are different. I just don't care about those semantics because they don't affect how and what I play.

People on here can call D2 and MMO all they want and it means nothing to me because why should it? On the 24th I'm going to shoot things with other people online.

If you want to trip up over someone being wrong on the internet, it's your time. It still won't get you the game you want to play. Do you want to spend your energy telling people they're labeling things wrong or do you want to spend it getting games you like to play made? Maybe you've got time and energy for both. There is Pantheon and CU coming soonish. That should be encouraging.

That's how I am. Heck, if the industry decided to call mmorpg's "Green Eggs and Ham" one day I would then say "ok, great, going to play myself some Green Eggs and Ham, yes I am!"

I wonder if you have a point there about players "not getting the game they want to play".

As if all these arguments are really a reaction from people who are not getting the games they want and insisting on very strict definitions (though in some ways I think this is a gamer thing) is their way of solidifying what an mmorpg is because by not doing that the original definition might be forgotten and no one will ever make one "like they used to" ever again.

As if by sticking to the original definition there is still a chance someone might still make one.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo