Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 266
    MisterZebubMadFrenchieSteelhelmbcbullySovrath
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,933
    Lol sounds like a guy in 2019 talking about the south will rise. This battle was lost a long time ago. 
    klash2def
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,542
    edited June 7

@Pher0cious

"PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Man I love playin me some Massively Multiplayer Online, which apparently is short hand for any non-single player game these days. Now I'm off to download my favorite bands new phonograph album from Amazon.
    IselinMadFrenchie

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,902
    Man I love playin me some Massively Multiplayer Online, which apparently is short hand for any non-single player game these days. Now I'm off to download my favorite bands new phonograph album from Amazon.
    Make sure you get the 78 RPM version... that's still the best,
    MisterZebubMadFrenchie
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,171
    Lock thread pls
    blueturtle13Iselin
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,852
    edited June 7
    I cant believe how heated this discussion is. For the record I feel like a MMO is a game that allows you to see dozens of people on the same screen. Interact with them in some form with the abillity to group up and the like. There also has to be tons of content with a steady release of new content, unless the MMO is dying or in limbo state like FFXI. Destiny is not a MMO but it could be withe new expansion which is supposed to add tons of content and be their blueprint going foward. I doubt it but its possible.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 6,945
    Destiny is not an MMO, MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online, there's nothing massive about destiny, it's an online shooter nothing else, no one calls CS:GO or CoD or Battlefield or any other type of online shooter an mmo, because they're not, they're looby games that you can play online with other players. Same goes for LoL or Dota , they're all online game and millions of player play them, but they're not coined has mmo's because they're not mmo's they're mobas a completly different type of game.

The term MMO was created to specifically refer games that had huge worlds or areas that the entire server population shares, games like WoW or EQ or DaoC or SWG or other real MMORPGs. Destiny is an online multiplayer game with RPG elements, not an MMO, and I would be thankful if everyone stopped referring to it as an MMO just for the sake of making it more "appealing" to a certain crowd, that has absolutely no interest in the type of game Destiny is.
    The first M is MassiveLY not Massive. Just correcting that statementh

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    DMKano said:
    Lock thread pls
    Image result for forum police meme
    klash2def

Dead_Guy said:
    Developers and websites (like this one) are listing games as 'MMOs' simply because there are no 'MO' categories or websites. Look at Steam, do you see an 'Online Multiplayer' section? Nope, but you do see a 'Massively Multiplayer' section. How many 'Online Multiplayer' websites do you know of? None, because there are none.

To most people, 'MMOs' are a genre, which is utterly retarded. RPGs are a genre, shooters are a genre, 'Massively Multiplayer' is not a freaking genre. Platforms like Steam and websites like this one are confusing the hell out of people, and I'm pretty sure it's done on purpose.

I disagree. MMO is a genre. RPG is a subgenres of MMOs like FPS or can be. Those can also be subgenres of MO games and single player games. 
    Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS where as WoW is a MMORPG. Both are MMOs.

Now compare Planetside 2 and Destiny 2. Both are FPS but two different genre. One is a MMo the other a MO game.
    MadFrenchie

edited June 7
    See this is why I came up with a new term to describe these games that more specific and less vague like the term MMO is which ca  be exploited by marketers.

Mods here banned me for using the term because they said it cause confusion. 

The term was SCMOG
    Which stands for Soft Cap Multiplayer Online Game.

Softcap since all games have a limit on the number of players but some games have a soft floating cap limit that allow massively multiplayer interaction in the same gameplay Game space. These are the traditional MMO games.

HCMOG
    Which stands for Hard Cap Multiplayer Online Game.
    These are games that have a hard cap to the number of players, anything beyond it would be game breaking. For example Halo 1 was 4 player multiplayer hard cap. Suddenly changing that to 115 players would break the gameplay for something it was never built for. Same with other multiplayer games like Overwatched and League of Legend. They all ha e multiplayer but it's at a fixed hard cap setting for gameplay design. These would be the traditional MO games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,036
    hmmm good choice. B)

edited June 7
    Why do you think the game needs multiplayer?

All it needs is a hoppin' subreddit page.  You can't play together at all, but you can share your stories and screenshots of you playing by yourself with a MASSIVE community of folks online!  Add a "Daily Screenshot" thread so you check off that "Dailies" box, though!  VERY important.

edited June 7
    Dead_Guy said:
    Developers and websites (like this one) are listing games as 'MMOs' simply because there are no 'MO' categories or websites. Look at Steam, do you see an 'Online Multiplayer' section? Nope, but you do see a 'Massively Multiplayer' section. How many 'Online Multiplayer' websites do you know of? None, because there are none.

To most people, 'MMOs' are a genre, which is utterly retarded. RPGs are a genre, shooters are a genre, 'Massively Multiplayer' is not a freaking genre. Platforms like Steam and websites like this one are confusing the hell out of people, and I'm pretty sure it's done on purpose.

I disagree. MMO is a genre. RPG is a subgenres of MMOs like FPS or can be. Those can also be subgenres of MO games and single player games. 

Now compare Planetside 2 and Destiny 2. Both are FPS but two different genre. One is a MMo the other a MO game.
    You think RPG is a subgenres  of MMO's. Didn't RPG's come first. Unless I am mistaken from what you are saying.
    Arterius said:
    Dead_Guy said:

You think RPG is a subgenres  of MMO's. Didn't RPG's come first. Unless I am mistaken from what you are saying.
    I think you can look at it both ways.  MMORPGs are a subgenre of RPGs and MMOs.

Arterius said:
    Dead_Guy said:

I mean I look at both MMO's and RPG's as genres. I mean the first RPG I would say is Dungeons and Dragons and that came out before the first MMO. I don't even know if MMO's would exist as we know them without Dungeons and Dragons. Now I don't know what the first RPG video game was but even if it was a MMO I would still say that MMO's would be a sub genre of RPG if anything.
    edited June 7
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Dead_Guy said:

I mean I look at both MMO's and RPG's as genres. I mean the first RPG I would say is Dungeons and Dragons and that came out before the first MMO. I don't even know if MMO's would exist as we know them without Dungeons and Dragons. Now I don't know what the first RPG video game was but even if it was a MMO I would still say that MMO's would be a sub genre of RPG if anything.
    What I meant was, I'm not sure there's a reason to place priority over one or the other.  The question: is an MMORPG an RPG first, or an MMO first?  Doesn't seem to need an answer, though I'll admit genres don't work this way in music ("classic" is the subgenre in "classic rock").

Incidentally, if I was trying to pose the system in a parallel to music, RPG would be the "genre" and MMO would be the "subgenre", I would think.  RPG can be used as a stand-alone term and we know the gameplay experience we're getting.  MMO merely modifies the underlying game genre it's attached to by way of a specific kind of multiplayer to be included (I guess I should say: modifie :D ).
    Arterius

edited June 7
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Dead_Guy said:

What I meant was, I'm not sure there's a reason to place priority over one or the other.  The question: is an MMORPG an RPG first, or an MMO first?  Doesn't seem to need an answer, though I'll admit genres don't work this way in music ("classic" is the subgenre in "classic rock").

Incidentally, if I was trying to pose the system in a parallel to music, RPG would be the "genre" and MMO would be the "subgenre", I would think.
    Again don't really want to get into the argument as a whole. I just think that its crazy to think that an RPG is a subgenre of a MMO. Also I wasn't pointing it towards you at all. I generally agree with your POV. I was more asking MMOExposed what he meant when he said that MMO's were the genre and RPG's are the off shoot

MadFrenchie
    edited June 7
    2014 ME an Intellectual: "I think Destiny is an MMO (At least Lite) here's why I think this"

2014 random mmorpg.com forum user: "IDIOT. YOU MUST THINK A TRUCK IS a CAR TOO!"

2014 ME an Intellectual: "No, mister...there is a diff between a car and a truck, but I do think both of those things can be one thing, it's called a Crossover SUV. We say Truck when we mean SUV because an SUV is a type of truck. People that drive Range Rover don't say I'm going to wash my SUV, they say they are washing the -truck-. Although it's not exactly a -truck- (SUV), they aren't exactly wrong for saying it." 

2019 Bungie Creators of Destiny: "Destiny is an Action MMO" 
    2019 Me an Intellectual: "Nice."
    2019 random mmorpg.com user: "Bungie is stupid, booooooo klash2def the *insert random insult*!" 

2019 Me an Intellectual:

ArteriusVermillion_RaventhalSteelhelm
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,448
    MOST people,likely 90% or more THINK a MMO is how many people can login and do not take into consideration the actual game play where it really matters.
    If a game like Wow for example has an end game where everyone is in instances or ALL their dungeons are instances,it is NOT a MMO.

A MMO is where everyone can see and react to the other online players.Just like real life,you do not have to be interacting at all times but the possibility should be there.

I have not been playing mmorpg's for awhile now but if memory serves me FFXI is one of the ONLY mmorpg's where you can react with a group even if not in that group.So using that as the template,most every game takes a downward spiral from FFXI's design when we SHOULD be trying to improve the mmo and the RPG aspect,most games do neither well.
    Arteriusmmolou

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    MOST people,likely 90% or more THINK a MMO is how many people can login and do not take into consideration the actual game play where it really matters.
    If a game like Wow for example has an end game where everyone is in instances or ALL their dungeons are instances,it is NOT a MMO.

A MMO is where everyone can see and react to the other online players.Just like real life,you do not have to be interacting at all times but the possibility should be there.

I have not been playing mmorpg's for awhile now but if memory serves me FFXI is one of the ONLY mmorpg's where you can react with a group even if not in that group.So using that as the template,most every game takes a downward spiral from FFXI's design when we SHOULD be trying to improve the mmo and the RPG aspect,most games do neither well.
    So your saying that the only MMO in history is FFXI. That is one hot take.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,902
    DMKano said:
    Lock thread pls
    No way

This is the argument that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started arguing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue arguing it forever just because... This is the...
    klash2defMadFrenchieArterius
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

‘real MMO’ people are not experts in MMO's they just remember some stuff from a very narrow window of their life when they cared lol

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member RarePosts: 3,414
    MMOs are numbers wrapped in skins.
    Sadly.

Once upon a time....