Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard: Feature Rich - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard: Feature Rich - MMORPG.com

MSI's performance series' of gaming motherboards have been receiving accolades, so when we decided to build a new Ryzen system, we had to reach out. Today, we're looking at the X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, an enthusiast class motherboard for gamers wanting to push their systems to the limits.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    You should add the ram issues into the con list as most ryzen users will want to run their ram at 3200.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Asm0deus said:

You should add the ram issues into the con list as most ryzen users will want to run their ram at 3200.

To be fair, most reviews I've seen with Ryzen, the RAM speed has capped out at something shy of 3000 Mhz. I've heard some reports of people getting it that high, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule - at least right now.

I found this thread to be an amusing and informative way to look at it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ie6vw/ram_overclocking_on_ryzen_in_map_form/
    Asm0deus
    edited September 2017
    Ridelynn said:

Asm0deus said:

To be fair, most reviews I've seen with Ryzen, the RAM speed has capped out at something shy of 3000 Mhz. I've heard some reports of people getting it that high, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule - at least right now.

I found this thread to be an amusing and informative way to look at it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ie6vw/ram_overclocking_on_ryzen_in_map_form/
    Ram has been an issue from the start for ryzen, now whether it's silicon lottery or other xyz problems it's an on giong issue and should be reported as such.

Dunno but g skill, crucial and patriot are not shitty rinky dinky ram companies and if msi says they should work at 3200mhz then they should work at 3200mhz.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6432fb/ram_for_ryzen_and_hitting_3200mhz/

Right now it seems you need to look up what MB your going to use and see QVL list and running after B-die etc etc which shouldn't be happening which is why I am waiting...seriously ram speed should be in the con list for any ryzen mb till this is worked out.

Ridelynn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Torval said:
    You should always check the hardware vendor list for your motherboard, especially for RAM and M.2 devices.
    You're right, you should.

But I will say, out of all the computers I've built, I've never explicitly checked the QVL. I got RAM that was within the ratings of the motherboard/CPU, for certain, but I never bothered with checking for specific brand/SKU on a QVL - and knock on wood, I've not had any issues with non-compatibility ... yet. But then again, I've not built any Ryzen systems either.
    Asm0deus
    edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Torval said:
    You should always check the hardware vendor list for your motherboard, especially for RAM and M.2 devices.
    You're right, you should.

But I will say, out of all the computers I've built, I've never explicitly checked the QVL. I got RAM that was within the ratings of the motherboard/CPU, for certain, but I never bothered with checking for specific brand/SKU on a QVL - and knock on wood, I've not had any issues with non-compatibility ... yet. But then again, I've not built any Ryzen systems either.
    I didn't used to either. And it used to be a lot harder to find reliable info like that. Often it was poorly scanned tiffs embedded in a pdf. But now it's often easy to find and helpful for ensuring you're matching the right memory module on Newegg or Amazon. You can also learn a bit about some of the memory features by researching some of the RAM models on the QVL.

Mostly though what triggered the response is his comment that in complex hardware configurations needing to verify hardware on a QVL is a bad thing. I don't see it that way. Some hardware setups are very flexible and others aren't. It seems pretty obvious that this platform isn't as flexible in some ways so checking the QVL and understanding the traits of the hardware on that list makes sense right? Or am I just crazy.
    You misunderstand.... even doing all that you're not assured it will work. Something is not working right as far as ram is suppose to compared to pre ryzen.

You ever have to look for "amd" ram or "intel" ram?  Why suddenly is this seeming to be the case.... something is off and needs addressing I am just not sure from who or if it just one issue.

Right now it seem more complicated to find ram that will work at 3200mhz for ryzen than actually doing your whole pc build research...

Whats next SSD's that don't work well with intel but do with ryzen and vice versa?
    Ridelynn

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    With up to date bios, you should be able to get most 3200mhz ram working at 3200mhz running 2 dimms. Running 4 and you will have trouble running past 2400 mhz.
    Asm0deus