Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elitist vs Coordination vs Bad Players vs Gamesplaining

VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
Thought this would make an interesting topic since many never know the difference. Do you guys think this healer was an...

Elitist
or
Trying to coordinate/Teamwork

As for the players...
Do you think they had any desire to get better (or at least not suck)
or
Just didn't care about being carried and taxing anyone who wants to be successful through the dungeon?

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,894
    edited August 2017
    Should've just have gone with the tank limit break in the first place.   Don't those offer some nice party wide defensive buffs and some healing (been a while and very little experience in game, since I couldn't really wade through that story)?   Would have been way better for a casual party IMO.

If you want everything to go right (and the high skill "most correct" way), you shouldn't be using automatic grouping systems.  (this is a better response than unsubtle insults).
    LynxJSA

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,607
    Having been through the same situation many times as a former guild and raider leader, my opinion is the healer was doing everything right - he was polite and informative in trying to help out the group during the fight, only turning angry after the fight. Not an elitist. 

For the other players, I would say they are simply ignorant. When I play a game, any game, I strive to play the game the best I possibly can. I have come to learn that I am in a very small minority, the overwhelming majority just don't give a shit as long as they're still getting somewhere. Its not that they are incapable of becoming better, its not like they're being deliberately lazy or are looking to be carried. They are just completely ignorant of the depths of the game and their own poor performance. My guess is that the dragoon in this instance is probably unaware of how useful their limit break could have been, he probably just views it as another skill that looks kinda cool. 
    LynxJSAVardahoth
  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
    anemo said:
    Should've just have gone with the tank limit break in the first place.   Don't those offer some nice party wide defensive buffs and some healing (been a while and very little experience in game, since I couldn't really wade through that story)?   Would have been way better for a casual party IMO.

If you want everything to go right (and the high skill "most correct" way), you shouldn't be using automatic grouping systems.  (this is a better response than unsubtle insults).
    They offer nice party defense buffs... but in a normal-ish dungeon, I think it's more beneficial to have the best dps limit be used to make the run through quicker. I could be wrong on this though...

Having been through the same situation many times as a former guild and raider leader, my opinion is the healer was doing everything right - he was polite and informative in trying to help out the group during the fight, only turning angry after the fight. Not an elitist. 

For the other players, I would say they are simply ignorant. When I play a game, any game, I strive to play the game the best I possibly can. I have come to learn that I am in a very small minority, the overwhelming majority just don't give a shit as long as they're still getting somewhere. Its not that they are incapable of becoming better, its not like they're being deliberately lazy or are looking to be carried. They are just completely ignorant of the depths of the game and their own poor performance. My guess is that the dragoon in this instance is probably unaware of how useful their limit break could have been, he probably just views it as another skill that looks kinda cool. 
    I agree, these were my thoughts also.

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited August 2017
    *Spams same message 6 times*

"Dude"
    "Omg"
    "Learn to play the game ASAP"

All good until that point. There is a difference between offering corrective advise and being an ass.

If you are spamming you are being an ass (Especially as a healer. You shouldn't have time to spam chat during a fight when you are playing the most important role in the party). If you are telling people "learn to play" you are being an ass. 

When people make mistakes at the end of a wipe, you calmly correct them and go again. I understand that. I main heal in almost every game I can main heal, and as the only role that's supposed to be focused on allies instead of enemies it puts you in a good position to notice if people are making mistakes. So I give a lot of people post combat advise (Or call things out in TS if I can get people in TS). Not everyone is an expert. If you want everyone you run with to be an expert then join a guild that's about that and get in voice comms.

If you are sitting there in a PUG, spamming chat during a fight, telling people to "learn to play" then you are in the wrong. Period.
    Post edited by Eldurian on