Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's vendor vs Auction House , will you still open your own vendor eventhough there is AH ?

2»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Eldurian said:
    I do think that shops if implemented back into games in the exact same fashion of shops that came before will not work that well.

I'd make a couple changes to the shop system:

1. Have a board somewhere in a central location in towns. People have the ability to post descriptions of their shop on this board. That at way you have some idea what shops you are looking for before you run around town stopping at every shop to see they have 3 nails and a rusty pair of scissors. 

2. Have a special order system. Say you go to a blacksmith shop and he has nothing you want. But there is a neato little tool where you can see what items are creatable with that blacksmith's skills and materials, select one of those items, and place an order for it.

The blacksmith then comes back to see the orders. He can respond by sending you a ticket with the price he's willing to give on that item, and how long he will give himself to fulfil the order / how long you will have to pick it up when it's finished. It may also include a request for a downpayment. Once/if you accept his terms, the contract begins and he goes to work on the item, then CODs (A mail that requires payment upon delivery) it to you when finished.

I see that being a system wildly more popular than traditional vendors because let's face it. Half the time we shop at traditional vendors all they have is junk. But if we can put in custom orders, then there is a much higher chance that if we don't find what we are looking for, we can at least find someone who will make it.
    That type of shop is truer to real life than shops where you have no idea what's on them.

I liked the idea of utilizing an order system.  I would enjoy a system where this is rolled into the DAoC one mentioned, where you can choose to pay the shipping charge to a centralized location or travel to pick it up yourself and save that gold.

The nuances of such a system would provide an avenue where both player made shops and a centralized auction house are useful; it's up to the player to decide which is more useful to him or her: the extra time, or the extra gold.
    Well and it has a lot to do with the crafting system too. In WoW or LotRO for example if you want a "Heroic Sword of Demon Slaying", they are all going to be the same weapon. Every item of that type has the same stats as any other item of they type

But for instance in Mortal Online there are multiple components to every type of item, and countless material options for all those components. Some builds require a very specific type of gear made from very specific materials but the stores where players can post items are pretty regular and you probably won't find what you are looking for. The items stocked are really best for newbs who are just desperate for any weapon.

This pretty much requires some players to find crafters who can make what they need the way they want it. In such a crafting system, the system I'm describing would allow people with very specialized equipment needs to more easily find sellers who can meet those needs. In other words, in a highly complex crafting system a good ordering system is better than an auction house for any finished goods.

This is why I've said in other topics if I ever built my ideal MMO I would have localized auction houses for bulk goods such as lumber and ingots, and vendors for finished goods such as swords.
    MadFrenchie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I like the idea of having the materials be in a centralized auction house, but having player made items be in their respective stores.  A crafter can still enjoy building a rep for themselves while providing an avenue for gatherers to conveniently supply those crafters.

That sort of hybrid system certainly seems the most interesting for an MMORPG.
    Gdemami

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 708
    iixviiiix said:
    Player's vendor , old MMORPG player , free tax and AFK all day long
    AH , the modern fast and quick , there is no need to meet with other , have tax and you don't need to login to sell stuff .

So the question is if a game have 2 system at same time , will you still open vendor to sell stuff ?

Even if set up your "vendor", you're going to check the current prices and either match or undercut.  The player is going to search for the best price.  There is little difference between that type of vendor and the AH, other than the "tax".

Good example:  everquest bazaar.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: World of Warcraft Classic, Stuff
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I also really liked the way daoc did it. I usually went to get the items directly if they were high priced to save that fee.

Also, I believe EQs bazaar now has an instant delivery service, for a fee, from a recent expansion. 

I like their barter system too where you can put up items for trade or the money up front for an item and someone can make the deal while you're away.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,974
    I remember playing Lineage before we had player shops. They seemed like such a godsend. After player shops, I couldn't go back to standing in town hours just trying to sell digital bits for a few million digital bucks.

When I discovered the Auction Hall in LotRO I was amazed. It was so cool. I couldn't go back to player shops and weeding through hundreds or thousands of players trying to compare prices.

Then I played EQ2 a year later and the broker seemed like the AH done right. You can adjust prices on the fly, change quantities, take stuff off the market but still keep it in your broker window for later. After that and systems like GW2 Black Lion I can't go back to simple AH's any more either.

Once you move forward why go back? What's the saying? Always forward, always.
    Gdemami
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,733
    I have played games where they have had both and played where they only had AH. I prefer BOTH if they allow more variety on the vendors and yet show WHERE the vendors are on the AH. I think that vendors encourage travel and exploration and are geared to that type of players. AH's are more for the "quick access" player.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    SWG did a good job.  You had auction terminals and crafters could open shops.  It was usually no problem with going to a crafters shop to buy more of their goods after buying a few off the auction terminals.  GW2 also did a good job with being able to sell drops right out of a auction house window or to sell and buy with a portable vendor.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I personally hate player set up shops in most games.  Mostly because you end up spending an entire day just try to find something you need in the one of hundreds of little shops that are taking up half the screen in most games.  The only attraction of player shops is that you can set prices without others to really compare to unless the buyer really knows the market and is willing to spend the time looking through all the shops.  Server wide auction houses offer the ability to buy from anyone without having to spend the time.  The downside is when they put ridiculous taxes on AH.  A game that didn't tax more than 1 to 5 percent of the sell in my opinion beats player shop 1000 time over.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,818
    Plenty titles already developed offline Player shop mechanics so you can sell locally with your personal touch without forcing you to be AFK or even online.

I prefer player shops over anything. That's how is suppose to be. You want to inhabit a digital world and want to have everything handed over to you by game mechanics - that's just lazy.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,974
    There are a lot of ways for people to inhabit and interact in a digital world. I'm not interested in adding additional micromanagement and tedious fiddling just for the sake of it which is what the OP premise rests on.

I don't consider leveraging more efficient systems lazy. I consider that good use of resources and time. That's the point of most sims so don't chastise people for trying to be better players in an online gaming environment.
    GdemamiConstantineMerus
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    iixviiiix said:
    Player's vendor , old MMORPG player , free tax and AFK all day long
    AH , the modern fast and quick , there is no need to meet with other , have tax and you don't need to login to sell stuff .

So the question is if a game have 2 system at same time , will you still open vendor to sell stuff ?

I don't play games to run a store.