Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quitting MMOs for good (edit/update: Not fully since still play Ultima Online/Elite Dangerous)

2»

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I like that you found what you wanted to play. We always see threads about how nobody can ever find an MMO they want to play, and even though you didn't find an MMORPG you wanted to play at least you found something to play and have fun with. 

I'm similar to you in some aspects, I absolutely hate being on the phone (although where I currently work I have to be on it a lot) and I hate talking on voice chat unless it is with someone I know in real life. But I find things I can do solo in MMO's quite often, and ignore the group aspects of them even while doing group activities if that makes sense. If I need to do a dungeon to progress, I join the dungeon and turn off chat so I don't have to talk to people unless necessary. Or I'll participate in a raid without voip or any form of chat as long as I understand the fights (Which I will read up on before doing them). I feel like you can definitely play and enjoy MMO's while not having the social aspect really effect you at all, even while doing the social things in the games. But if that isn't for you, it's good you found what you wanted to do. I'm going to keep riding each game until I get bored, because MMO's are still my favorite genre, even if I have the attention span of a gnat. 
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Grow up. Grow a pair. No one cares if you are quitting/notquitting/quitting/butnotquitequitting MMO's.
    vito11Nepheth7SilentNightsThebeasttt
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    madazz said:
    Grow up. Grow a pair. No one cares if you are quitting/notquitting/quitting/butnotquitequitting MMO's.
    Apparently you cared enough to post here. You lose, he wins.
    I don't care but I care enough to tell you I don't care because you should know who cares and who doesn't and when someone does care you should know the precise amount of care they cast upon you. So just grow a pair, eh?
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    A lot of people ruin MMOs for themselves by playing them obsessively.

The problem with MMOs is that if you let them they tend to consume you in a way very few other games do. Playing them becomes the one singular thing you sink your free time into. Tens, hundreds of thousands of hours. Then, when the burnout comes it hits like a fucking freight train. You get bitter and angry with your game, and you start looking for a fix in other titles. You get into a new MMO and go 'oh, this is so much better' but that only lasts 2-3 months because at that point youre pretty much sick and tired of the whole genre. But you cant accept that so you keep jumping from MMO to MMO until you despise the very nature of those games. 

[Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    madazz said:
    Apparently you cared enough to post here. You lose, he wins.
    I don't care but I care enough to tell you I don't care because you should know who cares and who doesn't and when someone does care you should know the precise amount of care they cast upon you. So just grow a pair, eh?
    Seems like you love telling people to "grow a pair". Why is that? Do you lack one yourself?
    Let's do psychology !
    I was just being funny. :| 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited September 2017
    Rhoklaw said:

So, in summary. MMOs didn't fail, humanity did.
    lol .. really? You form your opinions on humanity solely based on how some people play online games?

Personally, the human elements in the Harvey disaster (like the good samaritans who went out to help and got electrocuted ... literally sacrificing their LIVES to try to help others) is 1000x more telling and important than how some gamers blow off steam in video games.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    So I expanded to a 3rd MMO, Black Desert Online. Dunno if I'll stick with it, but it is a good MMO for my playstyle. No dungeons/raids so no needing voice chat, joined a guild where voice chat isn't required, tons to do for a solo player (probably one of the best solo MMOs out there, especially for an open world one)...only thing...

Not sure about forced PvP. But without PvP, there wouldn't be anything to work for or any obstacle in the game. Its either PvP, or raids and dungeons and I'd pick PvP any time since I don't like raids/dungeons at all due to needing voice chat (at least for the hardest content, depending on the MMO). And honestly, I don't care if a random person runs up and kills me lol. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it adds danger and excitement.

But I've been playing lots of games. Starbound, Civ 4 caveman2cosmos mod, starcraft 2, path of exiles...lots of games. I'm no longer limiting myself to one single game or one genre (MMOs) that I get way too addicted to, that is what happened with WoW lol. When I was playing WoW, literally did no other game and barely anything else but WoW.

But now I'm branched out a lot, and the MMOs I DO play are more my style.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul