Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can this MB use this Graphics Card?

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
Current MB -> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-10#sp
Planned GPU -> GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

My video driver keeps failing and eventually my video will freeze (audio still plays) until I reboot.

I've updated drivers several times, issue remains. I figure my card is dying. It is a Nvidia GeForce 780 Ti

I was going to replace it and just see if the issue goes away, but I thought I might as well get a better card in case there are  more issues and I end up just getting a new PC built.

So the specs on MB says there are a few PCI 2.0 x16 slots, but the specs on Graphics card is Express 3.0 x16

Is there no way to get it in there with that being the case? I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    PCI 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. 2.0 will transfer data somewhat slower than 3.0, but it'll work.

Have you checked that your 780 Ti isn't just overheating? Sometimes when the computer gets older, dust builds up inside the case and it causes overheating. It's easy to fix by cleaning the dust.
    Ridelynn

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I can try for sure, I'll just pick up compressed air tomorrow and try it out. Thanks :)
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2017
    Also can't hurt to check and make sure the fan is actually spinning quickly - sometimes, especially if the bearings are about to go - they will still spin but a lot slower than they should. At full tilt, the fan should be capable of moving a good deal of air.

You can use something like MSI Afterburner (which I believe works with any GPU brand) or EVGA Precision to manually adjust the fan speed.

As far as PCI 2 vs 3 - it will work fine. Any difference in bus speed you likely wouldn't be able to notice even if you had a 3.0 slot to directly compare it to.