Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Base Classes & Abilities Unveiled - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• RadicalJesterXLRadicalJesterXL Member CommonPosts: 2
    Apparently none of you idiot's read. THEY ONLY REVEALED 4 OF THE 8 BASE CLASSES. I'm astounded how so many of you asked " 4!? That's it!? " When it's clearly, CLEARLY stated that this reveal is only 4 out of the 8. If anyone did their research they would know the class system branches out into more advanced archetypes. I remember reading mixing rogue/assassin with mage brings you to necromancer. This is just a glimpse of what is coming. Please do your research before you speak out in criticism. Most of you look ignorant.
    AlomarXarkoMikeha
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Apparently none of you idiot's read. THEY ONLY REVEALED 4 OF THE 8 BASE CLASSES. I'm astounded how so many of you asked " 4!? That's it!? " When it's clearly, CLEARLY stated that this reveal is only 4 out of the 8. If anyone did their research they would know the class system branches out into more advanced archetypes. I remember reading mixing rogue/assassin with mage brings you to necromancer. This is just a glimpse of what is coming. Please do your research before you speak out in criticism. Most of you look ignorant.
    Wow, you are just a wee little ray of sunshine aren't you!
    XarkoConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

SBFord said:

The classes are rather lackluster, I'd agree. However, I'm more interested in the innovative ideas these folks have with regard to the game world itself. As long as I have a fun character to play that is somewhat familiar and that has meaningful progression, then I'm happy, and have less to "worry about" so that I can enjoy the actual world more.

if they cant make the classes innovated, what would make you believe they will achieve anything they promise with the game world?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    It is quit possible that once you pair your base class with your secondary class you get your class name. Like a cleric base with a ranger secondary would be called Druid.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Torval said:
    It is quit possible that once you pair your base class with your secondary class you get your class name. Like a cleric base with a ranger secondary would be called Druid.
    That's how Grim Dawn classes work and people praise it up and down for having an interesting class mechanic.
    Grim Dawn's base classes were way more interesting than these base classes, though, in my opinion.

How many subclasses can you subclass into in this game, anyways?  From what I'm reading from these posts, it's like Tree of Savior where you branch off into multiple subclasses, though even Tree of Savior's base Archer, Wizard, Swordsman (Tank!!!), and Cleric base classes before subclassing had more interesting skills than these, IMHO.

Well, not really that alike.  Subclasses in this game only modify your skills, not add new ones.  While that prevents filling you up with a billion hotkeys, I don't find skill modifications to be as interesting as all new skills, myself, and I don't think most players do either, honestly.  I could be wrong about that.  *shrug*
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    everyone is so desperate to still like the game, its hilarious. just admit it, this news post is extremely anticlimactic
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Whilst I read the article, the direct wording from the AoC guy is what is misleading:

"As a small leak of some of the skills and images of our 4 playable archetypes here are the UI skill windows for the 4 archetypes at PAX"

Definitely makes it sound like there are only four playable archetypes. MOP made the same mistake as well when interpreting the AoC guy. I even went to the AoC website and it is shockingly sparse on information, you have to dig into the FAQ to find out more. But, despite reading the website, I still don't know what sort of combat they are going for (action vs traditional). 

Their class system still seems limiting to me - yes, there are 64 combinations (though, in reality, 56 as it's doubtful anyone would voluntarily not choose a secondary class) - but each class has a very limited number of skills so it looks like combat will still be quite shallow. It also looks like they're sticking with the trinity at this point, but again I can't be sure due to lack of official information. 

I also don't understand the excitement for this game. Granted I've not been following it at all, but from reading their website it looks much less innovative than Pantheon or Chronicles of Elyria, it seems to have a "sandbox for beginners" feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making sandboxes more accessible, it just feels like there isn't really much to AoC to get excited about. 

Still, early days I guess, we'll see what the game looks like closer to release. 
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Their class system still seems limiting to me - yes, there are 64 combinations (though, in reality, 56 as it's doubtful anyone would voluntarily not choose a secondary class) 
    You can "double-spec" on  a class, i.e. mage-mage, giving you extra power on the core abilities. Perhaps some "purists" would opt for that.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Galadourn said:

Their class system still seems limiting to me - yes, there are 64 combinations (though, in reality, 56 as it's doubtful anyone would voluntarily not choose a secondary class) 
    You can "double-spec" on  a class, i.e. mage-mage, giving you extra power on the core abilities. Perhaps some "purists" would opt for that.
    Ah, cool, didn't realise you could double-spec, thanks for the update. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Call it a guardian or a defender but a fantasy class called tank means someone wiped their brain with xango juice.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Not impressed at all.  Will keep a watchful eye on it though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Torval said:
    I also don't understand the excitement for this game. Granted I've not been following it at all, but from reading their website it looks much less innovative than Pantheon or Chronicles of Elyria, it seems to have a "sandbox for beginners" feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making sandboxes more accessible, it just feels like there isn't really much to AoC to get excited about. 

Still, early days I guess, we'll see what the game looks like closer to release. 
    What looks innovative about Pantheon or Elyria? Do people want innovation or do they just want solid familiar gameplay that feels fresh. A game can feel fresh without redesigning the wheel.

The problem with most innovation is that people ask for what they don't actually want. Much of it, like the facial recognition and emoting, ends up being a gimmick that comes across as awkward and dated as it ages. I'm sure /pizza sounded like a great idea at SoE. It was very innovative. :lol:
    Well COE is going with whole aging / permadeath concept and player actions which will impact regional growth,  both could be cool if they can pull it off

Also while you may not like how they monetized it, letting players build the world 3 months before launch is innovative.

On paper they appear to be one of the more innovative teams out there and I'd to see them succeed. 

As for  Ashes, not showing a lot of innovation, but appear to be well ahead of many others who started earlier and seem more likely to succeed than most.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited August 2017
    I recommend reading thru this thread before making any form of posts, the OP sadly makes it out be not what is really going on, sadly, so much about the class system ARE NOT WRITTEN IN THE OP, like class mix, sub classes ect.