Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Imperium shows off 3.0 at the Gamescom 2017 Showfloor

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
On the showfloor at Gamescom they showed off parts of 3.0 for the showfloor attendees.  Combat and gameplay starts at around the 20 min mark. 

Erillion[Deleted User]SirAgravaineOctagon7711

Comments

• VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited August 2017
    Alpha 3.0 Gameplay Demo Walkthrough, from GamesCom (46:35)

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-24-a-long-look-at-impressive-planet-playgrounds-in-star-citizen-alpha-3-0

Happy Hour with Brian Chambers, from GamesCom (45:54)

Similar with Erin Roberts, from GamesCom (44:32)

Post edited by Vikingir on
    Erillion[Deleted User]SirAgravaineZandog
    Best regards,
    Viking
    And a "new" Prospector video from GamesCom:

SirAgravaine[Deleted User]
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Heh, motorcycling through space...

Looking at this footage where a lot of it is just riding/flying around makes me wonder how long the travel times will be in the actual game (if it comes out, of course).  Space is a pretty big place, after all.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Absolutely INSANE Cutlass skydive scoop attempt ...

Have fun

[Deleted User]SirAgravaineMaxBaconMrMelGibsonOctagon7711
    Gamestar interview with Chris Roberts: 

Best regards,
    Viking
    Relay.sc has transcripts of the interviews with Erin and Chris Roberts: 
    https://relay.sc/transcript/gamescom-day-2-live-show-notes-erin-chris-roberts
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Tiamat64 said:
    Heh, motorcycling through space...

Looking at this footage where a lot of it is just riding/flying around makes me wonder how long the travel times will be in the actual game (if it comes out, of course).  Space is a pretty big place, after all.
    You can already fly vaste distance in the PU. Without QD (Quantum Drives) we are talking about (real) day(s) to go from one place to another in the same solar system. 

Someone actually did the test in early 2.0, going from Port Olisar to the nearest POI (a comm relay) in cruise mode. It took more than 19 hours (real life hours), but with QD it's under a minute.

The game isn't meant for people who need everything NOW!.
    Vikingir
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    50 minutes: 

(main event)
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    azarhal said:

The game isn't meant for people who need everything NOW!.
    Yea.  If the game ever does come out, it'll be interesting to see just how many of those backers knew all along what they were getting.  In cases where they end up being dissappointed and not liking it due to things like that (which I imagine will probably happen since so many things about Star Citizen are a specialized niche compared to the mainstream), it'd really be their own fault.

Cause like, if many (not all) of those big backers weren't the type of person that "needs everything NOW", they probably wouldn't be buying all those ships in the first place and instead would be looking forward to earning them in-game.

If Star Ocean comes out as promised, it'll be interesting to see how many backers are in a rude awakening because they didn't actually pay attention to what the game Star Citizen always stated it was going to be.
    End of main event 

awesome capital ship fight, fun multi part mission (do ALL Miles Eckhardt missions end in total slaughter ?). 

My personal highlight was shooting down a ship with a handheld heavy weapon out of a moving Ursa rover! 

Have fun

Vikingir
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, it was impressive at points and also janky at others but if anything it just tells you why it is not released yet.

They take the risk in doing it live, but better live with a crash and the bugs than pre-recorded where everything goes perfectly.

Now if something I wasn't expecting it's them having the facial tracking with voice-chat; that is incredibly impressive to have in one online game, I always imagined the day we could see MMO's or online games with voice chatting able capture the player's face to talk, do emotes and all that jazz, making characters no longer static and disconnected from voice, the head tracking embed is a boon.

Still fluff, but shows how heavily SC invests in Roleplay, this is one great thing for it. What was part of 3.0 seems great, Levski itself is quite the jump from last year it now looks like one big Asteroid. I liked the "The Sims" approach to AI, instead of scripted paths in a loop NPCs roam around with needs and drivers, also seems 3.0 does have a tier of Procedural Missions, not a limited amount (side of the limited type of missions).
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    MaxBacon said:

Now if something I wasn't expecting it's them having the facial tracking with voice-chat; that is incredibly impressive to have in one online game, I always imagined the day we could see MMO's or online games with voice chatting able capture the player's face to talk, do emotes and all that jazz, making characters no longer static and disconnected from voice, the head tracking embed is a boon.
    EQ2 has that since 2012 (SOEmote, SC has more detailed face though). The video-chat is pretty cool though.

The presentation was very buggy, but having seen a lots of the show floor gameplay during the previous days, I wasn't surprised. 

I was pretty impressed by the view distance, you could see the super tiny dude running beside the Idris.  Also, you can spy on other people's mobiglass. ;)

I can't wait to try 3.0. Hopefully, missions actually allow you to keep a ship afloat, because going by the demo, it gets destroyed often...
    edited August 2017
    Faceware press release about working with CIG:

http://facewaretech.com/cloud-imperium-games-and-faceware-bring-real-time-character-to-character-chat-to-star-citizen/
    Using Faceware’s soon-to-be-released facial motion sensor, this new feature enables Cloud Imperium and any Star Citizen to detect hundreds of facial movements in a variety of lighting conditions. 
    The sensor itself will be released later and required to use this tech on the client side. No price on the sensor yet, as I can see.
    Star Citizen is the very first game to use this production-quality facial technology as middleware running in-engine.

So other games before SC has used Faceware tech to generate faces (for emotes), but SC is the first game to include the tech software into the game engine itself.

Edit: CIG's post about the same:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16085-Faceware-Technologies-Announcement

With Faceware’s upcoming motion sensor, you’ll be able to have all of your facial animations scanned, analyzed, and instantly streamed at 60fps right onto your character’s face within the ‘Verse. Alternatively, you can use your system’s built-in webcam (quality of the facial detection may very by model).

Which means players won't have to use Faceware's sensor.

Best regards,
    Viking
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Cool videos.  Hope this releases.  I also hope I won't have to build a new computer to run it lol.
    edited August 2017
    About user face animation in Star Citizen, it was planned over 4 years ago.

Source: http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-gamescom-2017-presentation/#comment-3488997002

Edit: And there's also the $22M stretch goal, which will be overachieved with this new FOIP tech. :smile:
    Erillion
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Vikingir said:
    About user face animation in Star Citizen, it was planned over 4 years ago.

Source: http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-gamescom-2017-presentation/#comment-3488997002

What's your point? Who cares if it was planned over 4 years ago. How about they finish core systems first before they start adding fluff that most of the playerbase probably will not want 
    Odeezeebartoni33sgel
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Kefo said:

What's your point? Who cares if it was planned over 4 years ago. How about they finish core systems first before they start adding fluff that most of the playerbase probably will not want 
    I think the point was, while it may not have been you, people were using the facial animation tech as a platform to be dissident about 'feature creep' when it was planned to have it in game the entire time.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    Zandog said:
    I think the point was, while it may not have been you, people were using the facial animation tech as a platform to be dissident about 'feature creep' when it was planned to have it in game the entire time.
    It is illogical, is it not ?

CIG are working on the promised funding goals ... and people criticise them for it. They forget that there are around 400 people working on different aspects. Just because one hears of one aspect does not mean that the rest of the devs are not working on other aspects equally hard.

Have fun