Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the best free MMORPG out now?

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Project Gorgon has been in development for many years....Im not even sure how far back it goes but I would guess at least 5 years...Even today there isnt much content, thats why you have pig, cow, spider play because there isnt much content otehrwise.
    [Deleted User]
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Eldurian said:

Gorgon will cap out fast and then die a long slow death. It's sad to say that because it deserves a chance to succeed so much more than than the endless march of Asian MMOs that are all great to decent graphics but really never should have been made (Riders of Icarus, Dragon's Prophet, Revolution etc.)

No one "deserves" anything is a free market. If Asian MMOs are successful with large audiences, who are you to say they should not be made?

You want to deprive others' of their fun just because you don't like what they like? What an elitist!

Luckily you are not the dictator to decide what gets made.
    I say they never should have been made because they offer nothing the market didn't already have. The announced to great fanfare then quickly fell into obscurity. Like ArcheLord and ArcheLord 2 before them they are basic games with little to offer that will quickly die out.

The market is already killing them. There is nobody worth mentioning that would be deprived of their fun if they had never been made. Just a poor investment that never panned out because developers were slow to learn that consumers who want WoW already play WoW. 
    KyleranGdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Scolioz said:
    with great graphics...  black desert sucks

I would have to say "ESO" I would say GW2, although the game is better than a lot I have seen and does have decent graphics the game simply lacks much content that should be there such as.

. Boss Timers for world bosses displayed on each map / zone and a customizable timer in game for players to see and teleport to closest points.

. No actual player housing other than the cheap little instance

. No Farming / Gathering mechanics that could be in an instanced player housing area.

Game could be much better but I think even "Ashes OF Creation" has the potential to put GW2 player base out of business if done properly, notice I say if done properly because I am not sure how good the game will because its not out yet.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Eldurian said:
     developers were slow to learn that consumers who want WoW already play WoW. 
    Not all of them. Clearly Blizz killed Titan and made Overwatch precisely because there is no point for a new AAA MMORPG. 
  • TarindilTarindil Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Depends on what you like for free.

For me:
    1. The Rift.....awesome housing that is like a game in itself.  It has the standard, dungeons, mobs, pvp etc. IMO since you can buy 'REX's' (credits) off of the AH from other players, this is the 'true' free game.
    2. LoTRO....Although I did buy a lifetime membership years back, it's free today. Scenery is outdated, yet still some of the prettiest scenery on current games.

I would have added ESO. I did buy that too so not free. For me their UI/movement is horrible. No AH for solo players...game is unplayable for me.

Any free game that has open world pvp is a huge turn off for me.  I am a PVE'r, I would not mind if I could flag myself on a game to not pvp, but open world is a deal breaker.  I sit back and watch hype over "________" (insert any new game in space) and within a year folks are gone. Open world pvp in the end seems to turn off most people.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Not all of them. Clearly Blizz killed Titan and made Overwatch precisely because there is no point for a new AAA MMORPG. 
    What they said was that Titan just wasn't as fun as they thought it would be so they reused parts that was fun into something else.

That does not mean there is no point in AAA MMORPGs, just that there is no point making Titan.
    ConstantineMerusKyleranAzaron_NightbladeAvarixCecropia
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Best MMO?  Oh that's easy, I'll go with Clash Royale.

*grabs popcorn*
    Loke666 said:
    What they said was that Titan just wasn't as fun as they thought it would be so they reused parts that was fun into something else.

That does not mean there is no point in AAA MMORPGs, just that there is no point making Titan.
    Of course they said that. Did you see them, or any other AAA western dev, jumping back into AAA MMORPG development?

Action speaks louder than marketing spin. They couldn't diss MMORPG openly, just on the off chance of losing some businesses, even if they believe so, right?
    GdemamiKyleranalivenCecropia
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited August 2017
    Loke666 said:

Of course they said that. Did you see them, or any other AAA western dev, jumping back into AAA MMORPG development?

Action speaks louder than marketing spin. They couldn't diss MMORPG openly, just on the off chance of losing some businesses, even if they believe so, right?
    That only means there was no point for a new AAA MMORPG for Blizzard at that time. Doesn't mean anything else. Anything you add post this statement is personal opinions and merely speculations. You can't turn this into a rule. Heck, we can't even be sure Blizzard made the right decision by calling off Titan, they don't know it themselves. Of course they have assessed the situation and made a decision which they thought it was best for them. That ends there. 

Blizzard doesn't have many games. They surely don't want to compete with themselves. They started development of Titan at WoW's peak (I could be mistaken here, it's been years). One assessment could be by the time of release of Titan, WoW would be on a very different state, so would be the other competitors. 

But that wasn't the case. Their juggernaut stayed at the top. Why would they try to topple the king themselves? 

So yeah, there was no reason for Blizzard to make a new AAA MMORPG anymore. But there are countless of reasons for others to do so. As long as there is a throne and a kingdom, others would try to claim it. 

This is also my personal opinion and speculation. I can easily be wrong as well! :)
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Azaron_Nightblade
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Best dessert is NY style cheesecake. 

Best game? Meh...rather have cheesecake...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Right cant we talk food instead?
  • Iapetus2.0Iapetus2.0 Member CommonPosts: 3
    For braindeath - agar.io

For nostalgia - Rogue clone

For something lorepacked- Flamefrost:Legacy
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The best is always the one you are not playing  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Tarindil said:

1. The Rift.....awesome housing that is like a game in itself.  It has the standard, dungeons, mobs, pvp etc. IMO since you can buy 'REX's' (credits) off of the AH from other players, this is the 'true' free game.
    2. LoTRO....Although I did buy a lifetime membership years back, it's free today. Scenery is outdated, yet still some of the prettiest scenery on current games.

Will agree that Rift is great value for a free to play. Content in masses. 

Lotro is scam. Pure and simple. You propably are not aware of this because you payed for lifetime but f2p players have access to couple first zones and then all quests are behind paywall. You can obviously work in slave camp and farm in game currency while simultaneously hating that scam of f2p. 

I would suggest GW2, best in the free to play market. To bad expansions are b2p. 

Will suggest buying either gw2 expansions and enjoy the best value on mmo market or buy eso. Keep in mind eso is heavy with dlc and has one expansion, Morrowind. You can get dlc by paying standard sub fee but expansion need to be buy separatly. 

If i would have option to get either eso with all dlc and exp or gw2 with exp i would chose GW2. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Loke666 said:

Their development also stagnated due constantly going back to the drawing board. It sounded like it was one of those projects that have difficulty right from the start.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• XtrizXtriz Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I say GW2, I have played gw2 for long time now, and I have tried and jump to other games, but always came back to gw2. And soon the exp is here with mounts!
    Siphaed

Like Fantasy Sidescroller? Join http://blixtenquest.com now !

• CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    ESO has become somewhat of a lag fest depending on where you play from currently.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Eldurian said:
    I say they never should have been made because they offer nothing the market didn't already have. The announced to great fanfare then quickly fell into obscurity. Like ArcheLord and ArcheLord 2 before them they are basic games with little to offer that will quickly die out.

The market is already killing them. There is nobody worth mentioning that would be deprived of their fun if they had never been made. Just a poor investment that never panned out because developers were slow to learn that consumers who want WoW already play WoW. 
    In South Korea Lineage is still far larger then Wow and Blade and Soul is the top dog right now. Check out NC Softs earning numbers, the market is certainly not killing them.

That is a local market of course but China and Japan still make good bucks on their MMOs, it is in the West people tired and stopped making them.

That only means there was no point for a new AAA MMORPG for Blizzard at that time. Doesn't mean anything else. 

Is there a point for a new AAA MMORPG now? I think not. 
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Secret World Legends,  excellent quests, great content, they changed up the combat to be more free-aiming like GW2 and since it's been amazing revisiting the game.  It has the best investigation type quests that actually use brain power to finish.  Out of all the free, this is overall the best, no p2w crap, tons of content and more.  Plus killing zombies, witches, with a Hammer and shotgun combo is so satisfying, it casual as well doesn't require a lot of time investment, so it's easy in and out when you want.  I didn't look it might be Buy2play, I don't recall I have the original game so I didn't check but either way it's still a very very fun game.  Amazing instanced adventures and tons of lore.  PVP back in the day was fun, not sure what they have now but it'll be a lot better since the game mechanics got revamped completely including the skill system which is no longer the gigantic wheel.   Only down side is the visual quality and the art style could use a boost, but still playable I don't mind when the game is dang fun compared to most of the free ones out right now.  Good amount of players, easy group up the system, gear isn't a huge deal as skill based can win a fight as well but like any game, there are limits to that.  It is zone based but the zones are massive and filled to the brim with fun quests, events and tons of exploration and hidden quests that require thinking to find and complete.  Other than this mmorpg (near true minus persistent world) a lot out there are pretty boring compared to what Secret World Legends offers.  Technically WOW can be free if you have enough gold lol.  
    Agent_JosephThanepsychosiz1
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Best FTP would be Wildstar.
    [Deleted User]psychosiz1HuntrezzMitara
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Such a subjective thing but for some of the better free to plays I would suggest:

GW2
    Star Wars the Old Republic
    TERA
    Blade & Soul
    Rift
    EVE (not really F2P but you get to fly anything up to a T1 cruiser in the "free" version)
    Project 1999 if you feel some nostalgia for old school EQ
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If you like story then SWTOR, the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior stories are fantastic
    [Deleted User]
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD