Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rise of Agon's dev's latest change to their game - what do you think?

MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/making-character-progression-casual-friendly.13944/

The devs want to make the game more casual friendly (great!). But to the devs that means being "PvP viable" (their words) within 15 hours.

Many are saying that this change makes no sense in the context of an MMORPG.  And that this change is taking Rise of Agon far away from being an MMORPG and more like an arena/deathmatch/PUBG setup.

Take a look at the link and let us know what you think.

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I understand why they want to change. The developers are working hard, and they want to break out of the increasingly niche model of locking PVP behind a long PVE grind.

However, the current players have signed up for exactly that. They have dozens or hundreds of hours invested in their characters, and now they're being told new players will be able to achieve parity in 15 hours.

I understand both sides, but I would probably side with the players on this one. With so many choices of accessible and competitive PVP experiences available to gamers (MOBA, Arena, Deathmatch) these days; simply reducing the PVE grind down to 15 hours will change nothing.

A 15 hour grind to be "PVP viable"? Come on, get real.

Maejohl
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The whole game is around the basis that your character develops rather slow, by doing specific tasks. The grind was fun for me because it was dangerous out in the world and took a while (and for some reason I like grinding in games). Plus becoming PvP viable was a feat and felt great when you finally get to start winning battles. 

I understand the idea behind it, they want people to get ready faster. They want the people who aren't willing to devote THAT much time to be viable faster to retain a bigger audience. The problem is the game is niche to begin with, and a majority of the people who are into this sort of game are okay with the grind. So, trying to branch out into an audience makes sense, but most of the audience they are trying to cater to aren't looking to play an old school open world pvp full loot game, with relatively oldschool graphics.

What would happen if runescape were to do something similar? It would completely destroy the games audience. Especially people who have dumped thousands of hours into the game. If it took 1 day to get to 99 as opposed to hundreds of hours, the people who dumped the hundreds of hours aren't going to be happy and then you lose one audience for the hope to gain another. 

I'm hoping it pans out okay for them, I really like darkfall but I won't play it again until the communities for each game build up enough to know which would be more populated. I don't want to start to play a game like darkfall and end up having to go to another server if one dies.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    This will not help attract MMO players.  Maybe they are going for arena instant action PvPers.  Holding out hope for ND or UW reopening.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    edited August 2017
    Sorry wrong thread.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    When I learned that even members of YOUR OWN FACTION can, and will, loot your body....I dropped this game never to return.
    Maejohl
  • MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126
    So far this isn't looking very positive.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It really sounds like the developers aren't sure what type of game they want to make.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Any more comments or ideas?