Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shockingly Awful Community And Community Management

124»

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is the best most entertaining thread I've read in a long time on MMORPG.com
    postlarval

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    This is the best most entertaining thread I've read in a long time on MMORPG.com
    yeah its a hoot for me too

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SEANMCAD said:

that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what I am saying.

your still fixated on the question of is it is cult or not and for the 4th time I am saying IT DOES NOT MATTER if its a cult or not.

i think your obbsession with trying to proove that its a cult is to convince yourself, becuase it should be clear by now that in regards to my point it doesnt matter and I dont give a fuck if its actually a cult or not.

so your just trying to convince yourself at this point

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I genuinely believed we were talking about whether or not SotA was a cult... because they are you wanted to know how that would work out in two weeks.

Seriously, if we're not talking about the Cult of Richard then I really have no idea what's going on here in this thread right now.

Village of the Damned!

I love that movie. :-)
    Ice-QueenRawyn

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:

that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what I am saying.

your still fixated on the question of is it is cult or not and for the 4th time I am saying IT DOES NOT MATTER if its a cult or not.

i think your obbsession with trying to proove that its a cult is to convince yourself, becuase it should be clear by now that in regards to my point it doesnt matter and I dont give a fuck if its actually a cult or not.

so your just trying to convince yourself at this point

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I genuinely believed we were talking about whether or not SotA was a cult... because they are you wanted to know how that would work out in two weeks.

Seriously, if we're not talking about the Cult of Richard then I really have no idea what's going on here in this thread right now.

Village of the Damned!

I love that movie. :-)
    oh cool I will have to check that out!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wrote a bad review and out of 419 people, 417 found it to be helpful. Glad I could be 99.52% helpful with that review. Must be bad if 417 random people are in agreeance from a review from a random person.
    GdemamiAron_Swordmasterblorpykins

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    SEANMCAD said:
    yeah its a hoot for me too
    Me too, although you won't have the self awareness to understand why.

Is there something about declaring Shroud of the Avatar's community is more concerned with maintaining their own internal sense of personal definition, before making a game other people actually wants to play that hits too close to home for you personally, perchance?

Because I've had quite a few people throw massive fits about using the word Cult online, people who, with even the slightest observation are obviously seriously damaged in real life.

Have you seen what happened after this thread started? 

There doesn't seem to be a way to link to individual posts on these forums, so I'm going to quote the relevant part of the reply;

The background? The community starts an open attempt to manipulate the steam reviews. They've done this in the past before, with an actual Dev call to put positive reviews up; but it's an article of faith within the Cult that we must be doing this too, because otherwise why would the game be so downvoted?

One of the developers even came to Reddit and tried to claim that the opposite was occurring, and outright lied to claim he'd kept evidence of organised negative voting that never actually happened.  I openly stated I'd bet him the cost of a new Shroud account, and donate it to someone who wanted it, if he could prove we actually did what we already had shown both his own team, and his community does to manipulate the reviews.

He refused to back up his disgusting lies with proof.

Now the community is actively manipulating Steam reviews again, and are openly bragging about it.

The really hilarious thing; Look to page 2; Jammaplaya (the sociopath who threatens people's children, hacks accounts, and constantly runs multiple sockpuppets to harass you openly everywhere) was, at the same time, using two more accounts on Reddit to abuse me. I directly explain to him that he's shooting the community in the foot by doing so, but oh don't leap into that briar patch, Br'er Jamma! What do you think happens? He immediately goes back to the forums and openly talks about setting up multiple accounts on Steam to manipulate the reviews. 

One of the community, MrBlight desperately tries to reason with him to not even to pretend to do this, it's just giving people ammunition to attack the game... but he doubles down on bragging about his supposed super wizard class hackstar powers. 

Some of you asked where the proof was; even though I'd already copiously archived it in the links you were TL:DRing.  Well, immediately after the community openly provides it yet again.

Notice in that thread they even re-write history from only a few days before, to claim people stalk and harass people making positive reviews.  The actual facts can be seen here.

What really happened was the user in question put up a review, got downvoted without any comment, proceeded to repeat paranoia from within the Cult Bubble about what downvoting means, made an edit accusing everyone doing so of being angry and harassing her, comments which in the above link, you can see she herself admits could be read as nasty, and then when I respond and say basically "Bollocks." she goes to the official forums and opens up a thread herself calling for everyone to insult me, and the community piles in.  A thread which remains up, and the mod blames ME for getting locked.

Then when the review was changed to negative, when she actually played the game itself and realised it's as bobbins as we all said, she agrees with the critics, even though she's previously blocked most of us from the review so we cant reply at all; but her review still gets dogpiled by pathological liars who continue to use it for the personal abuse of me that she's just encouraged. I wish I'd way backed it constantly, because there were some wonderful examples from MrAdventur3 on it just before it went down for good.

Did they defend her review though? Hell no, all the Positive votes disappeared when the game review became negative; they don't care about truth, they're just defending the Cult of Shroud.

So do I care that someone with a definition of how he expects people to talk to him even before they try as his signature is upset about the term "Cult"?  Hell no again. If the hat fits, they should wear it.

Gdemamiblorpykins
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I've found the exact opposite about this game. The gameplay itself is bland and stale. There is nothing really exceptional about the game aside from the fact it's free to play after purchase and you are allowed to sell your in-game gold.

The community is exceptionally friendly and helpful though. I literally have not had issues with a single member of it thus far, and have had very positive experiences with most interactions. It's perhaps one of the best communities I've experienced. 

I'm assuming 100% of the difference in our experiences comes from the fact that any community will seem toxic if you sit there bashing their game constantly. Social interactions are kind of like karma that way.

Be toxic, get toxicity. That's how the world works.
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    edited August 2017
    Eldurian said:
    I've found the exact opposite about this game. The gameplay itself is bland and stale. There is nothing really exceptional about the game aside from the fact it's free to play after purchase and you are allowed to sell your in-game gold.

The community is exceptionally friendly and helpful though. I literally have not had issues with a single member of it thus far, and have had very positive experiences with most interactions. It's perhaps one of the best communities I've experienced. 

I'm assuming 100% of the difference in our experiences comes from the fact that any community will seem toxic if you sit there bashing their game constantly. Social interactions are kind of like karma that way.

Really.

Complete BS.

You think we all started out toxic towards them?

You have a group on there that messages each other to ban people they don't like.  This can come down to as little as an idea that they think might hurt their RMT.  Their were decisions made throughout the development that were forced through by these guys.

Generally, if they were a lord/baron etc they worked together as it is pretty much an investment.

I have a few friends still on there but by and large this community is very insular and almost cult like.

EDIT:  I even had one poster, Jammaplaya threaten my family.  Literally over a game he was trying to find out where I lived and threatened me.  Karma indeed.

My history went from being a huge supporter to calling these guys out.
    Aron_SwordmasterGdemami
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Eldurian said:

First off, F2P is free to play and B2P is not free, you buy a buy to play game.  Shroud of the Avatar is a B2P game with a F2P cash shop... they sell you everything...  if you're not payin, you're not playin.

Second thing... your experience in the community will be directly proportional to how much money you spend.  Do you have a history of spending in the add-on store in your account?  If yes, the devs and the moderators will give you a pass on whatever you say. The whales will give you a pass so long as you're a good customer... you sound the sort of fellow that grinds a lot and probably sells to one of the bigger fish.  You're experience will remain ok so long as you don't dip too deep into any of the more established whale pockets.

Aron_SwordmasterGdemami
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Eldurian said:

First off, F2P is free to play and B2P is not free, you buy a buy to play game.  Shroud of the Avatar is a B2P game with a F2P cash shop... they sell you everything...  if you're not payin, you're not playin.

Second thing... your experience in the community will be directly proportional to how much money you spend.  Do you have a history of spending in the add-on store in your account?  If yes, the devs and the moderators will give you a pass on whatever you say. The whales will give you a pass so long as you're a good customer... you sound the sort of fellow that grinds a lot and probably sells to one of the bigger fish.  You're experience will remain ok so long as you don't dip too deep into any of the more established whale pockets.

I would also suggest he not question anything that might affect RMT as that will make them turn on him.  Also, do not question any of the MMO features or bring up kickstarter, at all.
    blorpykinsAron_Swordmaster
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2017
    I would think most understand that Shroud is obviously not the worst game out there but also not the best.

The real problem i have is with it's monetary setup,with a cash shop/RMT setup i am completely removed from caring about the game.

I don't like greed,i don't like devs that makes games just for profit and not because  they love gaming and want to make great games.Really i just look back and Richard sold his now defunct game "TR" to NCsoft,so he quickly grabbed at the money instead of finishing his game.So that one moment in time really sums up what Garriot is truly all about,even though i believe at  one time he just loved to make a great game.

So when the lead owner really only cares about money,what  could you possibly expect for community?
    Aron_Swordmaster

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Eldurian said:

Ever wonder why you're getting it here then?

Frankly, you're blatantly obviously a self absorbed hypocrite; you've argued against criticising Shroud for months, attacking people that try and point out the flaws, all the while putting on a blatantly false veneer of supposedly being unconnected to the game, which only now do you drop and admit you use it as an RMT business.

You even go as far as victim blaming in this thread. 

Even though all the evidence of past support, and community toxicity is archived. 

Perhaps because our morality isn't "100% based" on shifting principles to justify our own selfish needs, but on a game based on Virtues like the original Ultimas.

Ladies and gentleman, Shroud of the Avatar's active community. This is what you'll get if you criticise "their" game which they openly don't care about, but get in the way of selling "their gold".
    Gdemami
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited August 2017
    Eldurian said:

I guess you haven't gotten death threats like other's have?

I guess you haven't been banned from their forums (SotA/Steam) for being negative towards the game?

I guess you like such censorship and dislike an open discussion from both the positive and negative sides?

I guess you accept that the more money you invest the more you can influence the progress of the game.

I guess you like RMT and 30000$ castles.

I guess you have blindfolder's on.
    Gdemami
    edited August 2017
    @Aron_Swordmaster

Lol. "Victim blaming?" So you are all victims now? I've never even encountered you before and my first post on the SOTA boards at mmorpg.com the one that made a few days ago that got you triggered. Only other time I've posted in the subject was when blorpykins went off about it in the pub a few weeks ago.

You're clearly so unhinged with rage it's hindering your ability to think / get your fact straight. Calm your SJW down for a second and breath. lol

Victim blaming... X'D. 
    Gdemamipostlarval
    Eldurian said:
    @Aron_Swordmaster

Lol. "Victim blaming?" So you are all victims now? I've never even encountered you before and my first post on the SOTA boards at mmorpg.com the one that made a few days ago that got you triggered. Only other time I've posted in the subject was when blorpykins went off about it in the pub a few weeks ago.

You're clearly so unhinged with rage it's hindering your ability to think / get your fact straight. Calm your SJW down for a second and breath. lol

Victim blaming... X'D. 

See what I mean folks? Could you have asked for a more perfect illustration of the toxicity and self-obsession of the Shroud community than this response? :D

He's never come across me before... and yet he's posting in a thread I've started?  You'd think he'd at least have made the effort to read what it was about, eh?

"The only other time I've posted..."  because if a narcissist doesn't acknowledge you, you don't exist! I apparently couldn't possibly have formed an opinion for myself, independent of his oh-so-important-ness about how blatantly dishonest he was being then! It's all about whether he sees me, history starts at Year Zero the moment he does.

And then we have "Triggered" and "SJW" and yes all the full range of Trumpisms, including a complete lack of empathy.  Remarkable. 

With finally the usual Shroud Cult nonsense again that if I just assert something is true, it must be.  But yes, if it makes you feel better, you poor little thing, I'm consumed with rage right now. I'm definitely not just leaving traps for you ghastly, toxic anti-social, greed driven hypocrites to fall right into and illustrate with your own actions why people need to stay far, far away from you inhuman Objectivist monsters.

And the evidence that I prod the sociopathic Jammaplaya into doing the exact same thing was never posted either. No one in the world can read for themselves if you demand it! It's all true! You control the world by thought alone!

You sad, sad little man.

GdemamiRawyn
    edited August 2017

Frankly, you're blatantly obviously a self absorbed hypocrite; you've argued against criticising Shroud for months, attacking people that try and point out the flaws, all the while putting on a blatantly false veneer of supposedly being unconnected to the game, which only now do you drop and admit you use it as an RMT business.
    Eldurian said:

I've never even encountered you before and my first post on the SOTA boards at mmorpg.com the one that made a few days ago that got you triggered. Only other time I've posted in the subject was when blorpykins went off about it in the pub a few weeks ago.

See what I mean folks? Could you have asked for a more perfect illustration of the toxicity and self-obsession of the Shroud community than this response? :D

He's never come across me before... and yet he's posting in a thread I've started?  You'd think he'd at least have made the effort to read what it was about, eh?

"The only other time I've posted..."  because if a narcissist doesn't acknowledge you, you don't exist! I apparently couldn't possibly have formed an opinion for myself, independent of his oh-so-important-ness about how blatantly dishonest he was being then! It's all about whether he sees me, history starts at Year Zero the moment he does.
    I see what I said flew straight over you're head so perhaps laid out in this format it will make sense to you.

What I'm saying is you're either a liar or unhinged. You accused me of defending this game for months.

I have not. 

You accuse me of attacking all these different people to defend by apparently beloved SoTA. That list includes blorpykins and you.

You pretend like I'm this game's champion. I attacked one person who obsessively posts about SOTA everywhere they can to the point of ridiculousness and one person who absolutely flipped out because of that.

You say I did this "all the while putting on a blatantly false veneer of supposedly being unconnected to the game, which only now do you drop and admit you use it as an RMT business."

This is the first topic where I defended SOTA in any way, on any forum. Notice that 

A. It's less than two months old.
    B. It's a Blorpykin topic (Imagine that.) made in the pub.
    C. I have no issue criticizing the game as well as defending it.
    D. I say exactly why I like the game (RMT and Community) from the start.

Man. What a massive spree of defending this game I have gone on. Obviously steadfastly defending my massive RMT operations on a game I play like a for a few days each month to the exclusion of truth. Not that YOU would know anything about the exclusion of truth.

What a massive spree of defending this game I've been on. 

You say I'm a great example of how toxic the SOTA forums are? Yes I probably am. You freaked out on me like a little child who's toy was stolen and I didn't give you what you wanted just because you were throwing a tantrum. Like I said. Karma. You get what you give.

Post edited by Eldurian on
    postlarval