Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archos Herald - A Letter with Patches, Community & a Contest - Dark and Light - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageArchos Herald - A Letter with Patches, Community & a Contest - Dark and Light - MMORPG.com

Dark and Light News - The Dark & Light team has a cool update called "The Archos Herald" that will be a regular series to update the community about what is happening in the development pipeline as well as what is happening in the community, what contests may be available and much more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This is a fantastic game, Although its considered a survival game first it has MUCH MORE of a MMO feel to me. Feels very fresh and raw. A true sandbox and very immersive world. Game is a blast to play now despite its buggy state, cant wait to see how thise one develops over time. This game is far superior to Citadel, Ignore the negative review bombing on steam.
    BruceYeeConstantineMeruskitaradMikehaQuicksandwinghaven1jgDuffayValentinaRexKushmanOctagon7711and 3 others.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    lol, glad you like it but its just ark with a new skin, with a ton of bugs, should have waited to release even if the want to call it early access.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Well, by that logic, I suppose that every game using this engine and has survival features would be "Ark with a new skin", in the same way that every game with a hotbar and quest is just a wow clone.  like Conan Exiles is just ark with breast I guess.

However, I dont like Ark, but I do like Conan Exiles and I am loving DnL. So if this is the "Reskin" needed to make Ark good, then I am glad I found it!
    SBFordSlyLoKJeffSpicoliSovrathBlazefireAlomarConstantineMerusBillMurphyNoxias

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    you always get someone calling a game a clone of another game, find me 1 game that is made these days that does not take something that works for other games into their own games, a completely original game. i know of none
    JeffSpicoliBlazefire
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The real question is if it's a clone of the original Dark and Light. That would definitely be a reason not to play.
    itchmonBillMurphy
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

thunderC said:

This is a fantastic game, Although its considered a survival game first it has MUCH MORE of a MMO feel to me. Feels very fresh and raw. A true sandbox and very immersive world. Game is a blast to play now despite its buggy state, cant wait to see how thise one develops over time. This game is far superior to Citadel, Ignore the negative review bombing on steam.

details...HOW is it much more,what kind of depth do the systems have?

I don't believe simple endorsements unless i actually hear or see something that is noteworthy.
    WHY should we ignore negative review bombing,DETAILs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Quicksand said:

Well, by that logic, I suppose that every game using this engine and has survival features would be "Ark with a new skin", in the same way that every game with a hotbar and quest is just a wow clone.  like Conan Exiles is just ark with breast I guess.

However, I dont like Ark, but I do like Conan Exiles and I am loving DnL. So if this is the "Reskin" needed to make Ark good, then I am glad I found it!

It's being made by Snail Games. Snail Games owns Studio Wildcard and ARK: Survival Evolved. Dark and Light is being built on top of ARK.

This is just a company taking a property they own, and building something else on top of it. So yes DnL is a copy of Ark... with magic.
    And still buggy as hell.
    JeffSpicoli
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Shouldn't be bothered reviewing a game with below 60% rating on Steam (i.e. garbage).
    RexKushmanAlomarazurrei

Thank you for your time!

• advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    edited July 2017

Quicksand said:

No it is really an Ark clone to some degree since the ui for example amongst other things is looking like in Ark which is no wonder since snail games and studio wildcard have connections with each other (https://mmos.com/news/snail-games-usa-acquired-studio-wildcard-developer-of-ark-in-december-2015) . Even the server installation of an Ark server and a D&L server is similar.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Quicksand said:

No it is really an Ark clone to some degree since the ui for example amongst other things is looking like in Ark which is no wonder since snail games and studio wildcard have connections with each other (https://mmos.com/news/snail-games-usa-acquired-studio-wildcard-developer-of-ark-in-december-2015) . Even the server installation of an Ark server and a D&L server is similar.
    Let it go my friend. The knights in white just want this game to be successful even though they know nothing about Snail games. Once Snail fails them (like they always do) people will move on to Citadel which honestly has more promise. I'd love for DnL to succeed, but honestly Snail isn't the one that will make it happen. History always repeats itself with them.
    JeffSpicoli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You can tell they built on what they learned from Ark. All said I'm having a good time with it.
    SlyLoKJeffSpicoliAlomar

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited July 2017
    Iam loving DnL too, its so much better and more immersive than Citadel.
    DnL has so much potential, its a great sandbox with endless possibilities.
    Steam numbers are great too, 5K on release and now with sometimes over 12k concurrrent players.
    MikehaJeffSpicoliAlomar
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Loving DnL as well! Nice change of pace from Ark. The world is very immersive IMO and fun. I agree it feels more like an MMO than a survival game.
    MikehaJeffSpicoliAlomar
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Wizardry said:

thunderC said:

details...HOW is it much more,what kind of depth do the systems have?

I don't believe simple endorsements unless i actually hear or see something that is noteworthy.
    WHY should we ignore negative review bombing,DETAILs.
    Well, do some thinking ...

What are they actually saying in their "negative review bombing"?

bugs: well it's early access and it's supposed to have bugs. "but this has MORE BUGS and therefore shouldn't have been released".

Really? What is the benchmark for "bugs" in an early access game? Especially since they warn players that the game is unfinished?

"It's an Ark clone" - well, there are a lot of games that incorporate features from other games in their respective genres. Is Quake a Doom clone? Or Duke Nukem? What are the differences that make it appealing.

And "I loved Ark" well good then here is a game in a different setting that incorporates similar elements to Ark.

"I haven't tried Ark but don't like the whole science/dinosaur thing" then you might like this as it is high fantasy/dinosaur

"I hated Ark" then given that people find similarities it might not be for you, unless of course it was the science/dinosaur thing you hated"

"how deep are the systems" - It's an unfinished game we don't know how deep the systems will be. If you need to know this "now" then it's a "don't try" as the game isn't finished.

And since you've been watching streams you must have seen things you liked or disliked. I'm pretty sure you can make up your own mind from those things and don't "need to be convinced".
    Octagon7711JayFiveAliveJeffSpicoliBlazefire
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BlazefireBlazefire Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I think it's funny how so many people are saying the exact same thing about this game... if you scroll through the reviews on Steam literally like 90+% of them mention "Ark". I understand that it's made with the same engine, and shares a lot of the same UI/survival elements... but other than that I don't see how people are saying it's a "complete Ark Clone"... these are two totally different kinds of games with one being based around an island with dinosaurs... and another being a high fantasy world with magic. Additionally, they have two totally different progression systems.

I'm all for constructive criticism... but I'd like to see something other than "oh this is a complete steaming pile of shit that is basically a clone of another game". The vast majority of games, and anything creative for that matter, play off of previous ideas. It's EXTREMELY difficult to have a 100% unique idea that actually works.

I for one have had a pretty good time playing it despite the massive performance issues.
    So now we know why games suck these days, gamers willing to play buggy early access clones of the same game, ARK and DnL total copy and paste with magic.... but people got money to burn at least its on games and not on drugs.
    borghive49
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

So now we know why games suck these days, gamers willing to play buggy early access clones of the same game, ARK and DnL total copy and paste with magic.... but people got money to burn at least its on games and not on drugs.

i burn my $$ on games and drugs
    kikoodutroa8Blazefire
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    One of these days I may actually get to play one of these survival games. They all look very appealing to me. But I'll wait until they're finished before I jump in.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited July 2017

thunderC said:

I agree, just a tip I didnt know! Farming those reapers (forgot their real name) and skeletons gives rare/epic loot! Got rare druidic legs from it for example it gives more stats than normal druidic legs.

And taming this big boy was really fun as a group!

Butttttt we cant get it down on the ground no idea if its a bug and we need to farm alot of mats for the saddle.

Edit: just looked at citadel reviews they are going down and dnl reviews are going up.

Blazefire

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Have been watching some streams of the game and am interested. Will probably wati until release before deciding. Taming creatures seems to take a prohibitively long time. How viable are polymorphs? Is a druid wild shape playstyle possible?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Snail Games being the publisher is good to me. There are a lot of mmo publishers. Many of them are crap. Snail isn't the best, but they haven't crossed the line. You can typically enjoy their games without being a whale. On this game they are even less so since no cash shop. The problems with Snail Games is that they don't push future development on their mmo products since they will reach a point of being unprofitable. Better to release a sequel. Their UIs also tend to suck.
    BruceYeeBlazefireMikeha
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited July 2017
    Woops didnt saw you :open_mouth:

Blazefire

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I started playing this game a few days ago and I'm loving every minute. I am playing on the Highlandrage.com server with very active Admins which listens to their players. I liked ARK but I think I like Dark and Light far more now that I've had a chance to play it. I think if you liked ARK then you would do your self a disfavor if you did not at least give this game a go.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

3dom said:

Shouldn't be bothered reviewing a game with below 60% rating on Steam (i.e. garbage).

Steam rating of 0% is the same rating as 100% - Steam reviews/scores are garbage in and of themselves.
    Blazefire