Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think of one unique MMO feature, not seen in any other MMO

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    It would be real cool to have a built-in VoIP, where you could voice chat with someone within a certain radius around your character. However, the voice features would be geared more towards role-playing, e.g., if you're playing as an Ogre, your pitch would automatically adjust/shift to sound deeper and more "monstery".

SOE did something similar with their SOEmote.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One thing I did like about HoT is the when the dragon kills everyone in the zone.  That was different and interesting.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dauzqul said:
    It would be real cool to have a built-in VoIP, where you could voice chat with someone within a certain radius around your character. However, the voice features would be geared more towards role-playing, e.g., if you're playing as an Ogre, your pitch would automatically adjust/shift to sound deeper and more "monstery".

SOE did something similar with their SOEmote.
     CCP was working on a system to even changge you to female and change dialects for WoDO but it got cancelled.

I think it is something we will see sooner or later.
    DauzqulHatefull
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    I would go for Slavery system. Like: you PvP and can make defeated (alive) player your slave. Do with that player whatever you like. Starve to death, feed to death, torture, sell or simply kill. Slave may try to run away. Slave markets would appear or maybe even slave revolts.
    [some adult themes omitted intentionally]
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Wow!  Good thread and nice ideas.  

I like the idea of guild created zones, no economy, physics based combat, and unique bosses.  

My two cents: One, to have magic items grow with you and expand their abilities, as opposed to just finding better items.  Two, (and this is a biggie) create a game that is cut-scene based; combat would be things slowing down and giving you a second or two to decide which spell to cast, sword to swing, or even jumping and grabbing onto a piece of the environment.  Make it more like their CG animated trailers, as opposed to our normal isometric 3d view.  Make the social interactions cut-scenes as well.  Eliminate the running here, running there, etc... You decide to go hang out at the bar all night and drink and talk there, you missed your chance to chat with the priest.  Both could give you an advantage in the upcoming adventure, but your option is concrete.    

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Loke666 said:
    Vrika said:
    If players rule the world, eventually creation and destruction needs to be in balance: For every NPC, monster, and boss killed a new one needs to be born, spawned, or created. For every tree felled and ore mined there needs to be a new one or they'll run out.

But if you allow players to destroy the world there's no need for such balance: The players would get to be a force that burns towns and uses their NPC population as slaves until they drop dead, exhausts rare natural resources, hunts legendary monsters into extinction, eventually takes down even the largest NPC cities, strongholds, and kingdoms with their armies.

Then once high-end resources are getting scarce they'd get to trigger the world-destruction event and get another pristine world to pillage.
    Uhm, is it just me or that does sound super evil? I mean really truly insane?

You murder, pillage and destroy the entire game until it is all gone? I  am not against playing a villain but that gameplay would shock even Atilla the Hun.

No, I don't that gameplay would get many players, sorry. That makes Darkfall, Mortal online and pre Trammel UO care.bear games in comparision.

Meh, never seen or read about Westworld hu?

Its not about being evil.. Its about doing what you never can in RL modern times but someting we done plentiful in history.  Human Behavior. 

UO had a dynamic creature spawn system.. except..they dint expected for players to kill every creature faster then the dynamic system could " regrow"  them.  its why things have bin static spawns for the past decades. 

MMO's are realy intresting when it comes to the study of human behavior when there are no laws to hold them back.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I would go for Slavery system. Like: you PvP and can make defeated (alive) player your slave. Do with that player whatever you like. Starve to death, feed to death, torture, sell or simply kill. Slave may try to run away. Slave markets would appear or maybe even slave revolts.
    [some adult themes omitted intentionally]
    Player enslavement doesn't really work outside hardcore roleplaying servers where people are fully committed to acting like their character would. Captured players are almost never going to go along with it, and most game mechanics that would force them to obey your commands would be overly harsh and drive players away.

However, NPC slavery hasn't even been done very well in many titles so that's probably a good place to start.
    Eladi said:

Meh, never seen or read about Westworld hu?

Its not about being evil.. Its about doing what you never can in RL modern times but someting we done plentiful in history.  Human Behavior. 

UO had a dynamic creature spawn system.. except..they dint expected for players to kill every creature faster then the dynamic system could " regrow"  them.  its why things have bin static spawns for the past decades. 

MMO's are realy intresting when it comes to the study of human behavior when there are no laws to hold them back.
    I seen Westworld, yes. But I guess I saw it from a different view then you since I got the impression that the behavior of most visitors there were bad.

I don't have a problem with villain characters killing good guys, but genocide is too much for my taste and I just don't think you could market a game llike that. 

And it isn't really the laws keeping people back. Even batshit insane historical leaders like Caligula had a vision, a weird murderous one, but still a vision. Destroying the world for no purpuse is not something I think any historical leader ever had.

Take Pol Pot, who in my opinion probably was the leader with the worst aligment the last 100 years. He killed a third of his own population but his vision was to build a utopia. That is a villain we can understand.

Besides a few mythological persons that want to return the world to the chaos it came from (like the Giants of Muspelheim in Norse mythology) you have to go to a few totally insane super comic villains like Dark phoenix to fin anyone with the "destroy the world plan".

Exploring the dark side of people is fine, GTA does that for instance and it works but the players need a good vision to fullfill, not just rape, murder and pillage the entire world until nothing is left and they starve to death.

With a game based on that you will wish you hade Darkfalls and Mortal onlines massive number of players.
    Kyleran
    Eldurian said:
    Player enslavement doesn't really work outside hardcore roleplaying servers where people are fully committed to acting like their character would. Captured players are almost never going to go along with it, and most game mechanics that would force them to obey your commands would be overly harsh and drive players away.

However, NPC slavery hasn't even been done very well in many titles so that's probably a good place to start.
    NPC slavery is one thing, slavery have been (and is still in some places) a real thing. If you have a game where evil players enslave innocent people and captured enemies and the good guys tries to stop them and free the slaves you certainly get a rather interesting part of a game.

Or for that matter, most historical societies used slaves so in a historical and for that matter fantasy games slaving would be commonplace. And not just evil people and nations, many of the founding fathers had slaves as well as the "inventors" of democracy.

It is however a sensitive subject still in many places including the US so I have a feeling that it would work better in nations that either abandond slavery a long time within their borders (like Europe) or places that had few or none slaves. While the concept would be interesting the question is if the public outcry would be worth it.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2017
    delete

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Aura-based tanking with collision detection

I want to see a reformed way of calculating threat and handling tanking, trying to bring it more towards real life. 

How it would work is that every player has an aura around themselves. When an enemy moves into their aura, their movement speed is slowed. This is to simulate the fact that you are within an engagement zone and might get attacked - you couldn't just run past a swordsman in real life, he'd attack you on the way past. 

There would be lots of modifiers to this aura - using a 2 handed weapon would increase the size of the aura for example. If the player is already engaged with an enemy, the slow effect would be diminished for other enemies. Players and enemies alike would have abilities to counter the aura - rushes, charges, dodging etc. 

This would then be combined with collision detection to prevent enemies / players from just running through people to get to the squishies. Again, the collision detection would be modifiable, for example, a troll with a lot of weight should be able to run through most humans. 

The goal of such a system is to reach a point where group based combat is much more dependant on positioning and movement. To protect the squishies, melee players will actually have to form a physical wall in front of bosses in order to keep the boss back. If an add runs off, a tank can't just taunt it back, someone will have to physically chase them down in order to get hold of them again. 

A further extension to this system would be to allow actual group formations. For example, melee warriors could actually form a shield wall, which would keep everyone in line, severely limiting their movement capabilities, but dramatically increases their defences and reducing the possibility of being knocked back. You would then get things like formation abilities - if you were in a shield wall, you might get something like "turtle". If everyone in the shield wall activates the turtle ability, you all huddle up and shield yourselves, making you immune to ranged attacks. Or a skill like "open and drag", which would open up a hole in the shield wall and attempt to drag an enemy through that hole, then close the hole behind them. This sort of skill would isolate that enemy, allowing for an easier kill. (I've been watching a lot of Vikings....)
    Loke666HatefullMendelRufusUOCryomatrix
    I like the general Aura concept. It's very much like the idea of "Attacks of Opportunity" in Dungeons and Dragons. I could see a lot of different mechanics based on auras being interesting.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Amathe said:
    A game without currency. You get loot from kills, and you can make things. But no buying and selling. 

Self-found leagues in Path of Exile.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    An MMORPG with a pet class (or two) where the pets are geared up in addition to the character, and that gear is displayed on the pet in the same manner that gear is displayed on the character.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

I want to see a reformed way of calculating threat and handling tanking, trying to bring it more towards real life. 

How it would work is that every player has an aura around themselves. When an enemy moves into their aura, their movement speed is slowed. This is to simulate the fact that you are within an engagement zone and might get attacked - you couldn't just run past a swordsman in real life, he'd attack you on the way past. 

There would be lots of modifiers to this aura - using a 2 handed weapon would increase the size of the aura for example. If the player is already engaged with an enemy, the slow effect would be diminished for other enemies. Players and enemies alike would have abilities to counter the aura - rushes, charges, dodging etc. 

This would then be combined with collision detection to prevent enemies / players from just running through people to get to the squishies. Again, the collision detection would be modifiable, for example, a troll with a lot of weight should be able to run through most humans. 

The goal of such a system is to reach a point where group based combat is much more dependant on positioning and movement. To protect the squishies, melee players will actually have to form a physical wall in front of bosses in order to keep the boss back. If an add runs off, a tank can't just taunt it back, someone will have to physically chase them down in order to get hold of them again. 

A further extension to this system would be to allow actual group formations. For example, melee warriors could actually form a shield wall, which would keep everyone in line, severely limiting their movement capabilities, but dramatically increases their defences and reducing the possibility of being knocked back. You would then get things like formation abilities - if you were in a shield wall, you might get something like "turtle". If everyone in the shield wall activates the turtle ability, you all huddle up and shield yourselves, making you immune to ranged attacks. Or a skill like "open and drag", which would open up a hole in the shield wall and attempt to drag an enemy through that hole, then close the hole behind them. This sort of skill would isolate that enemy, allowing for an easier kill. (I've been watching a lot of Vikings....)
    Wow, that is an amazing idea. :dizzy:
    Add in collision detection for hits and stop the weapon when you hit something, that would make for an amazing PvP experience and could actually make massive combat something else then a huge zerg.

Just leave behind the character free so you can flank people (maybe lessen the defense from behind as well?).

I think you win the thread, at least in my opinion.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    An MMORPG with a pet class (or two) where the pets are geared up in addition to the character, and that gear is displayed on the pet in the same manner that gear is displayed on the character.
    reminds me a bit of RimWorld

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Loke666 said:

Add in collision detection for hits and stop the weapon when you hit something, that would make for an amazing PvP experience and could actually make massive combat something else then a huge zerg.

Just leave behind the character free so you can flank people (maybe lessen the defense from behind as well?).

Thanks very much for the praise, we've actually discussed this a few times on these forums before and you've helped me refine the idea in the past. 

and yeh, there are so many modifiers you can apply to keep things realistic. I'd do things like split the aura into quadrants (front, sides, back) and have different slow effects for each - front would obviously be highest, so perhaps movement speed would drop to 25% in front quadrant, 50% on the sides, but no effect from aura if you're stood behind. 

Could also involve direction of movement - if walking towards an aura, you're slowed a lot, but if strafing the effect is lessened, or if moving out of the aura it is lessened further (trying to simulate disengaging). This opens up tactics like trying to draw attackers out of formation in order to follow you and keep you slowed. 

However, weapons could affect it, so someone dual-wielding swords might have a 60% slow effect for all of their aura, reflecting their aggressive fighting style. Or someone using sword and shield might have 90% slow in front, but it only worked between 10ft and 4ft from the character, once inside the range the slow effect disappears?

Then you have things like what to do when facing multiple enemies. Maybe if you stand in 3+ peoples auras, you physically cant move forwards, you have to move backwards (in effect, being crowded out of a space). This would allow for things like forcing enemies into corners in order to control them. 

I did think up this system primarily to help improve PvE. I find PvE too easy for the most part and figured this sort of system could introduce a bit more chaos into group combat, as well as simply opening up many more possibilities for tactics. I like some of the complicated tactics that are achieved with bosses, using scripted events and stuff, but it can often feel like you're playing the UI / meta-game rather than being involved and connected with the actual fight. This emphasis on positional combat should help keep you in the moment. 

I do also like the implications for PvP, especially adding in group formations. It starts to add the possibility of highly organised, small groups of players being able to take on vastly greater numbers, e.g. bottling up a narrow corridor or stairs, or using a square formation to hold off an unorganised zerg etc. This becomes especially true if projectiles are also subject to collision detection, or even friendly fire! (Am now dreaming of a world where pvp didn't involve so many damn archers and mages!)
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

That's a great idea. I'd definitely play a tank class in an MMO. The only tank class I played was in Neverwinter and that game was a bit lame.  The problem with that model is that bosses with targeted spells would just throw it at the squishy ones. I mean if I was a dragon, i'd just aim for the squishy ones. Then again, I guess you'd have to have a mechanic that a tank could protect the squishy ones. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SEANMCAD said:
    oh my god these answers. Ok looks like I have to help

-The ability for players to create quests for other players

STO and NW have that.  I keep hoping ESO does it one day.

City of Heroes had the Mission Architect in Issue 14 back in 2009 if IRRC.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2017
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Loke666 said:
    How about a dungeon that your guild design and add traps, hire in/design monsters and build for other players to run? You could have a point system as well as allowing the guild to craft and add their own touch to it. You could even let the members possess the mobs for a PvP like experience.

Mighty quest for epic loot and Trove both have variants of this.
    Mighty Quest fro Epic Loot ...shut down 1 year ago

It did - the OP simply said "never seen before" - his criteria never stated the game had to be active.
       you said ... quote "Mighty quest for epic loot and Trove both have variants of this. "

Now that implies that MQFEL exist and has this variant , It doesnt , its gone , i was just leting folks know , in case it was something they were interested in , no sense in looking to MQFEL..

And also several other games have this mechainic in place
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Loke666 said:

Thanks very much for the praise, we've actually discussed this a few times on these forums before and you've helped me refine the idea in the past. 

and yeh, there are so many modifiers you can apply to keep things realistic. I'd do things like split the aura into quadrants (front, sides, back) and have different slow effects for each - front would obviously be highest, so perhaps movement speed would drop to 25% in front quadrant, 50% on the sides, but no effect from aura if you're stood behind. 

Could also involve direction of movement - if walking towards an aura, you're slowed a lot, but if strafing the effect is lessened, or if moving out of the aura it is lessened further (trying to simulate disengaging). This opens up tactics like trying to draw attackers out of formation in order to follow you and keep you slowed. 

However, weapons could affect it, so someone dual-wielding swords might have a 60% slow effect for all of their aura, reflecting their aggressive fighting style. Or someone using sword and shield might have 90% slow in front, but it only worked between 10ft and 4ft from the character, once inside the range the slow effect disappears?

Then you have things like what to do when facing multiple enemies. Maybe if you stand in 3+ peoples auras, you physically cant move forwards, you have to move backwards (in effect, being crowded out of a space). This would allow for things like forcing enemies into corners in order to control them. 

I did think up this system primarily to help improve PvE. I find PvE too easy for the most part and figured this sort of system could introduce a bit more chaos into group combat, as well as simply opening up many more possibilities for tactics. I like some of the complicated tactics that are achieved with bosses, using scripted events and stuff, but it can often feel like you're playing the UI / meta-game rather than being involved and connected with the actual fight. This emphasis on positional combat should help keep you in the moment. 

I do also like the implications for PvP, especially adding in group formations. It starts to add the possibility of highly organised, small groups of players being able to take on vastly greater numbers, e.g. bottling up a narrow corridor or stairs, or using a square formation to hold off an unorganised zerg etc. This becomes especially true if projectiles are also subject to collision detection, or even friendly fire! (Am now dreaming of a world where pvp didn't involve so many damn archers and mages!)
    I like these ideas.  I think it would be relatively easy to adapt these concepts into create a different feel for melee.  Add in grapple (holds and throws) and this could make a 'shield wall' type combat feasible for small groups.  This directly supports combat other than the 6-on-1 style we've seen since 1999.  A system like this would give the basic mechanics for formation fighting -- spacing, blocking and protection.  I could easily see this type of idea being the basis for any number of historic formation-oriented games -- ancients rather than fantasy.

I do think that the standard group size might need to increase from 6 to 10.  I do expect that this kind of combat system would shift the distribution of combat roles across the player base from the EQ/Wow models of 1/6 tanks, 1/6 healers, 1/6 support and 3/6 DPS.  Myself, I'd love to see a group consisting of 5/10 melees (sword&shield), 2/10 skirmishers (bows&sword), and 3/10 support (polearms) in a magic-rare MMORPG.  Probably won't happen in my lifetime, though.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

No specific class as anyone can have a pet, but pets are gearable in ArcheAge. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       As much as i would like to see something like this work , we have all seen Shield Walls/Blocking /Collision Detection exploited to Nauseum , to the point it trivializes content , How can we mitigate that , so that it isnt abused ..

The gaming community always seems to find a way to exploit a system like that
    Cryomatrix
    edited August 2017
    @Crymatrix

I think the Aura idea is interesting too, but if you want another good example of a functional PvP tank that's fun to play, try playing the Support role in SMITE as a guardian. I almost never play tanks in any game but I love tanking in SMITE.

Guardians in that game tend to have a lot of crowd control abilities, very often AoE crowd control. You stack defence and cooldown reduction and then fling yourself straight into the midst of the enemies to blast them with AoE CC, setting up kills for your allies or buying them time to get away.

It's a really fun take on a no-aggro tank.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    How about a mmorpg that's challenging starting at level 1.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville