Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steampunk/Clockwork

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Have they said whether there will be any steampunk/clockwork type areas?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    I hope not, I hope they stick to high fantasy... Never liked seeing mechanized robots and such... 
    SovrathKyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 8,028
    I remember the gnomes in Everquest had a smaterring of steampunk.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Is this another EQ nostalgia thread?  Not that I mind, I enjoy reminiscing about EQ.  Not sure how I feel about the Steamfont Mountains zone.  Never spent much time there.  I'm with @Gyva02.  I don't think robots belong in a fantasy world.  On the other hand, gnomes were notorious tinkerers, so if anyone could pull it off, it would be them.

Then again, I never played a gnome.  Too short for my taste.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    I don't see why not - honestly if the gameplay is good - they could have a Kim Kardashian themed zone and I wouldn't even blink an eye.

Yup.  RPG is a game of the imagination.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    They had clockwork content/dungeons in both EQ1 and Vanguard, both games built by Brad and the spiritual inspiration for Pantheon... so I'm sure you'll see it show up to some extent. 

Also, Gnomes are a race.
    --------------------------------------------
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Zindaihas said:

Gnomes are the master race.
    Kyleran

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    How about something different for content?  Steampunk / clockwork is pretty much restrictive, and we've see it before.   (And they are likely to put in annoying ticking sounds again).  Put that effort into a more vibrant city.  I would like to see places where princes won't go, and, equally, places where hobos won't go.  Or maybe a complete underwater city.

And if we want something a bit more fantastical, how about a red-light district?  They're in many, many fantasy stories, but I don't think I've ever seen one in a game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Mendel said:
      Or maybe a complete underwater city.

Yes. Please, yes. High fantasy barely means anything if you won't reach extreme places. Put a city inside a living volcano, deep in the ocean, in the middle of a frozen hell.
    Or in a swamp, on fire, on the moon. Where do I sign up?

And out of ALL places I absolutely LOATHE underwater zones. Horrible, just horrible.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Zindaihas said:

Gnomes are the master race.

If I'm not mistaken, gnomes could play the warrior class in EQ, couldn't they?  I think I recall a couple times seeing a gnome dressed in full plate armor tanking for a group.  Hehe, that was a sight.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Yes Gnome warriors are possible, starting stats are garbage for a warrior but possible, lol... 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,191
    Here there be dragons! Clockwork dragons
    Reaper Gearwyrm Clockwork Dragon Miniature by Dreamkeepers

Amathe
    Garrus Signature