Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get this game?

MXR90MXR90 Member Posts: 5

Ok people, I'm either gonna get this, or go back to EQ2. I want a game with lots of people, lots of social interaction, dark elves, fighting, open freedom to discover places and just flat out fun. I thought the first 20 levels in EQ2 were a bnitch... are they as bad in this? Are there tons of people that play this? (like a highkly populated server; are there many of those? Someone tell me wether this is WORTH trying or not? I don't want to go blowe my money, please soemone help me out here.

Comments

• normingtonknormingtonk Member Posts: 21

I admit i have an interest in this game but want to really know the same. whether to buy or not.

I did look at the website and read that the first 20 levs should be easier due to some player buffs and things for your first char to level 5 ?

As soon as u hit 30 u move to clans and such which aparently is easier

I think the main thing is for me that the servers arent deserted, theres nothing worse than going to a server and not seeing a person from 1 day to another !

With that in mind what would the best server be to go to (also based in UK are there any Euro servers ?)

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

I've played both, they're really very different.

Lineage II is a much more focused, hardcore-type game than EQ2. Lineage II is basically a combat/fighting game. It has open PvP (with consequences, but it's always allowed). It has relatively few 'quests' ... most of the time you are out hunting where you want and what you want. It has relatively streamlined skills compared with EQ2. And it doesn't have crafting like EQ2 does (dwarves are the only race that can craft, and it's not meant to be the focus of the game really). The focus of Lineage II is levelling up so that you can participate in PvP more effectively and access the higher level game content. The newbie towns in Lineage II are not that busy at the moment because many of the players are now 40+ and are in other parts of the map, but there are still quite a few people around in the newbie zones. Not as many as EQ2 however (remember there are not nearly as many subscribers in the US to Lineage II as there are to EQ2). Soloing is more fruitful in Lineage II generally than in EQ2 although EQ2 has changed that a lot in the past several months.

In terms of levelling, Lineage II has made it easier to get to around 25 or so because until then you can get free newbie buffs in the newbie towns, and you also get a large amount of free soulshot/spiritshot from some very early quests (these are capsules that you can use to increase your damage, and hence take down foes more easily). It takes time, however, to level. It's a time-consuming game, it requires quite a lot of time investment to level and each level is slower and slower, so it's not really a casual-friendly game.

It really comes down to what you like in a game. EQ2 is more varied, much, much more quest oriented, significantly more group-oriented, and has no PvP (although PvP is coming soon). Lineage II is more free, more hardcore, more PvP and more of an outright grind. Both games are pleasing to the eye. EQ2 technically has better graphical engine, and has photorealistic graphics, but the artwork of Lineage II is, in my opinion, superior to EQ2, so that makes the graphics more of a toss-up (if EQ2 had more creative artwork, it would win the graphics comparison hands down, but it doesn't). In terms of social interaction, you'll find it in both, but I found EQ2 more social at lower levels, slightly. In both games a lot depends on your guild/clan, but the difference is that you have to be a higher level player to interest a good clan in Lineage II, and that takes a longer time commitment to get there -- the newbie areas have people in them, but I don't think anyone would call them 'crowded'. Then again, I don't think I would call Antonica or the Commonlands 'crowded' either, but there it is. There are far fewer Americans playing Lineage II than there are playing EQ2, so if you want the game with the most people, it would be EQ2 and not Lineage II ... but of course the game with the MOST people is WoW.

There is a Euro server called 'Teon'.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

Lineage 2 is a unique game.  It has a cool look to it and there are some fun things to do.  That being said, there are also alot of drawbacks to the game.  I'll lay out a few things that I have experienced:

1.  MONEY IS EVERYTHING.  It's difficult to get and things are extremely expensive.  It's near impossible to get good equipment without a ton of money.  (Which is why there are many who e-bay in the game, though they are usually fast to ban those who do.)

2.  The level grind is the worst of any game out there.  Many players resort to using bot programs in an effort to get exp.  It can take hundreds of hours to gain a single level in the last 25% of the scale.

3.  Open PvP can be a problem.  There is still a good deal of "newbie ganking" that goes on.  This same aspect also promotes a rather immature player base.  The only "organized" PvP is castle sieges, which are pointless unless you are a very high level.

Those are the problems I see with the game, but if you're willing to muddle through them, it's a beautiful game with fun to be found.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

oops, double post.

• MoNuMeNMoNuMeN Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by MXR90
    Ok people, I'm either gonna get this, or go back to EQ2. I want a game with lots of people, lots of social interaction, dark elves, fighting, open freedom to discover places and just flat out fun. I thought the first 20 levels in EQ2 were a bnitch... are they as bad in this? Are there tons of people that play this? (like a highkly populated server; are there many of those? Someone tell me wether this is WORTH trying or not? I don't want to go blowe my money, please soemone help me out here.

Come to your sences! Well, unless u don't have a real life, a family or such to take care of this is ur game. If u do, say bye bye to friends and rest of ur social life coz this games pushes u to the edge when it comes to gaining lvls! I'd say it would take about 4 months + to get lvl 40 (in wich case this is where the game really begins to be funny). Now there's a lot of uber geeks out there who says they get 40 in 2 weeks. BUSTED FU*KFACE! get laid and and life plz. Yeah, sure u could go for the game if u wanna spend ez 9hours a day to stay with ur friends but... I guess there's good sides to this game too but seriously, I lost a 53 Treasure Hunter to hax0r and support customers respons was "it your computer's fault, not ours!" So basically, if u wanna get fooked over then g0 brother!

aaiight, I mite just be pissed for my account's sake but yeah wotever, it's a chin*s' game anyways, go for eve online or an american created game!

paz

• NordicBearNordicBear Member Posts: 19

I know how you feel. I loved Lineage (I even loved the level grind), but the unflattering reviews, absence of free trials and my current lack of paid income make me unwilling to take a risk and buy LII, I'll probably stick with something safer... ::::21::

--------

Really NordicBearskin, full name wouldn't fit...

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by MoNuMeN
    Come to your sences! Well, unless u don't have a real life, a family or such to take care of this is ur game. If u do, say bye bye to friends and rest of ur social life coz this games pushes u to the edge when it comes to gaining lvls! I'd say it would take about 4 months + to get lvl 40 (in wich case this is where the game really begins to be funny). Now there's a lot of uber geeks out there who says they get 40 in 2 weeks. BUSTED FU*KFACE! get laid and and life plz. Yeah, sure u could go for the game if u wanna spend ez 9hours a day to stay with ur friends but... I guess there's good sides to this game too but seriously, I lost a 53 Treasure Hunter to hax0r and support customers respons was "it your computer's fault, not ours!" So basically, if u wanna get fooked over then g0 brother!aaiight, I mite just be pissed for my account's sake but yeah wotever, it's a chin*s' game anyways, go for eve online or an american created game!paz

I play both Eve-Online and L2, in eve online it is also very time consuming. Ever tried to get isk together to get into a BS? Oh and I bet you love it when they blow you out of your BS every day right? Eve-Online doesn't have the level grind like L2 but it defenitely has the moneygrind. Also I only play 2 weeks and I have a char in L2 up to level 17 (second time). They made it easier to level them up to level 25.

Both games need their attention and are time consuming. And to be honest I'm more attached to characters in L2 then my char in eve. Why? Because I get out what I put in, in eve I sometimes just log in to switch a skill training (most takes weeks to complete by now) and from time to time do a mission or attend a boring mining op with the corp for hours.

So for the OP, if you like grinding, open PvP (wich is my interest) and character developement I would say got for it.

And for the one I have quoted: just try to use less instultings next time, you will get more credits.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

Yer, both games have their sides. Note that your skill training needs learning skills!
    I played Lineage2 at a friends' the other day and in my opinion it's gone from bad to worse.
    The low lvl mobs have gone missing. There's just no one left! OK, they've made it easier in 1 way, you get soulshots free from super easy quests. But then again, doing quests is no more fun than mining in eve online. Seems as the only thing you can do to get nuff xp in lineage2 nowadays is by doing quests. You don't have to mine in Eve online to get money... I do piracy and stuff to get what I need, but that's just me. Anyhow, the game has gone from 6 -> 2 due to the lack of lowbie mobs. And not to mention, where is everybody? I mean I remember I ran into Gludio and it's filled (Bartz server), my compy almost when on fire as I came into center. Seems like they've all gone 60+ wich ofc is boring for new players who find themselves in no mans' land!

I don't have much troubles finding low level mobs (green to white). Also I see some people running around and shouting in the starter villages. L2 is getting a lot of new players now, I couldn't get any better time to start it.

I returned to Eve after 4-5 months break and what did I get? Yeah a damned podkill, blasted pirates didn't even gave a chance to communicate and offer them some isk to get out alive. So if you put piracy = ganking I agree on you. Also mining is the top income profession, you may say what you want, but from piracy alone you won't get a Battleship. Also not every starter has the skills to be a pirate. You won't take down a BS in a level 2 frig or even in a level 3 frig on your own.

And you mention the learning skills. I have the basics on level 5, just getting the money together to get the advanced ones. I feel more attached to my characters in Lineage 2 because I see them grow when I put an effort in them. In eve it is just watching a progressbar blinking and the time ticking away, and guess what you don't even need to be logged in to see that.

Both games have a nice PvP system, if not a great PvP system. I enjoy both when I'm playing, what other sense does it have to play a game when you don't have fun? Oh yeah I'm playing on Teon.

Yer, I see what your getting at! Indeed, you can't kill a BS with a frigate alone. But can a lvl 5 char kill a lvl 60 char on lineage2? As for the podkilling ::::05:: that blows... you shoulden't go .5 or lower unless you know you could defend yourself. Basically, pirates that hang out in .1 -> .4 don't want ISK, they want death and destruction so they - in most cases - don't ask for money! They do if they find you mining in a BS in 0.0 systems and such... As for the progress in wich your char on Eve online progress - yer, it takes time but so do all games! ::::02:: You should leave your carebear corp and go for something with more action - I've never mined but I surely woulden't wanna spend 15 bucks a month for a mining simulation when u have the game with awesome pvp in it, but that's just me! As for Lineage2 when it comes to pvp, it to is a great pvp game but what makes me mad is that you have to press / hold ctrl each time you are about to aggro, exept for the arenas and such.
    Anyhow, I haven't played on Teon so I reckon there's more lowbies on that server then, coz clearly, it's completely dead in the rest of the others... I've seen a few lads running around tho. Besides Teon is "younger" than the rest of the servers so you coulden't expect anything other than that I guess.

True, Teon is the youngest server and it suits my timezone fine (Europe). I have created 2 chars there now a human fighter and a night elf mystic. Yesterday I even had to fight for the spawns, go guessing how populated the beginners area's are there ::::35::

And what matters eve, I was comming out of 0.0 to get to empire. I turned in my ship and all stuff to the corp before I left 6 months ago. And when I came back I noticed the crop wasn't in the alliance anymore and I'm sitting in a little ibis in the paragon system. I guess you got the picture ::::01:: And mining I find boring, my char is fully skilled to combat and even more to EW ::::39::

• TensionxTensionx Member UncommonPosts: 14

This game requires a few things---

Dedication- Hundreds of hours of game play

Communication- Contrary to popular belief this game has a GIANT community but unfortanetly its community is based in Ventrilo (Voice over IP) Servers. Once you meet the minimum level requirement for a clan (generally 25-40) you will be invited by your new clan to your ventrilo server where the game then takes on a whole new life. NCsoft has built in MSN messenger into game and has plans to implement there own voice over ip system.

FPS skills/PvP skills
    The entire basis for the game is Dusk Vs. Dawn ie good vs. evil. Each server has its own unique serverscape where good and evil are determined by the type of player and there association with clans.

Play this game if you never want to play another game again. Once you are in ... You never leave.

Note: There is no Max level in this game because of Sub Classing and the quests are being worked on right now and have significantly increased since the birth of the game. visit www.lineage2.com and join now!

Originally posted by Tensionx
    Play this game if you never want to play another game again. Once you are in ... You never leave.
    Note: There is no Max level in this game because of Sub Classing and the quests are being worked on right now and have significantly increased since the birth of the game. visit www.lineage2.com and join now!

Do u work for NCsoft? ::::34::
    Aye, all you wrote above is true but clearly propaganda bullcrap. The lvling system is faster... faster wich means you get 40 in 2 months instead of 3 now? Yarr, shiver me timber!
    "Play this game and you'll never play another game" - actually, there's about 12k players from eve online who used to play Lineage2 but got so bloody tired of the grinding they went either to private server - wich I personally would recommend, or back to eve online!
    Well the MAX lvl you speak about, no wonder there's none coz it's nigh impossible to get there lol.
    The game blows end of story, play it for 20mins EVEN 20mins and you'll get tired of the bloody gollums standing around giving you a grand total of 8% per kill! I dunno what time you guys are on but I've seen a total of 5 guys running around (this was Teon, Bartz and Hindemith starting areas) and I was pk'ed by 2 of them! NO, the game hassen't gone from good to uber, yer, maybe if your 40 or 30+ atleast, but the thread was about starting playing... today! It's clearly too late to start playing now no matter what the NCsoft fella said up there.