Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we fed up with these survival games?

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    IMHO Survival games just need to be taken to the next level. Love the premise, they are just too small at the moment.

They need a much more massive world with interesting places to visit, baddies to kill and a few thousand people per server to share it all with.

In other words they need to go full on MMORPG
    I would like some examples of which games you are thinking are too small. Reason I say that is because some of the top titles I play are friggin massive
    Big enough to accommodate thousands of people, hundreds of kingdoms concurrently. Large enough to get yourself lost.
    well you can absolutely do that last part but yeah not so much thousands of people and hundreds of kingdoms 

Just as a point of reference most of the games I play have more land mass and more to do then Skyrim
    My main flightsim has the whole Earth modeled 1:1. Accurate roads, waterways and railroads. Accurate elevations to 1 meter that includes undersea. You can walk a toon around and you can walk for months and years just like real life. The majority of cities have accurate landmarks with the rest of the buildings being autogen, but there are accurate 3d cities being replicated, you can buy a true 3d replication of New York city with more cities on the way. The payware, freeware and mod community is totally massive. 

I'd love to see a game world where the distance across is measured in days, not minutes or hours.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Not a fan of the needing to look for food. That part seems tedious to me. I have watched some streams where thats 30-60 min of game time. I keep asking myself, how is that fun? I do like the building and crafting side of it. 
    It is basically the same as grinding dailies unless you have the right setting and mechanics for it.

But it can be fun as well if you have the right mentality: http://atopthefourthwall.com/delicious-in-dungeon-ch-1/

My thoughts is that unless feeding yourself and the family is the point of the entire game spending 30-60 minutes on it sound insanely boring. A post apocalyptic game where gasoline, food and clean water is the currency, which you also need to keep your family alive, would be far less boring then grinding it in a dungeon styled fantasy game as an extra grind.

If XP and gear is your main point of the game putting too much work into things you need to get those will be boring. 5 minutes to find some food and max another 5 to cook/craft it now and then is fine in that kind of game. Also, the food finding thing need to be diverse and fun. Maybe you grow it at your own small farm or together with your guild having apple trees, pigs, turnips and so on it. Maybe you hunt rarer meat that keep you feed longer or maybe you trade it for other goods.

I am not against that you need to eat or drink in a MMORPG, but I don't want to spend to much time away from the actual point of the game doing pointless things, there are already enough of that in MMORPGs. But do it right and it can instead be fun.
    my view is that if the game does not have farming, the hunting for food and water needs to be kept to a min. If it has a good and engaging farming system (and some games do and some do not) then hunting for food needs to be time consuming because otherwise why have farming.
    that doesnt mean not fun, but rather time consuming in that your time would be better spent doing something else that gains you level for example.

7DTD as an example, really (in my opinion) as a fairly weak farming system and most of that is BECAUSE you dont really need to do it. Food is too easy to get. So that should be balanced more. But also, you need to be spending your time building your base, not hunting for food, so there is the motovation for a farm, although in the game itself its not really balanced well like that (farming specifically)
    KyleranLoke666

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Loke666 said:
    7DTD as an example, really (in my opinion) as a fairly weak farming system and most of that is BECAUSE you dont really need to do it. Food is too easy to get. So that should be balanced more. But also, you need to be spending your time building your base, not hunting for food, so there is the motovation for a farm, although in the game itself its not really balanced well like that (farming specifically)
    Everything is easy to get in 7DTD, even on the most hardcore settings. 

It's a survival game for people afraid of survival games.
    Kyleran

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Loke666 said:

lol...yeah thats the ticket!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:
    It depends on the game I guess.
    I agree. I like Conan Exiles and I like Dark and Light (so far). They are closer to what I thought mmorpg's were supposed to be when I started out.

More like virtual worlds and less like "games" it seems to me.
    exactly. At this point, with the exception of a few mmorpg's, I'm almost prepared to say screw it, I'm only going to play these games.
    Not a fan of the needing to look for food. That part seems tedious to me. I have watched some streams where thats 30-60 min of game time. I keep asking myself, how is that fun? I do like the building and crafting side of it. 
    For me, making sure that i have the necessities to keep my character in "tip top shape" is fun. Because if I don't have those necessities then that introduces an axis of hardship (if you follow me) an Achilles heel.

As an example, I was playing a particularly convoluted player made dungeon in Skyrim when I ran out of food.

Finding my way out was difficult because the hallways went up and over other hallways thus obscuring the map. Since the dungeon was very dark one might miss a turn or a door.

Needless to say I was getting weaker, couldn't find my way out and still had to make it through the dungeon. To me that is fun.

Just like in Morrowind when I was playing a vampire character and had to rush (flying) over the land desperately looking for a cave or some such place as the sun was quickly coming up. To me that's fun.

Just logging in and not having an ebb and flow to the character is pretty lackluster for me. This is not to say I always want to "look" for food. I'm perfectly fine buying from players. But I like the component.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited July 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:
    It depends on the game I guess.
    I agree. I like Conan Exiles and I like Dark and Light (so far). They are closer to what I thought mmorpg's were supposed to be when I started out.

More like virtual worlds and less like "games" it seems to me.
    exactly. At this point, with the exception of a few mmorpg's, I'm almost prepared to say screw it, I'm only going to play these games.
    For me, making sure that i have the necessities to keep my character in "tip top shape" is fun. Because if I don't have those necessities then that introduces an axis of hardship (if you follow me) an Achilles heel.

As an example, I was playing a particularly convoluted player made dungeon in Skyrim when I ran out of food.

Finding my way out was difficult because the hallways went up and over other hallways thus obscuring the map. Since the dungeon was very dark one might miss a turn or a door.

Needless to say I was getting weaker, couldn't find my way out and still had to make it through the dungeon. To me that is fun.

Just like in Morrowind when I was playing a vampire character and had to rush (flying) over the land desperately looking for a cave or some such place as the sun was quickly coming up. To me that's fun.

Just logging in and not having an ebb and flow to the character is pretty lackluster for me. This is not to say I always want to "look" for food. I'm perfectly fine buying from players. But I like the component.
    The difference between your examples and survival games is if you failed to find food or shelter in time you can just reload a recent save game and try again until you succeed.

In most survival games it seems you go back to square one.

And then get spawn killed.   :#

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Loke666 said:

OK, that describes me to a "T"

I'm thinking maybe this would be a good intro to survival games as I could use some training wheels. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    @postlarval - I'm curious because I've played relatively few survival games. Could you rank the ones you are well acquainted with from most challenging to least challenging. Feel free to list certain game modes of the same game in multiple places on the list if needed.
    Eldurian said:
    @postlarval - I'm curious because I've played relatively few survival games. Could you rank the ones you are well acquainted with from most challenging to least challenging. Feel free to list certain game modes of the same game in multiple places on the list if needed.
    None of them are challenging. If you're going to pick one, do it for immersion value.

The Long Dark, Don't Starve, and Subnautica are my favorites.

I used to play 7DTD, but that game is going nowhere. A zombie SIM with shitty Minecraft mechanics haphazardly thrown in.

With all the survival games out there you are saying not a single one of them on any mode presents a decent challenge? Even if I was to say, do a hardcore mode and restart the game if I die once?
    Eldurian said:
    With all the survival games out there you are saying not a single one of them on any mode presents a decent challenge? Even if I was to say, do a hardcore mode and restart the game if I die once?
    Nope. It takes about 10 minutes to figure out the AI and survive any mobs coming at you. From there it's pretty much The SIMs with a bit of Minecraft.

As for online modes, you'll have to deal with snot-nosed brats who have no business running a server. Kill them and they'll shit their pants and boot you from their server. Rust is popular for those little mental defects. 7DTD isn't much better. Ark is where the bottom-feeders of the mental defects go to play, so either of the previous two is better than Ark.

Good luck. 

edited July 2017
    Eh. If I don't find a challenge I simply won't play them. I'm not deadset on playing a survival game. I just figured it would be fun to find one that is really difficult, play it on a difficult mode, and see how far I can get without dying. Maybe set myself some really challenging objective I would consider my "win condition."
    Eldurian said:
    Eh. If I don't find a challenge I simply won't play them. I'm not deadset on playing a survival game. I just figured it would be fun to find one that is really difficult, play it on a difficult mode, and see how far I can get without dying. Maybe set myself some really challenging objective I would consider my "win condition."
    Like I said earlier, some are more immersive, but I wouldn't bother if you are looking for a challenge. 

I love immersion but for a survival game, challenge should be part of the immersion. Imagine a real life survival scenario. You are dumped out somewhere in the wilderness, no food, possibly no immediately obvious source of drinkable water, and the threat of wild animals. Now amp out that threat level with things such as zombies or dinosaurs. Survival should be far from guaranteed.

I should experience frustration, some level of fear, and a major sense of accomplishment if I do achieve some major goal I set as my win condition such as "tame a dragon."

If the game isn't going to present those then... meh. There are other harder games out there.
    Eldurian said:
    I love immersion but for a survival game, challenge should be part of the immersion. Imagine a real life survival scenario. You are dumped out somewhere in the wilderness, no food, possibly no immediately obvious source of drinkable water, and the threat of wild animals. Now amp out that threat level with things such as zombies or dinosaurs. Survival should be far from guaranteed.

I should experience frustration, some level of fear, and a major sense of accomplishment if I do achieve some major goal I set as my win condition such as "tame a dragon."

If the game isn't going to present those then... meh. There are other harder games out there.
    Well, The Long Dark will give you most of that. I play it for the immersion. It one of those games you can lose yourself in. But it is by no means difficult.

The first time I played, I died after three days because I lost my bearings in a blizzard and froze to death.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Eldurian said:

Firstly for a more dangerous experience you want PVP servers. Secondly some of these games have a pretty extensive set of editable rules. Some servers are easier than others. Conan as an example can be about as hard to survive or progress as you want it to be or about as easy as anyone could want. It all depends on the server set up. 
    Kyleran

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its not really the genre that I dislike, it is the copycat mentality of game publishers.  Every time a game is successful, we get hundreds of clones just like it in a mad dash to grab the cash.  WoW made a boatload and then we had years of WoW clones.  Ark and the War-Z mod sold well and got good reviews and then everyone piled on those.  There are so few original ideas out there when it comes to games, it really is sad.

EldurianKyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

As much as I love PvP, PvP can be challenging in nearly any game. There is always someone better than you out there. For a survival game I would hope to be challenged by the environment. 
    Distopia said:

Conan as an example can be about as hard to survive or progress as you want it to be or about as easy as anyone could want. It all depends on the server set up. 
    Anyone who knows me knows that I'm looking for difficulty in survival and not a slow leveling process. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into The Long Dark and Conan Exiles.

Right now I already own Ark (Only survival game I own other than Minecraft) so I'm considering starting in a hard area on Scorched Earth with the settings that affect environmental difficulty maxed and seeing if I can build up to the point I have a tamed Wyvern. Perhaps a good warm up for the harder settings of those other games.
    Distopia
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I enjoy a few survival games. But there are two bad aspects towards survival games for me and one I dislike mostly (old gamer probably the reason).

1) Community sucks. Seems like every a$$hat in the world plays just to torment and destroy servers just so they can get a laugh. In general killing the server/game. I am an old gamer and the "kids" are just out of control. Finding every little glitch and trick just to hurt the community. I like pvp, crafter by heart though, but even I have limits on what I will do to my community. 

2) Early access. My good enough with this early access garbage. 90% of these games never make it anyways and just a waste. I think so many got released too fast and the market is flooded with everyone's golden idea of a survival game.  So many steam early access games just fail, and after awhile you just do not want to take that risk. I went back to MMORPG's, they just seem more stable and rewarding to me.

And my pet peeve, MMO- small server not the same thing. Its like telling me battlefield or call of duty is a MMO. 20-50 players is not massive amount of people to claim a MMO. Of course this is my opinion, and we all have one.  When a game tells me its going to be a MMO, I am thinking huge server(s), not petty ones. even some claim to be MMORPG's and lack everything  but the G.

I play Rust, just a bad community. Ark a bad community but fun, and 30 other ones. I would love a survival mmorpg like Fallen Earth, newer, housing, crafting, and a huge world. My dream anyways. Or just make SWG2 already :)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SEANMCAD said:
    my view is that if the game does not have farming, the hunting for food and water needs to be kept to a min. If it has a good and engaging farming system (and some games do and some do not) then hunting for food needs to be time consuming because otherwise why have farming.
    that doesnt mean not fun, but rather time consuming in that your time would be better spent doing something else that gains you level for example.

Agreed. It is the same thing as in any other game, you should always have multiple options to complete a goal like that. Farming, hunting, gathering, looting & buying for instance will work great as long as they don't cheapen out and make some of the options useless.

And you need to have those rather balanced but with some difference depending on the risk. A tough boss should have some food but not something really weak. The safer any option is the longer it should take but not too long, just to compensate for being risky. Anything in a PvP zone should be more rewarding then a safe zone if you PvP for the same reason.

And with farms you should also balance so stuff that gives more or longer lasting food should take more work. A chicken should be faster to breed then a cow and a turnip faster then an apple tree. So you can choose between something fast and easy that hopefully is enough or spend more time and be able to trade.

I don't think hunting for water should be hard in most zones, certain areas is fine but in most you should just fill your waterbag in a stream or river. In a desert or other dry area water should be harder to get and you should need more which would take planning but then areas like that should have slightly better loot.

And of course, cooked food and things like wine should give a slight buff as well, enough for people wanting it but not too much so it imbalances the game.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited July 2017
    Just do what I do and completely ignore them. Eventually you just forget they even exist. But then, ever since they started, I was like "wtf is this shit?"
    Talonsin said:
    Its not really the genre that I dislike, it is the copycat mentality of game publishers.  Every time a game is successful, we get hundreds of clones just like it in a mad dash to grab the cash.  WoW made a boatload and then we had years of WoW clones.  Ark and the War-Z mod sold well and got good reviews and then everyone piled on those.  There are so few original ideas out there when it comes to games, it really is sad.
    Yeah that is a huge frustration for me as well. While the MMO industry is by far the worst offender gaming in general is just plagued. IMO there are only two game types that are really justified in their existence:

1. Original game concepts - Minecraft, Portal, DOTA, Planetside, etc.

Things that may borrow some concepts from older games but they put them together as a unique package in a way that's never been done before to create an experience unlike any other games that came before them.

2. Exceptionally interesting takes on older game concepts. 

For instance SMITE is essentially LoL, which is essentially DotA, but giving it 3rd person based action based combat made it super interesting and fun for people like me who really don't enjoy the top down style of traditional MOBAs. It plays like an entirely different game despite ripping off almost everything else directly from those titles.

I'm also ok with game studios releasing sequels and new takes on their own titles. For instance Starcraft vs. Warcraft or Assassins Creed vs. Assassins Creed 2, 3 etc. It's their content, they can recycle their own experience in making the game and sometimes even assets, and generally they are expanding on the storyline of a known beloved universe.

What I absolutely cannot stand is when a game takes the concept from another game, makes it very slightly different, slaps their own label on it and call it a new game. Why should I pay you money for something I already own, and your rip off probably isn't as good anyway? Did you really spend thousands of dollars redoing something that's already been done? What a waste of time and resources.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Talonsin said:
    Its not really the genre that I dislike, it is the copycat mentality of game publishers.  

Why would you even care? Just play the first in the genre (or the "best"), and ignore everything else, problem solved! If game publisher can make money making copy-cat games, what is it to you?
    bartoni33
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
     If game publisher can make money making copy-cat games, what is it to you?
    Money drives development. If idiots keep lapping up shitty games like a parched man yearns for water then they will continue to make them. Developers are a finite group. So are the folks they are making games for. They will always go for the easy buck. Regurgitating the same style of games is killing the quality of all games.

TL;DR I hate survival games. Fucking make something else. B)
    Distopia

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Why would you even care? Just play the first in the genre (or the "best"), and ignore everything else, problem solved! If game publisher can make money making copy-cat games, what is it to you?
    Agreed, at least kinda. Bad copies are a bad idea and you need to be careful so your game does not like like too many others or it will not make much money unless it is by far the best.

There is room for copy games (or games inspired by other games) but if the entire genre is more or less just that both the devs and the players will suffer. We players lose motivation to start playing something just like the game we currently play and a bunch of others we already played and that means less revenue.

The fewer and more popular similar games a genre have the higher chance your game have to make loads of cash if you copy their ideas. With MMORPGs you have a harder time then with a new genre or one that recently got improved a lot. It have higher chance to earn cash if you copy Overwatch then Wow.