Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprised?

2»

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Depending on what you are looking for in a game loss can be fun.  I recently played some old Nintendo games called Ghouls n Ghosts and Gradius.  

They are not long games, but the fact that you only get a certain number of tries before you have to start over makes things very difficult to progress.  You basically have to master the pattern to win.  Some old MMOs were kind of like this as well, but they were quite a bit longer.  

The main issue here is that it's much more difficult to get through an entire area or game without making a mistake than it is to constantly restart at the exact place you made a mistake.  Having to get only one thing right in succession is a lot easier than having to get many things right.  

Example 1
    You have 4 lives and have to start over after that.

Example 2
    You have unlimited lives and can always start at your last mistake.

In Example 1 you get 4 tries to make in all the way through the game and you get to start where you made your last mistake, but if you make more than 4 mistakes you have to start over.  In this example, you have to master the different areas because you will need to have a fairly high success rate throughout the game.

In Example 2 you can restart from your last mistake whenever you would like to.  Since each little encounter in the game is encapsulated you haven't really mastered anything.  You have beaten each individual encounter, but unless you can confidently beat it on a consistent basis it hasn't really been mastered.  You could have just gotten lucky to get past each of these encounters.  

In the first example, it's highly unlikely you would get lucky enough to defeat all the encounters in succession without losing more than 4 times.  It's more likely you would have played through each encounter enough to have learned its pattern and achieve a high success rate.

This really depends on your definition of fun.  I think it would be difficult to argue that it isn't harder.
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Undertale: Totally broke my expectations. I thought I would get bored watching the 8 bit graphics and playing some minigame style battles but damn that game is awesome. Gotta say the music really makes that game phenomenal <3

Wildstar: I tried it in beta but wasn't really impressed and only joined the launch because few of my friends wanted to play it. After some hours I realized how fun and goofy the game actually is and the combat is fun. The housing system was amazing and I loved to go and see what kind of crazy creations other people had made.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    SEANMCAD said:
    Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play
    I honestly can't remember anything like that.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I thought BDO was absolute trash and slogged through it after watching some Youtube videos. . once I got past the controls. . the voice overs not matching text and the interactive combat I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought Mortal Online was going to be the Schtuff and logged countless hours in alpha / beta. . it got worse and didn't pan out at all.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited August 2017
    Sometimes I'll buy a game and it will turn me off after the first 15 mins. of play.  I'll come back to it months or even years later and play it like an addiction, even get the DLC.  It's like it took my brain that long to get ready to play it.

Actually, Half-Life was one of the games.  Got to the middle of it and just dropped it.  Came back a year later and finished it and played and loved the entire series after that.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I just recently discovered a MOBA game called "Heroes Evolved". My first thought was like "ew a copycat of LOL". But after some plays it turned out that I liked it so much!! Maybe the champions appearance is to my liking, even better than LOL champions. And the playing style is the combination of LOL and DOTA but is much easier to play. The skins are excellent, cause I also love Anime so you know.
    One more interesting thing is that this game also has RPG plays. You will use the champions with their skills to farm level, find good items,...
    Both MOBA and RPG style in 1 game.

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    When I first played Morrowind, I actually hated it. It then became one of my favorate games of all time.
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Technomancer. Was really surprised how much i liked it. Only got it because it was cheap, there was no advertising around it just happened to come across it whilst browsing the xbox marketplace. Now im hooked, kinda reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    SEANMCAD said:
    Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play
    If I expect not to like a game, then why would I play it at all, let alone for 20+ hours?  I don't have time to play all of the games that sound like they could be good, let alone to make time for ones that don't.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Would have to be Dark and light have only tried it on single player at the moment, but having fun building a base. very grindy game but you level up a lot of skills to keep it interesting don't know how long ill play it for but can honestly say I'm pleasantly surprised at the moment .