Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Press Releases Portalarium & Lord British Joins Forces with NEVERDIE

RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/302142/Portalarium__Lord_British_Famed_developer_of_Ultima_Shroud_of_the_Avatar_Joins_Forces_with_NEVERDIE_in_Supportof_Their_ICO_to_Provide_Millions_of_Gamers_Universal_EthereumBasedNEVERDIE__Teleport_Gaming_Tokens.php

"We are devout believers that people living in and contributing to our virtual worlds can and should earn real world value for the time and value they bring to our world,” said Garriott, Portalarium’s CEO and Shroud’s creative director. “Having direct access to a publicly tradeable currency is a great way to provide this. I’m also extremely pleased to be invited to advise Neverdie on this exciting and ambitious project. Additionally, Shroud of the Avatar already has a deeply committed player base while in early access. We are exploring how our players can earn market based value with NEVERDIE NDC and TPT tokens that are both useable directly in the game as well as traded on the open market.
Royou

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited July 2017
    I was just considering sharing a story I found linking crypto currencies and gaming. 

Taking it to the next level of P2W? ;)

Lemme go find the link.  (could not figure out how to link this on my phone..grrr)

Here it is, more specifically about block chains which I'm currently reading up on.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/how-blockchain-gaming-is-evolving-the-way-games-are-played

Post edited by Kyleran on
    Rawyn[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    I'm guessing the whales will be happy with it. 

Garriott quoted saying. 

"We are devout believers that people living in and contributing to our virtual worlds can and should earn real world value for the time and value they bring to our world,” said Garriott, Portalarium’s CEO and Shroud’s creative director. “

"We are exploring how our players can earn market based value with NEVERDIE NDC and TPT tokens that are both useable directly in the game as well as traded on the open market."
    edited July 2017
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/how-blockchain-gaming-is-evolving-the-way-games-are-played

Just noticed this quote from John NEVERDIE Jacobs who is mentioned as partnering with Garriott.

Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs, President of Virtual Reality, told Cointelegraph:

“As a platform, the Blockchain is best suited for games where there is real cash value involved. Whenever you are dealing with items with real cash value, you are connected to the real world. It is only when you are playing games where there is no intrinsic value at stake that you are disconnected from the real world.”

and this,

"Lately, Planet Rocktropia has been reported getting ready to integrate their own Ethereum token into the Entropia Universe known as NEVERDIE Coin (NDC). Currently, in the ICO stage, the token will allow gamers to kill mobs and loot NDC which can be traded between players or sold on an exchange. "

RawynMrMelGibsonRoyou

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    This is it.  This is the moment when Shroud of the Avatar officially died.  The soul crushing grind that targets retired people and cat lovers with nothing better to spend their disability money on;  now with 100% moar money laundering!

They're all going to lose everything now.  Oh the humanity!
    RawynKyleranMrMelGibsonGdemamiRoyoupostlarval
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited July 2017
    I just saw this on Reddit... if nothing else it proves Portalarium do honestly expect the SeedInvest to fail, as the article on Goals quoted Lord British as saying; so they're desperately scrabbling around trying to find alternative sources of funding.

But how tone deaf do you have to be to think that classic Ultima fans want to be currency speculators? I know the very few remaining in the Whale Cult do, but everyone else? Have they just given up pretending now, and are going all out for full on John Galts now?

It's going to be interesting to see how much money gets withdrawn from Shroud now... surely those few remaining decent players who hung on hoping for a quality game will see where it's going now? There can't be many more scales left to fall from many eyes, but this has to shake them, surely?

Surely?

RawynRoyoupostlarval
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'll be honest, I don't think I understand what this cryptocurrency shit even is...Sounds like they want to turn SotA into a job?
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonGdemamiRawyn
    I'll be honest, I don't think I understand what this cryptocurrency shit even is...Sounds like they want to turn SotA into a job?

Rocktropia is part of the NEVERDIE Studios portfolio...   F2P, buy coins, etc... all that's left is for Portalarium to go to a mobile gaming platform.
    Rawyn

Rocktropia is part of the NEVERDIE Studios portfolio...   F2P, buy coins, etc... all that's left is for Portalarium to go to a mobile gaming platform.

Play to earn cash?  Wow, it really is a job of sorts.  And to think, people just wanted a new Ultima.

MrMelGibsonGdemami[Deleted User]Rawyn
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited July 2017
    This is it.  This is the moment when Shroud of the Avatar officially died.  The soul crushing grind that targets retired people and cat lovers with nothing better to spend their disability money on;  now with 100% moar money laundering!

I'm a cat lover and retired.  They aren't getting any of my cat money though.

Shaigh[Deleted User]Royoufrancis_baudConstantineMerusRufusUO
    There are players on the SotA official forums that are actually supporting this.  I guess many of those heavy investors in the game really were just looking it as a way to make money.  This may be the most disheartening concept I have ever seen in gaming.
    GdemamiRawyn

Specifically, Lord British will provide insight into the structure of the VR government, which will be granted an endowment of Teleport tokens and NEVERDIE Coins. Lord British will advise as teleporters are built to connect virtual worlds. He will also participate in the creative balancing of NEVERDIE's universal game economy.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/17/07/m9795686/ultimas-famed-lord-british-joins-forces-with-jon-neverdie-jacobs-to-uni

VR government... dafuq?  Like I want to deal with .gov while I'm playing games.  That's it, I'm calling my VR union rep, and my VR congressman.  And after my bot's shift in the SotA mines is over, I'm going to teleport over to some other F2P game where I can buy coins to sell to SotA whales.

And then I'll log off for a while to go IRL poop and eat a sandwich... God, I hope they get a mobile version of SotA online soon.  I can already hear all my hard work being rewarded!

Richard Garriott, making the VR gaming world great again.

MrMelGibson
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed in this picture was that the gun on the left is a Ruger?
    RoyouMrMelGibsonKyleran

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited July 2017

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed in this picture was that the gun on the left is a Ruger?
    Nah.  Personally, I went Cat 1st, Ruger a close second.
    Post edited by MrMelGibson on
    I love this, so Lord British comes out and basically says... I have no idea what's going on, but it's cool... right?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/partnering-with-neverdie-on-their-ico-for-etherium-block-chain-tokens.95387/page-4#post-847682
    "BTW - crypt0 -currency is all WAY too hard for anyone. It took me days to buy bit coins a few years ago and again to prep to accept ETH much less NDC & TPT tokens. Obviously we could give them to anyone, until we / they / someone figures out a much easier way for them to be in use. Again, this is a long term experiment. Yet, worthwhile, I believe!"

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Painless death is the best Portalarium can hope for at this point.
    Rawyn

Specifically, Lord British will provide insight into the structure of the VR government, which will be granted an endowment of Teleport tokens and NEVERDIE Coins. Lord British will advise as teleporters are built to connect virtual worlds. He will also participate in the creative balancing of NEVERDIE's universal game economy.

https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/17/07/m9795686/ultimas-famed-lord-british-joins-forces-with-jon-neverdie-jacobs-to-uni

VR government... dafuq?  Like I want to deal with .gov while I'm playing games.  That's it, I'm calling my VR union rep, and my VR congressman.  And after my bot's shift in the SotA mines is over, I'm going to teleport over to some other F2P game where I can buy coins to sell to SotA whales.

And then I'll log off for a while to go IRL poop and eat a sandwich... God, I hope they get a mobile version of SotA online soon.  I can already hear all my hard work being rewarded!

Richard Garriott, making the VR gaming world great again.

Well, John Jacobs did announce his bid as "President of Virtual Reality" in 2005. Whack job.

It's also no coincidence he's linked to Anshe Ching and Markee Dragon, both who run sites that buy/sell Shroud of the Avatar items and gold , allowed by Portalarium.

Richard is just adding the third musketeer to his trilogy of sleaze.
    Rawyn

Torval said:
    It sounds like they want to go the Entropia route with cryptocurrency.

As long as the single player offline game doesn't have to deal with that I'm fine. The online part doesn't work for me, but the offline part is alright.
    Well, the Wikipedia page for Entropia says this: "The game can be played for free, but spending money on the in-game currency allows significant additional options like purchasing items, skills, deeds/shares, services from other players." Sounds EXACTLY like SotA.
    blorpykinsRawyn

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Complete junk.

But, believe it or not they actually have people who believe this means nothing...that it won't change anything.  Some are ecstatic to get a chance to make money...or should I say more money.   Now with the accusations that people are getting inside trading information for in game changes from the QA servers even more fun.
    RawynGdemami
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Seems like a ridiculous move.

It goes to show that the game in the current state is unsustainable. They probably thought: "Noone is interested in the game, we aren't capturing any of the RPG market. Let's capture the full-RMT market instead". In practice, it will likely be a disaster on both fronts. You can't simply tack on full RMT. Doing so will completely disrupt whatever is left of the RPG, as well as make the RMT impossible to implement properly. You need to build a game for this sort of thing from the ground up.

I think it will affect single player as well, if not the most. This marks a clear change in development strategy. If they want to try make RMT work, regardless of it succeeding, they will have to fully commit to that path. It sounds like they are confused and tempted by the pie in the sky, so I'd be surprised if they didn't commit. In practice, this will mean largely abandoning the development of features that you would enjoy in single player, instead facilitating RMT in multi player.

Personally, I see the chances of this succeeding close to zero. Noone is interested in RMT in a flawed unpopular game. Second Life was popular because every line of code (and every design) was living and breathing RMT - it makes some sense potential investors would flock to a product like that. Entropia was disguised as an "RPG-like" game, but had a strong RMT foundation as well. SOTA can't compare in that respect at all.
    RawynGdemami
    Torval said:
    It sounds like they want to go the Entropia route with cryptocurrency.

As long as the single player offline game doesn't have to deal with that I'm fine. The online part doesn't work for me, but the offline part is alright.
    Read up on the teleportation prospectus, I think it would affect even the single player side as it proposes monetizing all fast travel options and the more personal it is (i.e. solo teleportation) the more expensive it is.

Want to walk everywhere or ride your mount, free travel.  Want to fly a gryphon, take a train etc, 10 cents a ride.  Want to fast teleport between city terminals, 20 cents a trip, instant teleportation to a personal marker or base, 25 cents.

Even more the proposal assumes players will be paid real wages to run and maintain these services, perhaps even being "conscripted" for a year to do so.

The entire proposal sounds crazy , but I've found the less appealing an idea sounds to me, the more popular it turns out to be. ;)

RawynMrMelGibson