Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer wont turn on

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    OhhPaigey said:
    Ok all. So no luck on finding a replacement PSU. I did catch that video Octagon linked and picked up a CR2032 battery. Changed my old one.

Now I have the PC on its side with just the ssd and ram plugged in and its turning on but shutting off and restarting after a couple of seconds. Dont have it hooked up to a monitor so not sure if its showing an error message. Nothing is beeping at me and the fans and lights are running while its on.

Is this normal? I dont want to leave it doing that if its a hardware failure or something.
    So you did not buy one or you did and it's not working still?

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited July 2017
    OhhPaigey said:
    Ok all. So no luck on finding a replacement PSU. I did catch that video Octagon linked and picked up a CR2032 battery. Changed my old one.

Now I have the PC on its side with just the ssd and ram plugged in and its turning on but shutting off and restarting after a couple of seconds. Dont have it hooked up to a monitor so not sure if its showing an error message. Nothing is beeping at me and the fans and lights are running while its on.

Is this normal? I dont want to leave it doing that if its a hardware failure or something.

I wasnt able to find a PSU I need but i picked up a new motherboard battery.

Changing that gave me a couple seconds of boot up but now the computer is restarting over and over. Should i hook up to my monitor and see if its giving errors?
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Remove your GPU card also. 
    Remove your GPU card also. 
    Yeah right now i have my storage hdd and gpu out. Ssd and ram are in. Nothing plugged in the pc except the power cord.
    edited July 2017
    At all times now the motherboard power light is on. But now its just my PC restarting

Which leads me to believe its probably not the psu, right?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    Sounds like it was the battery if so you have to boot into your bios and configure it which is probably why you're getting those beeps.
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:

Changing that gave me a couple seconds of boot up but now the computer is restarting over and over. Should i hook up to my monitor and see if its giving errors?
    Yes. Sounds like it was the battery if so you have to boot into your bios and configure it which is probably why you're getting those beeps.  I think the second video covers that.
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited July 2017
    Sounds like it was the battery if so you have to boot into your bios and configure it which is probably why you're getting those beeps.
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:

Yes. Sounds like it was the battery if so you have to boot into your bios and configure it which is probably why you're getting those beeps.  I think the second video covers that.
    Is it normal for it to restart itself every 5 ish seconds? In other words should I plug everything back in and see whats being displayed on my monitors
    Plug in the basic items you need to run the system no printers, storage drives, at this point. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

If the bios has the wrong date and settings it could cause resets.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

• StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    OhhPaigey said:
    If the psu is the problem ill be building a new pc lol

You do that, spend at least $2000.00 on the new computer or else you will have the same issue again. You can also reuse your original power supply, but you gotta replace everything else......
    Gdemami
    edited July 2017
    Well. Plugged in GPU monitors keyboard and mouse. Monitors arent showing anything and keyboard and mouse arent lighting up... sigh.

Both my monitors are not displaying "no signal" at least..
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:

Is it normal for it to restart itself every 5 ish seconds? In other words should I plug everything back in and see whats being displayed on my monitors
    Not normal, and not good.

I see you already plugged everything in. Did you do the jump start test on the PSU, or just plug it in and pray?

What you are seeing is either:
    Bad PSU - still likely
    Bad Motherboard - also likely
    Short circuit somewhere - very bad.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Ridelynn said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    OhhPaigey said:

Not normal, and not good.

I see you already plugged everything in. Did you do the jump start test on the PSU, or just plug it in and pray?

What you are seeing is either:
    Bad PSU - still likely
    Bad Motherboard - also likely
    Short circuit somewhere - very bad.
    The jump start thing scared me lol so i didnt do it. If my monitors arent getting a screen and mouse and keyboard arent lighting up whats that probably the mobo?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2017
    Right now, repeatedly powering it on with computer components risks damaging one of them, if they aren't already damaged. You should minimize that as much as possible.

It could be any of the three things I listed (and even maybe a few outliers that I didn't list). But without the jump start test, or just replacing parts and finding out, your never gonna know.

[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I mean its easy to fix...

Use a good voltage tester or circuit tester on your outlet try another device.

Never use a PC without a UPS system and grounded outlet if its not grounded this is easy to do.

Get a power supply tester and test the power supply, if you know more what ur doing u can even open the power supply even though it says not to due to obvious hazardous voltage reasons.

If the power supply is okay and you tried to boot the computer without a video card, just the Motherboard,cpu, and memory nothing else connected.

If it doesn't turn on then its likely the motherboard id pop the battery, unplug the pc and try a Bios reset often this can be a reason to why it wont turn on in the first place.

If you are using a reputable motherboard it such as an ASUS or better it should have error beeps or post code showing an error.
    OhhPaigeyGdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Oh and that guy in the video, the battery holds the information lol made my day.
    Theres a green reset light on my mobo lit up
    OhhPaigey said:
    Theres a green reset light on my mobo lit up
    It's not staying on long enough to even POST.    Another thing is, CMOS batteries wouldn't really cause the PC to reset or not turn on like that. Proper power to the motherboard would take over the function of the CMOS battery and only when you completely remove power would it reset, but that's not the case, you're not getting any beeps at all.  

The likelihood that its still a power supply or to an extent the motherboard is still pretty high.  This could also happen if your CPU was overheating, but 5 seconds isn't very long for it to reach that point even if you had a poor heatsink.  
    OhhPaigey

Well i appreciate your guys help. Im gonna order a new PC tomorrow. Hopefully my hdd and ssd are still fine. The rest is goin in the trash.

Thanks again.
    OhhPaigey said:
    Well i appreciate your guys help. Im gonna order a new PC tomorrow. Hopefully my hdd and ssd are still fine. The rest is goin in the trash.

Thanks again.
    your HDD, SSD and GPU should all be fine.

Torval said:
    OhhPaigey said:

Thanks again.
    Don't throw away the 970 unless you're certain it's toast. It's still worth something even if you just give it to a friend or family member.

I wouldn't trust the PSU, RAM, or MOBO. The CPU may be okay, or who knows.
    Luckily RAM generally has a lifetime warranty on it, so keep that.
    [Deleted User]

edited July 2017
    Ya i might give away my 970 to a friend and keep the hdd sdd and ram maybe.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3RBfBP

Thats the my new build mainly for gaming and random streaming for friends.

Or maybe ill go with the i7 7700k.. idk

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vypxM8
    Post edited by OhhPaigey on
    Gdemami
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    It's typical for the computer to constantly reset if a setting is out of spec or there is not enough power. It happens a lot with OCing and switching hardware that draws more power than the PSU can produce. However, from the description I don't think the issue is with the PC. House wiring could also be the issue in this case if it booted up at the PC repair shop.
    If you reset your bios, your PC should automatically boot into the bios settings. With your particular age of hardware, the display might not be displaying through an optical wire without the correct drivers. I would first hook everything up analog with DVI plugs and a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Of course, now that it has been 4 years since your last pc it's also a good time to upgrade unlike last year.
    GdemamiOhhPaigey
    edited July 2017
    Brought in my PC today out of curiousity. The motherboard is fried and along with it the CPU.
    [Deleted User]
    Im assuming the ssd hdd and gpu are still fine but the hdd and ssd have been trouble from the start.

Probably just keep my 970 sc acx 2.0 and scrap the rest once i move a couple things over from my hdd