Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To Build Your First House - Life is Feudal Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageHow To Build Your First House - Life is Feudal Videos - MMORPG.com

Greetings! The time has come once again to welcome you, feudal champion, back into our expansive medieval realm, where thousands of courageous souls strive for power and glory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Might wanna fix the thumbnail - its for Dead by Daylight :P

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Hah.
    JamesGoblin

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yeah, totally my fault. Working on it. :)
    Xarko

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nyctelios said:
    Their system is straight up Salem terraform and craft system. And its great.
    Salem? interesting I was thinking Wurm. Wurm terraforming is exactly the same way, well slightly easier.
    JamesGoblinRemyVorender

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Interesting crafting guide, which is saying a lot since I have no interest in crafting. ;)
    SBFordConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

kinido said:
    Might wanna fix the thumbnail - its for Dead by Daylight :P
    well I have thought that cross game play could be an interesting aspect, so when you go into a certian area it then changes to a different game for the contxt
    BillMurphy

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited July 2017
    Cool you get to make stuff with your bear hands. image
    KyleranwingoodJamesGoblin[Deleted User]XarkoNephethMensurste2000ConstantineMerus
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Dont know why but I keep thinking its "Life is futile"
    KyleranJamesGoblinLucienRene
  • GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Full loot, open PvP, asset destruction...

I don't see this working out well for the crafters that work their butts off just to build this small hovel; log off and come back the next day to find some jack-wagon has burned their humble home to the ground.

It just "reeks" of all kinds of fun doesn't it?...
    KyleranLucienReneMightyUncleanqomaJoseph_KerrAnskierpostlarvalCoated

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited July 2017

Grym said:

I don't see this working out well for the crafters that work their butts off just to build this small hovel; log off and come back the next day to find some jack-wagon has burned their humble home to the ground.

Life is Frustrating (AF) Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.
    Grympostlarval
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    pre-modelled house !? no, thanks.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF) Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.
    When you build at a location and build a claim monument it prevents asset destruction except for "Judgment Hour" which is the only window that allows any type of destruction. This mechanic coupled with the karma system penalties when committing crime make wanton destruction a decision that has long term consequences. Life is Feudal encourages strong group play for long term success in the MMO setting. Anyone who asks questions or reads further into the facts of the game usually avoid the tired old cliche posts tied to other games of the genre that failed to have proper systems in place to ensure fun and exciting gameplay mechanics.
    NephethRexKushmanAlomarforcelimaMadFrenchie
    pre-modelled house !? no, thanks.
    instead of the norm for MMOs which is no building at all?
    Kyleran

edited July 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Their system is straight up Salem terraform and craft system. And its great.
    Salem? interesting I was thinking Wurm. Wurm terraforming is exactly the same way, well slightly easier.
    Never played it. But the "flat it by lowering to it's lowest corner" is how Salem works.

So in Salem you have color code for height. You open a tool and select an area, it will show the squares and color code their vertices (thus coloring the edges) so you know what is lower and what is higher.

The crafting system is the same: You chose a thing to build, place it somewhere and then deliver the ingredients.

I think I finally found my "Salem but polished" game to play.
    yes its identical to how Wurm works. Wurm however you have to lower all four corners and it doesnt use colors

oh and wurm is of course in first person view like LIF is.
    [Deleted User]Mensur

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.

When you build at a location and build a claim monument it prevents asset destruction except for "Judgment Hour" which is the only window that allows any type of destruction. This mechanic coupled with the karma system penalties when committing crime make wanton destruction a decision that has long term consequences. Life is Feudal encourages strong group play for long term success in the MMO setting. Anyone who asks questions or reads further into the facts of the game usually avoid the tired old cliche posts tied to other games of the genre that failed to have proper systems in place to ensure fun and exciting gameplay mechanics.

Sooo... you build a PvP centric game which automatically puts most PvE centric players off and will probably avoid altogether; then you turn around and implement harsh penalties for PvP bad behavior...

Not sure you've thought your game mechanics all the way through when it comes to your target audience. Best of luck tho...

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

edited July 2017
    Grym said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

Another game that was conceived in the days of high adventure when full loot, non-consensual PvP actually seemed like something that might appeal to a lot of players. Add to that the joy of having your shit torn down all the time, and you've got a sure hit that will appeal to that huge population of raving sadists and masochists.

Sooo... you build a PvP centric game which automatically puts most PvE centric players off and will probably avoid altogether; then you turn around and implement harsh penalties for PvP bad behavior...

Not sure you've thought your game mechanics all the way through when it comes to your target audience. Best of luck tho...
    Actually I think they have, more for PVP soldiers than gankers.

Think of it as a mix of SB/DF with much less (but not zero) random pking.

I'd say people who enjoy EVE might like this one. (if only they would let folks build lasers) ;)
    MadFrenchieMensur[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited July 2017
    I want to do this in real life but I'm still figuring out the whole lack of internet in the wilderness thing. How can I live without cat videos and memes?

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Tyr216 said:

I want to do this in real life but I'm still figuring out the whole lack of internet in the wilderness thing. How can I live without cat videos and memes?

Probably the same way people did before cat videos and memes.

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

This sounds good.

I personally enjoy MMORPGs built around systems ensuring certain level of freedom and realism  as long as they are supported by adequate regulatory mechanisms designed to serve as a control preventing excessive level of negative behavior / abusing of these systems.

You just need to make sure the consequences are severe enough to represent an effective deterrent. If you achieve this, you end up with a superior product to games which rather give up on the freedom aspect and simply diasallow you to, for instance, hit another person in the game world. Such systems are like an equivalent of invisible walls to me. 

The conseqences if pushed far enough, "lowering your karma below -50" will permanently flag your character a muderous thieving villian and then everyone will see you flagged perma red and can all kill you without penalty. Another important note is the fact that the lower your karma rating the more skill points you lose upon each death. You can lose skill points to the level that you cannot even equip armor or weapons or maybe the poorest quality armor and weapons. A negative 50 flag is permanent for that toon. There is no reroll of toons in Life is Feudal. Each character purchases access to the main gameworld. Hence you live with your sins, or, you buy access for a new toon with real money. ;)
    forcelima[Deleted User]Kyleran

Grym said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

Sanctioned PVP " Kingdom wars, guild wars" when officially declared through ingame mechanics do not incur any penalties whatsoever between the warring factions. Only asshatery and mindless murdering will get you penalized.

So yeah, we have thought it through pretty throughly if you ask me. ;)
    Yeah, totally my fault. Working on it. :)
    really?

Saxx0n said:

Saxx0n said:

Grym said:

Grym said:

Life is Frustrating (AF)

This sounds good.

I personally enjoy MMORPGs built around systems ensuring certain level of freedom and realism  as long as they are supported by adequate regulatory mechanisms designed to serve as a control preventing excessive level of negative behavior / abusing of these systems.

You just need to make sure the consequences are severe enough to represent an effective deterrent. If you achieve this, you end up with a superior product to games which rather give up on the freedom aspect and simply diasallow you to, for instance, hit another person in the game world. Such systems are like an equivalent of invisible walls to me. 

The conseqences if pushed far enough, "lowering your karma below -50" will permanently flag your character a muderous thieving villian and then everyone will see you flagged perma red and can all kill you without penalty. Another important note is the fact that the lower your karma rating the more skill points you lose upon each death. You can lose skill points to the level that you cannot even equip armor or weapons or maybe the poorest quality armor and weapons. A negative 50 flag is permanent for that toon. There is no reroll of toons in Life is Feudal. Each character purchases access to the main gameworld. Hence you live with your sins, or, you buy access for a new toon with real money. ;)
    Interesting system. Thanks for the explanation. 

Looking forward :).
    When you think about it, since there is no way to improve a karma rating below -50 nor reroll on the same account it's almost a form of perma death unless you can make sure somehow your character never dies and manages to avoid skill losses.

[Deleted User]

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Loved WURM. My only issue with it was the time it took to do...anything. This is WURM with better graphics. I would love them to make terraforming about 40% faster in LiF.

Joined - July 2004

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I play this. And I can tell that crafting is amazing. But its far too easy to steal and destroy. Life is Feudal indeed. I have no desire to craft anything any more when a pair of naked dudes with clubs can come in and steal it in 5 minutes. Reminds me of why Rust failed.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Spiider said:
    I play this. And I can tell that crafting is amazing. But its far too easy to steal and destroy. Life is Feudal indeed. I have no desire to craft anything any more when a pair of naked dudes with clubs can come in and steal it in 5 minutes. Reminds me of why Rust failed.
    That's horrible I wouldn't want to either.
    Chamber of Chains