Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Trend in gaming?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
edited July 2017 in General Gaming
ok even this hard core survivalist gamer can admit that block building survival games (although I love) are hitting a wall in new content. Its not (in my view) nearly as bad as FPS games and other more long standing genres but I can say its time for something new

So what new (POSITIVE) trend in game play do you see possibly coming around the corner.

More of a feature then a game play genre I think intense weather is going to become more common. Not just weather that is mildly part of your experience but I mean like friggin tornadoes tearing down your base kind of weather

That and Westerns I think will be the next trend

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

HatefullGdemaminastya72rus

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    You need multiple data points to get a trend...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    waynejr2 said:
    very insightful thanks for your input.

what do you think those will be in the near future?
    holdenhamlet

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Full fledged mobile integration

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    So 2010  :D

Virtual reality.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

can you provide more detail. I think I know what your getting at but not sure. If you are thinking what I am thinking I think it could be very compelling

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "Positive" that would assume we think current and past trends have been positive.

it is always hit n miss but judging by current  BUSINESS trends i see more business end gimmicks than quality gaming trends.
    It is tough for me to predict because i have to put myself in the mindset of creating bad lame gimmicks and i can't do that as i seek quality gaming not business dealings.

Still i can venture a guess based on markets and what devs aim for to make profits.We are currently in the VR market and that is really the only newish trend at the moment.So looking at the obvious,a VR mmorpg since there is no such market at the moment so easy sell.

Imo it will be crap and a half assed effort just like all of VR right now but you never know,out there are some honest game loving devs who want to do good things.
    Hatefull

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2017
    Wizardry said:
    "Positive" that would assume we think current and past trends have been positive.

BUSINESS...
    no..no what do you think will be the NEXT trend that is GAME PLAY related that is not a NEGATIVE post? I dont want see a bunch of emo posts about trends in monitzation and salty tears. I want to see what game play mechanics focused things that are exciting that you think might be coming in the future, like for instance....extreme weather
    cameltosis

Elidien said:
    I think it will be "how does VR do?". Right now, VR gaming reminds me of the discussion around 3D tv. 3D tv while interesting and kinda cool in some ways, never "tipped" and went big.

I am curious what will happen with the technology behind VR. Will it be big and therefore appeal to the consumer? If so, how will the price change?

I think a lot of the market is waiting to see if VR will "trend" or not.
    I think what VR needs at the moment is the content. Given it takes 3-4 years to create a standard game I dont think its unrealistic to assume its going to take longer then that for deep compelling long lasting VR content. My trouble is I dont like puzzle games, its compelling in VR sure but long standing that aint going to cut it for me

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    VRs problem is making it good and affordable.  Now it's expensive and good or cheap and bad.  I'm looking forward to AR.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

As a long time developer, I don't think I am going to come up with the right answer.  If you had asked me where mmoRPGs were heading back in the early days of EQ1, I would have talked in terms of massive virtual worlds with expanding game play features.  Obviously it didn't go that way and really went down the bean counter route.

So I could "predict" something and it would likely be wrong.

Prediction:  Games will continue to cater to the masses with dumbing down (as I see it).  Also, new technologies will be leveraged for sales but not really offer great new gameplay.  Some players will deny this saying it is amazing new and unlike anything before.   Finally, my 2018 prediction for what music will be popular is  "top  40 music".
    PhaserlightlaserittimtrackGdemami
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    waynejr2 said:

As a long time developer, I don't think I am going to come up with the right answer.  If you had asked me where mmoRPGs were heading back in the early days of EQ1, I would have talked in terms of massive virtual worlds with expanding game play features.  Obviously it didn't go that way and really went down the bean counter route.

So I could "predict" something and it would likely be wrong.

Prediction:  Games will continue to cater to the masses with dumbing down (as I see it).  Also, new technologies will be leveraged for sales but not really offer great new gameplay.  Some players will deny this saying it is amazing new and unlike anything before.   Finally, my 2018 prediction for what music will be popular is  "top  40 music".
    this isnt a court of law you are allowed to make silly hopeful wishful predictions but fair enough. thanks for dropping in though
    Gdemami

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    SEANMCAD said:
    can you provide more detail. I think I know what your getting at but not sure. If you are thinking what I am thinking I think it could be very compelling
    If it is what I think he is saying, then it was on the horizon in 2010, and very much a thing in 2011 and on...

I will continually write about it because it was an amazing experience to play a game I had been enthused in for the past 7 years on PC on mobile.  Play locations suddenly went from "at home" to "anywhere".  It is a profound leap.

Per @waynejr2 perhaps 2010-2011 doesn't count as a trend, because I'm pretty sure Vendetta more or less stood alone in this regard until being joined this year by Albion.  In that sense, perhaps @Slapshot1188 is correct that full fledged mobile integration is the next "trend".  Just pointing out that it has been around for a while, if this indeed is what he means.

So... the big "wow!" at full fledged mobile integration came in 2011 for me.  This year and last it has been about virtual reality.  I don't know if VR is going to "tip" or not, but it is a compelling technology that alters the means of play in a way that no other medium can (so far).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited July 2017
    VRs problem is making it good and affordable.  Now it's expensive and good or cheap and bad.  I'm looking forward to AR.
    from my experience it is VERY good..its outstandingly good.
    its not cheap however and the content of depth is not here yet.

that is my take first hand hours having used VR

edited July 2017
    Elidien said:
    I think Skyrim and Fallout will be the tale of the tape for VR. If they succeed well, people will pay attention. If they flop...

I agree with AR. Pokemon Go is a few things from being really cool. I remember when it launched people spread a rumor about a Harry Potter game that is similar. I cannot imgaine how fast I would play that!

AR if done well, could be HUGE.
    those two could also become the nail in the coffin for Oculus.
    Zenimax's hardon to oculus them is borderline psychotic  and its likely to work
    [Deleted User]

Well i said VR mmorpg,as VR is a feature more so than a genre or game.Actually VR by itself is nothing but code so yeah it is a feature when included with a game.

If you are looking for something more generalized and positive for gaming,that would take a cell burning to figure that out,let me think.

@seancad  i have to for once fully agree and happy to see you understand what is going on.I am referring to VR,yes it will take a few years to get a basic standard game/mmorpg but several years to get a fully immersive one.

On the topic of a more specific feature,weather has already been done long ago by Square Enix in FFXi,including as well moon phases,other games are slowly catching up to aged ideas.

So thinking of something NEW,most ideas are already there,we just need them to improve.yes Westerns are obvious with one being advertised here a few weeks ago and Rockstar has one as well as Red Dead Redemption series.However again you said feature not genres.

So my hunch on features is cards.Cards are already been implemented as devs see it s a s away to further monetize their games.Weather it is positive or not depends on implementation of course.S owe will see cards being used for quests,battles,crafting,movement,mounts etc etc.After cards have run their course it will likely more to do with sky/air as we have had so much happening on ground,we will see more trends towards air/sky combat and housing in the sky etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2017
    Wizardry said:
    Well i said VR mmorpg,as VR is a feature more so than a genre or game.Actually VR by itself is nothing but code so yeah it is a feature when included with a game.

If you are looking for something more generalized and positive for gaming,that would take a cell burning to figure that out,let me think.

@seancad  i have to for once fully agree and happy to see you understand what is going on.I am referring to VR,yes it will take a few years to get a basic standard game/mmorpg but several years to get a fully immersive one.

On the topic of a more specific feature,weather has already been done long ago by Square Enix in FFXi,including as well moon phases,other games are slowly catching up to aged ideas.

So thinking of something NEW,most ideas are already there,we just need them to improve.yes Westerns are obvious with one being advertised here a few weeks ago and Rockstar has one as well as Red Dead Redemption series.However again you said feature not genres.

So my hunch on features is cards.Cards are already been implemented as devs see it s a s away to further monetize their games.Weather it is positive or not depends on implementation of course.S owe will see cards being used for quests,battles,crafting,movement,mounts etc etc.After cards have run their course it will likely more to do with sky/air as we have had so much happening on ground,we will see more trends towards air/sky combat and housing in the sky etc etc.
    no I dont mean weather that is immersive.
    I mean weather that floods your base. Tornadoes that completely destroy your base.
    weather that you have to plan a rescue mission for. I mean weather being a central part of the game play.

and I dont know or care enough about cards to make any reply on that point. so fair enough..cards :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Elidien said:
    I think it will be "how does VR do?". Right now, VR gaming reminds me of the discussion around 3D tv. 3D tv while interesting and kinda cool in some ways, never "tipped" and went big.

I am curious what will happen with the technology behind VR. Will it be big and therefore appeal to the consumer? If so, how will the price change?

3D TVs problem really is that it has too little effect so it isn't worth wearing the silly glasses.

VR already failed once (ask Nintendo), the gear is better now but the question is if it is good enough and if enouygh good games release to get people to get it.

But I agree, VR is a future trend that we will see more of, but I ain't sure current versions are good enough so I don't think we will see it take off until 2022 when prices go down, hardware becomes better and we get more games.

My next guess for trend is Superheroes. We have enough fantasy and WW2 games right now but super hero movies are hot at the moment, especially super hero team. So I expect many Justice League, X-Men, Avengers and similar IPs to show up. Console players already got plenty of Batman and Spiderman games but I think we will see an increase in single super heroes as well but the main focus will probably be teams.

Future trends are hard to guess but you get clues if you see what type of movies the go best.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    edited July 2017
    Loke666 said:
    Elidien said:

VR already failed once (ask Nintendo),...
    everytime I read something like that I want to scream and for me it makes pretty much every single thing they say after null and  void.

There is a HUGE difference between VR of 1993 and today and not knowing that makes one woefully ignorant on this subject

its like comparing communicating between two cans and a string and that of cell phone technology
    KyleranGdemami

Well there is only one way to that and that is with voxels or similar to voxel ideas.That means blocky type games,similar to Minecraft and to me that is a step backwards,so several negatives to attain one positive.

I actually posted a video a few months ago on some studio that was attempting to do exactly as you ask .I doubt i could find it again,i might have it saved somewhere idk.
    Here is the problem as that studio clearly laid out it's drawbacks.To create a live active/dynamic world they needed to incorporate tons of cloud servers at very high cost.That was only a demonstration so imagine trying to do it large scale in a mmorpg, it would be extremely costly.

Knowing what i know about game design,flooding a base would be very bandwidth heavy unless of course going the low end graphics route which i don't approve of.I like to see architecture,not blocks,curves not straight lines.Is it possible to have a truly dynamic world unlike the false advertising of GW2,not yet ,we are still too many years away from that.I figure it will be possible around the year 2025+,so possibly after i have departed.All we have for now is phasing and nodes,that is not even remotely good enough to claim dynamic.

However yes the idea of dynamic worlds would be amazing,heck i would probably play even a bad game just for the visuals and interaction but sadly i do not see it as being viable in the  near future.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Live actors as NPC's and Bosses in MMO's should be the next big thing. It probably wont though because the amount of money it would cost to hire live actors/gm's 24 hours a day across a multitude of servers. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

SEANMCAD said:
    Loke666 said:

everytime I read something like that I want to scream and for me it makes pretty much every single thing they say after null and  void.

There is a HUGE difference between VR of 1993 and today and not knowing that makes one woefully ignorant on this subject

its like comparing communicating between two cans and a string and that of cell phone technology
    Yes, and I already said that in the post, it was not ready in the 90s and I ain't 100% certain it is ready now either even if it is far better. That is why I think it wont really take off until 5 years from now.

Please read the entire post before calling me "ignorant".
    Kyleranwaynejr2
    Wizardry said:
    Well there is only one way to that and that is with voxels or similar to voxel ideas.That means blocky type games,similar to Minecraft and to me that is a step backwards,so several negatives to attain one positive.

I actually posted a video a few months ago on some studio that was attempting to do exactly as you ask .I doubt i could find it again,i might have it saved somewhere idk.
    Here is the problem as that studio clearly laid out it's drawbacks.To create a live active/dynamic world they needed to incorporate tons of cloud servers at very high cost.That was only a demonstration so imagine trying to do it large scale in a mmorpg, it would be extremely costly.

Knowing what i know about game design,flooding a base would be very bandwidth heavy unless of course going the low end graphics route which i don't approve of.I like to see architecture,not blocks,curves not straight lines.Is it possible to have a truly dynamic world unlike the false advertising of GW2,not yet ,we are still too many years away from that.I figure it will be possible around the year 2025+,so possibly after i have departed.All we have for now is phasing and nodes,that is not even remotely good enough to claim dynamic.

However yes the idea of dynamic worlds would be amazing,heck i would probably play even a bad game just for the visuals and interaction but sadly i do not see it as being viable in the  near future.

ok i had to read into that about a paragraph before I knew who you were replying to and on which sub-topic you were referring to.

anyway..Arma has a mod that is intense weather in which the cities flood, its sweet as shit...love it!

anyway. I am not worried about the technical. if you told someone 4 years ago that there would be multiple games in which you could fly and land on multiple planets which the planets were fully destructible and and you can build anywhere and you can walk around in your space ship AND the graphics were very good and the planets very large people would have called us crazy.

but now there is at least 2 games I can think of like that (and more in the making)

Gdemami

Loke666 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Loke666 said:

Yes, and I already said that in the post, it was not ready in the 90s and I ain't 100% certain it is ready now either even if it is far better. That is why I think it wont really take off until 5 years from now.

Please read the entire post before calling me "ignorant".
    anyone who says what you said (and I will quote below) of which its full meaning is very clear has zero standing with me on this subject but my rant is over. please do not pretend to think I do not understand the full meaning of what you said in the quote below

'VR already failed once (ask Nintendo),.'
    Kyleran

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Wizardry said:

"Dynamic world" is a buzzword. GW2 is more dynamic then Wow but clearly far from how dynamic a MMO could be. But as you say, it takes a lot of resources so it is something we might see more in singleplayer games.

You don't need voxels, Dx12 support for instance that it start to snow and everything become white but we are still talking loads of resources for it. In MMOs it is more likely they will cheat, making a MMO with seasons is far less job if you change the seasons during downtime and have 4 different versions of the majority of the zones, that I could see happening already.
    sedatedkarma