Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which android smartphone for gaming?

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
I got offered free service for a smart phone if I provide the phone itself.  So, what android smartphone do you all recommend buying?  I want one with a standard aspect ratio, 5" or larger, plenty of storage, long-lasting battery, no weird 3rd party software, and no overheating problems.
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I'm an Apple guy, but here's what my Google-Fu came up with:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/best-phone-gamers
    waynejr2Po_gg
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    If you get the Galaxy S8, go with a Gear VR; it's a no brainer, and I highly recommend it.
    Kyleranwaynejr2MrMelGibson

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited July 2017
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x: 4x 2.0 Snapdragon cpu, newest Adreno GPU, 4100mA Battery, 5,5 Zoll, 32 or 64 GB Storage+up to 128gb micoflash, Dualsim, 4G+LTE, Fingerprint on back, 13MP and 5MP camera- fluent with every game.
    150-165 USD. All you ever wanted. You can thank me later.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Just a +1 to Ridelynn's link, while I don't play on phones (hail PC master race, and all :wink: ) the buddies I mentioned once before, in related how mobile MMOs are on the rise - they all play on S8.
    Can't say that it's because of Samsung's good marketing, or the hardware really is that good, but they are pretty happy with it, and they used to even raid with that thing, as silly as it sounds :smiley:
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Could try the Oneplus 3 . I have not tried gaming on it but here

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    How can anyone game on a phone, the screen is way too small?  I do a little gaming on the ipad if I want something mobile, but nary a game on the phone.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Ozmodan said:
    How can anyone game on a phone, the screen is way too small?  I do a little gaming on the ipad if I want something mobile, but nary a game on the phone.

It's a lot like playing on a gameboy or other handheld always has been - some games deal a lot better with the small screen size than others.  I wouldn't try to play an MMO on it, but for a pokemon-type game or a word game or a sudoku I have no problem as long as I'm wearing my reading glasses.

Anyway I ordered my phone. ^_^  I looked at the galaxy S8+, the pixel XL, the One Plus 5, and the Huewei line, but I ended up choosing an HTC U11.  From the same hardware company as the Pixel, but not google-specific, and possibly the shiniest current-gen phone:

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    edited July 2017
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:

It's a lot like playing on a gameboy or other handheld always has been - some games deal a lot better with the small screen size than others.  I wouldn't try to play an MMO on it, but for a pokemon-type game or a word game or a sudoku I have no problem as long as I'm wearing my reading glasses.

Anyway I ordered my phone. ^_^  I looked at the galaxy S8+, the pixel XL, the One Plus 5, and the Huewei line, but I ended up choosing an HTC U11.  From the same hardware company as the Pixel, but not google-specific, and possibly the shiniest current-gen phone:

Nice choice. My coworker uses a PS3 controller to play games on the plane and in the hotel when we travel. There are also some nice blue-tooth wireless controllers built just for mobile you can use too. He mostly plays games like Final Fantasy series and other controller friendly titles.
    Just can't imagine someone hauling around a controller to play games on their phone, but what ever floats your boat.  Personally, if I am traveling I take along an ipad.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I've read alot of good reviews for OnePlus phones, Equal to a samsung but alot cheaper.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've beat the snot out of iPads traveling before, haven't had one break yet (knock on wood). I'd hardly call them fragile, especially with the right cover on them.

They are bigger than a controller, but they are also paper-sized and shaped, so they lay flat in a backpack/briefcase/laptop case. Sure you can't put it in your pocket, but then again, you couldn't do that with a controller either.

I can easily think of carrying around my iPad. I don't think I could, as easily, carry around my DS4 controller.

That, and I'll admit, I have a bit of a gamer stigma - I'd get stares if I were sitting on a plane with a controller in hand. No one would look twice if I have an iPad out, and I could be playing the same game in both cases.
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Torval said:
    Ozmodan said:

Nice choice. My coworker uses a PS3 controller to play games on the plane and in the hotel when we travel. There are also some nice blue-tooth wireless controllers built just for mobile you can use too. He mostly plays games like Final Fantasy series and other controller friendly titles.
    Just can't imagine someone hauling around a controller to play games on their phone, but what ever floats your boat.  Personally, if I am traveling I take along an ipad.

You can't imagine hauling around a small cheap durable plastic controller that easily fits into carryon but you can imagine carrying around a 10" fragile tablet. We travel as light as possible. We're already carrying a laptop for work. So carrying around a tablet just for gaming when the phone suffices and does everything else the big bulky tablet does just doesn't make sense for us.

But like you said, whatever floats yer boat.
    Sorry but if I saw someone playing a game with a controller on a phone, the urge to mock would be great.  Funny, the kids have broken I don't know how many phones, but your so called fragile tablets just keeps on ticking.  I think you got your fragile association backwards!