Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stormblood Review - Heed the Call to Arms - Final Fantasy XIV Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    "Engaging combat"......really? by whose definition? Certainly not compared to many much better combat systems. In fact it's widely noted as one of the games weaknesses.....phrases like this are why people assume it's a paid review. Be honest, and cut the marketing BS.
    We.
    Mark.
    Sponsored.
    Content.
    ALWAYS.

This is one guy's opinion. If yours is different, say why. 
    are you sure we can say why ?? so many buthurt fanboy there...
    Be reasonable. Engage in a conversation, not slinging "butthurt fanboy" at people who think differently, why not? 
    MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I agree with this review's score. I've played the new expansion since the admittedly rocky early release. I've really enjoyed it so far. The story is great. The long que times for DPS resulted in me leveling up a White Mage rather than my Dragoon. I'll admit that when I first started playing FFXIV, the 2.5 second global cool downs seemed long. Now that I am in Stormblood content, they seem normal. There are plenty of off global cool down abilities to mix in and there's so much movement on most fights that I never find myself wishing the globals were faster. I'm really glad I walked away from WoW at the Legion expansion. This game is where it's at right now. The boss fights are challenging, not face roll and raiding in this game just feels harder/more serious. All of this is my opinion =)
    Buschkatze
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I will say a 9 is pretty high seeing as its almost exactly like HW so far. And if you remember how many people tappered off by around 4.2 and reviews started to rate lower....just saying. The "new" content is "nice" because its something new, but it doesn't make it actually good since its already suffering from the same issues as before like awkward itemization and the push for vanity with a lackluster glamour system.
    Buschkatze
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SBFord said:
    "Engaging combat"......really? by whose definition? Certainly not compared to many much better combat systems. In fact it's widely noted as one of the games weaknesses.....phrases like this are why people assume it's a paid review. Be honest, and cut the marketing BS.
    We.
    Mark.
    Sponsored.
    Content.
    ALWAYS.

Sometimes I really feel bad for you guys/ladies at this site.  A few years back I was a Big Brother in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.  The majority of the kids I dealt with were unhinged or neglected so they always acted out.  I'm getting deja vu feelings in this thread.  Wish I could send you guys a beer or something lol.
    KalebGrayson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

SBFord said:

The final score is much too high. A high 7.X or 8.X would be much more realistic. Or was this article sponsored by SQE?

Stop with idle speculation. Every review is one person's opinion. If it was a sponsored piece, which it is NOT, it would say so.

If you have a different opinion on Stormblood, enlighten us rather than cast aspersions.

yeah but if the guys or girl give such a crazy high scores,
    it mean it either the BEST MMORPG EVER MAKE, or a drunk fanboy who a bit hyped about his games.

for exemple i have buy this releases and droped the game after one week, the terrible battlesystem still the same, slow cd, plastic movement feeling and just a boring world who dont feel alive.

so if you droped the game before, they are a good chance you will drop it again !! it not changed that much !!

i would give it a 7 still because it a good games, but 9.1 the highest i have see ?? what kind of drugs this rewiewer take ??
    got a warning for writing this ?? are you fucking kidding me mmorpg.com???
    i have write nothing realy totaly offensive who deserve a ban there.

seriously to the guys who give me this : you are a fucking pathetic fanboy

be fair with everyone, stuft like i have write are write everywhere in this website and are accepted.

if you want change your title name to my : opinion of final fantasy 14 stormblood, not a review
    because review you need to be objective not a hardcore fanboy.
    omg, where do we begin?

You probably got a warning for the "what drugs is the reviewer taking". Most likely it was just a colloquialism to you and you weren't actually accusing the reviewer for taking drugs and making bad decisions. You shouldn't have been banned for that.

Having said that ...

This is you:
    "you are a fucking pathetic fanboy" - nice job stay classy

"i have write are write everywhere in this website and are accepted." - the web is a big place maybe where you frequent pays no mind to how you speak to other people, a bit of a generalization. I'm of the mind that you should know what house you are in and behave accordingly. Apparently some people can't see beyond their noses and it's all about them.

"if you want change your title name to my : opinion of final fantasy 14 stormblood, not a review
    because review you need to be objective not a hardcore fanboy."

That is what a review is, an opinion, hopefully having some basis in fact, but an opinion. I can point to highly rated movies on Rotten tomatoes that my friends think are total garbage. But believe it or not people actually love these movies.

This doesn't demean those who love/hate those movies, it's just an opinion. You as the viewer need to make your own decisions.

If you really want to make your opinion heard then "make your opinion heard" by clearly stating your point of view. You say a review needs to be objective but you really aren't are you?"

You comport yourself exactly like this "fanboy term" you seem to be concerned with. You are just the opposite side of that coin.

So be part of the discussion, don't just let your ID do the talking.

MrMelGibson[Deleted User][Deleted User]SBFord
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I mean it is the best Final Fantasy to date, even with its flaws 2.x era included. When you find shu and his father's theme song plays in the back ground as he turns to you, Oooooooo that was first time a game made me fall out of my chair backwards.

I don't see the seven remake competing.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited June 2017
    im enjoying the game a lot , after months of no subbing even , the new zones are huge , new jobs are interesting (im a bit dissapointed with rdm , but is still fun to play ) , swimming and diving! , the new dungeons are cool , new mechanics , the rebalance of jobs was well done (some jobs need love but still ) , the new PVP system was a good idea , the music is 10/10 , graphics still impressive some zones are :O , the MSQ was amazing , interesting and with some twists cant wait to see what happen on the next rounds of MSQ!!! , Omega is coming soon , and then Ivalice ! , plus new palace of death , new trials and new dungeons , and probably some surprises (maybe blitzball?)

on the negative :smile:
    one thing to say is that non-hardcore need something to do , once u have all your 310 gear u can try to tackle some Extremes , level an alt and thats it atm , hunts but hunts sucked ,suck and will suck in the future :(
    Buschkatze
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    SBFord said:
    We.
    Mark.
    Sponsored.
    Content.
    ALWAYS.

*I* know that, but the tinfoil hat crowd is strong around these parts.  I just wanted to point out a sample of what would lead people to believe that.  Any time there's perceived fluffing over obvious flaws it doesn't do much for credibility.
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Shame it's asian themed. Instant no-go to me.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    TBH I had given FFXIV multiple chances before, and could never get into it. Decided to give it a final shot with Stormblood, and I've honestly been having a great time. I can see why the reviewer gave it such a high score. Also, everyone I know that loves this game already, says this expansion is what they've been waiting for, and love the game even more now.

It's fine if you don't agree with it, but let it motivate you to write your own detailed review. Also, the PvP combat is awesome now. At least for my class.. the Ninja!
    MrMelGibson
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Weird to me that reviews are still done for MMOs so soon after a release/launch. The first couple weeks of a new release are almost *always* going to feel new and fresh.

The trick is, how long can they *maintain* that feeling? For most modern MMOs, FFXIV included (even 'especially' given its previous expansion cycle), the answer is "not very long at all".

Xatsh said:

I am not one to praise everything FFXIV. The core flaws the game has will remain as long as it is a pure linear/throw away content/ non-guild focused mmo. Many of same flaws WoW has basically.

But honestly in comparison with what is on the market 9 or around that is what the expansion deserves. FFXIV:SB is simply one of the best mmos on the market without question atm.

Frankly, saying it's a 9 compared to what's on the market isn't exactly flattering.

A game should be rated based on its own merits. Not based on "how is it compared to other stuff on the market".

In that context... on FFXIV's own merit.. how would you rate SB?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

SBFord said:

The final score is much too high. A high 7.X or 8.X would be much more realistic. Or was this article sponsored by SQE?

Stop with idle speculation. Every review is one person's opinion. If it was a sponsored piece, which it is NOT, it would say so.

If you have a different opinion on Stormblood, enlighten us rather than cast aspersions.

Everything was already said. High 7.X or low 8.X is a much more realistic score for a GOOD mmorpg. Everything above 9.0 must be awesome, outstanding and ground shaking.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Games do not need to be ground breaking (MMO or not) to be good. This is aside from Stormblood (which I'd give around an 8.5-8.7 and am really enjoying) as it doesn't have to do something new for the genre to deliver a polished enjoyable experience. For the most part I agree with this review, and you are definitely entitled to your opinion; however, I believe it to be flawed.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited July 2017

CrazKanuk said:

The final score is much too high. A high 7.X or low 8.X would be much more realistic. Or was this article sponsored by SQE?

Just FYI, Metacritic has like 8 reviews by critics (on both PC and PS4) and only 1/8 is below a score of 9. Furthermore, the PS4 version is sitting at 9.1 for User Scores. For PC it's sitting at like 8.2 because, well, PC-race is less master than it used to be. Just look at the comments, lol. One guy gives it a 2 because of server issues (not game related). One guy gave it a 1 because it was "the same formula" as the previous expansion...... wellllllllll, it is an EXPANSION!!!! Finally, one guy gives it a 0 because "The game is designed to keep you out of expansion, unless you pay them extra".......... ZOMG! Did that actually happen?

PC Master Race clearly needs to hope Darwin takes some of it's users back to.... wherever PC Master Race goes when they die. 

You sound like nothing but a hater, was all that really necessary?

And only a console guy would say server issues with an MMO are not game related....rofl.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Viper482 said:

CrazKanuk said:

The final score is much too high. A high 7.X or low 8.X would be much more realistic. Or was this article sponsored by SQE?

Just FYI, Metacritic has like 8 reviews by critics (on both PC and PS4) and only 1/8 is below a score of 9. Furthermore, the PS4 version is sitting at 9.1 for User Scores. For PC it's sitting at like 8.2 because, well, PC-race is less master than it used to be. Just look at the comments, lol. One guy gives it a 2 because of server issues (not game related). One guy gave it a 1 because it was "the same formula" as the previous expansion...... wellllllllll, it is an EXPANSION!!!! Finally, one guy gives it a 0 because "The game is designed to keep you out of expansion, unless you pay them extra".......... ZOMG! Did that actually happen?

PC Master Race clearly needs to hope Darwin takes some of it's users back to.... wherever PC Master Race goes when they die. 

You sound like nothing but a hater, was all that really necessary?

And only a console guy would say server issues with an MMO are not game related....rofl.

Sorry, you must have taken my post literally. The intent was to point out that the entirety of the game should not be graded based on server performance at launch. Thanks for proving my point though. Hey, has everyone heard that trimming your hedges with lawn mowers is more efficient? Give it a shot! 

There! Hopefully I did my part :) Have a great weekend.
    MrMelGibsonViper482

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165

SBFord said:

Everything was already said. High 7.X or low 8.X is a much more realistic score for a GOOD mmorpg. Everything above 9.0 must be awesome, outstanding and ground shaking.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but this is an expansion, not a brand new game. An expansion isn't going to drastically alter the core game mechanics into a completely different system. Within the scale of expansions, this is a definitive 9.0 or 10.0 out of ten.
    MrMelGibsonwingood
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Watched videos off diff dps classes, liked ninja the most imo sam feels/seems slow.

Soo bought ninja job, man I love it. All those ninjutsu combos, need to find my rotation and remember all the diff combos you can make with chi ten and jin! chi +ten gives another skill than for example ten+chi+jin!
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• okomuschokomusch Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Since when did a review become opinion based? a review should be as objective as possible, by stating the facts and bringing up comparisons. your can state your opinion AFTER the review and your opinion should NOT affect the score at any point!!

so i think you should change the title to an opinion or experienced based title, since this is not a review!!

by the way... the pro and cons list is a freaking joke...
    DragnelusManAteArmseddieg50BuschkatzeYashaX
  • ManAteArmsManAteArms Member UncommonPosts: 12

okomusch said:

Since when did a review become opinion based? a review should be as objective as possible, by stating the facts and bringing up comparisons. your can state your opinion AFTER the review and your opinion should NOT affect the score at any point!!

so i think you should change the title to an opinion or experienced based title, since this is not a review!!

by the way... the pro and cons list is a freaking joke...

You are right. A good review must be objective, or objectively as possible.
    eddieg50BuschkatzeYashaX
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited July 2017
    My lvl 61 NINJA!

[Deleted User]BuschkatzeMrMelGibsonwingood

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I guess IGN got paid more $ since they scored it even higher ;) http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/30/final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood-review
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    After they gave FF15 also an ultra high score wich it didnt deserve, i stopped reading everything they post about any review. MMORpg, cant be taken serious anymore. They are on lifesupport since the era of MMOs have died- they are prosituting every inch of their body for money.
    [Deleted User]KalebGraysonManAteArmsBuschkatzeYashaXwingood
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The amount of whining in this thread is pathetic. 'My opinion is worth more then your opinion bullsh*t.' At least the reviewer wrote a couple of solid paragraphs to support his opinion, half of the comments are just some emotional, verbal diarreah. You don't have to agree, that does not mean the other person is wrong, grow up ffs....

Thanks for the review, was an instant buy for me anyway. I think the score is well deserved.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

ManAteArmsMrMelGibsonKoriantwingood[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited July 2017
    I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over reviews. The only time I really had an issue with a review here was when Bill Murphy did one for DCUO (it was very positive) and failed to disclose that he was friends with the community manager or whatever he was at soe (RadarX?). Unless they omit pertinent info like that, then I always just treat it as one person's opinion. I haven't played Stormblood but I've heard nothing but good things about it and can understand why fans of FF14 love it.

Oh, and there was the absurd amount of fanboy/white knighting they did with Mass Effect Andromeda. No real problem with the positive review itself( it did come across as written by a total fanboy, though) just the backhanded insults that were made against people who didn't like the game. Andromeda had real issues when it was released (esp. with the graphics) but the entire mmorp.com staff just hand waved it away as haters being haters. I've never seen them so defensive about a game before. It was so weird to see.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Fact:
    Long ass GCD! Not enough abilities to weave in for a fluid rotation. Combat definitely needs improvement. Sitting around with a pickle up my ass waiting for my next ability to queue is far from the thing of the past.
    MrMelGibsonRemyVorender[Deleted User]
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!