Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You ever asked yourself "what's the point?"?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Hariken said:
    What works for me now is not to take mmo's seriously anymore. No rush to lvl up and only do solo content. No mmo today is worth getting in to deep with. As an older gamer i feel like i've been playing the same game since 99/2000. he genre just hasn't really changed all that much.
    That's the thing, I only play for my own amusement now and on my terms.
    KyleranOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Iselin said:
    Does there need to be a point?
    Trick question.
    Kyleran
  • Dead_GuyDead_Guy Member UncommonPosts: 42
    You guys should become game developers, since the primary requisite seems to be not knowing what the point of a video game is.
    [Deleted User]furion1025starstorm777
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Dead_Guy said:
    You guys should become game developers, since the primary requisite seems to be not knowing what the point of a video game is.
    So it isn't fun like mentioned several times above?

Ohh do enlighten us with your wisdom then. It is easy to scoff at others while not giving any answer yourself.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Hey folks,

I wanted to share this thought that's been bugging me for a while.

I've made similar posts before, but let's look at it from a different angle.

You ever thought "what's the point?" when playing your fav mmorpg?

Is it mmo burnout? Is it gaming burnout in general? How do you deal with such thoughts?

I personally am stuck in a vicious circle (been in it for a while) where you just circle through games, never finding that one "home". I do have other hobbies, yeah, but hell, I want to kick back and relax once in a while and play my fav game, raid, gather, craft and such.

Sharing is caring!

If people don't know why they are doing whatever hobby they are doing, something seems wrong about that.
    furion1025
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I spend all day working, doing things to which there is a point. I play video games in the evening to enjoy doing something that has no point other than my amusement and relaxation. 
    waynejr2furion1025ManWithNoTan

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited June 2017
    Yes I have and its why I stopped playing Black Desert besides the Anti-Cheat, what is the point of doing everything over and over again having a time limit to doing it.

So far I am liking games more like "Secret World Legends" LOL, DOTA 2, SMITE, Maybe FFXIV I don't know im just trying the game once more to see if I can stand it or not.

League OF Legends, is much better now that they have no tribunal that bans you for the little things of people reporting you for stuff all the time and ignorant kids yes you run into them, but as long as you /mute all, and don't type anything toxic, you don't get banned with the new system.

But I have hopes for other games like "Crow Fall" & "Ashes OF Creation" im going to be throwing at least $25 more into the pot on the Ashes OF Creation site once they merge my $500 kickstarter pledge Might pledge another $500 not sure yet, I could pledge $2000, because I would love to meet the developers at their studio, but don't think that is possible IRL, and heck if id win this lottery cuz I have purchased 22 tickets id back it for their max backer pledge but who knows.
    furion1025
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    To ask whats the point of playing MMO's, one must ask themselves what is the point of masterbation.......

furion1025Steelhelm
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    When I find myself asking "What's the point?" That's usually when I'm becoming disillusioned with a game after having burned through my initial enthusiasm in a week or three.  Or when I'm trying to find a new game but there aren't any offering what I'm looking for.
    furion1025
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I always need some type of object to the game or a goal that keeps me playing..>Even so, we all reach that point in any given game.
    furion1025
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    edited June 2017
    It's the same as  watching a movie or go to a concert, It's entertainment, simple as that, so no, I never ask myself what's the point with it.
    furion1025
  • Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    To answer the original question, no. The point to playing a MMO is to have fun and interact with other players from all over the world. That's why I play and always has been.

Sadly many games are cutting out most of the player interactions. A shared world single player experience is what many recent MMO games are.  Thanks but no thanks. If I want single player I'll do it in an unshared world like Skyrim where I don't have to wait for another Alduin to spawn after some other dragonborn kills him.

All of my best memories from games in the past involve things I've done with other players for the fun of it. Without that I'm better off playing a single player game. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Does there need to be a point?
    Trick question.
    No. Not really. For things that are not life or death, it's usually better not to dissect them or navel-gaze yourself into an existential crisis.
    Phaserlightfurion1025Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    The point? Just like any other entertainment .. have some fun, relax and waste a bit of time.

Isn't that the same point watching a movie, playing a FPS, or reading a novel?
    ManWithNoTan
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Hey folks,

I wanted to share this thought that's been bugging me for a while.

I've made similar posts before, but let's look at it from a different angle.

You ever thought "what's the point?" when playing your fav mmorpg?

Is it mmo burnout? Is it gaming burnout in general? How do you deal with such thoughts?

I personally am stuck in a vicious circle (been in it for a while) where you just circle through games, never finding that one "home". I do have other hobbies, yeah, but hell, I want to kick back and relax once in a while and play my fav game, raid, gather, craft and such.

Sharing is caring!
    Generally any time I play a WoW style MMO yes. I definitely would sometimes think "So the point of the game is gear. I get the best gear and then they bump the level cap a few months later and all my work was for nothing. Fun?" That's why I don't play WoW style MMOs for the most part. 
    furion1025
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited July 2017
    waynejr2 said:

If people don't know why they are doing whatever hobby they are doing, something seems wrong about that.
    MMOs are not something you quickly stumble over so you are probably right. Why do I watch this on my TV? can be put down to accident but something that is very time consuming is another matter.

I say the answer to "Why do I play MMOs?" should either be "-because it is fun" or "-Because I am an addict". Same reasons people go out drinking on a friday.
    furion1025
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Loke666 said:
    waynejr2 said:

MMOs are not something you quickly stumble over so you are probably right. Why do I watch this on my TV? can be put down to accident but something that is very time consuming is another matter.

I say the answer to "Why do I play MMOs?" should either be "-because it is fun" or "-Because I am an addict". Same reasons people go out drinking on a friday.
    I dont think the vast majority of Golfers could explain why they golf, or fishers, or hunters, or cyclists, so I dont think one has to explain why they do a hobby really. yes its possible to explain why but I think most hobbists of all hobbys put much thought into it
    furion1025

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    This kind of thinking shouldn't be happening is shows just how lousy and stagnant the mmorpg part of gaming has become.

I'ts <CURRENT YEAR!!> and mmos still push the same tired and played out style of game play. WoW is still arguably the number 1 mmo.

At this point with all the technology and innovation in this industry we shouldn't be still at the point where an almost 14 year old MMO is still number one.

We all have our ideal idea of the perfect MMO and it's sad that we still haven't seen anything close.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kootur said:
    This kind of thinking shouldn't be happening is shows just how lousy and stagnant the mmorpg part of gaming has become.

I'ts <CURRENT YEAR!!> and mmos still push the same tired and played out style of game play. WoW is still arguably the number 1 mmo.

At this point with all the technology and innovation in this industry we shouldn't be still at the point where an almost 14 year old MMO is still number one.

We all have our ideal idea of the perfect MMO and it's sad that we still haven't seen anything close.
    Dual Universe and Life is Fuedal are the only two games that describe themselves technically as an  MMOs that I would be interested in. But in the example of Dual Universe its almost an exact copy of already existing space building games that have multiplayer

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kootur said:

Dual Universe and Life is Fuedal are the only two games that describe themselves technically as an  MMOs that I would be interested in. But in the example of Dual Universe its almost an exact copy of already existing space building games that have multiplayer
    LiF is one of the more solid titles out there. It's lower on my list but it's on my list. I hope to see it do well. It certainly has a lot of potential in terms of immersion and roleplay. Just wish they had gone with a soft skillcap model as opposed to a hard cap. That's one of the things keeping it below Star Citizen and Crowfall for me.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    my point is often social interaction from my safezone at home. I prefer living in a fantasy world instead of the harsh reality. Im a grown manchild, call me peter pan.
    furion1025ManWithNoTan
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    What's the point of playing my favourite MMO?
    Call me whatever you wish - it's mostly escapism.  My Big Hero with 2 Big Axes rushing to the battle, making powerfull AoE attacks, stomping those low lvl. monsters to the ground and saving lowbie player. My almight crafter making armour/weapon for other player. Me being needed by others, helping openly ("anybody needs help with questing?") or secretly. Even engaging in light trolling (non hurting others though).

I enjoy some landscapes - there used to be moments when I would ride to Lotro's Evendim and harvest (un-needed) ore. Just to enjoy surroundings. Or looked at Aurora borealis in Forochel. Or enjoyed riding in green fields of Rohan.

I enjoy when I have meaningfull stuff to do. Lotro an example: rebuild Hytbold, just because I see fruits of my work. Craft and craft untill I reach top level. Run quests to reach reputation or just enjoying content (once again Lotro: Grima's line and my eternal wish to kill that...creature).  Even grinding (kill 100 grulets to get 5 game points) is not bad if there are enough grulets and they are killable.

In short - enjoying being busy with meaningfull content, be it grind or whatever.
    furion1025ManWithNoTan
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2017
    I've done this a lot and it's usually when I stop playing an MMO. Single player games usually have a clear end. Even massive games like Skyrim eventually get to the point where you've done everything. Sure, you can keep playing but you know you've finished it really.

MMOs have this everlasting thing and I always start to think about where this is leading to, what about all the other things I'm missing and is it worth it? I always decide that playing a single game seemly forever is a terrible gaming experience. Another 200 hours on this means I'm missing between something like 5-20 other games that have proper endings.

Currently no MMO is releasing enough content fast enough for that MMO to always be your main game. That's when you know it's time to leave; when you are getting really excited for the next slither of content being added. That's when you've hit rock bottom.
    furion1025
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Robokapp said:
    my point is often social interaction from my safezone at home. I prefer living in a fantasy world instead of the harsh reality. Im a grown manchild, call me peter pan.

lol, are you saying im dead on the inside? j/k i get it.. dont know if it ruined it for me, it was really a pretty sad story to begin with, like most disney stories are.. scary and horrible at the same time beauty and kidfriendly.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The irony to me is I play a game, I like it and play for awhile, then eventually get burned out from the game, wind up taking a break and asking the very question presented by the OP.  Like many others I imagine, I come back to the same game or get hooked on another one.
    furion1025