Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*RANT* I am now simply clicking through the story...

13»

Comments

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2018
    Quote:  "Japanese Developers look to their competition and always learn from them by incorporating elements that appeals to the culture and attitude of that geographic region."

Since when?

Japanese developers have always developed for Japanese audiences and then given us the product because there is a market segment of people who are very interested in Japanese Art and Game Design.  This is why FF became popular here.  They didn't change up the way they developed RPG games for the North American Market...  They gave us that product and people ate it up.

I don't see why they would change it for their MMORPGs.

Korea does the same thing.  The changes they make for the games they release here are almost always superficial.  The core gameplay is always pretty much identical to what they release in Korea.

Japanese developers are no different.  Whenever American players complain about certain things, they do nothing but make excuses for it...  Or simply tell you that's the way it is - take it or leave it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I remember when I leveled a new character on a new realm. Hitting the end of ARR and into the quests in between ARR and HW, took about a weekend to burn through. Probably could have done it faster, but I watched most of the cut scenes.
  • emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    ARR gave me hope, I played the entire game.  I was thrilled with the visuals and multiclassing just like FFXI.  The problem there was no penalty or true specializations.  My main class was a dragoon.  But at end game, I had basically a 4 keystroke combo with a stun alternative on some fights.  The positional system where my dragoon was suppose to spear through a correctly aligned set of mobs never came to pass.  Has any of this been fixed?
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    It's such a well made game but every time I try to come back to it all I can get to is the chicken mounts and think... 'No. Just...no.'
    [Deleted User]
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2018
    I tried it.  The story is not that interesting.  WoW's was more interesting, especially the OG WoW zones like the Plaguelands.  I remember playing through those zones, and they were legitimately interesting to the point that I stayed and finished the quests even after I had outleveled the zone.

I remember reading the quests in OG WoW, BC, WoTLK, Cataclysm, Warlords of Draenor, and Legion (I skipped Pandaria).  FFXIV's story content simply did not draw me in.

I am not just biased to certain lore, either.  The Lore in ESO was legitimately interesting and I bought the game specifically to play through it - even though I quit immediately after I finished the main story quest in it.  Diablo III's story was quite interesting - almost like reading a history book :-)  I had no issues reading the quests in EQ2, and there are more of them than in FFXIV.  GW2's story was very interesting - I played it similarly to the way I played ESO (barely logged in after finishing it).

There is something about how they integrate the story into the game that puts me off.  There are too many fetch quests and "run 1,000 miles" quests that serve almost no purpose.  TOo much stuff is locked behind quests, which make you leave the zone you're questing in to go ALL THE WAY BACK to the city to do class quests just so you can get access to the new spell you want.

It doesn't help that the UI is awful, and feels like a Windows 95 Application with all of those menus and windows, either.

The best thing about this game is that you can level all classes on the same toon - but when you actually experience the leveling process, and how boring it is...  You actually stop caring about the conveniences the game has (it's true innovations).

I still like the game, in theory.  I just can't play it.

I was clicking through the story without reading anything by level 5.

Nothing in the game really felt exciting.  It felt slow and throttled, with massive amounts of time sinks and roadblocks.

I felt like I spent half of my playtime running from place to place.