Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Documentary Part #1 - 0 Point 0

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageDocumentary Part #10 Point 0

The good folks at Noclip have created a pretty amazing documentary series about the history of Final Fantasy XIV from its first iteration through today. In Part 1, it takes a look at the very earliest version of FFXIV.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    edited June 2017

OG_Zorvan said:

Does it include Wata's impression of Baghdad Bob as the game burned around him?

I can't fully blame Tanaka as they rushed the game out well before it was ready to beat a WoW expansion to market. I think a lot of blame needs to go to the higher ups who have been tbh doing poorly at best with the FF brand for a while now.

I give him a little bit of cred for at least trying something new with the combat stamina and skill up system...they were better on paper and again likely got rushed way before they got a chance to balance it. They had some good and some bad ideas there but I can't just lay pure blame on him while calling him some sort of hack like people do..while putting Yoshi on a pedestal for basically taking the standard WoW era approach to everything and being treated like a savior.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Really good episode. Very interesting. It's information like this that makes me really invest in a game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    I thought this was a new EVE thread.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Lore stuff! \o/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    zanfire said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Does it include Wata's impression of Baghdad Bob as the game burned around him?

I can't fully blame Tanaka as they rushed the game out well before it was ready to beat a WoW expansion to market. I think a lot of blame needs to go to the higher ups who have been tbh doing poorly at best with the FF brand for a while now.

I give him a little bit of cred for at least trying something new with the combat stamina and skill up system...they were better on paper and again likely got rushed way before they got a chance to balance it. They had some good and some bad ideas there but I can't just lay pure blame on him while calling him some sort of hack like people do..while putting Yoshi on a pedestal for basically taking the standard WoW era approach to everything and being treated like a savior.
    I am pretty sure most by now know how much a FF i am and how closely i followed everything FF.

it was most certainly NOT Tanaka's fault and most certainly the top end CEo/bosses that ruin everything within Square Enix.

Most of us really don't understand the business side of things and how much one person can ruin an entire studio and that one person might just be a big shot share holder who sits behind the scenes.

I have my own opinions on what happened but for certain the high cost of game engines and fails forced Square to try and get something out quick to recover costs.The other factor is from the top,ridiculous changes to what is in essence a FFXI game but made goofy changes to warrant selling a new game rather than just improving FFXI.I do see the reason why,FFXI engine was not going to support much improvements but imo it never needed a whole lot.

IMo the overall big picture was greed and feeling like the FF fanbase were such an easy sell they could do anything,just tag on the FF name and sell it.Long before the game came out,i saw many of those rabid FF fanbois,they figured the game was coming out great but what i saw month before release was a game i would not want to play.

Even way back years into FFXi,i kept hearing about changes influenced by feedback.I have no idea where this talk came from by i never saw any indication of ideas and changes in Square's direction fro many where,i think they just made up all that "feedback Bull"like so many developers do.

None the less i have been disappointed by Square's direction the last 5 or so years,definitely less care for their product and more greed than what used to be and i don't see them changing ever again.However in comparison to OTHER developers,they do a solid job,however i never cared for those other lazy developers ,so topping them imo is an easy task but still not good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Part two is up at no-clip
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Yoshi-P really did an amazing job with FFXIV, of that there is no doubt. It was certainly not an easy task to salvage an MMO like this, but he and him team did it beautifully.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    TL:DR they fucked up and they are still bad and what they do but thanks to the huge fanbase, their abusing the lower quality games their providing since FF9.
    [Deleted User]Annwyn