Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft’s ‘Play Anywhere’ program fails to attract

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsofts-play-anywhere-program-fails-to-attract-big-game-studios/

I have always felt this program was really in the end no big deal either way. By that I mean its unlikely one would buy a game one would othewise not buy primarly because they can play the same game on two devices as the one aspect that swayed them to make that purchase.

Its not a deal breaker choice when it comes to opening up the wallet for me. The game itself is my primary focus and which device it works best on is my secondary choice. However for me specifically I dont like playing any game on a console I am very clumsy with it and have not been intrested in the exclusive titles, so the ability to play what I would normally buy on PC anyway on a console is completely unintresting to me. I know my bias on platform doesnt represent the majority but I can say people who play PC by a huge majority are not sitting around wishing they could play their PC titles on console and the only reason they have a console is because they see a title that is not avaiable to PC. So not sure who they are trying to attract with this progam

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

bartoni33LeFantome

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Honestly, my shield console does a better job at what they were aiming to do there.
    Why didn't they just try to implement streaming your Windows 10 PC library to your console?
    It'd all be local area network activity on that level so latency wouldn't be a hurdle.
    Octagon7711pappacubebartoni33
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Actually sounds like a solid idea on paper,however knowing Microsoft,they couldn't care less about us,it is an idea to corner the market..monopolize the market.Just like their marketplace agenda that Tim Sweeney already scoffed at Microsoft's agenda.
    Microsoft has already been sued on monopolizing grounds and i am sure will be sued again in the future.

Point being,don't trust anything Microsoft does is for us.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wizardry said:
    Actually sounds like a solid idea on paper,however knowing Microsoft,they couldn't care less about us,it is an idea to corner the market..monopolize the market.Just like their marketplace agenda that Tim Sweeney already scoffed at Microsoft's agenda.
    Microsoft has already been sued on monopolizing grounds and i am sure will be sued again in the future.

Point being,don't trust anything Microsoft does is for us.
    I think 'on paper' its a horrid idea for reasons I have explained in my OP

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited June 2017
    As long as Microsoft's games are Play Anywhere that's all I care about. 

I know I will be buying games like Forza 7, Crackdown 3, Sea Of Theives and State of Decay 2 and to be able to make one purchase and get both Console and PC version is awesome. 

Did not even know Shadow Of Mordor and Resident Evil were Play Anywhere. 
    maskedweasel
    edited June 2017
    Recore said:

I know I will be buying games like Forza 7, Crackdown 3, Sea Of Theives and State of Decay 2 and to be able to make one purchase and get both Console and PC version is awesome. 

I think my view on this subject, is in the majority of gamers and I think its why its not doing well. I think MMORPG posters do not represent the majority of gamers

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

I think my view on this subject, is in the majority of gamers and I think its why its not doing well.

It is doing well for gamers that it is made for. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232657&highlight=play+anywhere

People that game on PC and Xbox get both versions of Microsofts games with just one purchase. You have to talk to those gamers and ask them how they feel about Play Anywhere. 

As I said before I will be buying all of Microsoft's games and I own Xbox and PC so for me this is awesome. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    So let me get this straight (I haven't read the article), you can play PC games on Console but you cannot play Console games on PC?

edited June 2017
    Recore said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

I think my view on this subject, is in the majority of gamers and I think its why its not doing well.

People that game on PC and Xbox get both versions of Microsofts games with just one purchase. You have to talk to those gamers and ask them how they feel about Play Anywhere. 

As I said before I will be buying all of Microsoft's games and I own Xbox and PC so for me this is awesome. 

why are you describing how the system works as if I dont know.

yes I know its buy once and its for both platforms. did you even read my OP at all? like ANY word of it?

and I think in the main its not that very intresting for reasons in the OP I went into specific detail which you did not read

edited June 2017
    Let me try to help for those who replied but didnt really read the OP.

If you plan to buy State of Decay 2 because you think its a cool game (cant imagine but ok) would you NOT buy the game if it was not multiplat.

The point of a program like this is to generate EXTRA purchases, not the same purchases that would have happened anyway.

I just dont think in the main there are that many gamers who get overly excited about playing the exact same game in the living room, then run off to the den to play the exact same game on the PC.

Multiplat is becasue a game wants to attract people who perfer to play on one device or the other, not those that perfer to play the same game on BOTH
    Mikeha

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

yes I know its buy once and its for both platforms. did you even read my OP at all? like ANY word of it?

and I think in the main its not that very intresting for reasons in the OP I went into specific detail which you did not read

I knew the hate would come out soon. 

This is what you said, 

"I think my view on this subject, is in the majority of gamers and I think its why its not doing well."

I posted a link to show what gamers think of the program but feel free to ignore that. 

You are not a Xbox gamer. You are not even a console gamer. 

Why would a person that does not own a Xbox like a system where if they buy a game they get both Xbox and PC versions?  /SMH

This is not for you.   

postlarvalmaskedweasel
    edited June 2017
    Recore said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

I posted a link to show what gamers think of the program but feel free to ignore that. 

You are not a Xbox gamer. You are not even a console gamer. 

Why would a person that does not own a Xbox like a system where if they buy a game they get both Xbox and PC versions?  /SMH

This is not for you.   

I am telling you I feel very confident based on how you responded that I very honestly think you did not read my OP.

that is not me hating that is me telling you the truth.
    Given that I think you did not read any of my OP why would you think I would read your link?

after reading my OP why would you think to give me a oneline description of the program as if my OP didnt make it clear that I already knew that?

I know what the program is the question is would someone buy a game because of this program THAT OTHERWISE WOULD NOT BUY SAID GAME....other wise your net income is unchanged
    cameltosis

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited June 2017
    Recore said:

It doesn't take long.

We should start up a gambling pool to wager on how many posts it takes him to get the claws out.
    Mikeha

Recore said:

It doesn't take long.

We should start up a gambling pool to wager on how many posts it takes him to get the claws out.

It does not take many that's for sure. 

Talking to this guy is just a total waste of time. Every thread its just the same thing over and over. 

I am done here. :/

postlarvalGruntymaskedweasel
    edited June 2017
    Recore said:
    Recore said:

It doesn't take long.

Talking to this guy is just a total waste of time. Every thread its just the same thing over and over. 

so your saying...let me see if I get this right..

with MIcrosoft Play Anywhere if I buy a game in that program it works on both Xbox and PC and my game file is saved between them?

really?  I KNEW THAT!

The question is, how many new purchases is that going to create? how many people are going to run home excited too play a game in the living room, then jump up grab a snack and run off to the Den to play the same game as the one they just left in the living room and also be completely floored and stunned by such technology? AND buy said game mainly because they could do that

not many...at least not more than about twice when they notice that they spend the vast majority of their gaming time with that game on one platform anyway

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Recore said:
    Recore said:

It doesn't take long.

What you have to realize is he doesn't want to discuss anything. He wants his special snowflake voice to be heard and his opinions accepted without argument.

It's a lose-lose activity.
    Gruntymaskedweasel

I think if Recore would recit to me in his own words what he thinks I am saying in my OP (it shouldnt be too hard to do) that would be strong evidence that he read and understood my points.

can he do that please?

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited June 2017
    This thread is just another shining example of too many people assuming that their tastes and habits are a fair representation of "the majority". You may think there is no population who appreciates the ability to continue their games on multiple screens/devices, but there is a not-insignificant segment of the gaming population who raves about that very same feature on the Nintendo Switch. As the gaming population ages and families grow, the number of people who may appreciate that they could sit down to play a game on their couch and then move to their office when the kids show up and take over the living room only gets larger and larger. 

I also think that it's likely Microsoft knew very well that the Play Anywhere program wouldn't necessarily translate to large increases in sales in the same way they likely know people aren't going to run out and buy an Xbox One because it plays 20-year-old games from the original Xbox, and yet they're working on that backward compatibility anyway. Sometimes, a simple fan service feature should be viewed as just that. I've been saying for years that as digital format sales increase, the only reason a publisher wouldn't provide a copy for all formats with purchase is greed. If you buy a physical book, it should include a download code for the ebook version on the device of your choosing, just as many movies offer digital or Ultraviolet with the Blu-ray/DVD. And here's Microsoft providing the same fan service, and people have to get bitter about it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I like the idea of it.  I have multiple PCs and 2 XBOs...  I see it as a way to get myself a game for the PC and let the kids play on the XBO without needing to buy it again. 

Downside is that I think you need Windows 10 and I'm still clinging to 7...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I like the idea of it.  I have multiple PCs and 2 XBOs...  I see it as a way to get myself a game for the PC and let the kids play on the XBO without needing to buy it again. 

/Agree

Some times my kids want to play the PS4 or watch TV and all I have to do is go to the bedroom and play my Xbox games on PC.

Sometimes there is something on TV that I want to watch and I get on the PC playing Xbox and watching TV at the same time. 

Yes, its Windows 10 only though. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DMKano said:

Win10 is better in every way.

Why cling on to 7?

Because I have zero issues right now.  Games run great... no glitches or problems.
    Strong believer in the philosophy that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited June 2017
    Recore said:

/Agree

Some times my kids want to play the PS4 or watch TV and all I have to do is go to the bedroom and play my Xbox games on PC.

Sometimes there is something on TV that I want to watch and I get on the PC playing Xbox and watching TV at the same time. 

Yes, its Windows 10 only though. 
    now THAT is a good response.
    You might have a point there however I think most would just have a second console in the other room. Yes its true if you already have a PC its better because you will not spend the extra money but I think the demographic of 'people who want to play on the PC in the other room while the kids are playing the xbox in the living room and the one game I want too play at that moment is one that is an xbox title and not a game that is PC only' isnt very large but it is valid

bonzoso21 said:
    This thread is just another shining example of too many people assuming that their tastes and habits are a fair representation of "the majority". You may think there is no population who appreciates the ability to continue their games on multiple screens/devices, but there is a not-insignificant segment of the gaming population who raves about that very same feature on the Nintendo Switch. As the gaming population ages and families grow, the number of people who may appreciate that they could sit down to play a game on their couch and then move to their office when the kids show up and take over the living room only gets larger and larger. 

I also think that it's likely Microsoft knew very well that the Play Anywhere program wouldn't necessarily translate to large increases in sales in the same way they likely know people aren't going to run out and buy an Xbox One because it plays 20-year-old games from the original Xbox, and yet they're working on that backward compatibility anyway. Sometimes, a simple fan service feature should be viewed as just that. I've been saying for years that as digital format sales increase, the only reason a publisher wouldn't provide a copy for all formats with purchase is greed. If you buy a physical book, it should include a download code for the ebook version on the device of your choosing, just as many movies offer digital or Ultraviolet with the Blu-ray/DVD. And here's Microsoft providing the same fan service, and people have to get bitter about it.
    what is helpful for people like me is for people to give more concrete examples like Recore did other than 'i can play on both platforms' which I already know but I need examples of why/how that makes much difference, his kids example actually makes sense
    postlarval

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think it is a good strategy. It's a selling point due to the similarity of the platforms and may draw more people to the windows marketplace verse steam. Microsoft has a difficult battle in capturing the pc gaming audience. Steam has held this market for over a decade. Every little advantage they can offer will help them build out their customer base.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Seeing how I'm literally playing a game that was on PC and just ported to console, and on their forums with several hundred players that are doing exactly this (playing the console version of the game now that it's been ported)  I very much so see this as people wanting this.   Unfortunately THAT game doesn't save progress between the two versions.

Microsofts does, and in that sense, I can see a lot of people wanted to utilize play anywhere.  I know I will.
    [Deleted User]

Seeing how I'm literally playing a game that was on PC and just ported to console, and on their forums with several hundred players that are doing exactly this (playing the console version of the game now that it's been ported)  I very much so see this as people wanting this.   Unfortunately THAT game doesn't save progress between the two versions.

Microsofts does, and in that sense, I can see a lot of people wanted to utilize play anywhere.  I know I will.
    make sure I understand, you are saying you know a large number of poeple who where currently playing a PC game and then when the console version came out they decided to go play that same game on the console.

That just blows my friggin mind