Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Ships - What is the attraction?

Comments

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    My guess outside of the reason is fanatics.

The reason I would assume is 35 dollar packages are the cheapest way to get access to the game. Have to buy a ship to play. 
    The $35 Nox that has been sold recently doesn't come with the game. The cheapest SC Starter Packs have either the Aurora or the Mustangs and are at $45 + $15 if you want to buy SQ42 the single player experience (or the other way round you can upgrade from SQ42 to SC for $15).

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    hfztt said:
    Erillion said:
    donger56 said:
    Erillion said:
    People are not buying ships.

The backers give money so that the game they always wished for becomes reality.
    Oh really? So then why is there a giant list of ships with various prices on them? Why don't they just have a button on the site that says donate here to make your dreams come true? It would be so much easier wouldn't it? 

I wish you guys the best of luck making that idiotic argument in court some day as if this is some charity people are donating too. You people really do live in a fantasy world if you think that is going to fly. 
    Because it is customary in crowdfunding / "Kickstarter" style games to have various tiers of pledge packages ... and these pledge packages contain various rewards. Most often these are in game rewards (like the SC ships) ... some crowdfunding campaigns also offer real world memento items. Personally, i like those that also have real world items best .... cloth world maps, ship models etc.

Living in a fantasy (or in that case: sci-fi) world is the whole POINT of playing a sandbox game ;-)

Have fun
    I is a beautiful thought, and you present it so elegantly, that it is about the funding, not the ships. I do wonder why all those happy supporters are then seeling on the ships though, some even above orginal buy price. Not be course people place actual value on them I am sure. No, heaven forbid. It is all about the funding.

Lets make a deal, you stop bullshitting, and I stop calling you on it.

Of course people are primarily buying the expensive ships for the sake of the ships, not to make large donations. To claim otherwise is naive at best.

There is a certain tiny group of people that do not care one iota about Star Citizen. All they care about is making money. Any way they can. Some of those people have chosen the grey (and black) market of re-selling Star Citizen ships .... and I am talking about re-selling dozens and hundreds of ships, often at highly inflated prices (for LTI ships). I am not talking about normal backers and orgs transferring the occasional ship or three.

When CIG did their changes to ship trades, many of those greedy ticks crashed and burned together with the grey market. And then posted salty rants and demanded refunds. I say "Good riddance!".  Those are not "happy supporters" selling 95 % of those ships ... those are vermin and i am very happy that they will not befoul Star Citizen with their filthy mindset.

Have fun
    Babuinix

The reason I would assume is 35 dollar packages are the cheapest way to get access to the game. Have to buy a ship to play. 
    The $35 Nox that has been sold recently doesn't come with the game. The cheapest SC Starter Packs have either the Aurora or the Mustangs and are at $45 + $15 if you want to buy SQ42 the single player experience (or the other way round you can upgrade from SQ42 to SC for $15).
    The cheapest way to get into the game was a 20 $ X-mas starter package some years ago.

From time to time they offer 35 $ packages (often before X-mas, in limited quantities).

The normal standard starter package costs a bit more (i can only tell the € prices ... its 54 €, that includes both SC and SQ42).

Have fun
    Babuinix
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    edited June 2017
    Babuinix said:
    That's easy hehehe, just watch some of the many ship comercials:
    Was that the release date for the game in the beginning of that third video  :D

No signature, I don't have a pen

Erillion said:

The cheapest way to get into the game was a 20 $ X-mas starter package some years ago.

From time to time they offer 35 $ packages (often before X-mas, in limited quantities).

The normal standard starter package costs a bit more (i can only tell the € prices ... its 54 €, that includes both SC and SQ42).

Have fun
    Cheapest SC + SQ42 package for Austria (where you are from I guess) is listed 65.52€ with Aurora, please sign out of the site before telling people wrong data I guess you have some discount through subscription.

The fact that once it was $20 is irrelevant, 40 years ago I paid 15pence for my ice cream, but this helps nobody.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Lazarus71 said:
    Babuinix said:
    Lazarus71 said:
    Babuinix said:
    It's the date for when other space sims catch up on Star Citizen  :D
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    seems to me the devs are soaking up all their revenue up front just to get this thing built but then once its complete they wont have the revenue to stay afloat.  I think the devs themselves are afflicted with a gambling disease and they'll keep digging deeper and deeper in debt for that big win.  I am not wishing anything negative to happen, I just can't ignore what I see.
    Turrican187KefoOdeezee
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    and yes I am about $150 invested in this game since I bought a couple ships way way early on before all the "oops we missed our deadline" over and over.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Cheapest SC + SQ42 package for Austria (where you are from I guess) is listed 65.52€ with Aurora, please sign out of the site before telling people wrong data I guess you have some discount through subscription.

The fact that once it was $20 is irrelevant, 40 years ago I paid 15pence for my ice cream, but this helps nobody.

Doesn't it? That's like saying that knowing a stock price and trends for the entire year is irrelevant. No, it really isn't. It's quite helpful because it gives you a great idea of when you're getting a "deal". The stock market is based entirely on this concept. So you know what it is today, and what it has been in the past, so you can bide your time and wait for a sale, right? Yup! Totally relevant! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Doesn't it? That's like saying that knowing a stock price and trends for the entire year is irrelevant. No, it really isn't. It's quite helpful because it gives you a great idea of when you're getting a "deal". The stock market is based entirely on this concept. So you know what it is today, and what it has been in the past, so you can bide your time and wait for a sale, right? Yup! Totally relevant! 
    So you say it helps you trading the stock market when you know where the Apple share was 1990 (little hint - not very high).

The cake is a lie.

It is possible that discounts apply in my case. When I joined, there was no separation between SQ42 and SC. SQ42 and SQ42 Part II "Behind Enemy Lines" is included in my package.

To give CURRENT prices in dollar $ for a new starter package with SQ42/SC combo:

Store displays Mustang/Aurora starter package with SQ42/SC combo at 72 $  (with me not choosing Austria and not logging in with my SC backer and subscriber data).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

I ask someone from US to please check the link and let me know what price he sees there. It says on the homepage that the price includes VAT  and I am not sure if it autodetects that I am from Austria and uses EU VAT (which is quite high).

Have fun

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:

It is possible that discounts apply in my case. When I joined, there was no separation between SQ42 and SC. SQ42 and SQ42 Part II "Behind Enemy Lines" is included in my package.

To give CURRENT prices in dollar $ for a new starter package with SQ42/SC combo:

Store displays Mustang/Aurora starter package with SQ42/SC combo at 72 $  (with me not choosing Austria and not logging in with my SC backer and subscriber data).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

I ask someone from US to please check the link and let me know what price he sees there. It says on the homepage that the price includes VAT  and I am not sure if it autodetects that I am from Austria and uses EU VAT (which is quite high).

Have fun

60 USD detecting from Canada
    edited June 2017
    Erillion said:

Have fun

It's $45 for SC with starter (Mustang or Aurora), it's $45 for SQ42, it's $60 for both - Like I wrote before ...
    You should scroll down to the end of the page, you can choose your country there ... just select United States and you are fine ...

The cake is a lie.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's $45 for SC with starter (Mustang or Aurora), it's $45 for SQ42, it's $60 for both - Like I wrote before ...
    You should scroll down to the end of the page, you can choose your country there ... just select United States and you are fine ...
    It's just like G2A, even with IP checks many simply edit stats and proxy if necessary, as EU you can prevent paying VAT.

Of course, not properly legal.
    edited June 2017
    The AMD packages which combined Star Citizen + Squadron42+ Exclusive Racing Ship were going for 15$ dollars on ebay back in the day...

Now they go for 100$+...
    Erillion
    CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

So you say it helps you trading the stock market when you know where the Apple share was 1990 (little hint - not very high).

Lol, your over-exaggeration makes me giggle. Thanks for the laugh today. BTW, I got in at $25. 

For anyone who actually cares, just keep an eye out for a sale, or don't! You know what the price is today and you know what the lowest has been, so figure out the delta. Or, why not wait for release? 
    Babuinix

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    CrazKanuk said:
    Lol, your over-exaggeration makes me giggle. Thanks for the laugh today. BTW, I got in at $25. 
    O__o, lowest I've seen SC + SQ42 was 30$, that must have been quite early on I'd guess.
    Babuinix
    Babuinix said:
    The AMD packages which combined Star Citizen + Squadron42+ Exclusive Racing Ship were going for 15$ dollars on ebay back in the day...

Now they go for 100$+...
    Yep ... the AMD package basically gave you Star Citizen for free (when you were buying a computer part), and a really good looking ship skin too. I think it did not include SQ42, so I guess those 15 $ are basically the extra cost for SQ42 added to the free package.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Babuinix said:

Now they go for 100$+...
    Yep ... the AMD package basically gave you Star Citizen for free (when you were buying a computer part), and a really good looking ship skin too. I think it did not include SQ42, so I guess those 15 $ are basically the extra cost for SQ42 added to the free package.

Have fun
    At the time of the promotion it included both SC+SQ42 plus the AMD exclusive ship.

90$ into 900$. easy money.

Almost better than the mini fortune that Etherum provided.
  • VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited June 2017
    pappacube said:
    [...] but then once its complete they wont have the revenue to stay afloat.
    Why do you think that? Because the game will not be subscription based?

It's obvious to me they'll have several income sources after release. Among them is Squadron 42 sales their biggest potential income source, but they'll also get money from Centurion and Imperator Subscriptions, new starter packages for the PU, limited real money account deposits, in-game ads (think AMD ad on a huge space board when you approach a landing site: "$10 discount on our new graphic card for all Star Citizens!"), possible licensing of the StarEngine, marketing deals with real life companies, and other things.

My guess is that revenue from Squadron 42 (and its sequals) alone will keep CIG floating nicely.

As for OP's question, for me the attractive things about ships are a) I'm a collector and want them all - if possible; b) I want to contribute with pledging because I want this game to be made. I could write a lot about this last pt. in particular but it's sufficient to say I believe this game will be special and I trust the developer.
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    pappacube said:
    and yes I am about $150 invested in this game since I bought a couple ships way way early on before all the "oops we missed our deadline" over and over.
    The fact that you felt the need to post this at all is evidence of the cult-like atmosphere currently surrounding this game's community.

Ironic, because the game would probably be fine if the white knights would only lay off and let things unfold.
    MaxBaconVikingirOdeezee

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    The problem with SC is that you can actually play parts of it. See the typical MMORPG poster needs the game to be 100% not possible to play yet in order to be excited about it and even to consider it an active game. 
    games with actual game play are not something to enjoy basically

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited June 2017

pappacube said:
    The fact that you felt the need to post this at all is evidence of the cult-like atmosphere currently surrounding this game's community.

Ironic, because the game would probably be fine if the white knights would only lay off and let things unfold.
    First of all - namecalling is not Ok in any discussion. And you're targeting the poster instead of sticking to the topic.

Star Citizen's backers differs from most game communities because it has a large group of grown-ups and older people, which clashes automatically with the typical gamer's attitudes you see elsewhere. What you call with derogatory names is, IMO, mostly due to a generation gap in how to express oneself in writing (which you so clearly demonstrates by using namecalling).

SEANMCAD said:
    The problem with SC is that you can actually play parts of it. See the typical MMORPG poster needs the game to be 100% not possible to play yet in order to be excited about it and even to consider it an active game. 
    Interesting. I've never thought of it that way, but then again I'm not a typical MMORPG poster. I think it's fun to try out new functions and content, train my flying skills, fly with friends, etc.
    PhaserlightErillionOdeezee
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vikingir said:

pappacube said:

First of all - namecalling is not Ok in any discussion. And you're targeting the poster instead of sticking to the topic.

Star Citizen's backers differs from most game communities because it has a large group of grown-ups and older people, which clashes automatically with the typical gamer's attitudes you see elsewhere. What you call with derogatory names is, IMO, mostly due to a generation gap in how to express oneself in writing (which you so clearly demonstrates by using namecalling).

Spare me.

"White knight" is a term that has been around for years.  It's not "namecalling" to use nouns to describe things.

Furthermore, my post was directed @pappacube , not you.  It's on topic since he is literally doing the thing the author of the video says people feel compelled to do whenever saying something critical about this game.  Watch from 21:04.
    VikingirOdeezee

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

SEANMCAD said:

Heeeeeeey........ I see what you're doing there....... :)

Babuinix

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------