Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World Legends - Review in Progress #1 - Approachable & Engaging - MMORPG.com

12346»

Comments

• StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    You can run dungeons as many times has you want, getting loot every time is a different story (which I tend to agree with). Loot needs to have value other then farm 4 times then never go back. Your statement is not exactly honest or accurate.

I do however think the amount of keys rewarded daily could use a bit of tweaking but frankly there is a lot of questing to do in order to fill out your talent trees. 
  • StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    The changes are good, the old tree was 70% filler talents that nobody who knew what they were doing used. 
    Terrible generalization, very close-minded and typically only believed by people engaging in confirmation bias and self-validation, wanting to prove (at least to themselves) that the way they play is the right and correct way ...and anyone who does differently is doing it wrong. It's an incredibly ego-driven mentality that is often demonstrated by people who don't really know as much as they pretend to, becuase they're just following the same cookie-cutter templates everyone else is.

I saw this mentality all the time in FFXI. Some new build would come along, and be deemed "THE One And Only Correct Way To Play", with anything else deemed inferior and useless. Then some rare person whom didn't just follow the cookie-cutter builds, but actually experimented and tried different things, all while being told they were doing it wrong and needed to "learn to play". They'd end up finding a new setup that worked even better. Word got around, and suddenly that became "THE One And Only Correct Way To Play", with anything else deemed inferior and useless. Then someone whom didn't just follow cookie-cutter builds, but experimented.... and you get the idea. I saw this happen over and over again over my years playing that MMO.

And people never learned. They never saw the pattern. They never stopped and thought "You know... we keep finding better builds... maybe the one we're using now *isn't* the ONE build to end all builds. Maybe I should try experimenting and see if I can't find something even better..."

It was no different in TSW.

Many gamers have this amazing conceit that when they find something that works better than anything else they've tried, their immediate belief is "there can't be any better. This is it". They then dogmatically preach that everyone else must follow that same build, or they're doing it wrong. Anyone who dares to try something different is told they don't know how to play.... 'til they find something that works, and prove they do.

Ironically, it's almost aways the people who like to tell others how they're supposed to play who know the least about how things actually work. The people who experiment, and are told "they're doing it wrong", are the ones who actually know what they're doing, because they're actually doing hands-on experimentation and trying things.. not just dismissing them outright, because "so and so's cookie-cutter template Number 13934 says to do it differently". 

TSW's skills opened up a variety of different options people could try. Many were good bridge skills for people to use until they were able to unlock better/final skills for a certain build. Some people like to experiment with different things. Some people like to find the most improbable-sounding builds and see if they can make them work. Some people simply find their own style that doesn't fall in line with "what everyone else says you should do". 

There's a reason why there were so many different skill builds you could link and import through the viper addon. They were builds people had worked on, tried out, and found to be useful, whether in early game, mid-game, or end-game.. in PvP, PvE, normal dungeons, NM dungeons, etc. There's a variety of builds that could do the job just as well, and they didn't all use the same "30%" of the skill wheel.

You can run all the builds you want, does not mean they are any good. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Terrible generalization, very close-minded and typically only believed by people engaging in confirmation bias and self-validation, wanting to prove (at least to themselves) that the way they play is the right and correct way ...and anyone who does differently is doing it wrong. It's an incredibly ego-driven mentality that is often demonstrated by people who don't really know as much as they pretend to, becuase they're just following the same cookie-cutter templates everyone else is.
    Too bad we can only give one agree, a very accurate summary. As a fellow player suggested a few years ago (when I did similar answers to ignorant people), that it's better not wasting our time doing so. Let's face it, people saying:

- just spamming builders till consumer, 111112
    -skill bloat, most skills are copy and pointless
    -why can't I do quest shopping at the hub, one quest at a time sucks
    -crafting is dumb

are better to simply put on ignore, since they obviously have no idea about TSW and just barely scratched the very surface, with leaving probably pretty soon after.

Good for them that they now got the version they always wanted, a totally generic and dumbed down, hand holding action crap. Too bad they got it in exchange of TSW's demise.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    This time I'm going to make it out of Kingsmouth, I am! This time.
    Not going to let past dissatisfaction get the better of me again. This time I'm going to make it.
    Ugh, don't think I am
    Come on, you can do it
    sigh - no, it ain't going to happen.

Maybe it's the game engine being used, maybe it's me. (Probably is me as other people seem ok with it).

To me, it still doesn't seem to have the 'feel' about the combat. The feedback to the player when you have used a magic or physical ability.
    I'm a bit reluctant to say it's better, as it doesn't feel much different in regard to giving your senses the feeling that you've actually landed an ability on the mob or mobs.

I do think a part of it is the game engine being used. Some games don't have any trouble in doing this, even ones considered to be old now. Combat in those comes across as a near tactile experience, with skills seeming to impact on the targets with real meaning.

But struggling again to get that level of involvement from the combat here. Frustrating as heck - maybe it's me.
  • Winter-HaleWinter-Hale Member CommonPosts: 4

I'd rather a new MMO "every week" than a new kickstarter every month like NA. We basically gave up on the future of the genre.

I would rather get 1 ground breaking IP out of thousands of failed kickstarters. Than a thousand cookie cutter MMOs who are looking to cash out with minimal effort and short life spans. The blame of course lies as much with the consumer as it does with the producers though. Long as we keep buying into this model we will continue to get this model.

Though the flagrant monetization isnt what bothers with this perversion of TSW. Rather its the console like control scheme. The fact that tab targetting and the original complexity of the game has been hidden behind training wheels. For the sake of being appealing to a larger audience. Despite the fact that the game was infact generating revenue according to the last public stock holders memo.
    Corileanna
  • Winter-HaleWinter-Hale Member CommonPosts: 4

Siris23 said:

So, it's the same game... but worse, but better just because it was repackaged as a new game. Got it. =\

"You know what this game needs? LEVELS!" -Said no one ever
    "This game is awesome because it holds your hand through quests. Figure stuff out would totally ruin it" -Said no one ever
    "Instead of giving useless skills a purpose they should short cut and just remove em. Variety is dumb" -Said no one ever
    "The early dungeons are too hard, they should make them so easy 3 people can do em. No tanks or heals." -Said no one ever

"The game before these changes was a blockbuster success" said no one ever.

And now it's even less of a non-blockbuster.

I'm actually looking forward to the "this game sucks" posts that should start in about...oh....7 days.

Dude... that's like... EVERY MMO. Especially on this site.
    Even the most popular MMOs still have people bitching about how "bad" they are. Or how "dead" they are, because apparently if you don't like a game personally, the other millions of people playing them suddenly don't count.

Siris23 said:

So, it's the same game... but worse, but better just because it was repackaged as a new game. Got it. =\

"This game is awesome because it holds your hand through quests. Figure stuff out would totally ruin it" -Said no one ever
    "Instead of giving useless skills a purpose they should short cut and just remove em. Variety is dumb" -Said no one ever
    "The early dungeons are too hard, they should make them so easy 3 people can do em. No tanks or heals." -Said no one ever

I'm actually looking forward to the "this game sucks" posts that should start in about...oh....7 days.

Even the most popular MMOs still have people bitching about how "bad" they are. Or how "dead" they are, because apparently if you don't like a game personally, the other millions of people playing them suddenly don't count.

Siris23 said:

Millions? Please this isnt WoW. Id be surprised if TSW or SWLs long term numbers exceed 300k daily unique user logins which is about what Second Life gets.

Just like last time youll all log in long enough to take up the good usernames than vanish after six months leaving the true fans of the ip with some broke ass version of a game they kept alive for 5 years. Just to betrayed by funcom to bring back the fickle crowd who will ditch at the next big thing.
  • 123ffxiv123ffxiv Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited June 2017
    dontadow said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was simplified in anticipation for consoles release one day.  The Park, was a dry run and let them know what changes were needed, now they get to continue testing the new build on pc.
    I agree with this, I can't wait for the steam release as right now i'm using a controller to play it using Pinnacle.  This process makes me much happier than every game copying the wow formula to make money.  Now games are being made to be more console assessille.  I think this type of game design has and will motivate more innovation in the genre.  We can thank Destiny for it.  
    </BR></BR>
    I know this is not going to fly well with the MMO elitists who believe that if you aren't using 20 buttons to perform 5 more hit points of damage, you're not playing an MMO, and thus throw around words like "easy", "simple" or "casual".   
    You know you can add SWL to steam and use a controller through Steam. Valve made it so you can customize inputs for non-steam controllers a while back.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Torval said:
    Winter-Hale said:

Millions? Please this isnt WoW. Id be surprised if TSW or SWLs long term numbers exceed 300k daily unique user logins which is about what Second Life gets.

Just like last time youll all log in long enough to take up the good usernames than vanish after six months leaving the true fans of the ip with some broke ass version of a game they kept alive for 5 years. Just to betrayed by funcom to bring back the fickle crowd who will ditch at the next big thing.
    Read it again. He said, collectively the millions of players that play and pay for games outweighs the indignant minority of bitchers. Such histrionics and entitlement. You're part of the problem.
    And BOOM goes the dynamite!
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAzaron_Nightblade
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I have a life sub and maintain the first release had one of the best ARCs ever with disappointing combat. Looking forward to seeing if they nailed it this time around.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Luv to give it a try if they ever get back to me and get my account fixed. Not sure about the "customer service". Used their pages to send a message about my problem, was supposed to get a response within 1 "business day", well that's past and still no response...
  • SkjoldurSkjoldur Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited June 2017
    I agree that the game is much better than the original TSW. Quests have gone and the ridiculous crafting has been changed although it could still use a few tweaks. Like getting more upgrade XP from a partially leveled item.

But once you reach level 50 the changes to SP and AP gain move the "Pay2Progress" a lot more in the direction of Pay2Win. Same goes for the item upgrades. If you have a couple of people that are willing to pour money into this game, then they will outgear anyone else in PvP by an insane factor. I am not looking forward to that.

Also it feels very wrong, that the only loot that you ever get from mobs is the stupid cache.
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    saker said:
    Luv to give it a try if they ever get back to me and get my account fixed. Not sure about the "customer service". Used their pages to send a message about my problem, was supposed to get a response within 1 "business day", well that's past and still no response...
    Customer Service is hugely over-whelmed currently.. If it's really important do Live chat, and just wait till they join chat, but keep checking cause there is no sound to notify you are next, i almost missed my chance cause of that. They took 1 hour and 45 minutes to reply to my chat, so yea.
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Skjoldur said:
    I agree that the game is much better than the original TSW. Quests have gone and the ridiculous crafting has been changed although it could still use a few tweaks. Like getting more upgrade XP from a partially leveled item.

But once you reach level 50 the changes to SP and AP gain move the "Pay2Progress" a lot more in the direction of Pay2Win. Same goes for the item upgrades. If you have a couple of people that are willing to pour money into this game, then they will outgear anyone else in PvP by an insane factor. I am not looking forward to that.

Also it feels very wrong, that the only loot that you ever get from mobs is the stupid cache.
    Oh i haven't got that far yet, do they plan to add more PvP?! Shambala is too quick.. One life and then see which team dies first? Too quick.
  • SkjoldurSkjoldur Member UncommonPosts: 9

G4NK3D said:

ste2000 said:

Though I am not so sure about being able to buy AP and SP on the CS, need to test it myself before I can come up with a conclusion.

In all fairness, even if that turns out to be in there... what does it really matter?
    It's not a PvP game. This will pretty much affect us as much as someone cheating on a single player game to make it easy on themselves.

I wouldn't buy it, since I actually like playing the game, but if someone wants to throw money at that I pretty much couldn't care less.

But there is PvP in the game...... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being able to do that and I actually am very much enjoying SWL with these new changes. I did not really enjoy the combat system of TSW so this is a breath of fresh air for me. I just had to set the record straight that there is PvP in the game and if you go to the menu and options you can even see the PvP options that are there for health bars etc.

Selling AP and SP is pretty much like selling instant level-ups in other games. Grinding abilities takes much less time in SWL than doing a 1-90 in WoW. 

Only until you reach level 50, then you grind your ass of for them.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Skjoldur said:

Only until you reach level 50, then you grind your ass of for them.
    Is it really that bad?  I mean it still took quite a few months ( I think I hit 100% skill tree after 5ish months)  Or is it just easier to pay for it.
  • VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Having a blast with the re-release so far. Combat is improved from what I have experienced from the Blade and Elemental side of the things. The new animations are smoother and seem more natural. Some quests have been tweaked in a positive way but still the same overall feel which is a good thing.

Everyone should be giving this thing a try out for sure.
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I think this is just a last-ditch effort for Funcom to cash in on the IP. It's 2017 and the game doesn't even feel like it's from 2012.
    postlarval
  • schenaschena Member CommonPosts: 1
    I played some more and I saw that everything needs aurum or coins that you can not normally, of course you can exchange animal shards for aurum, but let's agree without patron nor worth playing. Pets, sprints, boxes and chests need to be patron to have / open. In my view they are shouting for me to buy keys. So I do not like free to play games, everything turns into a cash game. A pity for a game with one of the best themes I've ever played.