Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't find an MMO to play - Am I just bored of them or what is it?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited June 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Bought FFXIV+expansion, found out couldn't join my friends cause server is locked. I dunno why a queue like most normal games couldn't be implemented, but oh well. I'd rather be in an 10 hour queue and wait all day to play than not play at all with my friends lol

Tried ESO, but the community seemed kinda meh and even joining in the past hour a big guild...I think I just can't get into ESO for some reason. It didn't help my two friends who joined with me say they probably won't continue playing it.

Keep going back over and over to WoW, but I get bored really quick cause did so much of it already and there isn't really anything to actually do in Legion except get better items...which is boring

Sort of play GW2...but it feels pointless...while chasing a tiny bit bigger piece of cheese in WoW is boring and I don't consider real content...having no point at all to do play is kinda boring too. I dunno what there is to accomplish in GW2. Plus none of my friends actually play GW2. However...PvP in GW2 is amazing.

I LOVED City of Heroes. Loved SWG. Loved Asheron's Call. Loved Saga of Ryzom (but that MMO is dead as hell, its up but literally NO ONE plays lol)...I loved warhammer online (and dark age of camelot before that)...loved Vanguard Saga of Heroes. Loved tabula rasa and auto assault. Loved anarchy online (yes its still up, yes the graphics make it unplayable for me)...none of these I got bored with even if I played them for years and years.

Sure some I can go back to (SWG is still around heh heh)...but I am a graphics snob (sort of)...I don't need the best graphics in the entire world...I just want playable semi-modern graphics lol. Going back to old blocky 3d graphics=a big fat no for me lol. 

Is it the newer MMOs that are out that just aren't like the old MMOs? Am I bored with the genre or what? 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Gdemami

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Project Gorgon
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Gorwe said:
    Both you and the genre changed. Hence this. Happened to me with strategies, trust me I know what you mean(since when is STRATEGY = # of APM?).
    Real-time strategy games are not a type of strategy game unless you mean something like Europa Universalis.
  • Delirium666Delirium666 Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Stop expecting too much from games and you will enjoy every single game or atleast 90% of them. Play some FPS game's for a bit then go back to mmorpg's, it also helped me.
    SovrathMrMelGibson
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Pretty much need to wait till one of these Kickstarters pull their heads out their A**. They either need more personnel or need to wake up and see half of their player base will be dead before they finish the project.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I feel like the op too. And i also like the old games he listed. The genre has changed and not for the better imo. I'm kind of hoping The Secret World Legends turns out ok.
    HellidolBrother_NumsieCanibaloler
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited June 2017
    Stop expecting too much from games and you will enjoy every single game or atleast 90% of them. Play some FPS game's for a bit then go back to mmorpg's, it also helped me.
    Some of our expectations can't be set that low! 
    I'm in the same boat. I have a good idea why too. It's a combination of a few things, the main one being that the business people who run game companies don't know what they are doing, and they overrule the devs working for them.

Modern games aren't learning from the games that went before them. I also loved CoH, and it had a great group system, with scaling content both in instances and in the open world, side-kicking and exemplaring, team sizes up to 8, and that in a more than 10 year old game now. There is no excuse why modern games have such bad group systems when they have so many examples to learn from.

At some point a company will realize that if you spend enough money well you can make a great game that people will love and it will be crazy profitable, because people will spend money on a good game. 

Gaming is also suffering from the same problem that Linux is. Nobody is willing to compromise enough to make one big good project, so what we get is all these small indie studios making barely different small scope games with very few producing something a significant number of people will find worth playing.

That's why I started my game project, I just don't know how to get to AAA game company from nothing XD 
    NildenGdemami
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP, there are many who feel just like you.
    Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    I have tried and played so many MMOs (F2P and B2P) over the years (300+) you would think I would have found at least 1 that would hold my attention enough to spend hours playing daily. Sadly the only thing I have really stuck half assedly is GW2 and I only log in for a few daily events and home node gathering.
    GdemamiGorwe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    they all suck bad nowadays. nothing new hehe

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • LivedeffloLivedefflo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    in response to original post... 

I've played MMO's off and on since 1999 and original Everquest. I'm 37 years old now and I gotta tell ya over the past few years I've gradually slid away from MMO's altogether. Even with the hopes of a new one in the works I don't get as excited as I used to and honestly haven't even played an MMO for the better part of a year now. 

I've been going back to games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect series, Tomb Raider's, etc etc etc and just went exploring without all the unnecessary drama's and trolls u find every day in MMO's. That's alot of what killed it over time for me. I got older, the crowd got younger and more immature. I know there's alot of mature gamers like me out there but too few and far between these days in MMO's... at least in my opinion. Just wasn't worth the hassle of sifting through the trolls. 

Hope this helps and possibly gives you some advice in the process =)
    Gdemami
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Try Aion
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Scary thing for me is that ALL gaming is kind of getting like this.  There are some single player games I enjoy but I am bored real quick.
    GdemamiGorwe
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I tried to play Ryzom not long ago myself but had issues with Windows 10 so I got rid of it...Otherwise it would have been in the rotation.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    If you still love DAoC, perhaps you should put aside your preference for modern graphics for a time if you can, and enjoy it while it remains an option. It is still hanging in for now, but who knows when it may end up closing for good.

Games have changed over the years, and feel of older games is hard to find in current titles, so you may find the games of today to have slim pickings.

You may find one upcoming title of particular interest... Camelot Unchained, which will be a more modern spiritual successor to DAoC, that will likely be in many ways similar to that game, but also different as well.  It should have more graphical flare than the original.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Im enjoying FFXIV quite a bit at the moment. Just finished ARR storyline a couple days ago and on my way to Heavensward content. I'll give it 2 months of subscription time to try and reach Stormblood content. However, the more i play XIV the more i want to go back and play older FF titles i never got to finish. More specifically FF6(ff3), FF12 and FF13 (yeah, i didn't hate FF13 like many people out there)

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I feel the same but have no graphics requirements.  I just want a game with some depth and character building.  I can only play a game for a couple months.  I had a great time playuing AO recently and thanks to this thread and downloading a SWG server thing.  Also, NWN2 has some pretty great servers running if you want try something different that a ha something for everyone and the different servers are kind of like different games.  Comparing Realms of Trinity to Baldur's Gate to PST.  The graphics aren't that bad either I don't think.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Some people like having the same breakfast, lunch and dinner that they always had, others need more variety in their life. Its the same thing with mmorpg, either you like doing the same type of content with the same character progression that made you play mmorpg for so long or you grew tired of the formula.

The only advice I can give is what I did myself, if you can't find enjoyment in current mmorpg start to play other genres and get an additional hobby to occupy your time.
    HushBlushMrMelGibsoncure01[Deleted User]
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • HushBlushHushBlush Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Shaigh said:
    Some people like having the same breakfast, lunch and dinner that they always had, others need more variety in their life. Its the same thing with mmorpg, either you like doing the same type of content with the same character progression that made you play mmorpg for so long or you grew tired of the formula.

The only advice I can give is what I did myself, if you can't find enjoyment in current mmorpg start to play other genres and get an additional hobby to occupy your time.
    i love what you said.. ill take not on that as well... 
    cure01

Let's Play Ragnarok Journey
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    The problem is you got used to the old MMOs and their gameplay. But those are no longer made. Sorry, can't help you. But I know how you feel. There are still good single player games but they won't satisfy your kind of MMO needs of course.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. 

My personal tastes haven't changed over the years, but was has changed is that I at least know what my personal tastes are now. In the past when I was still exploring the genre, I didn't really know what I liked or didn't like so I would try a lot of games out. Some I'd last a day, some a week, some a few months before I identified something I could get over - be it weak / shallow combat, too linear questing, crazy power gaps or just an IP I couldn't connect with. 

So, these days, I at least know exactly what I like, and more importantly, I know exactly what sort of features will kill my enjoyment of an MMO. 

On top of that, the genre has changed. The biggest change has been the move to action-combat. It is a style of combat I simply don't enjoy, I find it too shallow and unengaging for long term play. I can put up with it for 30-50 hours (standard single player RPG) but even with them, I'm usually bored by the end. For an MMO where I expect to play for years, I just can't stand the boredom. 

So, like the OP, I sit around waiting for something new and engaging to come along. All my hopes are pinned on Camelot Unchained but we're still a long way from release on that one. I'm curious to see what Amazon can do with New World, but hold little hope for that. 
    KyleranGorwe
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    u r not alone out there dude ;)
    Kyleran
  • darkszgzdarkszgz Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I love mmorpgs and i have been playing for 12 years non stop but right now every game out there or being developed need too many hours for an adult (more a work than a game) or its pvp. So im here playing rpgs and waitting for the steam sales to spend my wallet.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    darkszgz said:
    I love mmorpgs and i have been playing for 12 years non stop but right now every game out there or being developed need too many hours for an adult (more a work than a game) or its pvp. So im here playing rpgs and waitting for the steam sales to spend my wallet.
    Lol, yup, I deliberately went through and updated my steam wishlist yesterday in preparation for todays start of the summer sale....could get expensive!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    darkszgz said:
    Lol, yup, I deliberately went through and updated my steam wishlist yesterday in preparation for todays start of the summer sale....could get expensive!
    Eeek!!! Runs off to update my wish list too.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    It happens with any genre and your changing preferences.

My cure: You play a game you fancy from other genres in the meanwhile. Just sticking to one genre is odd to me as a gamer, but I'm sure people exist like that.