Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Worker Time Exploit Brought Billions To Exploiters.

ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
edited June 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
[mod edit]
"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
― Terry Pratchett,

Post edited by Vaross on
[Deleted User]

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/

"The developers are now working on adjusting this system to prevent abuse, which will be implemented during our next maintenance on June 21th.
    We would also like to thank the players that reported this to us, which makes it possible for us to take swift action against these issues."

It'll be dead today. Hopefully along with the accounts of those that abused it.
    [Deleted User]KyleranMikeha

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited June 2017
    https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/

"The developers are now working on adjusting this system to prevent abuse, which will be implemented during our next maintenance on June 21th.
    We would also like to thank the players that reported this to us, which makes it possible for us to take swift action against these issues."

Ban ???? hahahahaahahahaahahaa

Kakao proposed to players to manually adjust their time clocks in order to fix another ingame bug related to journal.

Sooooooo sorry m8 but no banhammer for an exploit that was advised from the devs.

Worker Time Exploit [Updated]' href='Worker Time Exploit [Updated]'>http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7183356/<a href="https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/page-5#post-133678">Worker Time Exploit [Updated]</a>

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    A simple thing, instead of using the server they used the client, and the golden rule of servers is do NOT trust the client. Any little thing can be exploited, as this shows, trust nobody! 

Expect for games like Destiny 2, their amazing client P2P un-exploitable *cough* gameplay, hmmm just you wait :blush:
    Erevus
    Nyctelios said:
    D2 will be p2p?! Seriously?!
    Same as Destiny 1 and For Honor, the new AAA multiplayer experience, guess what they all have in common in the PC version hehe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    erevus said:

Kakao proposed to players to manually adjust their time clocks in order to fix another ingame bug related to journal.

Sooooooo sorry m8 but no banhammer for an exploit that was advised from the devs.

Worker Time Exploit [Updated]" href="<a href="https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/page-5#post-133678">Worker Time Exploit [Updated]</a>">http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7183356/<a href="https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/page-5#post-133678">Worker Time Exploit [Updated]</a>

They could however quite easily identify offenders and remove their ill gotten gains.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    MaxBacon said:
    A simple thing, instead of using the server they used the client, and the golden rule of servers is do NOT trust the client. Any little thing can be exploited, as this shows, trust nobody! 

Expect for games like Destiny 2, their amazing client P2P un-exploitable *cough* gameplay, hmmm just you wait :blush:
    It's like buying a state of the art monitoring system for your house and then leaving the door open.
    I've NEVER seen such an easiest exploit in ANY mmo I've ever played.
    They game is literally going down the drain fast, with super LAG issues, Server instability and exploits like this which gives an enormous advantage to the exploiters, while leaving them unharmed from the banhammer.
    ― Terry Pratchett,

edited June 2017
    Kyleran said:
    They could however quite easily identify offenders and remove their ill gotten gains.
    Not at all, if there was no server tracking for this timers, all the server is tracking is what got done and persistently saved.

This seems to me like the skill casting exploit, they couldn't find and ban it, the countdown timers were client-side hence they were exploited, they have since moved those to server-side to gain control over it.

I'd say the now billionaire exploiters will get away with this one. I wouldn't see the company putting too much effort to damage that was already done and money that already went deep though the game's economy.
    Erevus
    erevus said:
    It's like buying a state of the art monitoring system for your house and then leaving the door open.
    I've NEVER seen such an easiest exploit in ANY mmo I've ever played.
    They game is literally going down the drain fast, with super LAG issues, Server instability and exploits like this which gives an enormous advantage to the exploiters, while leaving them unharmed from the banhammer.
    I've seen. I mean they are more common than what we would think, and most importantly, they do are many times found and fixed sneakily, no company wants bad media about a nightmarish exploit hitting their game.

You can use the Guild Wars 2 colossal drama with the karma exploit with the company personally hunting down and permabanning thousands of their players in a row in one almost vindictive act as one of their developers did a typo in a price.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    Not at all, if there was no server tracking for this timers, all the server is tracking is what got done and persistently saved.

This seems to me like the skill casting exploit, they couldn't find and ban it, the countdown timers were client-side hence they were exploited, they have since moved those to server-side to gain control over it.

I'd say the now billionaire exploiters will get away with this one. I wouldn't see the company putting too much effort to damage that was already done and money that already went deep though the game's economy.
    The server has to track how much gold a player has at any given moment and perhaps how it was earned.

Gross increases outside of normal patterns are easily identified and can be challenged. 

Now will they bother to do so?  Depends if they think its necessary to rebalance the game. (or save face)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    MaxBacon said:
    Nyctelios said:
    D2 will be p2p?! Seriously?!
    Same as Destiny 1 and For Honor, the new AAA multiplayer experience, guess what they all have in common in the PC version hehe
    Why spend money on server infrastructure,when the suckers will buy your game anyway.
    Let them cry on the internet afterwards...
    Kyleran said:
    The server has to track how much gold a player has at any given moment and perhaps how it was earned.

Gross increases outside of normal patterns are easily identified and can be challenged. 

Now will they bother to do so?  Depends if they think its necessary to rebalance the game. (or save face)

With the way workers work and you can have so many always ongoing in the same and all over the world, I'd think the database is simply keeping track as all of those tasks finish without doing any sane checks against individual tasks (that is what they patched now).

If they really wanted they might want to go see how much some have earned out of the normal, but this is that sort of thing that fix the issue and move on, if you saw GW2 with the Karma exploit you'll know it would gave them negative press as they took a rampage against cheating that perm-banned too many innocent people (including me, twice --'), didn't do much good.

We need to mind there's exploits open in any MMO you can think of, the big BIG factor is that those smart will prevent that such exploits and schemes will not be of public knowledge, we just hear about them once the information leaks but just imagine how long it was being exploited quietly and how many more are around nobody knows about. 
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Kyleran said:
    erevus said:

Worker Time Exploit [Updated]" href="Worker Time Exploit [Updated]">http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7183356/<a href="https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/worker-time-exploit-updated.15949/page-5#post-133678">Worker Time Exploit [Updated]</a>

How can they identify them?
    If this exploit was possible,it means they were not even monitoring and collecting the relevant data,otherwise they would have seen the irregular patterns of players gaining materials from workers at an extremely high rate.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I offer you a quote from RPGCodex in 2003, which is and always will be relevant to online games:

"Online gaming can be a whole lot of fun, but there are two problems that always seem to ruin it: Cheating and personality conflicts. I don't see solutions for those coming anytime soon. So the entire point is moot as far as I can tell."

By the time you are old, and you can overlook the cheating, you may find that the personality conflicts have spoiled the other half of the game. Indeed you may find that cheating arises from personality conflicts. If you could die in MMORPGs, these exploits would mean much less than they do when things enter the world which can never leave it. Bots, exploits, and RMT mean much less in a game with death. This reminds me of another quote: 

" The very concept is broken to begin with. You can't have Lord of the Rings with everybody playing as Gandalf or some such. It's ridiculous. "