Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions to decide if I give TESO another try

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,677
    I agree with you about the guild vendors, that systems sucks donkey balls, and only promotes the creating of big, lifeless guilds only used for the vendors. ESO with an auction house would be better and avoid a lot of useless hassle, and also some blatant exploitation from some trading guilds.
    There are a lot of hardcore ESO fans that will defend the lack of an AH to the death as a "feature." I think it sucks too and they should have at least zone based auction houses.

Jean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibsonwanderica
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,409
    Iselin said:
    I agree with you about the guild vendors, that systems sucks donkey balls, and only promotes the creating of big, lifeless guilds only used for the vendors. ESO with an auction house would be better and avoid a lot of useless hassle, and also some blatant exploitation from some trading guilds.
    There are a lot of hardcore ESO fans that will defend the lack of an AH to the death as a "feature." I think it sucks too and they should have at least zone based auction houses.
    "Hardcore" fans tend to defend the most stupid mechanics, we've seen that a lot during the whole MMORPG genre history. FFA Full loot PvP with no restriction or consequences for instance... in the name of "freedom".
    MrMelGibsonPhry
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Iselin said:
    "Hardcore" fans tend to defend the most stupid mechanics, we've seen that a lot during the whole MMORPG genre history. FFA Full loot PvP with no restriction or consequences for instance... in the name of "freedom".
    Agreed.  But then, at least in those full loot games, there's something for those that enjoy that experience.  It seems to me that the guild based trading in ESO was poorly thought out.  I get they wanted to limit market manipulation, but being in multiple trading guilds makes that even worse.  If I'm not mistaken, there were no guild traders at launch.  You had to be in the guild to buy AND sell.  It was obviously broken, and even then you had people defending the system.  The cap to guild sizes further hampers this.  There used to be a waiting list to get into the larger guilds.  Don't know if that's still the case.

I've pretty much given up on it ever changing, and it will, unfortunately, just remain the one thing I hate about the game.  I think Zenimax could change the system to at least make it more accessible.  Gear drops easily enough from quest rewards and dungeon drops, but I've largely ignored crafting except for research so far.  I can't understand why people defend this system as is.  Even a small change, like localizing vendors in the capital cities instead of spread out all over the world, would make it tolerable.  As is though?  No thanks, I'll just level crafting instead of traipsing all over Tamriel looking for a chest piece.  Iselin is right, though, complaining about it on the official forums is almost as bad as complaining about FFA PvP in the Darkfall forums.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,744
    Iselin said:

I can understand the appeal of the guild based trading system; in theory it adds another layer of depth. In practice I find it inconvenient and it does add another barrier to entry.

In relation to that, here is a site that shows the prices of items in all the guild vendors, which I have found really helpful: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
    Octagon7711Jean-Luc_Picardwanderica
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

I can understand the appeal of the guild based trading system; in theory it adds another layer of depth. In practice I find it inconvenient and it does add another barrier to entry.

In relation to that, here is a site that shows the prices of items in all the guild vendors, which I have found really helpful: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
    Yeah I use their add-on for setting my prices when I sell. I like it better than Master Merchant because it's much leaner and up to the minute with pricing.
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Good add-on, thanks for the heads up :)

Now to find a trading guild that doesn't ask a weekly fee of more gold than I can afford...
    TorvalPhry
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Now to find a trading guild that doesn't ask a weekly fee of more gold than I can afford...
    By the way, that addon has been discontinued 2 years ago... but there's the same feature in the addon "Destinations".
    gervaise1

YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

By the way, that addon has been discontinued 2 years ago... but there's the same feature in the addon "Destinations".
    Which add-on are you talking about that has been discontinued? Not the TTC one. That's current and was last updated August 14, 2017.

BTW, if you're going to get and use some addons, I highly recommend Minion, the ESOUI addon installer and updater: https://www.minion.gg/

― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
    edited August 2017
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Which add-on are you talking about that has been discontinued? Not the TTC one. That's current and was last updated August 14, 2017.

BTW, if you're going to get and use some addons, I highly recommend Minion, the ESOUI addon installer and updater: https://www.minion.gg/

Totally my bad, I confused two discussions.
    It's an addon tracking dungeon bosses which is obsolete.

Sorry :)

PS: and yes, I'm using Minion.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,045
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Thanks to this thread (or maybe another on this site) that I learned about add-ons.  Now, if only WinZip hadn't blown up at me and demanded money, I'd have actively installed a few.  I'm really not anxious to spend $50 on a utility needed to open a file needed to enhance a game.  I haven't used WinZip since 2004, when I had more need for it.

Does anyone have recommendations for add-ons that don't require WinZip?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,283
    I did have that problem with the Curse client. It was riddled with outdated addons and no way to know unless you researched each addon. I'm trying the Minion client, but I hate managing multiple addon clients.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Thanks to this thread (or maybe another on this site) that I learned about add-ons.  Now, if only WinZip hadn't blown up at me and demanded money, I'd have actively installed a few.  I'm really not anxious to spend $50 on a utility needed to open a file needed to enhance a game.  I haven't used WinZip since 2004, when I had more need for it.

Does anyone have recommendations for add-ons that don't require WinZip?
    Minion does all the installing for you without need of anything else and it's an executable itself so no winzip needed to install it either.

BTW, 7-zip is also a good unzipper and it's free open source.
    TorvalMendelPhry
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,283
    This is your archive utility friend (imo): http://www.7-zip.org/  It's free as in beer and speech and is stable. It's good for small or large jobs.
    blueturtle13MendelJean-Luc_Picardwaynejr2Phry
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:
    This is your archive utility friend (imo): http://www.7-zip.org/  It's free as in beer and speech and is stable. It's good for small or large jobs.
    I'll join the praises for 7-Zip. Definitely the best, and free as a summer breeze.
    waynejr2TorvalPhry

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,045
    It's been a very long time since I needed a zip utility.  Not something I try to keep up-to-date on anymore.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I've been wondering about giving it a try again myself.

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    Athisar said:

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    The level cap is 50 but after that you accumulate Champion Points that work like the similar thing in Diablo3 and are account wide. All the mobs everywhere are set to level 50 / CP 160 and if you are below that, you get scaled to that level. The current CP max is 660 and they add to that by 30 points 3 or 4 times per year. The absolute CP max the system has is CP 3600 so it'll be a few years before that cap is useable.

The max gear is currently CP 160 and has been that way for quite a while with no immediate plans of raising it. 

― CD PROJEKT RED

__ Wizardry, 2020
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,744
    Mendel said:
    It's been a very long time since I needed a zip utility.  Not something I try to keep up-to-date on anymore.
    If you use windows 10, right click on the file and choose "extract all", no additional program needed. Pretty sure windows has done this for a long time for standard zip files.
    cmacq
    YashaX said:
    Mendel said:
    If you use windows 10, right click on the file and choose "extract all", no additional program needed. Pretty sure windows has done this for a long time for standard zip files.
    There are some issues with file permissions sometimes when using the built in unzip of windows. That's why we are always using 7zip at work and not that built in tool.
    Phry

Found a new hobby in game: getting the "Explorer" title!
    Took me quite a few hours, but I already did all the Cyrodiil and Pact ones.
    The amount and variety of dungeons in this game is impressive. Changes from the usual copy/paste caves of other games. There's an amount of world building work done in ESO which surpasses most if not all other MMORPGs.
    YashaXTorvalgervaise1

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,018
    ESO is good but i just can't get into it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Athisar said:

@Athisar REgarding your upgrade comment:

There is an upgrade path from Basic to Gold. ZoS released a 4 DLC pack at the same time - the only one excluded from the pack was last years dungeon DLC. Base cost is c. 50% of the individual DLCs and as you say they do have "50%" off sales. (And even though Imperial City is a mixed PvE-PvP zone it gives you access to some excellent PvE only instances. (Its fun as well but I know some folk dislike anything PvP.)
    Torval
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2017
    Iselin said:

I can understand the lack of a global AH. There is usually a "delay" searching on a (max 500 person) guild trader - when you are the only person searching on that trader.

Scale it up to 10s possibly 100k+ all potentially posting and searching on millions of items listed on the same AH and I suspect there would be uproar at the lag. (A lot of the big guilds quote millions of sales a week but whether this is fiction or real I have no idea). 

Would zone based AHs work? Or would everyone want to list items in just a few zones - which would defeat the object. However - maybe - zone traders will only deal in items that drop in their zone. And you have weapon traders (AHs); armour traders; basic material traders; housing traders  - maybe break it down even more. Have a row of clearly labelled shops / stalls essentially.

This might tackle some of the lag issues but probably not all. And it could end up so fractured / complex that people who dislike what exists now could remain unhappy. And - as @Iselin rightly says - there are those who have become very invested in the current system. Personally I am still of the opinion that with the One Tamriel patch you can do without AHs completely. (That is heresy of course.)

It is what it is I suppose. Different but arguably not one of ESOs "highlights".
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    gervaise1 said:
    Athisar said:

@Athisar REgarding your upgrade comment:

There is an upgrade path from Basic to Gold. ZoS released a 4 DLC pack at the same time - the only one excluded from the pack was last years dungeon DLC. Base cost is c. 50% of the individual DLCs and as you say they do have "50%" off sales. (And even though Imperial City is a mixed PvE-PvP zone it gives you access to some excellent PvE only instances. (Its fun as well but I know some folk dislike anything PvP.)
    I'd assume though that the upgrade in game is a lot more expensive than buying the gold edition in a sale. I'll probably give the game another go soon anyway.
    edited September 2017
    Well, I can say I'm hooked... the little Nord has already gone a long way.

And yeah, she got the Explorer title ! *happy dance*
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    IselinTorvalExcession