Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest "Next" = CANCELED. Bless Online = CANCELED. Lineage Eternal = Dev Team Replaced. COME ON!

Comments

• Brald_IronheartBrald_Ironheart Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I would say $20-25 a month if the game offers something players can't find anywhere else.  $30/month is possible if the game is also good, if not great.  But for $50/month the game would have to be well nigh perfect.  imo.

I would definitely be willing to pay $25 a month for a game that was consistently fun and didn't end up becoming a second job due to endless grinding.  With no cash shop/RMT/pay2win/pay extra for advantages, of course.
    Arclan
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
  • Siegecraft.orgSiegecraft.org Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I am enjoying this community haha. I am new.
    SteelhelmArclan
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would definitely be willing to pay $25 a month for a game that was consistently fun 
    spending $25 a month on the SAME game? I would much rather buying a new FUN game (at discount) for $25 every month, not that i have time to finish a game every month.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I'm looking for a game to have the balls to go with a $25 or even $49 sub. No cash shop cheese.  No sanctioned RMT.  Just a straight sub at a fair price.
    You are so right..Black Desert showed me why games need subs.  They have literally changed the game to appease steam users (which the steam users didn't even ask for).  They did it so that the new players will spend their money like all of the vets did, but the game just keeps getting worse and worse...sad.  If it was a sub, our money would mean as much as new players. but we all spent our money already...no more interest in cash grab cash shop games.
    Steelhelm

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

I would definitely be willing to pay $25 a month for a game that was consistently fun 
    spending $25 a month on the SAME game? I would much rather buying a new FUN game (at discount) for $25 every month, not that i have time to finish a game every month.
    Well, I was going to add something to my statement.  I also believe that once a game earns back it's initial investment, and has a large enough customer base, it should be able to lower the monthly payment.  This, I believe, would actually increase their income by attracting a larger amount of paying customers.  And it really depends on how fun the game the is.  Myself, I don't play that many games.  I have high standards, and I don't consider many games to be fun.  Not for long anyway.  

Arclan
    Roleplayinn.com - New forum for people who love role-playing of all kinds - tabletop/pencil & paper, live-action, and role-playing in mmorpgs.
    Hmm.

If 100k people pay you 25 a month you get 2.5 million

If 1 million people pay you 15 a month you get 15 million

If 2 million people pay you 10 a month you get 20 million

If 5 million people pay you 5 a month you get 25 million

So, you'd have to get 600k people to pay you 25 a month to earn as much as 1 million people paying you 15 a month.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Hmm.

If 100k people pay you 25 a month you get 2.5 million

If 1 million people pay you 15 a month you get 15 million

If 2 million people pay you 10 a month you get 20 million

If 5 million people pay you 5 a month you get 25 million

So, you'd have to get 600k people to pay you 25 a month to earn as much as 1 million people paying you 15 a month.
    Sure but how many sub games have 1M subscribers?  MMORPGs went off the rails trying to chase WOWs mass market appeal.   I
    Steelhelm

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    The community has reached a point where actually WANT a monthly sub of 30-40 dollars. This is just sad.
    @Slaphshot1188 - You're right.  Getting a million subscribers is a pipe dream for most mmorpg developers.  And no game is ever going to appeal to everyone.  Trying to make games that appeal to everyone is not a good idea, imo.  Developing a good niche game that will gather a loyal, paying customer base is a better I think.
    Arclan
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    $25-49 isnt a fair price....You'd be paying $300-600 a year just to play a video game....Most of us cant even justify paying $180 a year just to have access to a video game.....
    Not a fair price?  Don't play it if that's how you feel.  

When I play an MMORPG I play at LEAST 20 hours a week.  That's over 1000 hours a year.   Yeah if I am enjoying a game enough to play it for a year I think I can spring for 30 or 60 cents an hour (and that's on the high end... I'm sure many would play a lot more than 20 hours a week).

We already have more F2P games that I can count.   Go enjoy those all you want.  

I'm waiting for a game to have the balls to charge a real sub fee and ditch the cash shop/RMT cheese.  

The problem isn't money per month. It is quite literally because of a poor reception. Actually as it stands 15 a month from a lot of people is quite a lot considering they are highly profitable even after server expenses, bandwidth, and paying people. 
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    SirBalin said:
    I'm looking for a game to have the balls to go with a $25 or even $49 sub. No cash shop cheese.  No sanctioned RMT.  Just a straight sub at a fair price.
    You are so right..Black Desert showed me why games need subs.  They have literally changed the game to appease steam users (which the steam users didn't even ask for).  They did it so that the new players will spend their money like all of the vets did, but the game just keeps getting worse and worse...sad.  If it was a sub, our money would mean as much as new players. but we all spent our money already...no more interest in cash grab cash shop games.
    Did I not tell you that "Black Desert" would get worse lol?

The game had some serious potential, but using a Rootkit to protect itself as an Anti-Cheat, not having the proper security, and then even if a user does play the game making it F2P having to buy Inventory / Bank slots with real money, Locked Character classes, have to replace furniture that wears out in your house, and on top of all this buy costumes for every character...

Like I was playing Albion until the developer banned my account for trading my items across Arche Age, I know you remember that game LOL, but even that game has became its worst by allowing people to trade real money for virtual money, and the developer who comes here and accuse me refuse to answer my question about the game security how are they going to prevent (RMT) and people from committing fraud in their game with Real Credit Cards.

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why a MMORPG needs in game currency anyways there are some games like Second Life & Entropia  which promote Real Money trading, and online MMORPG games could be F2P but instead of currency being dropped by monsters be a Virtual Currency valued at an Exchange rate with (Real Money) and instead of giving users full access to buy $500 of stuff at one time they could only charge $100 every 2 weeks to put into a game until their account status is lifted thus preventing fraud on a huge scale as well as maybe restricting trading for 2 weeks on inital purchases for two weeks just to make sure there are no charge-backs.

So yeah, what are you going to play now balin?

Ahses OF Creation
    Crow Fall
    Go Back to DarkFall?

I know Dark Fall is an old game but I used to have a blast in the original game.

Im curious since BDO is getting worse, and worse just as I knew it would what MMO doesn't suck besides a few that I play which are currently casual MMO's but that is only because I haven't had the time to go back and play Dark Fall full time

I love the Korean gaming culture, and cosplay for starters but it seems that every Korean game I played turns into the cash grab that you talk about, I am not sure about Germany, but one game created over there Albion that I have played and the game turned out to be such as disappointment, and the backstabbing was real felt like the spy in Team Fortress 2, so not sure I feel like backing or playing anymore games from Korea, or Germany.

As much as I like the Art-Work and concepts I see from Korean games, as well as Japan based games like Final Fantasy series, which still feels dull and boring to me except for the original single player up to Final Fantasy X-2 there used to be so many great games I just don't know what happened.

I remember the early 2000's before Free 2 Play, existed, gaming experience was so much better.

Kefo
    edited July 2017
    "The free-to-play business model in online games was created by Nexon in Korea [9][10] The first game to use it was Nexon's QuizQuiz, released in October 1999, and made by Lee Seungchan, who would go on to create MapleStory.[11]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play, under the History section.

Curse you, Nexon.

"In the late 2000s, many MMOs transitioned to the free-to-play model from subscriptions,[18] including subscription-based games such as The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Dungeons & Dragons Online,[19] and Champions Online.[6] This move from a subscription based model to a free-to-play one has proven very beneficial in some cases. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a good example of a game that transitioned from subscription to free-to-play.[1] Turbine as of September 10, 2010 has given an F2P with Cash shop option to The Lord of the Rings Online which resulted in a tripling of profit.[20] Sony Online Entertainment's move to transition EverQuest from a subscription model into a hybrid F2P/subscription game was followed by a 125% spike in item sales, a 150% up-tick in unique log-ins, and over three times as many account registrations.[21]"  - from the same article

Interesting reading. 

A purely PVE MMORPG can be free-to-play and pay-to-win all it wants, but an MMORPG that has PVP and is pay-to-win is just ridiculous in my opinion.  Does it really feel good to beat other people in a game because I paid more money than them?  I don't think so.  I don't think it really feels good to beat someone else in a game just because I've played longer and have more levels and better gear either. 
    Post edited by Brald_Ironheart on
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2017
    "The free-to-play business model in online games was created by Nexon in Korea [9][10] The first game to use it was Nexon's QuizQuiz, released in October 1999, and made by Lee Seungchan, who would go on to create MapleStory.[11]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play, under the History section.

Curse you, Nexon.

"In the late 2000s, many MMOs transitioned to the free-to-play model from subscriptions,[18] including subscription-based games such as The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Dungeons & Dragons Online,[19] and Champions Online.[6] This move from a subscription based model to a free-to-play one has proven very beneficial in some cases. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a good example of a game that transitioned from subscription to free-to-play.[1] Turbine as of September 10, 2010 has given an F2P with Cash shop option to The Lord of the Rings Online which resulted in a tripling of profit.[20] Sony Online Entertainment's move to transition EverQuest from a subscription model into a hybrid F2P/subscription game was followed by a 125% spike in item sales, a 150% up-tick in unique log-ins, and over three times as many account registrations.[21]"  - from the same article

Interesting reading. 

A purely PVE MMORPG can be free-to-play and pay-to-win all it wants, but an MMORPG that has PVP and is pay-to-win is just ridiculous in my opinion.  Does it really feel good to beat other people in a game because I paid more money than them?  I don't think so.  I don't think it really feels good to beat someone else in a game just because I've played longer and have more levels and better gear either. 
    Thanks for the history, but its not that "Free 2 Play" is bad I know its not exactly a MMO, but lets look at how DOTA 2, and League OF Legends are both "Free 2 Play" and offer cosmetic options for sale, so does smite, except I don't really include smite as much because it uses RNG Boxes another thing that was banned in Japan because its basically gambling for items you want and you pay a certain amount of virtual currency which is obtained with Real Money to get a random item from a box.

This is something western MMO's decided to do and its not bad if done correctly but even ESO I am not fond of it for doing this because they have limited time items that don't go back up for sale put into chests and such which cant be bought any time.

So when it comes down to it F2P IMO isn't bad its the Developers and Publishers who get greedy and make it bad, Guild Wars 2 is an example of a game that isn't entirely bad although I don't like the way the cosmetic system doesn't allow people to freely change because it requires those transmog things which can only be obtained from the cash shop, rather than allowing people to just subscribe and freely change their appearance for (FREE) whenever a person wants to for example one of the down-sides to this game, as well as in game features like Bosses which don't show on the world maps and such.

GW2 still isn't as bad compared to some games I have played over the years.

edit: Also Nexon is one of the companies I don't exactly like they publish "Riders OF Icarus" which IMO is a poorly designed game, and Vindictus which could have been decent but the whole game is Pay 2 Enjoy and class locked, had the developers have actually been changing the game over the years and making it better as well as offering a subscription feature to be able to freely edit appearance at any time as long as you paid to unlock cosmetic items per account, then perhaps the game could have been a success, but as many times as I have installed Vindictus taken a look at it and seen the Gold Spam, nope game not improving.
    Yes, lockboxes are one of the worst features of free-to-play.  Gambling is regulated in most cases. 

I don't think free-to-play is the worst thing in the world, but I would rather pay a monthly fee and be on the same standard playing field as everyone else.  I just won't play a free-to-play MMORPG PVP game, period.  Unless they create a system that doesn't allow people to pay-to-win within the game.  If Chess started allowing people to pay $20 and start with two queens on the board, who would play it?

And yes, pay for everything we can think of.  Pay for bags (leatherworkers or tailors can't make them), pay for bank slots, pay for appearance changes.  Name changes, race changes, retraining tokens, server changes, fashion, etc., etc..  A 3D model or even just a graphic of an item that lands in a person's inventory that is created one time can make $12-35 (or whatever) thousands, potentially millions of times.
    Conversely, I don't mind losing a game or a match if I know that I have a reasonable chance of winning if I just do better next time.  It's not unfair to lose because I'm not as smart, not as skilled, or just didn't play the game as well that time as my opponent.  That's life.  There are some people that I may never beat no matter how hard I try because they're just too much better than I am.  That's okay too.  Probably better for me to avoid facing them at that point. 

As a real world example, say I'm competing with another guy or guys to win a woman's heart.  If I realize that the only reason I won is because I have more money, then I might decide that maybe that girl wasn't worth my time after all.  If I'm smart and/or wise.  That game wasn't worth my time.  The same goes for pay-to-win PVP games.  Imho.
    Okay, another Chess example I thought of related to PVP in most mmorpgs.  Having played an mmorpg longer usually means I win when it comes to PVP.  Because my character is higher level and/or has more powerful gear.  Or I'm able to twink a lower level character.

This would be the same as me saying that because I've played Chess for a few months or a few years longer than you (or whatever) my pawns are all able to move two spaces, my knights have longer range, my bishops can jump pieces, my rooks can be rebuilt after two rounds, my king can teleport, and my queen can switch places with a pawn whenever she wants.  You'd be like screw you, I'm not playing.  That's pretty much how ridiculous it is to use Dungeons & Dragons-style PVE systems for PVP.  Most of the fights are unfair.  I'm not saying that every fight in every mmorpg ever can or should be fair, but there are ways to make systems and mechanics that would produce a far more level playing field for PVP.  You really have to work hard or get lucky to find fair fights in the majority of PVP MMORPG games.
     I have high standards, and I don't consider many games to be fun.  Not for long anyway.  

If i buy a new game every month, it only needs to be fun for a month. "Not for long" is not a problem. 

@nariusseldon - But we're talking about mmorpgs.  And mmorpgs need to be fun for longer than a month.  Much better if they never stopped being fun.  I played a lot of kinds of games when I was a kid. but strategy war games and MMORPGs are the only types I really like to play now.  Single player war games are cool, but I would rather fight wars in a persistent virtual world.  Where my actions potentially had lasting effects.  That would be much more interesting.
    @DMKano - That can be true.  However, most mmorpgs nowadays are basically the same game with different IPs and a few different options and features here and there.  I would prefer if there were a larger variety of different kinds of mmorpgs that weren't mostly themeparks based on the EQ/WoW model.  I would also prefer if I only had to play one game to be consistently entertained.  Time is a more valuable commodity than money.  Money can be replaced more easily than time.

I'm not saying the world needs to cater to my particular, individual preferences.  But I don't think I'm alone in wanting these things.
    Steelhelm
    @nariusseldon - But we're talking about mmorpgs.  And mmorpgs need to be fun for longer than a month.
    says you. Just treat them like disposable single player game (with an online component) and one month is plenty.

mmorpgs does not "need" to be anything, except making money, from the dev point of view. 
    KyleranPhry

I'm not saying the world needs to cater to my particular, individual preferences.  But I don't think I'm alone in wanting these things.
    Clearly even if you are not alone, the group of gamers who want these things are not big enough to be on AAA dev's radar. Otherwise, you would already be getting what you want.

See .. i want a Dishonored 2 game .. and i got it, why? Because ENOUGH gamers want it. Or at least dev believed so. 
    KyleranPhry
    Well, I would pay more money for a game that entertained me for a longer period of time.  MMORPGs cost too much money to produce to be disposable.

Anyway, you yourself don't care if MMORPGs ever get any better than they are now?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    DMKano said:
    @nariusseldon - But we're talking about mmorpgs.  And mmorpgs need to be fun for longer than a month.  Much better if they never stopped being fun.  I played a lot of kinds of games when I was a kid. but strategy war games and MMORPGs are the only types I really like to play now.  Single player war games are cool, but I would rather fight wars in a persistent virtual world.  Where my actions potentially had lasting effects.  That would be much more interesting.

MMOs are fun more than a month - especially when you play several of them in rotation - this can go on for years and they are all fun.

What gets boring is playing a SINGLE MMO obsessively - this is why people burn out in 4-6 weeks and quit.

Variety is the spice of life.
    It depends why you play MMOs I guess. 

For me, the fun doesn't start until I hit endgame and the combat mechanics all start to come alive during group content, the pvp starts becoming balanced (because most of us are at the top of the power curve) and the community / social side of things becomes interesting. 

So, my enjoyment of MMOs is only possible over a long period of time and gets better and better the more I play with other people. If I cycled through MMOs, I would never enjoy any of them, all I would be able to do is consume content solo, but solo content in MMOs is terrible. 

But, that is just for my personal playstyle and gamers like me only used to make up 10%-25% of the community (no idea on current stats, but guessing worse given the direction of modern mmos). 
    edited July 2017
    The part that's supposed to be fun, endgame, in themepark endgame grinders isn't all that fun to me.  Not anymore.  And I've only seriously grinded long term in one endgame.  I don't see how people can do it over and over in multiple games.

It depends why you play MMOs I guess. 

I play any games for some quick fun, and whether it is a MMO is not important. In fact, i play most like a SP game anyway.