Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like ESO is now over the 10 Million units sold mark

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
Being a no sub required B2P game this is definitely nowhere near 10 million active but their E3 trailer is talking about the 10 million number for the first time that I've seen. The PC NA server is definitely hopping though and if you level a new character and do random dungeon PUGs you will see a lot of players brand new to the game.

They are also previewing what seems to be a couple of new dungeons in upcoming DLC: Horns of the Reach and Clockwork City.



"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

DistopiaOctagon7711MrMelGibson
«13

Comments

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    Oh and I just saw that they published some detail about the Horns of the Reach and Clockwork City DLCs today:

    Horns of the Reach will introduce two new dungeons (Bloodroot Forge and Falkreath Hold)

    Explore even more of Sotha Sil’s Clockwork City in this major new DLC game pack coming to ESO. Daedric forces are at work once again – and your help is needed to prevent disaster. With more than 10 hours of fresh content, Clockwork City will keep you busy later this year – and will have a few surprises in store. Clockwork City is a standard DLC game pack and does not require the user to have purchased Morrowind.

    https://bethesda.net/en/article/Q4uYy517UaosSsAicOiUA/eso-morrowind-new-dlc-announced


    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    10 million?

    That is the same number of sales of Rust + Ark
    How long has Ark been out?

    how many multi million dollar add campaigns with articles and guest appearances at major shows etc? zero
    IselinKyleranExcessionMrMelGibsonpostlarval

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    SEANMCAD said:
    10 million?

    That is the same number of sales of Rust + Ark
    How long has Ark been out?

    how many multi million dollar add campaigns with articles and guest appearances at major shows etc? zero
    And both LOL and Angry Birds beat that... your point?
    MrMelGibsonpostlarval
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've been having a lot of fun with the Warden.  Activity has definitely picked up and chat is always busy with lots of questions being asked about gameplay.  Big problems on some consoles with lag I've heard.  Being able to go anywhere and do some of my favorite quests at any level has been enjoyable.
    YashaXNyghthowler

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    10 million?

    That is the same number of sales of Rust + Ark
    How long has Ark been out?

    how many multi million dollar add campaigns with articles and guest appearances at major shows etc? zero
    And both LOL and Angry Birds beat that... your point?
    that 10 million sold for a hyper hype ultra expensive hype marketing machine for a game is not that impressive if it cant sell more games then Flappy Birds

    god you walked right into that
    [Deleted User]ZenislavGdemamiExcessionKyleranbaphametpostlarval

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,720
    edited June 2017
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.




  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,330
    I love my ESO. It's great! Still loving me some Morrowind!
    MrMelGibson
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,720
    edited June 2017
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    Hermod




  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    Call it whatever you want but what you got was a special discount on buying your console version and a copy of your characters, gold, etc. It was a one-time deal done just because the console version was delayed for a year. I know all about it because I did it too. I've also hardly touched my PS4 account because I find I like playing with my gaming mouse much more than the controller.

    That's not any kind of permanent transfer service nor was it ever. No one has been able to do that since that one time. I also doubt that there are enough of us who did that to make much difference to the overall numbers.

    It's just a milestone and continued growth since their number was announced as 7 million last June. Hardly worth making any kind of positive or negative big deal about it.


    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Elder Scrolls Legends is getting some love too with a huge new expansion Heroes of Skyrim. It will be released on June 29.



    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Yanocchi said:
    Elder Scrolls Legends is getting some love too with a huge new expansion Heroes of Skyrim. It will be released on June 29.



    its likely a fucking card game
    IselinExcessionDistopia

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    SEANMCAD said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Elder Scrolls Legends is getting some love too with a huge new expansion Heroes of Skyrim. It will be released on June 29.



    its likely a fucking card game
    No. It is EXACTLY the same fucking card game that's been out since March :)
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Elder Scrolls Legends is getting some love too with a huge new expansion Heroes of Skyrim. It will be released on June 29.



    its likely a fucking card game
    No. It is EXACTLY the same fucking card game that's been out since March :)
    why do they do that shit? like somehow we arent going to find out?
    GdemamiExcessionDistopiaMikeha

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    You did at least pay something so whatever, with units sold it isn't that important and $20 is still money. Active players would be a very different thing.

    Let's just hope that they are happy enough with the numbers sold and income to make a new MMO (Fallout maybe?).
    Hermod
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nyctelios said:
    Loke666 said:
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    You did at least pay something so whatever, with units sold it isn't that important and $20 is still money. Active players would be a very different thing.

    Let's just hope that they are happy enough with the numbers sold and income to make a new MMO (Fallout maybe?).
    Isn't ESO existence itself a result of BethesdaGS fighting against Bethesda and Zenimax against the latter making a FOmmo?
    ESO is 100000000% the baby child of everything Zenimax in house

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nyctelios said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Loke666 said:
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    You did at least pay something so whatever, with units sold it isn't that important and $20 is still money. Active players would be a very different thing.

    Let's just hope that they are happy enough with the numbers sold and income to make a new MMO (Fallout maybe?).
    Isn't ESO existence itself a result of BethesdaGS fighting against Bethesda and Zenimax against the latter making a FOmmo?
    ESO is 100000000% the baby child of everything Zenimax in house
    I meant the battle in court for the rights over a FO mmo where the 3 companies fought themselves over it.
    ahh sorry I was 'out of my element' there.. oops

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,758
    Nyctelios said:
    Loke666 said:
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    You did at least pay something so whatever, with units sold it isn't that important and $20 is still money. Active players would be a very different thing.

    Let's just hope that they are happy enough with the numbers sold and income to make a new MMO (Fallout maybe?).
    Isn't ESO existence itself a result of BethesdaGS fighting against Bethesda and Zenimax against the latter making a FOmmo?
    Do tell. I've never heard that story. Sounds like it would be an interesting corporate intrigue read.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Loke666 said:
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

    I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

    But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    You did at least pay something so whatever, with units sold it isn't that important and $20 is still money. Active players would be a very different thing.

    Let's just hope that they are happy enough with the numbers sold and income to make a new MMO (Fallout maybe?).
    Isn't ESO existence itself a result of BethesdaGS fighting against Bethesda and Zenimax against the latter making a FOmmo?
    Do tell. I've never heard that story. Sounds like it would be an interesting corporate intrigue read.
    its usually a very predictable plot with Zenimax being a dick
    Excession[Deleted User]

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    ExcessionYashaX
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Talonsin said:
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    1. Ark has been avaible for purchase for less time
    2. Ark is an Early Access title which alone scares a lot of people off
    3. Ark doesnt remotely have in the same universe level of marketing spending and stradegy as Elder Scrolls title has and YES that makes a huge difference
    4. Ark doesnt have name branding like 'elder scrolls'

    its more accurate to compare Ark to Flappy Birds
    ExcessionKryn

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Good for ESO , exceptional game ......
    ExcessionBisloboMrMelGibsonpostlarval
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,220
    It's good to see MMOs like ESO holding their own in a challenging market where the masses have all marched off to pursue other genres.
    ExcessionMrMelGibson

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,220
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    1. Ark has been avaible for purchase for less time
    2. Ark is an Early Access title which alone scares a lot of people off
    3. Ark doesnt remotely have in the same universe level of marketing spending and stradegy as Elder Scrolls title has and YES that makes a huge difference
    4. Ark doesnt have name branding like 'elder scrolls'

    its more accurate to compare Ark to Flappy Birds
    It is more accurate to compare MMORPG sales to other MMORPGs.
    Excession[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    1. Ark has been avaible for purchase for less time
    2. Ark is an Early Access title which alone scares a lot of people off
    3. Ark doesnt remotely have in the same universe level of marketing spending and stradegy as Elder Scrolls title has and YES that makes a huge difference
    4. Ark doesnt have name branding like 'elder scrolls'

    its more accurate to compare Ark to Flappy Birds
    It is more accurate to compare MMORPG sales to other MMORPGs.
    no its not.

    comparing the sales of Wurm to the sales of WoW or ESO is silly. THose games easily have marketing budgets larger then the entire development of a game like Wurm. 

    its delisional to think the two are in the same playing field when it comes to marketing
    ExcessionMrMelGibson

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

Sign In or Register to comment.