Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stormblood Preview - Dungeons, New Jobs & the Underwater World - Final Fantasy XIV Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageStormblood Preview - Dungeons, New Jobs & the Underwater World - Final Fantasy XIV Previews

A couple of weeks ago I attended a media event for Stormblood and spent the day playing in some of the new zones, trying out Samurai & Red Mage, checking out the new job gauges, and playing one of the new dungeons which will be coming with Stormblood. I also had the opportunity to interview Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi-P) to learn some more information not only about the expansion but also about some of their plans moving on past this expansion. SPOILERS AHEAD!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Ew, underwater gameplay zzzzzz.
    Viper482ScellowYashaX

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Thanks for the write up! I'm excited to try out the new expansion myself. I just resubbed to try and catch up before launch.

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Other MMO's have tried the underwater thing and they didn't really work. Maybe SE will get it right.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Does anyone like being forced to do underwater crap?

Scellow
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    YES! i Love underwater zones
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    The first two videos are not working. The last one still works (the one showing the transition to go underwater).
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    The first two videos are not working. The last one still works (the one showing the transition to go underwater).
    Found this on the same youtube account:

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Dragnelus said:

Found this on the same youtube account:

Yea that's supposed to be what the first video is... I'll poke around and get it fixed. Not sure what went wonky there ><
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

PsYcHoGBR said:

Other MMO's have tried the underwater thing and they didn't really work. Maybe SE will get it right.

Well given there will be no Combat id say that is the step in the correct direction. Its for gathering and exploring.
    Arlee
  • DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Kedge Keep Memories coming back! Oh what a fun zone that was. I almost want to come back and try this expansion out. Tried to log in and play some the otherday and just couldn't get into the game still. :(
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496

Viper482 said:

Does anyone like being forced to do underwater crap?

Yes, in fact, I would love a game that does just that.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Really wish you would have zoomed in more during your combat with both classes. Was hard to see much as you were zoomed so far out. Other than that, thanks for the videos. I'm on the verge of preordering
    Arlee
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited May 2017
    also preferred the Samurai’s style to Red Mage because the animations on the Samurai were really smooth and all the skills seemed like they seamlessly flowed from one to the next. Also, there were a fair amount of spell effects on the Samurai but none were really flashy whereas on the Red Mage everything felt flashy and showy which is just not very interesting to me. As I mentioned previously my discomfort on the Red Mage probably is one reason why the animation probably felt less smooth to me because I likely wasn’t matching up the abilities correctly at all.

of course because u didnt used well the rdm , hardcasting a 4.5s casting spell? thats a nono , dualcast exist from lvl 1 for a reason , u cast a fast cast spell like jolt so u gain dualcast (next spell is instant cast) and u gain white/black magic to do your melee chain , there are procs too enhanced verfire , enhanced verstone ect

the job animations are amazing :)

sam looks tons of fun too, underwater zones have "bubbles" that u can enter and walk , i dont think there is combat underwater at all...u just swim around , fight zones are in those bubbles
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I for one am looking forward to underwater zones. Kedge Keep from EverQuest is one of my all time favorite zones.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

Aalamr said:

I for one am looking forward to underwater zones. Kedge Keep from EverQuest is one of my all time favorite zones.

I agree with you on that, kedge was one of my favorite zones, however in this expansion there will be no combat in the water :( It'll be all exploration
    Aalamr
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Underwater exploration is fun. Underwater combat is never fun.
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98

Aalamr said:

I agree with you on that, kedge was one of my favorite zones, however in this expansion there will be no combat in the water :( It'll be all exploration

Thats a shame. I would have loved another epic boss fight like Phinny. :(
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Yeah, I was reading somewhere that Red Mage has a "Chain Spell" trait. It basically means that whenever you cast a spell, the next one is an instant cast. This leads me to believe you cast a very short spell first, then use one that would normally take 5 seconds to cast. You also gain resources that allow for you to use your rapier.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I do love me some underwater world for sure but too lazy to dust off my White Mage.

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Welp, looks like they've not gotten any more creative with their dungeon design... Linear paths of trash mobs.. boss fights in round arenas. But lots of pretty scenery!

Yep... More of the same.