Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major Changes, Job Changes, Role Based Actions & More - Final Fantasy XIV Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageMajor Changes, Job Changes, Role Based Actions & More - Final Fantasy XIV Videos - MMORPG.com

The latest Final Fantasy XIV Letter from the Producer Live has completed and, as usual, it is packed with an almost overwhelming amount of information. With Stormblood literally around the corner, players have a lot of new information to process.

Read the full story here

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    skip scenario for 42Dollar to play stormblood. pay 40 dollar to play Stormblood. So for a newcomer to jump into the action, it costs double the amount.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Wow. I was expecting some ability pruning similar to what WoW did, but nothing on this scale. This looks like an entire rework. Interested to see how it turns out. I think FFXIV's combat is one of the weaker aspects of the game so I am hopeful it will be an improvement.
  • TheScoxTheScox Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I watched the entire Live Letter, these changes are going to be awesome. Yoshi-P and team have made some very wise changes. As for the jump potions, this is similar to WoW selling level 100 character boosts for $60. If someone wants both story and a job boost it will cost $50. My gaming community tried at the launch of Heavensward to start up a Free Company, it was very difficult since our new players just didn't want to stick around and grind all the old content while the veteran players were in the new relevant content. Now they have options. My only suggestion would be they include both Story and Job jump potions with the purchase of the Stormblood expansion and not have it a separate fee. That would make the game much more accessible to new players.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    It looks like PVP will be more about skill than about gear. While this seems obvious, it doesn't seem to work that often in other games. I've yet to try PVP in FFXIV. Looking forward to giving it a try with these new changes.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    The spell/action animations in this game are amazing. I just watched the video and wow...
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    The pvp changes are interesting and will definitely see more people returning (for melee at least since that's what they showed). As for the pve, stuff is alright, but the main issue is that they arent doing passives, which will result in them having the same exact issue of ability bloat in the next expansion. Real lack of forethought. Also, its kind of sad since paladins STILL wont be taken since they still wont have enough dps compared to other tanks. The main issue with end game fights isn't survivability as much as it is the meaningless dps checks in almost every fight. BUT this should be somewhat quelled since healer dps will be derived directly from mnd and cleric stance will be an active ability from role selection as opposed to a stance, so we'll see if there's more diversity in endgame comp. Also no more casting ranged physical dps, praise the Twelve.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    As white mage at the moment I have about 32 skills I use its annoying I hope they cut them down to like 20 skills per job or less. Quality over quantity please, less skills more effective. This is a game where you can play every class with 1 character but having so many skills makes it hard switching between them cause you won't remember rotations.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited May 2017

exile01 said:

skip scenario for 42Dollar to play stormblood. pay 40 dollar to play Stormblood. So for a newcomer to jump into the action, it costs double the amount.

There is a mistake in articulation with the source that may cause the readers to think something different:

The $25 version covers both ARR and Heavensward, so you don't need to pay for both separately.

There are also a lot of changes to each role and class specifically that I may write something up on. Healers will be interested to know that you no longer need Cleric Stance as MND is now what calculates damage for you. In addition, Cleric Stance itself will be turned into a DPS cooldown and you no longer need to stance dance.

Archers and Machinists no longer have a casting time level 52+ (No idea why they made them so alike one another in the first place; having one with the cast ability and the other without would have been ideal to make them feel different). Which is good, as most of the changes in Heavensward were for the worst with most classes in terms of abilities. BRD and MCH made no sense and DRG is just a hot mess of gambling. BLM being a statue didn't help either. Though luckily they're fixing all that up and focusing on maneuverability with both PvE and PvP now.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    What do they mean by a jump potion? Does that mean that character levels up to max level for $25 to play Stormblood?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited May 2017
    Tokken said:
    What do they mean by a jump potion? Does that mean that character levels up to max level for $25 to play Stormblood?

More details on it here:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7171593/#Comment_7171593

You are able to skip the 300+ hours of storyline that comes before Stormblood and jump right in,  essentially.  Wouldn't recommend it personally as you'll be buying the game just to buy a way to not need to play the game.  The best deal would probably be purchasing the jump potion that brings a single class up to level 60.  Then use that to blast through the storyline.  You'll also be able to unlock the Samurai and Red Mage at level 50, so you can instantly transfer to one of those and play ARR + Heavensward + Stormblood as a new class in that capacity (I believe).

The "skip story" thing is just for those who only want to play Stormblood Exclusively (60-70 content).  Though it could be useful getting past 2.1-2.5 patched content once you're there and dive straight into Heavensward (after looking in your Inn room and watching the cutscenes you missed -- note that you'll still miss story as not everything is in a cutscene).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited May 2017

Tokken said:

More details on it here:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7171593/#Comment_7171593

You are able to skip the 300+ hours of storyline that comes before Stormblood and jump right in,  essentially.  Wouldn't recommend it personally as you'll be buying the game just to buy a way to not need to play the game.  The best deal would probably be purchasing the jump potion that brings a single class up to level 60.  Then use that to blast through the storyline.  You'll also be able to unlock the Samurai and Red Mage at level 50, so you can instantly transfer to one of those and play ARR + Heavensward + Stormblood as a new class in that capacity (I believe).

The "skip story" thing is just for those who only want to play Stormblood Exclusively (60-70 content).  Though it could be useful getting past 2.1-2.5 patched content once you're there and dive straight into Heavensward (after looking in your Inn room and watching the cutscenes you missed -- note that you'll still miss story as not everything is in a cutscene).

Thanks for the information. I just want to buy the job level jump but will do the storyline on my own. I just bought the game recently.....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited May 2017
    Tokken said:

Tokken said:

Thanks for the information. I just want to buy the job level jump but will do the storyline on my own. I just bought the game recently.....

@Tokken

You'll very likely be towards the end of Heavensward by the time the 16th rolls around for the Stormblood pre-orders.  Patch 2.1-2.3 (once you beat the main ARR story at level 50) is pretty much filler, such just brace for it.  The story picks up in patch 2.3.5 content and leads into Heavensward.

If you haven't done so already, you should pre-order Stormblood for additional bonuses such as:

Early Access on the 16th (game releases on the 20th).

In-game pet.

Earrings that gives you +30% experience per kill, up to level 50 (there are many items like this in game, such as completing the new player tutorial at level 15 which rewards you with a ring with the same effect).
    Tokkenmarganculos