Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Impressive Look at New Moondial Effects - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited May 2017
    LeFantome said:
    Akulas said:
    Is the game even out yet? I've had a vague look at it a year or so ago and wasn't much impressed. When it comes out I'll give it a fair go since I paid (I think it was $50) so might as well get something out of it but doesn't really look like it will hold my interest for too long.

No, the game is not out yet. And it didn't really change in a year.  ~Shrugs~

It launched, no more wipes, they collect revenue for it.

It is "out" for all purposes, just a shell of a MMO.
    GaendricDistopiaMustaphaMondRawynLeFantomeEarthgirlbcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    LeFantome said:
    Akulas said:
    Is the game even out yet? I've had a vague look at it a year or so ago and wasn't much impressed. When it comes out I'll give it a fair go since I paid (I think it was $50) so might as well get something out of it but doesn't really look like it will hold my interest for too long.

Yeah that about sums it up, the game gives new meaning to the phrase "make your own fun"....
    RawynbcbullyMadFrenchieOzmodan

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I only needed to see the cash shop and high price to get into the game on an even fair keel to see this operation is a shyster operation intent on ripping off anyone naive enough to pour money into their pockets.

I will never give a dime to any developer who wants to build a game.Get your own money and PROVE to me you can build a solid game,then i will be wiling to buy it and support it but NOT if any cash shop exists.

In PC mmorpg games there is a long time commitment to build up your character and spend at every interval along the way.In other genres you simply buy a ship and instantly your in,simply spend 150 bucks and your in the TCG fold right away,moba's simply buy several heroes and instantly you can get a feel for the one you like.

Point being that everything is aiming at p2w gaming,difference is mmorpg's take too long and p2w gamer's want INSTANT rewards not time and effort.

Bottom line is that money has completely ruined everything that gaming genres stand for,now it is money before the game is made,money during and money after and a cash shop open for business 24/7.

This game aims at the worst section of gaming,grinding money every step of the way ,INSTEAD of delivering a game/product FIRST,the way legit businesses do it.I have ZERO respect for developers taking money from people WITHOUT a finished product.
    MustaphaMondLeFantomeRawynbcbullyNildenIce-QueenEarthgirl

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    nobody will ever crowdfund a game from Richard Garriett again they are liars!
    MustaphaMondLeFantomeRawynKezAzzameanOzmodanNildenpostlarvalIce-Queen
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    Kyleran said:
    LeFantome said:
    Akulas said:

From this point of view, yes you're right. It's not officialy release  , still in beta. But yeah, no more wipes and collecting as much cash as they can.  Yep.

Rawyn

digriz602 said:
    Might behoove you if you didn't insult potential sources of money. Just saying. Then you also wouldn't have to apologize to your customers.

He should be apologizing for that abomination of a combat system instead.
    Apologizing? LOL he doesn't know what that means. He doesn't have any successful game under the belt.  But he still thinks, he's good enough to do the job.
    RawynKezAzzameanMustaphaMondIce-Queen

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2017
    It's decorative and trackscelestial events, that at some point that will be helpful for special items/events/special mobs or drops/gathering gathering mats at certain times or something. Heck we don't really know exactly cause they mostly work on uncloning scenes and putting crap in the add on store. Most news about this game is usually hey buy new stuff for the add-on store, here's a uncloned scene, or hey here's a player owned town to look at.

There aint much of a real game here just basic systems and not much content, which be fine if they weren't persistent already no more wipes, 4 years in already, and they are at 80% done. Theyre basically done but gotta put some spit shine here and there. They got a new dev to make quests which means they prob be sticking a bunch of collecting quests in now to try fill it out. They dont put much work into much in this game. Expect the bare min. They'll hide behind EA as long as they can this turd of a game was persistent July 2016

Iselin said:
    Is this moondial just decorative or does it have a game play purpose other than decorating?

Post edited by Rawyn on
    LeFantomeMustaphaMond
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, here is (at least was) one possible costumer that is definitely never touching the game after what I read here.

Thanks for the community for the insightful comments.
    Do you believe everything you are told? Can you not make up your own mind? Damn i feel for you
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sephros said:
    Sephros said:

Ok, guys, lesson learned. Don't dare ever post on MMORPG and suggest that people here aren't constructive because they attack anyone who dares post something positive. To verify that I don't dare make that mistake again, I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.

Pretty much why I and most people I know don't use this site very much anymore. Just asshole trolls foaming at the mouth waiting to talk shit on the next article/post with their holier than tho I'm God attitudes.

Back to the SotA forums with ya, mate. You and the rest of your buddies have no trouble treating anyone who disagrees with you like shit over there, but one of your keepers comes over here and gets trashed and you go all butt hurt over it.

For all the self-absorbed posturing about virtues over on the SotA forums, you people are like rabid wolves once the chains of your moderator are off. Virtues my ass, you're no better than any other forum poster on any other site.

Go back and lick Chris' wounds for him. Maybe he'll give you a cookie. 

Must have struck a nerve with this one.  Way to prove my point for me.
    You come to these forums huffing and puffing and calling people here asshole trolls and then try and suggest a nerve has been struck?

Way to prove MY point. You're the poster boy for the ever-so-upstanding SotA community. What a joke.
    MustaphaMondbcbullyRawynKezAzzamean

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    edited May 2017
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, here is (at least was) one possible costumer that is definitely never touching the game after what I read here.

Do you believe everything you are told? Can you not make up your own mind? Damn i feel for you

Well, if you must hear it from the developers.... here you go. :) Start watching around time 41m and you can watch Richard Garriott talk through how the Kickstarter was "smoke and mirrors" and how they use the Unity asset store exclusively.  Then just swing by the site and check out the add-on store and the RMT forums.  Grab yourself a free trial (or wait for launch, I suspect it'll be F2P by then) and just try it out for yourself.

... and still waiting to hear which asset pack the moondials come from, I'd like to use them in one of the games I'm building.

LeFantomeRawynMustaphaMondKezAzzamean
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

Well, if you must hear it from the developers.... here you go. :) Start watching around time 41m and you can watch Richard Garriott talk through how the Kickstarter was "smoke and mirrors" and how they use the Unity asset store exclusively.  Then just swing by the site and check out the add-on store and the RMT forums.  Grab yourself a free trial (or wait for launch, I suspect it'll be F2P by then) and just try it out for yourself.

... and still waiting to hear which asset pack the moondials come from, I'd like to use them in one of the games I'm building.

This doesn't really sound like "smoke and mirrors" it sounds like business people deciding which direction to go.

I've worked for startups and this is what it sounds like. Not a lot of money, so "what do we do".

Nothing here sounded out of the ordinary from all my years working in companies. Which begs the question "where do players work and have they never had experience in small companies/startups?"
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Sovrath said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

This doesn't really sound like "smoke and mirrors" it sounds like business people deciding which direction to go.

I've worked for startups and this is what it sounds like. Not a lot of money, so "what do we do".

Nothing here sounded out of the ordinary from all my years working in companies. Which begs the question "where do players work and have they never had experience in small companies/startups?"

Richard Garriott calls what they did for the Kickstarter smoke and mirrors... his words.  Start watching at time 47m and about 15 seconds in he says it.  Watch for a few more minutes and you'll hear him take credit for a cloth simulator they bought from the Unity asset store and then they have a laugh.  I don't think that's ordinary at all.
    RawynLeFantomeMustaphaMondbcbully
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    SBFord said:
    Echoing @Torval here: Stick to the topic at hand. If you've lost the train of the conversation, go back to the first post. If you can't stay on topic and want to keep beating each other up, do it in PMs.

I'm thinking its time to start handing out the foam bats and let everyone have at it. ;)
    blorpykinsRawynSlapshot1188MustaphaMondDistopia

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sovrath said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

Not the startup I work for. We actually have our shit together. The last startup was the same. Be more discerning about who you work for. 
    Rawyn[Deleted User]MustaphaMondKezAzzamean

Nyctelios said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

If you mean that I'd make my mind after researching facts and opinions of it's playerbase rather than living in my own fantasy bubble of fixed mindset to defend an agenda. Yes, I do.
    You said "after what you have read on here"

Peoples opinions and comments are NOT facts lol

Keep trying haha
    Nyctelios said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

If you mean that I'd make my mind after researching facts and opinions of it's playerbase rather than living in my own fantasy bubble of fixed mindset to defend an agenda. Yes, I do.
    You said "after what you have read on here"

Peoples opinions and comments are NOT facts lol

Keep trying haha
    Thats why you get a lot of information and try to find truth amidst them. Find common points that stick out.

You should play L.A. Noire some day.
    Nah i didnt like LA Noire, but thats just my opinion ;)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Sovrath said:
    Voidfarer said:
    Nyctelios said:

Not the startup I work for. We actually have our shit together. The last startup was the same. Be more discerning about who you work for. 
    Sometimes you don't know until you are "there".

However, the point is that things happen in business. So one startup I worked for had an idea and it went well for a while and then suddenly they realized that over time it wasn't going to work.

sooooo ... They realized that there was one aspect of their business that was working, changed gears to focus on it and ended up being more successful (and of course selling to a large multi-national corporation ... erm "good for them")

I would say the people who don't have their shit together sit around with their thumbs up their bums and don't know how to steer the ship into better waters.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Raquis said:

That's for sure man.

Rawyn

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    LeFantome said:
    Raquis said:

That's for sure man.

I can't wait to see what whales they got left flip out when they go free to play, watch them get ticked off when their player owned towns are still empty a year from now, and all the sad blame game excuses of whos fault it was, and why it failed and then the tears when this game closes down. Watching this trainwreck is way funner than the game is, we just can't look away lol.
    LeFantome
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I started the trial a few weeks ago. Been having fun so far. When I gave it a preliminary thumbs up on steam, I got lots of ranting comments about how I suck, my opinion sucked, I'm a loser, a blind backer, etc. It was surprising that there was so much anger and hate, but then again - I haven't followed the development at all and don't have any context of what the past promises were to the backers, etc. 

It is grindy and feels a bit clunky - but for some strange reason, I'm having fun. I like wandering around, grinding out skills and collecting mats to craft. I like having no classes. But stating that I was having fun sure did receive a lot of hate fast. 

As for add-on prices, those houses and lots are really really expensive. If there truly is no way to earn these in the game, that will really suck and may kill it for me. There are however, many items in the $2-$10 range, at least for house decorations - so I'm not sure where the comments about everything being a minimum of $20 comes from. I will never pay hundreds of dollars to own a virtual house. Back in UO days, friends were buying mini-towers on ebay for hundreds and I personally wouldn't do that. There are plenty of house lots that are empty, all over the place in this game, maybe real money is the only way to get them??

The in game community has been really fun to play with, got into a large guild right away. The guild master gave me a free room in his gigantic mansion guild house, I can store stuff and decorate it however I want. If not for this, I'd probably have less fun - as home ownership and decor seem to be a main focus.

I've only tried archery mostly, so can't comment on how the other combat types feel. The deck system seems to have a lot of hate, but you can actually drag skills onto your hotbar and bypass the random skill popup thingy, or just leave a few slots open for the randoms to appear. I like being able to train healing and magic while mainly focusing on archery. There is a skill XP pool that needs to be filled up from killing mobs or questing, then using a skill uses that XP to level the skill. This seems to be a way to encourage party griding and to not allow players to just afk train a skill all day.

Instanced zones seems to be a step backwards in time, not sure how I feel about that part. Loading screens suck on my laptop. I've only played for about 30 hours so far, so can't comment on how long term playing will go. Might burn out, might not. 

• JoviexJoviex Member UncommonPosts: 5
     I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.
    Signed in just to say, good riddance.
    LeFantomepostlarvalIce-QueenMustaphaMondRawyncover2xy
    Joviex said:
     I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.

He did not. But eh..
    Ice-QueenJamesGoblin

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Joviex said:
    Long time no chat...good to see you are still alive.
    postlarvalIce-QueenMustaphaMondcover2xyJamesGoblin
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

It is grindy and feels a bit clunky - but for some strange reason, I'm having fun. I like wandering around, grinding out skills and collecting mats to craft. 

Prepare to do this until the end of time, because that's all there is to the game.

postlarvalIce-QueenRawyn
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited May 2017

Prepare to do this until the end of time, because that's all there is to the game.

Thanks for the heads up warning. It does feel like it will only be this. Not sure how long that will keep me interested. In UO days, all I did was grind and decorate my house. But back then, there wasn't much else to play really.