Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Impressive Look at New Moondial Effects - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is this moondial just decorative or does it have a game play purpose other than decorating?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Iselin said:
    Is this moondial just decorative or does it have a game play purpose other than decorating?
    Yea i would like to know the same :)
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115

LOL!
    This is the most childish thing I've ever seen come from a tech director of any gaming company. What a wonderful thing for all players to see. We have given constructive feedback for years!!! But Portalarium just plugged their ears and listened only to the huge mega donors. Now they wonder why people HATE their game. You think we backed your game in 2013 and wanted to see it fail?! We wanted nothing more than to see it be successful and blow our expectations. We wanted that great Ultima/UO spiritual successor. Instead you gave us the worst MMO I have ever seen with a budget at that level. 

"SUCK IT,  MMORPG GAMERS"
    ~ Chris Spears, Technical Director of Shroud of the Avatar

Isn't funny how they came to that conclusion....yes we begged for LB to make a game so that we could watch it fail....the severe amount of stupid in that is beyond anything I can think of...

Here is a wonderful comment on the main forums he said about this, folk he is not done eating his foot yet:

"Oh, no! The personal attacks were on an external website where I jumped in to defend a fan who suggested they liked SOTA and was immediately mauled by trolls. :/ I jumped in they immediately turned on me and then decided to go after Starr and others on the team personally. *sigh* "

Newsflash....dude we paid for you to make a game, you made something different for the high backers and now you have a crap game that we wish we could get our money back....feel free to pay me my cash back and I will let you have your little fantasy faire crap.
    MustaphaMondEarthgirlAlomarLeFantome
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    rune_74 said:

LOL!
    This is the most childish thing I've ever seen come from a tech director of any gaming company. What a wonderful thing for all players to see. We have given constructive feedback for years!!! But Portalarium just plugged their ears and listened only to the huge mega donors. Now they wonder why people HATE their game. You think we backed your game in 2013 and wanted to see it fail?! We wanted nothing more than to see it be successful and blow our expectations. We wanted that great Ultima/UO spiritual successor. Instead you gave us the worst MMO I have ever seen with a budget at that level. 

Isn't funny how they came to that conclusion....yes we begged for LB to make a game so that we could watch it fail....the severe amount of stupid in that is beyond anything I can think of...

Here is a wonderful comment on the main forums he said about this, folk he is not done eating his foot yet:

"Oh, no! The personal attacks were on an external website where I jumped in to defend a fan who suggested they liked SOTA and was immediately mauled by trolls. :/ I jumped in they immediately turned on me and then decided to go after Starr and others on the team personally. *sigh* "

Newsflash....dude we paid for you to make a game, you made something different for the high backers and now you have a crap game that we wish we could get our money back....feel free to pay me my cash back and I will let you have your little fantasy faire crap.
    Simple!!! The game isnt finished yet
    LeFantome
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    If Chris comes back, please tell us which Unity asset pack the moondials came from!  Thanks!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2017
    Well, gonna chime in here , we had a very similar discussion about the statues a while ago , and i dont get the uproar ..

NOBODY has to buy this stuff its Deco , and they can charge whatever the fuck they want ,that is how our system works last i checked , They can ask whatever they want you dont have to buy it ...

Also if look into they did put alot of work into the asset adding many effects , and they do need to add to THERE World on THERE server , and have every right to charge what they want .. And any consumer has the right to not Purchase it .. I dont get the whiny twat shit over it .. Let it go man .. Life is to short to get upset over a deco item that SOTA is selling..

NOw as for the game itself , and am i huge Ultima fan played all the series back to Alkabeth and UO for 20 years , Really had/have hopes they can pull it off ( i have my doubts on the direction)..

That being said there are some really good parts to SOTA ,but the experience is offputting and lacking immersion at this point , which is surprising considering RG and his teams previous work ..Im hoping that the development moves forward and adresses some of the issues (like crazy load screens .. my god )

i dont support SOTA(yet have sat on the fence since its announcement) i also dont care what any game sell cosmetic shit like this , WTF does anyone care really , Then dont buy it ,I can bag my dogs shit and put on table in front of my house for 50$ , and noone has to buy it , but why anyone would to spend there time and energy whining like a twat about it is pretty stupid .. Dont like it .. DOnt Buy It , Dont Support it , very simple but the nerdrage and crying over it in thread is pretty weak .. Go do something fun with your time , why waste time and energy on something you have no interest in or care about ..

Im guessing everyone here plays these games to have fun ... So go have fun instead of wasting your fuggin time cryin on forums all day about Deco items that noone has to buy ...

But yes the member of the SOTA team also was out of line and should show better composure and restraint ... Was very Derek Smart like ... Not the company anyone should want to be connected to in the gaming community

aight back to Project Gorgon .....................for some fun
    MustaphaMond[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan
  • KezAzzameanKezAzzamean Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited May 2017
    There are so many critical things wrong with this game. Out of the last 20 reviews on Steam, only 5 were positive. That is a sign that people are unhappy. Just look here! It is often said by Portalarium that constructive feedback is something they want to hear. So here is some. These are 10 reasons I think SoTA should address. 

1. Cash wall - You will never own those keeps or castles like you did in UO. They were bought and paid for in the sum of over $10,000. You can never have one. If you are okay with never even having a chance of owning one of those, then proceed on.

2. Instanced world - Everything is instanced. It takes about a minute to run across most instances. When you leave you get a loading screen that takes about the same time to load than it did running across the entire instance. You are then on an overland map like Final Fantasy 7. And yes, there are bandits and random encounters if you run into them. Those take you into another instance. Complete destruction of immersion. The traveling is just not fun. I cannot understand why this method was done.

3. No caps. Players who have the most time to play are the most powerful. There is little to no skill involved in this - although there is some. If you play the most, you win the most. How fun does that sound? Want to play for only 10 hours a week? Hah, you can never be competitive. You will never catch up to others who play more. 

4. Cash shop - This will be heavily advertised and they send you a gazillion emails about buying items from their cash shop. Houses are in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. Decorations are around $50 each. For their cheaper items, it still gets expensive. Before you know it, you just spent a few hundred to decorate your $500 dollar house. If you pay the most, then you have the best house. Okay, who cares about decorations. Don't like it, don't buy it. Except.. I would like to own a house and not pay a few hundred for it. 

5. Questing - This has the worst questing I have ever seen in an MMO - by far. I finished the love quest and was speechless. There are gaps to fill in between the main quests. Meaning if you finish one scene, you must go grind for about 50+ hours to be able to do the next. It is uninspiring. The writing doesn't pull you in. You don't ever seem to care. It doesn't help there is no voice acting either. As for side quests, they are almost non-existant. They are worse than the main quests. You also get no real reward from these quests. It is better to go grind than the quest in terms of reward and xp.

6. Character customization - This doesn't exist. Everyone looks the same. Some people have different skin color though. The hair and beards can be different as well, but they look like someone scribbled them on in Windows Paint. That is no exaggeration. 

7. Already persistent - I get why they did this (because people started to quit playing due to wipes), but that doesn't make it right. The world will have no more wipes. For everyone that exploited those bugs, they keep their reward from it. So not only do you face people who have sunk in much more time than you, but you also face those that did that AND exploited issues.

8. Housing - This has been somewhat addressed, but lets go further. To buy a house you need to purchase a deed and a lot for it to go on. The lot costs real life money. I believe the cheapest one is around $85. It is basically like a storage shed. Then you have to purchase the house for it. Now that you can buy with in game gold as well as in the cash shop. You can enter a raffle to win a free lot deed once a month. However, even THAT is broken. It is a well known issue where whales buy multiple deeds to lower the chance that the average player can get one. Housing also has just a horrible look to in in towns. They look out of place and have ridiculous decorations outside. It is just a cluster of a mess on how it looks. Anything more than a storage shed and you get into the hundreds of dollars....

9. Grinding - That is all there is to do. It is grind, grind, and grind. This was the primary reason I left. I couldn't believe that all I could do is kill bears at Ulfheim. That was it. For the next probably 100 hours of game play until I was powerful enough to do other things. Other things such as grind other places... man. The grind is unreal.

10. Crafting - Crafting is hidden behind mobs. Remember in UO how you could have a character that was just a crafter (you know because there were caps and gave reason for multiple toons)? Well, that isn't so here! If you want to craft you will have to gather those resources that are behind mobs. Oh yes, and you will gather a lot. I mean... a lot. Like... hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of hours of gathering. Prepare to spend many of nights in Elysium or Specrtal to do nothing but kill mobs and mine over and over and over. There isn't anything else to do.

There are just 10 reasons. That is my constructive feedback for developers and players in the SoTA community. The depressed feeling of being behind a cashwall, never being able to attain what others have, and have nothing to do but grind is pretty much the reasons I quit. 

I've never had to complain about being outpriced in a game before. I've always paid subscriptions and not complained. In SWTOR, I paid subscriptions AND their cash shop. Never a peep from me. But SoTA just demands so much and is relentless. It feels like instead of trying to gather small amounts from massive amounts of players, they want massive amounts from a small amount of players. Which is why their numbers are so low. I mean, maybe its 500 players? Maybe 600, 700? We are talking hundreds of players. Even if they only had a few THOUSAND players, that is still unbelievably low. This is supposed to be an MASSIVELY multiple player role playing game. 

So do with this as you want. Call me a troll. Tell me I am wrong. It is just my perspective on the game. Nothing I have said hasn't been reiterated a hundred times before. This list isn't something unique to only me. If you believe the list is wrong, then why are so many people feeling that it isn't incorrect. Do something about it?

On a positive note the graphics have improved a bit. The water is still awful.. among other things, but it has improved.
    Post edited by KezAzzamean on
    IselinSlapshot1188MustaphaMondEarthgirlblorpykinsLeFantomeAlomar[Deleted User]KyleranManWithNoTan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There are so many critical things wrong with this game. Out of the last 20 reviews on Steam, only 5 were positive. That is a sign that people are unhappy. Just look here! It is often said by Portalarium that constructive feedback is something they want to here. So here is some. These are 10 reasons I think SoTA should address. 

1. Cash wall - You will never own those keeps or castles like you did in UO. They were bought and paid for in the sum of over $10,000. You can never have one. If you are okay with never even having a chance of owning one of those, then proceed on.

2. Instanced world - Everything is instanced. It takes about a minute to run across most instances. When you leave you get a loading screen that takes about the same time to load than it did running across the entire instance. You are then on an overland map like Final Fantasy 7. And yes, there are bandits and random encounters if you run into them. Those take you into another instance. Complete destruction of immersion. The traveling is just not fun. I cannot understand why this method was done.

3. No caps. Players who have the most time to play are the most powerful. There is little to no skill involved in this - although there is some. If you play the most, you win the most. How fun does that sound? Want to play for only 10 hours a week? Hah, you can never be competitive. You will never catch up to others who play more. 

4. Cash shop - This will be heavily advertised and they send you a gazillion emails about buying items from their cash shop. Houses are in the hundreds to thousands of dollars. Decorations are around $50 each. For their cheaper items, it still gets expensive. Before you know it, you just spent a few hundred to decorate your $500 dollar house. If you pay the most, then you have the best house. Okay, who cares about decorations. Don't like it, don't buy it. Except.. I would like to own a house and not pay a few hundred for it. 

5. Questing - This has the worst questing I have ever seen in an MMO - by far. I finished the love quest and was speechless. There are gaps to fill in between the main quests. Meaning if you finish one scene, you must go grind for about 50+ hours to be able to do the next. It is uninspiring. The writing doesn't pull you in. You don't ever seem to care. It doesn't help there is no voice acting either. As for side quests, they are almost non-existant. They are worse than the main quests. You also get no real reward from these quests. It is better to go grind than the quest in terms of reward and xp.

6. Character customization - This doesn't exist. Everyone looks the same. Some people have different skin color though. The hair and beards can be different as well, but they look like someone scribbled them on in Windows Paint. That is no exaggeration. 

7. Already persistent - I get why they did this (because people started to quit playing due to wipes), but that doesn't make it right. The world will have no more wipes. For everyone that exploited those bugs, they keep their reward from it. So not only do you face people who have sunk in much more time than you, but you also face those that did that AND exploited issues.

8. Housing - This has been somewhat addressed, but lets go further. To buy a house you need to purchase a deed and a lot for it to go on. The lot costs real life money. I believe the cheapest one is around $85. It is basically like a storage shed. Then you have to purchase the house for it. Now that you can buy with in game gold as well as in the cash shop. You can enter a raffle to win a free lot deed once a month. However, even THAT is broken. It is a well known issue where whales buy multiple deeds to lower the chance that the average player can get one. Housing also has just a horrible look to in in towns. They look out of place and have ridiculous decorations outside. It is just a cluster of a mess on how it looks. Anything more than a storage shed and you get into the hundreds of dollars....

9. Grinding - That is all there is to do. It is grind, grind, and grind. This was the primary reason I left. I couldn't believe that all I could do is kill bears at Ulfheim. That was it. For the next probably 100 hours of game play until I was powerful enough to do other things. Other things such as grind other places... man. The grind is unreal.

10. Crafting - Crafting is hidden behind mobs. Remember in UO how you could have a character that was just a crafter (you know because there were caps and gave reason for multiple toons)? Well, that isn't so here! If you want to craft you will have to gather those resources that are behind mobs. Oh yes, and you will gather a lot. I mean... a lot. Like... hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of hours of gathering. Prepare to spend many of nights in Elysium or Specrtal to do nothing but kill mobs and mine over and over and over. There isn't anything else to do.

There are just 10 reasons. That is my constructive feedback for developers and players in the SoTA community. The depressed feeling of being behind a cashwall, never being able to attain what others have, and have nothing to do but grind is pretty much the reasons I quit. 

I've never had to complain about being outpriced in a game before. I've always paid subscriptions and not complained. In SWTOR, I paid subscriptions AND their cash shop. Never a peep from me. But SoTA just demands so much and is relentless. It feels like instead of trying to gather small amounts from massive amounts of players, they want massive amounts from a small amount of players. Which is why their numbers are so low. I mean, maybe its 500 players? Maybe 600, 700? We are talking hundreds of players. Even if they only had a few THOUSAND players, that is still unbelievably low. This is supposed to be an MASSIVELY multiple player role playing game. 

So do with this as you want. Call me a troll. Tell me I am wrong. It is just my perspective on the game. Nothing I have said hasn't been reiterated a hundred times before. This list isn't something unique to only me. If you believe the list is wrong, then why are so many people feeling that it isn't incorrect. Do something about it?

On a positive note the graphics have improved a bit. The water is still awful.. among other things, but it has improved.
    Whatever people want to call you, this is much more informative than an "Impressive look" at a cash shop decoration :)
    RawynSlapshot1188MustaphaMondMightyUncleanKezAzzamean[Deleted User]DistopiaKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited May 2017
    Compare the music of this SoTA video:

With Saga of Lucimia soundtrack:

(specifically [0:34] from the first video with [0:26] from the second video)
    MustaphaMondKezAzzameanAlomar[Deleted User]blorpykinsJamesGoblin
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited May 2017
    You blame crowdfounded indie game for using Unity engine, still I don't see you crying about SWTOR Hero engine, which is implemented in 200.000.000$ product.
    LeFantome
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    digriz602 said:
    Might behoove you if you didn't insult potential sources of money. Just saying. Then you also wouldn't have to apologize to your customers.

He should be apologizing for that abomination of a combat system instead.
    RawynSlapshot1188MustaphaMondblorpykinsLeFantomeKezAzzameanAlomar

• KezAzzameanKezAzzamean Member UncommonPosts: 10
    digriz602 said:
    Might behoove you if you didn't insult potential sources of money. Just saying. Then you also wouldn't have to apologize to your customers.

He should be apologizing for that abomination of a combat system instead.
    I didn't even get into the combat system. I am actually missing 4 or 5 more things as well.

But yes... the combat system. To be blunt, the combat system is like feeding your dog a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and watching it slowly spew out of his anus like a Play-Doh machine.

The whole mechanics of it are just awful. From the fluidity of movement (you slide everywhere like you are ice skating) to that piece of trash deck system. It revolves around cards popping up and down. You end of staring at your bar just spamming whatever cards pop up. If you get bored enough you can combine some cards but that is about as innovative as it gets. Most people don't even make it to the deck system before quitting the game.
    RawynLeFantomeAlomarblorpykinsMustaphaMond
    Voidfarer said:
    rune_74 said:

LOL!

Simple!!! The game isnt finished yet
    Really...so they will finish it to make it like the game they sold on kickstarter?
    RawynLeFantomeMustaphaMond
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Ok, guys, lesson learned. Don't dare ever post on MMORPG and suggest that people here aren't constructive because they attack anyone who dares post something positive. To verify that I don't dare make that mistake again, I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.

Pretty much why I and most people I know don't use this site very much anymore. Just asshole trolls foaming at the mouth waiting to talk shit on the next article/post with their holier than tho I'm God attitudes.
    postlarvalSlapshot1188LeFantome[Deleted User]KyleranMustaphaMondManWithNoTan

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

edited May 2017
    Sephros said:

Ok, guys, lesson learned. Don't dare ever post on MMORPG and suggest that people here aren't constructive because they attack anyone who dares post something positive. To verify that I don't dare make that mistake again, I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.

Pretty much why I and most people I know don't use this site very much anymore. Just asshole trolls foaming at the mouth waiting to talk shit on the next article/post with their holier than tho I'm God attitudes.

Is that what I was doing?  Heaven forbid I expect what they themselves said the game would be....and then they get upset that people are mad they veered away from their original design to focus on what the people giving them money wanted...
    Slapshot1188KezAzzameanMustaphaMondEarthgirlRawyn
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sephros said:

Back to the SotA forums with ya, mate. You and the rest of your buddies have no trouble treating anyone who disagrees with you like shit over there, but one of your keepers comes over here and gets trashed and you go all butt hurt over it.

For all the self-absorbed posturing about virtues over on the SotA forums, you people are like rabid wolves once the chains of your moderator are off. Virtues my ass, you're no better than any other forum poster on any other site.

Go back and lick Chris' wounds for him. Maybe he'll give you a cookie. 

blorpykins[Deleted User]LeFantomeSlapshot1188KezAzzameanMustaphaMondRawyn

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited May 2017
    Sephros said:

It's alright dude, I forgive you. It's not your fault.  It has to be.. because if you wrote that in all honestly... you're really blind.  Are you a backer? I guess not. Because you would be pissed by the devs who don't, really don't care about their backers, who give almost 2 MIL ( kickstarter ) for a game who will never be made.   However, as I said, it's not your fault, right? And Chris got what he deserved. Well, he should be fired but eh.. it's not his fault either, isn't it?  

Rawyn

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    LeFantome said:
    Sephros said:

It's alright dude, I forgive you. It's not your fault.  It has to be.. because if you wrote that in all honestly... you're really blind.  Are you a backer? I guess not. Because you would be pissed by the devs who don't, really don't care about their backers, who give almost 2 MIL ( kickstarter ) for a game who will never be made.   However, as I said, it's not your fault, right? And Chris got what he deserved. Well, he should be fired but eh.. it's not his fault. Right?  

Fired? lol....

Look at this discussion, one guy has posted anything of substance on the game or piece in the article. That's what Sephros was talking about. That dev post was all that was needed for the usual antics here... Pile on... That's how everything goes here. 

Anyway.. Does anyone posting actually play or care enough to actually answer Islen's question as an example? 

Probably not... might as well try again though, does this have any gameplay usage or is it just pure decoration? Perhaps there's a larger version in the world or something? IF not, sounds like an everyday thing you'd find in SWG for free while grinding, worthless junk loot, that makes for a housing decoration. 

[Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Just taking it on design, it looks fine OTHER than the purply glowy effects. I would have made that a little less cutsey. Also a cold white for "the moon".

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Never really been a spell effects person...Most of the time had to turn them down to low or completely off or they slow down fps too much.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Is the game even out yet? I've had a vague look at it a year or so ago and wasn't much impressed. When it comes out I'll give it a fair go since I paid (I think it was $50) so might as well get something out of it but doesn't really look like it will hold my interest for too long.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Akulas said:
    Is the game even out yet?
    That is such a twodimensional view of things. Out, not out. 
    This game is on a much higher plane of existence and does not need to conform to the old simplistic human ways of thinking.

KyleranMustaphaMondblorpykinsSlapshot1188MadFrenchie
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Sephros said:

Back to the SotA forums with ya, mate. You and the rest of your buddies have no trouble treating anyone who disagrees with you like shit over there, but one of your keepers comes over here and gets trashed and you go all butt hurt over it.

For all the self-absorbed posturing about virtues over on the SotA forums, you people are like rabid wolves once the chains of your moderator are off. Virtues my ass, you're no better than any other forum poster on any other site.

Go back and lick Chris' wounds for him. Maybe he'll give you a cookie. 

Must have struck a nerve with this one.  Way to prove my point for me.
    Distopia

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What a nasty thread.  What is really funny is arguing over a third rate game like this.  Any one attempting to defend this game has 3 strikes on them before they start.

Rawynbcbully
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    Akulas said:
    Is the game even out yet? I've had a vague look at it a year or so ago and wasn't much impressed. When it comes out I'll give it a fair go since I paid (I think it was $50) so might as well get something out of it but doesn't really look like it will hold my interest for too long.

No, the game is not out yet. And it didn't really change in a year.  ~Shrugs~

MustaphaMondRawyn