Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Impressive Look at New Moondial Effects - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kryn said:
    LeFantome said:

Torval said:

Sweet!  Which collection of third party Unity assets did this piece come from?

What does that matter? Do you have something against indie artists making money or getting their name out there? Or do you post this stuff because that's what everyone else posts and you don't have an original thought to bring to the discussion.

Funny people like you don't mind reusing the same mechanics in every game but an art asset throws your neat little world all out of whack. No wonder you play the same shit over and over and over and then bitch about it.

Wow, that escalated quickly.  :*

Portalarium uses Unity assets almost exclusively and I have no problem with the fact that almost the entire game is Unity modules and Unity art assets mashed together.  They generally take free deco assets from Unity then make multiple version and sell for huge amounts of money in their cash shop - it's a huge win for them!  it would be nice to know which asset collection this piece came from though, I'd like to see the rest of the pieces in it.

Exactly, Portalarium are a bunch of wannabe with only one objective. Get as much $$$$$$ as they can. because after release, this game will be burned.
    Also, have a look at their $$$ shop.. you can buy assets for like $20, when they got it for free.
    They won't sell the assets $5.. Nahhh. Lets be really greedy and go for 20 to 100!! Or more!!!!
    And we're not talking about the game..
    That is ALL Kickstaters.  ALL of them...they never intend to make the game they promise.  To include this recent one that people donated millions too.  So whats the difference here?  Same shit been going on with these game for years now.  Making millions off idiots...and the world is full of them.
    You just described every product ever with that. They all over "promise" their product's qualities, that's marketing in a nutshell. 
    LeFantome

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Yes, sorry if that came across as a slam at MMORPG. Staff is amazing and the writing is amazing. My comments were very clearly aimed at the forums, NOT the staff.

Ice-Queen, sorry if I incorrectly grouped you in with the other two. I looked at a your message history and the majority of the messages were you criticizing the game in multiple threads. As for your other comments here, I'm pretty sure you know the concurrency is higher than the numbers you listed for total players and is rising. Maybe you don't because you quit playing from the sounds of it. The comments here don't bother me because they aren't actually feedback on the game, we actually seek that out actively.

The line to me is if you want to jump in every single story and criticize the game "crappy this, craapy that", sure, whatever entertains you. The only reason I ever post here anymore is when I see someone say something positive about the game and then get swarmed by people attacking him/her for daring to suggest that they are enjoying it. That is the message I replied to and why I replied to it.

As for the free trial, please send people on over. Let them see how horrible it is for themselves. We welcome the feedback!

Man are you ever dishonest.

Yes, I'm sure you know who I am. Your company went to great troubles to slam me and make up some random things to justify removing me from your forums. You guys even changed the rules to get me banned. Random infractions given for just about anything, then stating number of infractions create a perma ban. Also what was it...a possibility I was posting stuff somewhere else? No customer service with this group at all.They have a high backer who was perma banned who just used an alt with the same name to post again....that's not an issue.

This all goes back to kickstarting a game then changing what it was after the game was backed...reason being? They were able to get some truly monstrous people to put thousands of dollars into the game. This was not even going to be an MMO during the kickstarter. They changed their website to say it is now, however they cannot go back to the kickstarter and change that history.

The game has been live for almost a year, there are players who abused the systems that were put in place(still under heavy construction) now are so far in advance of any other players that you cannot ever catch up. But, that exactly what they wanted.

This game heavily supports RMT as they have some really bad people involved in this. It's so bad that people are gaming the system and have dozens of the limited in game lots since they provided a heavily favored lottery system to get them, if you were a big backer you could game it.

The storyline is juvenile. It was written by a UO fan and a customer service rep....apparently tracy hickman disappeared after the novel was released(oh yes they also re released the novel with a new chapter that previous backers didn't get, they had to buy the new version.) The questing is worse then it was in Ultima 7, I'm shocked that this is a RG game.

This game is rotten. They have done a lot of bad things to a lot of people and this post by Chris is not new. He has done this before. So disappointed in these people. Catering to a few people who wondered to austin to play dress up.
    LeFantomeRawynMustaphaMondEarthgirlAlomarManWithNoTan
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2017
    Yes, sorry if that came across as a slam at MMORPG. Staff is amazing and the writing is amazing. My comments were very clearly aimed at the forums, NOT the staff.

Oh.. it's OK... you only insulted the entire community here.  No problem!  And again... I'm a freaking supporter of the game who isn't a big critic.  I've still got my Ultima cloth maps starting from Ultima 2 (because it was the first released on the C-64).  Your response was unprofessional, over the line and sounded desperate.  If you want to defend your game... absolutely.. engage in a discussion about the accuracy of a critic, but to use phrases like:
    • Welcome to MMORPG, land of the completely unmoderated forums where the same half dozen trolls who were banished from the forums years ago trash the game each week! 

• This is pretty much 4chan of the MMO world so kind of expected.

...is a blatant slap at the entire MMORPG community.  

While I agree it's probably not a sound decision, I have to call BS on anyone here feeling insulted. We can't play at being the place for playing hardball in our debate,  then curl up like turtles when something like this happens, it's disingenuous and for show. 

I found it quite humorous just like any other heated exchange around here.

It's not like he isn't correct this isn't a place for fans (especially of polarizing titles like this).... It's the last place I'd recommend anyone going for that reason. Unless it's for staff posts. Even then avoid the following discussion would be the advice given.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh come on guys, do you really believe catnipgames is a legit representative of SotA?  There's no way an actual, professional game developer would come on this forum and act that unprofessionally.  He'd be making a fool of himself and make the entire project look like a joke.
    KyleranAgent_JosephScorchienLeFantomeSlapshot1188MustaphaMondEarthgirlAlomar[Deleted User]
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2017
    Rofl, dude if it's so good why not put a ticker on your main website showing how many people are online at any given time? U won't, u know the numbers r bad gotta keep up the appearance u're doing better than u r so u can keep what people you got left buying from the store. Put up or shut up I say about the numbers playing.

I'm pretty sure you know the concurrency is higher than the numbers you listed for total players and is rising. 

LeFantomeMustaphaMond
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691

Oh come on guys, do you really believe catnipgames is a legit representative of SotA?  There's no way an actual, professional game developer would come on this forum and act that unprofessionally.  He'd be making a fool of himself and make the entire project look like a joke.

You got a point.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    F**K shroud of the avatar,crap combat,crap graffix,they refused to listen to the community!
    LeFantomeRawynAgent_JosephMustaphaMondIce-QueenAlomar
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691

The comments here don't bother me because they aren't actually feedback on the game, we actually seek that out actively.

The line to me is if you want to jump in every single story and criticize the game "crappy this, craapy that", sure, whatever entertains you. The only reason I ever post here anymore is when I see someone say something positive about the game and then get swarmed by people attacking him/her for daring to suggest that they are enjoying it. That is the message I replied to and why I replied to it.

If you dont bother , why do you comment?
    I think Starr told you, he doesn't want an another video.

Right?
    RawynMustaphaMond

edited May 2017
    Yah dude it's Chris, he posts on steam as catnip games and has said it was many times on shroud forums and steam. He's just that easy to get riled up and for some odd reason got a huge ego. Dude hasn't done any successful games, piddled around with playing dev or something in the failed Tabula Rasa and was part of Portalariums disaster attempt at making an app game before shroud.
    MightyUncleanLeFantomeMustaphaMondAlomar[Deleted User]
    Rawyn said:
    Yah dude it's Chris, he posts on steam as catnip games and has said it was many times on shroud forums and steam. He's just that easy to get riled up and for some odd reason got a huge ego. Dude hasn't done any successful games, piddled around with playing dev or something in the failed Tabula Rasa and was part of Portalariums disaster attempt at making an app game before shroud.

If this is true, I just lost the last, tiny shred of respect I may have had left for SotA.  A developer gets on these forums, insults the forums in general, calls specific users trolls because of their views of the game...I just find that hard to believe.  Surely, if this is true and the heads of the studio found out, he would be at the least reprimanded and possibly fired?  Would they allow someone in the wild representing their company like that?
    Slapshot1188MustaphaMondEarthgirlAlomar[Deleted User]acidblood
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited May 2017

If this is true, I just lost the last, tiny shred of respect I may have had left for SotA.  A developer gets on these forums, insults the forums in general, calls specific users trolls because of their views of the game...I just find that hard to believe.  Surely, if this is true and the heads of the studio found out, he would be at the least reprimanded and possibly fired?  Would they allow someone in the wild representing their company like that?
    Aye this is typical behavior from he and I've seen Starr as well, bickering with posters is pretty common. They don't seem to mind them doing it as it's been going on for years now. No idea why they call people trolls and themselves troll as well. If it was just your average poster no one would say anything really but a game companies devs are usually more professional. I think this game is the only one where I've seen this really.

I'm sure Rune_74 could point you to a ton of Chris's unprofessional posts, I know there's a list somewhere with screenshots of a lot of them out there somewhere but I'm not going to go digging to find them. Here's just a couple.

(Chris) Catnipgames
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6930159/#Comment_6930159

Starr going back and forth with someone here.
    http://www.mmogames.com/topmmos/best-crowdfunded-online-game-2016/

MustaphaMond[Deleted User]

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Ice-Queen said:

Aye this is typical behavior from he and I've seen Starr as well, bickering with posters is pretty common. They don't seem to mind them doing it as it's been going on for years now. No idea why they call people trolls and themselves troll as well. If it was just your average poster no one would say anything really but a game companies devs are usually more professional. I think this game is the only one where I've seen this really.

I'm sure Rune_74 could point you to a ton of Chris's unprofessional posts, I know there's a list somewhere with screenshots of a lot of them out there somewhere but I'm not going to go digging to find them. Here's just a couple.

(Chris) Catnipgames

Second link doesn't work for me.  Why, oh why did I back these clowns?  It only cost me $50, thank goodness.  Compared to most backers, I got off light.  I know why...pure nostalgia for the greatness that was Lord British in the 80's.  SotA has turned out to be my biggest disappointment in over 30 years of gaming.  I need to learn to let my memories be just that.

RawynSlapshot1188MustaphaMondIce-QueenAlomar
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited May 2017
    Ice-Queen said:

(Chris) Catnipgames

Second link doesn't work for me.  Why, oh why did I back these clowns?  It only cost me $50, thank goodness.  Compared to most backers, I got off light.  I know why...pure nostalgia for the greatness that was Lord British in the 80's.  SotA has turned out to be my biggest disappointment in over 30 years of gaming.  I need to learn to let my memories be just that.

Hmm, it's working for me, here's one of the posts of starr from the second link. Some guy got him going and he really got sarcastic and childish in his response.

It is incredible! I did it Tariva! As you suggested I did some really honest introspection.

I did not even realize that for over three years we have been perpetrating an amazing cover up! We have managed to make people think Richard has been working on the project this whole time! We even had our own team fooled, including me! Making videos, generating bugs, making tasks, going to meetings, attending daily standups, posting those standup notes to the forums, doing interviews with press, etc. Lots of work to make it just appear as if he is working on the game instead of actually working on the game.

That makes so much more sense than the simpler explanation that he is actually working on the game! It is way easier to believe that he's not working on the game at all instead of that sometimes we don't work on the schedule in the exact order he wants due to other priorities.

Your theory is so much more plausible! Thank you so much for bringing this to light! You are an incredible sleuth! The world is grateful to you for your deductive powers and dedication to spreading the truth.

LeFantomeMustaphaMondAlomar[Deleted User]

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

edited May 2017
    Sigh...I don't know why I still follow SotA's development on here.  It's like a trainwreck that I can't look away from.  I mean, is this shit making me happy?  Do I want to see something based on something I loved as a child fail?  It makes my stomach churn.  I need to let it go.
    RawynMustaphaMondIce-Queen[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Distopia said:

Oh.. it's OK... you only insulted the entire community here.  No problem!  And again... I'm a freaking supporter of the game who isn't a big critic.  I've still got my Ultima cloth maps starting from Ultima 2 (because it was the first released on the C-64).  Your response was unprofessional, over the line and sounded desperate.  If you want to defend your game... absolutely.. engage in a discussion about the accuracy of a critic, but to use phrases like:
    • Welcome to MMORPG, land of the completely unmoderated forums where the same half dozen trolls who were banished from the forums years ago trash the game each week! 

• This is pretty much 4chan of the MMO world so kind of expected.

...is a blatant slap at the entire MMORPG community.  

While I agree it's probably not a sound decision, I have to call BS on anyone here feeling insulted. We can't play at being the place for playing hardball in our debate,  then curl up like turtles when something like this happens, it's disingenuous and for show. 

I found it quite humorous just like any other heated exchange around here.

It's not like he isn't correct this isn't a place for fans (especially of polarizing titles like this).... It's the last place I'd recommend anyone going for that reason. Unless it's for staff posts. Even then avoid the following discussion would be the advice given.

I'm not insulted, I'll wear the 4 chan moniker if it means we get to continue speaking freely.

(and why I steer clear of official forums, no interest in echo chambers.)
    MustaphaMondDistopia[Deleted User]Rawyn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212
    AHEM.....my question was genuine.....you all done?! =/
  • catnipgamescatnipgames Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Ok, guys, lesson learned. Don't dare ever post on MMORPG and suggest that people here aren't constructive because they attack anyone who dares post something positive. To verify that I don't dare make that mistake again, I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.
    Alomarcover2xy
  • MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341
    catnipgames said:
    Ok, guys, lesson learned. Don't dare ever post on MMORPG and suggest that people here aren't constructive because they attack anyone who dares post something positive. To verify that I don't dare make that mistake again, I'll go ahead and delete my MMORPG account here. You guys can continue your personal attacks now.

In other words:

"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjQrI9xIDU

(What an unbelievable overgrown manchild...)
    Slapshot1188RawynLeFantomeMightyUncleanAlomar[Deleted User]cover2xy
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    I'm still curious about which collection of Unity assets the moondial came from!
    Slapshot1188MustaphaMondAlomar
  • Aron_SwordmasterAron_Swordmaster Member UncommonPosts: 181

That's not what you did though. You posted a thread about your own companies product, and others then stated they weren't as impressed as you are with your own work.

You then came in with a range of offensive claims that are objectively untrue;

MMORPG isn't even as bad as the Shroud Reddit, let alone 4Chan.

You attacked the staff here and then tried to back pedal it; are you saying they have no one moderating their comments? Because that's the only way MMORPG would have no staff influence on the nature of their own forums. If it was like 4Chan, it's because they want it to be.

You tried to slander people who for years were actually supporters of your project, by declaring they were all banned. That is not only unfair, it's outright untrue. Most of the posters here aren't evem banned. I'm not banned on your official forums either. I am however banned from your Steam group... because your moderators allowed a months long campaign of harassment against me, most of which is still unmoderated long after being reported, whilst your staff eventually banned me for using the word "liar" about that behaviour.

Are you proud of yourself that you continue to try and slander people in public who still remember, and in my case archived the actual facts?

Oh and incidentally, I recently went public with the fact that not only is some of your official community provably sockpuppeting on your own forums, and claiming that you personally encourage him to threaten people's children in real life, but his behaviour is so sociopathic I opened a police report on attempted email hacks that had been running against my account since December, and I named him and his actions on your forums as the chief suspect. They don't tolerate that behaviour even at Reddit... but on YOUR forums that user remains in good standing.

We might have some sympathy for what is a clearly trying time for you, if you weren't basically claiming we deserved the harassment we've received because we don't mindlessly cheer everything you do. But it's not our fault you went all in on the Whale and F2P funding model. We TOLD you it wouldn't work with the audience you had, because we WERE your audience, and we hated the design choices you made. If we're not posting on your forums, it's because YOU drove us out.

But you'd rather throw petty passive-aggressive comments like "Well if you hate me so much, I'll delete my account" at us now? Is that what you think we wanted to see when we backed you in 2013? Can you point us to where in the Kickstarter it says "For $1m you can have 5 episodes of quality, or for $12m you can have 1 episode and the Developers will throw a childish tantrum" and we voted for the latter?
    Slapshot1188MustaphaMondDistopiaEarthgirlAlomar[Deleted User]JeleenaManWithNoTan
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Revisionist history doesn't work when anyone can scroll up and see the shit YOU posted.
    MustaphaMondRawynLeFantomeMightyUncleanAlomar[Deleted User]BruceYee

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The only thing impressive about this game is how embarrassingly bad it is.
    RealizerLeFantomeblorpykinsRawynVoidfarerMustaphaMondMightyUncleanAlomar

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KezAzzameanKezAzzamean Member UncommonPosts: 10
    LOL!
    This is the most childish thing I've ever seen come from a tech director of any gaming company. What a wonderful thing for all players to see. We have given constructive feedback for years!!! But Portalarium just plugged their ears and listened only to the huge mega donors. Now they wonder why people HATE their game. You think we backed your game in 2013 and wanted to see it fail?! We wanted nothing more than to see it be successful and blow our expectations. We wanted that great Ultima/UO spiritual successor. Instead you gave us the worst MMO I have ever seen with a budget at that level. 

"SUCK IT,  MMORPG GAMERS"
    ~ Chris Spears, Technical Director of Shroud of the Avatar
    Slapshot1188blorpykinsRawynLeFantomeMustaphaMondAlomar[Deleted User]BruceYee
    I know why i do cause its a trainwreck that never ends you just cant look away lol. What i learned about kickstarter games from Sota is never ever let nostalgia make me back a game again. And never ever back anything these dudes work on.
    Sigh...I don't know why I still follow SotA's development on here.  It's like a trainwreck that I can't look away from.  I mean, is this shit making me happy?  Do I want to see something based on something I loved as a child fail?  It makes my stomach churn.  I need to let it go.

MustaphaMondEarthgirl
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Echoing @Torval here: Stick to the topic at hand. If you've lost the train of the conversation, go back to the first post. If you can't stay on topic and want to keep beating each other up, do it in PMs.

ManWithNoTan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯