Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you make your mmo ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited May 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
This has been done before, but its been awhile. 

If you were asked to coordinate an mmo development with unlimited funding and you had total control, what features will it have ?

Me:
Opening remarks.... The game would be for everyone.  It would be the single go to mmo that would cover ages 10 to 90.  In order to do this it would have to be a VERY LARGE MMO, much like Vanilla World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and the vision of what Vanguard set out to be.  After all their is only one way to make a true mmo, VERY LARGE, anything less is not an mmo. The purchase price would be $69.95 and first month free, then $14.95 a month, with no free trial.  Don't need one, it will be a quality game with a detailed description of what the buyer is getting...... Unsure ?..... Wait for reviews !

The company will be reputable with no hidden agenda.

Features:

As stated, An mmo must be large but this game will not be congested, cramped or stressful as per the given content and game world.  The moto will be peaceful and relaxing, yet pockets of easy, hard and extremely hard areas.  Their will be no warning to danger on screen, however this will be naturally visible to the player.  Monsters, mobs and bandits will be spread out to give players recovery time and take in the beauty of the open world.  Nothing will be obnoxious unless the player decides to take on the task and that's up to the player and his group to decide.  Always optional........ Natural is the key word for this game. 

Note:  Life will be hard, even for the easy player !

Steeling from classics, the world will have two factions for open world PvP, yet non threatening consequences other than minor humiliation of loosing.

Steeling from classics, the world will have six starting areas and six major cities for variety and replay ability.  The moto will be, this game can be played forever !

Graphics will be good quality cartoony..... This is for ease of development, not the players.  Quality content will be guaranteed !

Player progression will be slow, unlike modern mmos.  Average max level time will be 8 months.  The classic open world, instanced dungeons and raids will apply at end game.  Understand slow progression and replay ability will make up for the game that will have an ending. 

Expansions will be slow but quality sideways progression with new starting, mid and end zones. New classes and races will be introduced. NEVER LEVEL INCREASES.

How would you make your mmo ?
SteelhelmSevala

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    > Creation of a game-world in a open sandbox matter to gameplay.

> Drive gameplay within one emergent factor, instead of forcing players through the usual linear gameplay / metagaming.

> Get rid of levels and gear progression.

> Work through advanced skill progression systems as the main grind bar, doing whatever you want to do making you better at that specific skill, fitting the emergent gameplay factor.

> Making sure all the different paths that can be taken within the sphere of emergent play do have depth to them (1st world MMO problems).

And I guess that's just some of the core designs I would have, the rest of the game would drive from those but I guess one MMO that is more open to the players to do wathever, with mechanics with depth to support different playstyles (fighting metagaming), with skill-based progression being the main grind-bar of the game would be one interesting setup.
    Steelhelm
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:
    I wouldnt.

Many have this grand illusion of being game designers.

If you have never made a game from scratch (like written a MUD, maybe even a board game RPG, or heck even written out a RPG on paper)

Ever made a game in rpgmaker?

Ever written any code?

But you expect to design a MMO?

Oh and - listing features IS NOT game design.

Sort of like asking a 5 year old how to build a spaceship, thats what this post is.
    Indeed. Not to mention other mundane details like:

Business planning and modelling; resource management - advertising and interviewing for staff, holidays, overtime, sickness;  leasing offices; negotiating with suppliers; drawing up contracts - for people, goods and services; ensuring all workplace legal obligations are met; payroll (paying staff); financing, managing finances and delivering financial reports if required; planning and project managing - see also resource management; implementing version controls; security - physical as well as software; disposal protocols; market analysis, market testing, final pricing and marketing of finished product ...... 

OK you could rewrite the question as: if in charge of a large company with all the infrastructure in place to actually make a game what would you want ...... but if that was the case the word "profitability" would have to feature. And making any old game is not the same as making a profitable game (or film). Even established companies get that wrong.
    Steelhelm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited May 2017
    There are scores of factors that go into game design, development, and marketing that are, all too often, just glossed over and cheerily disregarded with a "I can do anything" mentality.. It won't happen overnight or with the wave of a wand..

However, I do admit to seeing the positives in active discussion, regardless of probabilities.. Letting dreams flow free and hearing what other gamers think about the genre.. Heck, thats why I peeked in on this thread to begin with..

For the record, I am one of those who does want to design my own MMO.. I have been actively designing my game for over 4 years and specifically went back to school to learn everything I needed to enter the industry and one day create my game.. Its a daunting task, but its been enlightening..
    Post edited by TyranusPrime on

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    DMKano said:
    I wouldnt.

If you have never made a game from scratch (like written a MUD, maybe even a board game RPG, or heck even written out a RPG on paper)

Ever written any code?

Sort of like asking a 5 year old how to build a spaceship, thats what this post is.
    to answer these questions.

Yes, I have written a Mud, (Which means I had to write the code.. duh)

I ave also, done a Board Game.

I have also written up an RPG.

I have also tried my hand at a card game.

And while these were done as Hobby projects, with no "starry eyed dreams of striking it rich".. I did enjoy the whole process.. and I will say... dealing with the rampant stupid of gamers... we eye opening.. which is why most designers don't respect you.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    ZionBane said:
    DMKano said:
    I wouldnt.

Ever written any code?

to answer these questions.

Yes, I have written a Mud, (Which means I had to write the code.. duh)

I ave also, done a Board Game.

I have also written up an RPG.

I have also tried my hand at a card game.

And while these were done as Hobby projects, with no "starry eyed dreams of striking it rich".. I did enjoy the whole process.. and I will say... dealing with the rampant stupid of gamers... we eye opening.. which is why most designers don't respect you.

I have done these things as well.  It is much easier to make a board game or table top game than a mmoRPG.  Plus doing it with people in you gaming social circle is rewarding.

I wouldn't make an mmoRPG.  The player base are too entitled as far as I  am concerned making it not worth the effort. 
    ZionBane
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    edited May 2017
    I would totally cheat, and buy the rights to pre NGE Star Wars Galaxies, buy the rights to Vanguard: SoH, and buy the rights to Warhammer Online: AoR.

I would pay as much as needed to have original Dev's from each game work together to fix SWG bugs, while adding the public quest system from Warhammer, and the diplomacy system from Vanguard.

To me, that would pretty much be perfect.
    SteelhelmZionBaneholdenfive

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

DMKano said:
    I wouldnt.

Eventually after watching many failing and the reasons why some designs I would like to failed..

You simply learn what not to do, many of this designs come with flaws that are usually pointed since the very start and then it becomes a mess later, I guess the devs need to open up the design of the game more as they go when it comes to change and adapt to realities instead of directly clashing with them.
    Gdemami
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I'd make a full loot free for all fantasy themed perma death open world player versus player massively multiplayer online roleplaying game... an original name monster Lol :)

But the gist would be that the whole open world would be divided into three mechanically different pvp areas equally big in size. Though one rule-set would not host direct pvp at all. 

The three areas would be:
    1. Sanctuary (an NPC guarded area where players can't attack each other but can call NPC guards to attack criminals and murderers)
    2. Patrolled Area (an NPC guarded area where players can attack each other and call NPC guards to attack criminals and murderers)
    3. No man's land: (an area where players can attack each other with no NPC guards)

The criminal and murderer system should be somewhat similar to ultima online. The game could host cosmetic items mostly for pve rewards, but the top gear could only be acquired from no-mans-land.

The areas should be placed very diversely around the map relating to biomes and npc settlements. Legends of aria is doing something like it but the areas should be more diversely spread around the map. Something like major roads could be sanctuaries or patrolled areas and just next to the road the forest could be no-mans-land etc. When a player is going to cross an area where the rule-set changes he should always get a big warning.

Something like that. I'll make another post when I have time about progression and the type of perma death I'm thinking.

[Deleted User]
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
    gervaise1 said:
    Business planning and modelling; resource management - advertising and interviewing for staff, holidays, overtime, sickness;  leasing offices; negotiating with suppliers; drawing up contracts - for people, goods and services; ensuring all workplace legal obligations are met; payroll (paying staff); financing, managing finances and delivering financial reports if required; planning and project managing - see also resource management; implementing version controls; security - physical as well as software; disposal protocols; market analysis, market testing, final pricing and marketing of finished product ...... 

OK you could rewrite the question as: if in charge of a large company with all the infrastructure in place to actually make a game what would you want ...... but if that was the case the word "profitability" would have to feature. And making any old game is not the same as making a profitable game (or film). Even established companies get that wrong.
    Big companies do not risk new designs because you can't tell how successful it will be, hence money gambling is something wouldn't do.

But this stuff can only be achieved by trial and failure, when one does it, the next one who tries will learn from the last one who tried, what it did right and wrong and improve upon that design.

Otherwise, we will be playing the same copy/paste thing till the end of times.
    Gdemami
    Personally when it comes to MMO's, I think the Survival genre has a lot to offer, and barely touched upon.

I would build a Survival game, Simple Rules: Perma-Death, Open PvP. 

Players would have to salvage or scavenge for all their gear.

There would be little to no crafting, and the stuff there was, would be situational depending on what was obtained.

If a player wanted to have a "House" they would need to find an existing house, barricade it against both the PvE threat, and the PvP threat, and then need to defend it, or they may log into a house that has been occupied by a group of other people.

basically an MMO built off how The Walking Dead, shows survival... but the zombies would be the fast and quasi-smart kind more akin 28 Days Later kind of threat.. not the slow walkers of the walking dead.

I think there would be a real market for that kind of survival, as opposed to the "Start with Rock, it Tree with rock for wood.. use wood and rock to make axe"

Screw that.. go salvage for a baseball bat at the local sporting goods complex.. grab something sharp while you are there.. and maybe a jacket.... 
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited May 2017
    ---> The game design must respect the idea of the player being immersed into a game world, such that gimmicks aren't at odds with this. Witcher 3's "places of power" are silly and gimmicky, allowing for having a skill tree of sorts, which is very shallow and silly imo.

---> The game design must be suitable for competitive gameplay, which entails having proper security and a working game, that doesn't lead to game breaking bugs, exploits, nor crippling performance issues for the game overall.

---> The art design MUST NOT contain unoriginal meta content, and any use of clichés ought to be kept to a minimum or avoided if possible.

---> The art design MUST have adequate fidelity when it comes to polygon modeling of models, so that considerations are made to avoid having models look ugly just because an artist working with polygon models was lazy and didn't do his/her best. Example of bad modeling: Upcoming Star Citizen's top arch canopy beam on the Avenger ship, looking overly crude.

---> The game design overall MUST NOT pander to adolescents, so as to appear to be childish, or having art assets and game mechanics that only a childish person could love.

---> There must be an understanding that 'sandbox' game design, is not for the player. The 'sandbox' game design is for the developers only. Anything else is nonsense.

---> The game design would have to be based on player initiative, not linear theme-park-like gameplay, nor rely on shallow gimmicks that is at odds with player initiative. In order for having player options, the game must feature a wide range of game mechanics, that has a certain depth to it. The player is the one that is to set the gameplay goals, not the game.
    edited May 2017
    Features:

• A large open world.
    • Having a far line of sight.
    • Multi core processing, both server side and client side.
    • Multi thread processing, both server side and client side.
    • Forced control over gamma settings, for sake of competitive gameplay re. darkness (linked to firmware to avoid player tweaking gamma settings manually on his/her monitor, if possible).
    • Realistic character movement for improved gameplay. Example of bad player character movement: Arma 3
    • Lip synch on par with The Muppet Show. Mass Effect Andromeda is below this standard.
    Post edited by Gamer54321 on
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    - seasons and weather system that has an impact on the gameplay (skills, npcs and so on)
    - large open mostly seamless worlds
    - little to no fast travel
    - terraforming
    - events can result in permanent effects on players (such as pyrophobia if you were burned too often, better vision in the dark if you play mostly at night or in caves, scars and so on)
    - characters don't look all like supermodels but you can also create well designed ugly / average ones (like a fat old witch for example)
    - detailed character creation using a point system (you spend points to give your character buffs and abilities, and you can gain more points by that by giving your character disadvantages)
    - weird fantasy setting
    - somewhat realistic graphics style, not asian MMO style (no tiny girls in frilly skimpy dresses with swords ten times as long as they are themselves)
    - a housing system somewhat like that of Rust (open world), though it's restricted to some areas and the house decays more and more quickly the longer you don't log in
    - interesting races, classes and professions, not just the usual human warrior and elf archer that causes me to fall asleep instantly
    - avoiding boring generic skills, such as "mighty strike" or "shield bash"
    - free trial, paid by subscription, no p2w cash shop
    - PvE focused, not PvP

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

edited May 2017
    DMKano said:

I think one requirement for working with game design in a professional manner is having good language and communications skills, which imho makes you (and presumably, lots of other people) unqualified to work with a large computer game project.

Wishing for having features in a game that you might consider making a game would probably be a part of designing a game I would think, ofc, it can't all amount to just wishful thinking with no further merit to it.

As for the idea of asking a child on how to build a spaceship, you neglect to point out why such a problem is even relevant, and it lacks clarity for explaining what you even meant by making such a point.  I shouldn't have to ask of you to confirm if you only meant to say that you think you wouldn't trust a five year old child to give you advice on building what is vaguely known as "a spaceship". Instead you seem to imply that you think it is important to make this parallel of asking a child about what a child would likely know nothing about, with the presumably much more trivial, and leisurable type of problem, of wanting to design a computer game (in some sense). The production aspect of making a computer game would probably more relevant I think if one is merely concerned about just how relevant ones motivations are for actually creating a computer game.
    Gdemami
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    2D top down , tab targeting , spaceship RPG

heavy mob grind , free stats build
    Combine 3 of 12 skill trees to create your class
    Custom gears with gem system .
    Crafting system you have to research [formula] by the hand of RNGesus . Crafting [unknown formula] that give random change to open rare craft formula , collect all formula to become master craftsman
    All item are trade-able , no bind .

Total open world with PVP zones . Free for all quests that reward in game gold with no bonus exp .
    No fixed bosses , random mobs spawn base on map that can spawn multiple bosses at one .
    Special bosses that spawn base on events .

Allow player guild control pvp land , all materials in that zone belong to ruling guild . Mass PVP events to chose who will control the lands .
    DMKano said:
    I wouldnt.

Ever written any code?

I think your taking this way to literally. :|
    I think he just needs to remove the stick from his butt.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    crisp.
    I think game devs will need all the help they can get, because my general impression is that they often implement bad things into their games. With games apparently for mostly making real money for devs inside the game, or when trying to have mass appeal and probably failing because the game doesn't rest on its own merit, but instead is based on hyped reviews and then the devs would be overselling their own game marketing wise. Thinking their game is so good, when it isn't.
    Gdemami
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    iixviiiix said:

Crafting system you have to research [formula] by the hand of RNGesus . Crafting [unknown formula] that give random change to open rare craft formula , collect all formula to become master craftsman

Total open world with PVP zones . Free for all quests that reward in game gold with no bonus exp .
    No fixed bosses , random mobs spawn base on map that can spawn multiple bosses at one .

Allow player guild control pvp land , all materials in that zone belong to ruling guild . Mass PVP events to chose who will control the lands .

Not sure if your kidding about 2D top down..... BUT, it's not too far off from a good idea ! 

Just imagine how much easer they can put resources into deep gameplay.  I'm not a programmer, no desire to be one, but they could pump out a world much faster if graphics were way low. 

After all it's been proven that Western Marketing can talk people into playing anything like awful Asian grinders with deep-pocket-cash-shops.  NOT that low graphics are a trick, but millions will play it if the marketing is right, AND THEN FIND IT'S A GREAT MMO :)

• 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    If i were to make an MMO I wuld make it a real F2P. No topups, no special item sale. I will make VIP System lvl based and and the make the drop % higher. It is also in 3D and mythical creature pets and flying mounts. Also I will put warpzones in every. PK systems will only be on higher lvl maps and PVP stages, and you need to ask permission to other player like an invite to do PVP 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Step 1: Hire talent
    Step 2: Discuss, design and plan

I have a strong vision for 3 different MMOs in my mind (traditional fantasy, gears of war and assassins creed) but I recognise my own deficiencies. In terms of talent, I come from a programming background so I am very logic-minded. I think I'd be quite good at coming up with combat mechanics and classes, as well as OK at crafting and economies. 

But, I almost completely lack artistic talent. I wouldn't be able to come up with a proper virtual world to live in, nor sort things like styles and animations for classes. I'd want help on creating a virtual economy as whilst I've experienced what works and what doesn't, the nuances elude me. I have strong feelings on ways to create great communities but I'd want to hire some talented psychologists to make sure I get it right. 

That said, my traditional fantasy MMO is basically Camelot Unchained. I love pretty much everything they're doing. I would completely re-do threat / tanking to a system I have thought up and then I would build further upon original ideas in order to add a full PvE system, more social features and an expanded CUBE system. 

Gears of War and Assassins Creed - just take those series and convert them into a sandbox MMO environment. I feel both IPs are ripe for the MMO treatment so I'd love to be involved in such projects. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited May 2017
    iixviiiix said:

Not sure if your kidding about 2D top down..... BUT, it's not too far off from a good idea ! 

Just imagine how much easer they can put resources into deep gameplay.  I'm not a programmer, no desire to be one, but they could pump out a world much faster if graphics were way low. 

After all it's been proven that Western Marketing can talk people into playing anything like awful Asian grinders with deep-pocket-cash-shops.  NOT that low graphics are a trick, but millions will play it if the marketing is right, AND THEN FIND IT'S A GREAT MMO :)

I am not kidding , 2D top down space theme can solve many graphic problem . If you add pilot dress up then it will acceptable for most people .

With that kind of set up you can kickstart a simple version of an MMORPG that have mob grind . leveling system and basic stats build

Then add repeatable quests that reward gold for player then open NPC vendor for player to buy gears and item to consume the gold .

Crafting system will be next with gem system to custom the crafting items .

You can ignore BGM music , invest little in explosion and moving sound . then allow player to custom they BGM

With wise chose it's possible to create your own MMORPG , though it will not sexy as full 3D elves but it will be playable with friends .

You can play hard like release the game to public , let people open they own server to cut the cost of open and run servers your own .
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited May 2017
    Procedurally generated sandbox fantasy survival

Gameplay is Over-Shoulder 3rd person

Smooth voxel terraforming

No player leveling, but individual skills are leveled separately.

In depth crafting using little UI with different steps, instead of basic "click to craft."

Spell crafting akin to the Ars Magica 2 Minecraft mod

Magic based on limited mana system. If you try to use magic with no mana, it will take your health as payment. Dying by spell-overexertion will be a grim fate. VERY grim. (Think of bathing in napalm, but from the inside out)

Mount taming that takes skill and practice (don't have too many details yet)

House building similar to Camelot Unchained

Randomly generated semi-rare villages with dynamic trade routes

Building well-sustained player villages can attract NPCs to grow the village into towns into cities

Dynamic jobs based on per-city needs

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited May 2017
    Dynamic jobs based on per-city needs
    If I may inquire, would you kindly elaborate on this concept?

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)