Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Who is Getting Morrowind?

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

Based off the first article "yes".

In truth they are a company with shareholders and they need to protect their property.

I sometimes wonder if some of you have no investments at all or don't care if your investments make money or not.

I dont select my games based on how good they are at generating income, that usually translate to scamming.

Anyway, I like I said, just dropping in, I have no interest in elaborating on the articles you should have been able to understand my intent of them, I was just curiouis

I think my point was that companies are "companies" and they do thing that companies do. Including companies you would probably invest in or would have at least a fund where you have investments.

But some players are so "up in arms" when a company tries to protect its property.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

In truth they are a company with shareholders and they need to protect their property.

I sometimes wonder if some of you have no investments at all or don't care if your investments make money or not.

I dont select my games based on how good they are at generating income, that usually translate to scamming.

Anyway, I like I said, just dropping in, I have no interest in elaborating on the articles you should have been able to understand my intent of them, I was just curiouis

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/8/15572464/zenimax-bethesda-prey-for-the-dead-trademark 

Is very worthy of its own thread. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2017

Sovrath said:

I think my point was that companies are "companies" and they do thing that companies do. Including companies you would probably invest in or would have at least a fund where you have investments.

But some players are so "up in arms" when a company tries to protect its property.

What I have found in my decades of living is that in general there are two kinds of companies

Companies spend an inordinate amount of time protecting, acquiring, suing and copying and then there are other companies that spend an inordinate amount of time innovating.

Zenimax is not the latter.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

What I have found in my decades of living is that in general there are two kinds of companies

Companies spend an inordinate amount of time protecting, acquiring, suing and copying and then there are other companies that spend an inordinate amount of time innovating.

It would seem that many companies would start with the latter and after they have their little empire they become the former, but not without good reason. Apple for example, just over the last decade have been innovators when it comes to smartphone and tablet technologies, but also has been that company to sue and protect. You know, that whole Samsung thing.

Both of the articles listed don't demonize Zenimax. It's what companies need to do to ensure that their copyrights and trademarks are protected. This happens all the time, but we're really only made acutely aware of the more high profile cases.

Any company that wants to survive has to protect their properties. If they don't, they don't survive very long.

Kaneth said:

It would seem that many companies would start with the latter and after they have their little empire they become the former, but not without good reason. Apple for example, just over the last decade have been innovators when it comes to smartphone and tablet technologies, but also has been that company to sue and protect. You know, that whole Samsung thing.

Both of the articles listed don't demonize Zenimax. It's what companies need to do to ensure that their copyrights and trademarks are protected. This happens all the time, but we're really only made acutely aware of the more high profile cases.

Any company that wants to survive has to protect their properties. If they don't, they don't survive very long.

what the article said or didnt say and ones ability to infer my intent of the post are two separate things. The former does not negate the latter.

that said, I personally do not have time for a company that is actively involved in not working on VR and making sure nobody else does either. Of course this protest is easy for me because I find their games kinda crappy anyway, other than ES single player

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm getting it.  I love playing alts and exploring.  I've played it a little on test server and it feels fun.  I usually get the package with all the bells and such.  Plus since the game is open I can take the Warden anywhere to level, do thieves and blackhand content also.  That's versatile leveling. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited May 2017

Kaneth said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

Things can and do go too far.

ie: Zenimax trademarked the word "Prey" so I can not name my Roman combat game "The Eagles Prey"

The article @SEANMCAD linked  concerning Trademarks is quite a good example. Its a very fine line between legitimate protection and abuse. Especialy when billion dollar + companies start throwing their weight around.

Torval said:

It is because you're letting him derail yet another thread with his weird agenda.

no actually is he calling me out for being off topic.

how the fuck did you.....nevermind

Torval said:

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/8/15572464/zenimax-bethesda-prey-for-the-dead-trademark 

It is because you're letting him derail yet another thread with his weird agenda.

The trademark issue is a very interesting topic and worthy of its own thread. It shouldn't derail this one any longer. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Torval said:

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

Kind of like drive-by trolling :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Sadly I bought it before finding out it isnt a real expansion.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Ehllfhire said:

Sadly I bought it before finding out it isnt a real expansion.

You can't "return " it and get a refund?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Iselin said:

Extras...game time...30-day subs...

I thought the reward for buying a game was the enjoyment of the game itself. Now people want to be rewarded just for buying the game.

Millenial mentality...ugh.

Dude... a free month's sub with purchase is not exactly something new. It's been part of buying an MMO client as long as there have been MMOs with subs... long before the term "millenial" was even invented. 

The big difference here though is that we don't have to sub to play the game. I think it could potentially be a good marketing move to give the free month though, like you suggested earlier. 

I am just happy that great games like this still exist at a reasonable price, without the need to pay thousands or tens of thousands to participate at a high level. Its almost surreal reading complaints about the price tag for this expansion and then looking over at discussions about payment/business models for games (?) like COE. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Nop, not at launch maybe when its very cheap. Cant tell why  :o
    Yanocchi

• 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    HECK YES
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Dragnelus said:
    Nop, not at launch maybe when its very cheap. Cant tell why  :o

Yeah, I'll probably wait too because I'm not super excited about Morrowind. The new big expansion for Path of Exile has coincided with the release of Morrowind and affects my decision to some extent. I will be a lot more excited about new content in Elder Scrolls Legends, though. I hope they'll do more free promotions in ESL which give cool free stuff in ESO like they did with the Doom Wolf mount.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here