Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for your in game experience comments

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
What is the good the bad and the ugly. X 10+ year  DAOC vet looking for a new home.

Comments

• FullLootPvpFullLootPvp Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited May 2017
    Hey Mate, well quickly:

i think i played DAOC shortly (am also old UO vet)..

The good: fast packed action fights, full-loot, immersion and thrill (to get jumped or loose the fight and your stuf) EPIC sieges - really epic, hundreds vs. hundreds all in one world no instances...

The bad: well, grafix may look dated, so its not super shiny blingbling (but fine for me, still a lot of immersion)

The ugly: if you can't deal with looses, this might get ugly.. (but it's risk vs. reward both sides of the same coin..)
    UPDATE: and the ugly is, if you enjoy this game here, it fucks up all other mmo for you... as you will not feel the same anywhere again.. (at least happened to me)

If you like to read more about, I'm happy to help you.. just let me know any questions.
    If you want to join --> [mod edit:  Removed Referral Link]

Post edited by Vaross on
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    edited May 2017
    I've played for about a week and I'm struggling to accept full loot pvp. I have played DAOC on/off for 12 years.  FULL LOOT ......no faction to have a place to belong. ....not good  imo.
    Viper482MrMelGibson

I've played for about a week and I'm struggling to accept full loot pvp. I have played DAOC on/off for 12 years.  FULL LOOT ......no faction to have a place to belong. ....not good  imo.

Well, i grew up with full loot in UO.... it has 2 main aspects:
    1) the thrill of risk, gives you a rush and feeling in PvP, which I never expierienced again, as loosing didnt meant a lot, I feel the fights more intense. And if loosing doesnt mean a lot, so do then victories
    2) besides that, looting feels really cool as well, as you dont know (beside the weapon and armor you see) what will be inside the grave as well - so it's like a surprise everytime ;) Plus you must be careful looting as well, as while you pick up the stuff, which takes time, you are an easy target for others, or if you take a huge bag, it may overload you to not be able to move anymore..

But I understand, that this may not be everyone's favor, especially who never seen before this type of PvP...
    How to deal with it, when you are struggeling:
    1) Bank often (only go with gear you are ready to loose)
    2) Bank often ;)
    3) Further joining a bigger clan may help you as well, as the odds on group fights are always better if you are on the side which got some more friends ;)

How is your impression, apart of the Full Loot? Does it match my explanation in a nutshell?
    If you got more questions, just let me know, you may PM me as well, if you need some in-game help...
    Hazardouz24
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    I threw $10 at it for a try, played around for about 30 minutes and had no desire to continue. I'm out $10, was worth the small amount to try. Dismissed it and won't ponder "what if..." now.
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    DAoC veteran here

I'm currently playing Darkfall Rise of Agon until New Dawn comes out ( waiting for Faction territory control in New Dawn.)

I'm having fun in Rise of Agon, one thing i'v noticed is how the times have changed. When i'm out PvEing and skilling up I haven't had any "encounters" or anybody try to gank me which is a little disappointing.

Yesterday I was at a camp and somebody approached and I was excited "Yes! Finally a ganker.. come get some!" but then he invited me to a group so we just ended up killing some Gnolls and we logged... smh

Darkfall aint what it used to be... *tears up*

FullLootPvpCopperfield

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    He who spends the most money does the ganking.
    natpick
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    DAoC veteran here

I'm currently playing Darkfall Rise of Agon until New Dawn comes out ( waiting for Faction territory control in New Dawn.)

I'm having fun in Rise of Agon, one thing i'v noticed is how the times have changed. When i'm out PvEing and skilling up I haven't had any "encounters" or anybody try to gank me which is a little disappointing.

Yesterday I was at a camp and somebody approached and I was excited "Yes! Finally a ganker.. come get some!" but then he invited me to a group so we just ended up killing some Gnolls and we logged... smh

Very true... It's also still early and a lot of people scared to attack another player for some reason (Alignment loss isn't as low as some think, and even killing someone within five minutes you can enter a lawful city again. Unless of course you dropped alignment too low.)
    Elsabolts said:
    He who spends the most money Time does the ganking.
    FTFY

• Hazardouz24Hazardouz24 Member CommonPosts: 2
    As a DF1 vet I'm having a great time with this new iteration, the front loaded skill gains help alleviate the early grind so you can get a feel for the game sooner. I spent a couple days in the starter zone trying out the new task system and when i felt like i got what i could from there i joined a clan and started playing what i would consider the game proper. 

this game does tend to show its age a bit but i think that when the larger battles start happening we will all be happier that our new rigs handle the sieges much better than 8 years ago.
    FullLootPvp
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I tried the game for two weeks. I REALLY TRIED TO LIKE THE GAME The game has two official factions BLUE players who do not pk...and REDS who do pk. I was a BLUE. The final straw that drove me away.Getting looted for the umpteenth time by a BLUE player. Yep...you own faction can loot you.
    I simply refuse to accept members of your own,supposed , faction being able to take your things.
    So two weeks of game play down the drain. ...and I have another game on my list to never play.

On a positive note....I loved the crafting though they don't currently have a good way for crafters to sell their items.

I'm looking at DARKFALL NEW DAWN but haven't seen a lot of activity.

CAMELOT UNCHAINED(sigh), when ever it gets to beta is what really excites me.

• Hazardouz24Hazardouz24 Member CommonPosts: 2
    I tried the game for two weeks. I REALLY TRIED TO LIKE THE GAME The game has two official factions BLUE players who do not pk...and REDS who do pk. I was a BLUE. The final straw that drove me away.Getting looted for the umpteenth time by a BLUE player. Yep...you own faction can loot you.
    I simply refuse to accept members of your own,supposed , faction being able to take your things.
    So two weeks of game play down the drain. ...and I have another game on my list to never play.

On a positive note....I loved the crafting though they don't currently have a good way for crafters to sell their items.

This a major problem among new players, the alignment system is not explained at all in game so it leads to misunderstanding like this. 

Blue or Red has nothing to do with factions, in fact, factions were removed from the game for this new version.

If a player is blue that is just means that they have not killed and ganked a lot of other blue players, you can also recover alignment in dungeons, the colors serve more as a warning of who may or may not be potentially hostile. The system is pretty flawed imo. If you are logged in and you don't have starter protection you should just assume anyone who's name isn't green is going to kill you.
    FullLootPvp

This a major problem among new players, the alignment system is not explained at all in game so it leads to misunderstanding like this. 

Blue or Red has nothing to do with factions, in fact, factions were removed from the game for this new version.

If a player is blue that is just means that they have not killed and ganked a lot of other blue players, you can also recover alignment in dungeons, the colors serve more as a warning of who may or may not be potentially hostile. The system is pretty flawed imo. If you are logged in and you don't have starter protection you should just assume anyone who's name isn't green is going to kill you.
    You can still be killed, ganked and looted by a blue player.

Players start with 200 alignment and the max alignment is 1000. A high alignment player could still kill another blue player and (gank) him and remain in positive alignment. 2 blue players in a lawless area could still fight and kill without any alignment hit due to everybody being "rouge" in lawless area's.

Let me add as well, that "just looting" is currently not seen as a criminal act... so everyone may pick up your stuff, also blue ones.. this got pro's (like your friends may pick your stuff if you get ganked or decapped) and also con's (as well as everyone feels free to take your stuff if you die on a disconnect in a mob spawn ;)
    For me, this just adds it to the thrill, the risk to lose all my stuff
    Plus on the other side, every grave i see feels like xmas as a kid, wondering what is in the gift package ;)
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    DAoC veteran here

Try streaming it and ask for PVP... things will change REAL fast. In fact, sometimes people will regularly check, and it makes everywhere hostile... especially if you are at war with someone.

What do you mean??

A lot of the time a blue player was killed and so frustrated that he or she logged off. Why let that loot just sit there?

Also... if you are a nice player and would like the blue to get his or her stuff back than its probably best to loot it before anyone else does and then say something in public chat about having their stuff. If you do this for people you may find that most of the time they had abandoned their stuff.

So anyways... subbed to Darkfall for 7 years since beginning.

pros

sense of danger, very challenging, risk vs reward, unpredictable gameplay, how the UI feels once you get used to it, mount/naval/siege combat, adrenaline rush, can feel REALLY sneaky if you want it to as theres scouts, spies, and thieves all over the place, crafting is very important, at this point some of the PVE is still a mystery to be discovered by everyone.. when you are a good player and save the day, everyone around you is effected.

cons

you NEED to either PVE or craft or have a good network of trade maintained to have gear ready for the next time you play, no matter how long you play for... so honestly its a constant struggle there. New players are likely to quit out of frustration because they have not learned how to prepare for losses yet. Most valuable lessons may be learned the hard way. Just one siege can make a person who feels rich go broke the next day. You cannot just PVP, and although it may be the most exciting PVP found in any MMORPG, its not something that you can just jump into and do all of the time. When you have losses you may feel those losses personally.... a lot of people cannot handle that.
    FullLootPvp

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Moral of the thread, Join a clan for that "Faction" feeling
    Copperfield

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    DFUW addressed most of these issues (with better gfx, territory control, newb experience etc).  I have no desire to play this version of dfo.  I may give the other one a shot as they seem to be attempting to appeal to more than the hardcore PvP only crowd.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Game broken. Wait a year.
  • BeJustjeffBeJustjeff Member CommonPosts: 4
    I am currently playing. 
    Good: Strong Supportive community, and a new player server supported Darkfall University for training new players. With 1 on 1 mentor volunteers from all the major groups.
    Bad: People constantly trying to rip others off similar to eve online.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Ikisis said:
    Moral of the thread, Join a clan for that "Faction" feeling
    Yes, I played for a week or so. This game can be really fun but you need to come into it ready to be social from the very start. You need to get into a guild.

Times have changed for me. I just don't have time like I used to and I was not ready to commit to a clan right out of the shoot. I like to solo and basically lone wolf when I'm relaxing after work. Sometimes I like to group up, but I don't want to be there for sieges (or raids in other types of games) on a certain schedule. 

But if you are really social and ready to commit to a clan and be a team player, I think you can have a blast here, regardless of the dated graphics.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    The Flaws:
    Removal of faction warfare
    Exploits/Bugs.
    Grind although lessened ALOT.
    No skill cap meaning everyone can use every ability/spell forcing you to have 50 keybindings.
    No non pvp content to keep noob/sheep retention.
    Outdated graphics, but still look mostly decent.
    Unsubstantial content patches for a while.
    Slowly bleeding player count due to other flaws.

MurderHerd