Here is my list. This is MY list. I am sure a few of you (wink) will have different opinions. Also, because it's my nature, I will start with the Cons of course.
- Inexperienced startup including the CEO having zero industry experience and very light resumes on much of the existing team. Yes, one or two people played some significant, behind the scenes roles at SOE but of the 3 he really details: One is a programmer with experience, One (the Lead Developer) has 3 times more experience in customer service than game design and the actual design credits are stuff like "Primary accomplishments include: successfully evangelizing for new narrative techniques and story hooks" and the 3rd is an artist. Fluffery beside, these may be great guys and hidden geniuses in their craft, but not exactly pulled from the starting lineup.
- Strange and "interesting" backstory for the CEO who fairly or unfairly has the stigma of Multi-Level-Marketing attached like a weight to his ankle
- Very hard to get straight answers about the actual funding for the game. How much cash is ACTUALLY raised and in the bank
- Very hard to get straight answers about what exactly is planned to be included as features of the "core"game, what ones are excluded?
- Posted timeframe seems like the typical Kickstarter stretch. Currently they have tossed some store assets together which look pretty but are FAR from being a fully fleshed game. Do not see that happening by next year. Also, the stated planned spend ($30M) vs timeline does not matchup. Even doubling his staff it would be a burn rate of $2.2M a year x 2 years = $4.4M. Pretty far from $30. When in doubt follow the math.
- Recruitment strategy pays REAL cash when people go and recruit players. This is NOT a pyramid scheme but IMHO it's roots are in the CEO's MLM background. Yes it is different, but really think long and hard about believing anything that someone says when they are monitarily incentivized to get you to click on the game and play.
- A vocal core of the community (undetermined size) is really very difficult to deal with in a rational way.
- Seems to hold true to the non- P2W philosphy. These are the least P2W Kickstarter rewards I think I have ever seen. The biggest is just a small headstart (with some items turned off) and they promise non-headstart servers as well.
- Sub based model. Yes this is a GOOD thing.
- Refund promised for Kickstarter if the game doesn't launch. This is a GOOD thing... just wish they were upfront with what is to be included in launch as heck, you an simply turn it on at any point and say "it launched".
- Full PvP. Yes it has flags, but these seem to be the least restrictive I have seen. You can apparently kill anyone in the game but doing so to non-combatants will have a significant negative affect on you. That's right Mr. Bandwagon PvPer who jumped into the 5 on 1 fight to kill me and laughed last week. You may have your "non-combatant flag" on today, but I'm going to hunt your ass down and gank you a few times anyhow. You too Mr. Cocky PvE player!
- No box fee. Not a BAD thing, but I feel the box fee discourages a lot of bad bahavior
- UE4... looks pretty but are there any MASSIVELY multiplayer games that have really successfully used it with thousands of players?
"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator
Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)
Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017.
Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018
"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018
My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.