Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,801
    Love the monster play video. I loved that feature in LotR. That could be a very fun type of PvP. 

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited May 2017
    It's such a pity that developers of fantasy MMORPGs are giving legendary-looking cosmetic items as rewards for real money crowdfunding. In AoE they will give a glowing horse mount and some other glowy things to the Kickstarter backers. It detracts a great deal from immersion in fantasy games. Glowy things are supposed to be very unusual in the fantasy genre, like the Sting sword in Lord of the Rings. Instead, they are highly trivialised with the approach adopted in free-to-play microtransaction model. When you see glowy stuff in a fantasy MMORPG these days, you know the source is usually a real money purchase instead of some in-game storyline or adventure.

The node system reminds me of a suggestion I made to some developers many years ago, that the whole community can level up a region in a game by contributing to the actions performed in that region. It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

Yanocchi said:

It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.

A few have mentioned that it's what EQ Next was talking about.  I don't quite remember, but it does sound familiar.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

danwest58 said:

Question #1 they already had a live demo on twich TV that is the first video.  It was only open to the Discord channel group live.   Then they edited the video after.   Maybe join discord and watch for more up and coming live streams the developers already have more plan.

So the video was that was shown on Twitch (monster play) was actually on discord live first?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Yanocchi said:

It's such a pity that developers of fantasy MMORPGs are giving legendary-looking cosmetic items as rewards for real money crowdfunding. In AoE they will give a glowing horse mount and some other glowy things to the Kickstarter backers. It detracts a great deal from immersion in fantasy games. Glowy things are supposed to be very unusual in the fantasy genre, like the Sting sword in Lord of the Rings. Instead, they are highly trivialised with the approach adopted in free-to-play microtransaction model. When you see glowy stuff in a fantasy MMORPG these days, you know the source is usually a real money purchase instead of some in-game storyline or adventure.

The node system reminds me of a suggestion I made to some developers many years ago, that the whole community can level up a region in a game by contributing to the actions performed in that region. It's nice to see a developer finally implementing such a vision.

Mark it! 3 days it took for someone to complain about the monetization of cosmetic items :P 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ShadowvenShadowven Member UncommonPosts: 11

So this game is dead allready ?

Not at all, the Community is increasing in numbers dramatically.. Almost 10k on discord 
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,585

Yanocchi said:

This is some of the most immersion braking details for me.

"I'm riding the Nightmare, legendary shade from the Underworld that answers to no one but me! It's master! That holds his primeval essence found in the depths... of... the cash shop, in a promotion a week ago... Also I need some help to kill those pigs level 25."
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 540
    What comes next? Well I'm so glad you've asked!

1.) Failed promises.
    2.) Reduction of planned features and scope of the game.
    3.) Squandering of funds.
    4.) A pushed back alpha/beta - into 2019 for some undetermined amount of time.
    5.) Fewer and fewer updates to Kickstarter as 'production goes into high gear'.
    6.) People who have invested defend the game, despite obvious shady practices and lack of updates.
    7.) Game ceases production behind the curtain.
    8.) People only find out game has stopped production a year down the line.
    9.) People who have invested bitch and threaten lawsuits.
    10.) People who threaten lawsuits will never do it.
    11.) A new Kickstarter MMO comes into play and the system repeats itself anew.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,884

Yanocchi said:

Who made that rule? In a low magic setting maybe. LotR is an extremely low magic environment. Sting is special there. In some most AD&D campaigns String is just another +1 short sword of orc and goblin slaying that glows when enemies are nearby.

Also this idea that my character must always start out as a lice ridden pauper in burlap needs to die in a fire.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,485

Torval said:

Yanocchi said:

Who made that rule? In a low magic setting maybe. LotR is an extremely low magic environment. Sting is special there. In some most AD&D campaigns String is just another +1 short sword of orc and goblin slaying that glows when enemies are nearby.

Also this idea that my character must always start out as a lice ridden pauper in burlap needs to die in a fire.

In my D&D campaign my players could choose a background and I'd tailor the story to them.

However, if they said, I'm the king of "x" I'd make it so they were something like a deposed king, limited resources, that sort of thing.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,150

Torval said:

Ah yes. Starting out as the king in my castle where I just sit around and have minstrels come tell me about their adventures would really open-up more gaming opportunities. Why play it myself when I can just sit back, relax and watch it? I think I'll call my kingdom Twitch :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,585

Torval said:

Yanocchi said:

Please... it has nothing to do with your background (read 5th ed). You could just make you as a noble (again, read 5th ed) or Inheritor or picking trinkets instead of rolling (again 5th ed, things that were always allowed now have enforcing rules).

If something is well crafted you would be a noble or a rich person to hold that, or you'd find it, it does not mean that is a common thing (magic items holds rarity tier, read the DM book) - you could work with your GM about a special quest involving it.

But, there is no active narrator/DM on most video games, because the game itself obeys its own ruleset of feedback in terms of aesthetics and lore to convey that world building aspect. The same way enchantments grow in rarity as it grows in power. The visual feedback , imagined in D&D, is core principle of a video game.

How come every low nobody rides that God mount? The sole problem of it is the lore breaking reasons behind the own lore they create.

That's what you get when you stroke everyone's ego. Fake lame power fantasy features - - and people need their ego stroke so hard they are willing to pay for it.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.

Iselin said:

Torval said:

Ah yes. Starting out as the king in my castle where I just sit around and have minstrels come tell me about their adventures would really open-up more gaming opportunities. Why play it myself when I can just sit back, relax and watch it? I think I'll call my kingdom Twitch :)

Okay, in your imaginary world kings and queens can't have adventures. In mine they can. I've read lots of books where the kings and queens are the main character of the story. And also, "not a pauper" doesn't imply "must be a king", let alone "must be lazy slackard of a king". Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,150

Torval said:

Iselin said:

Torval said:

Okay, in your imaginary world kings and queens can't have adventures. In mine they can. I've read lots of books where the kings and queens are the main character of the story. And also, "not a pauper" doesn't imply "must be a king", let alone "must be lazy slackard of a king". Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I like my kind of king better than your kind... did I forget to mention my kingdom only has female minstrels?
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,902

Nyctelios said:

Torval said:

Yanocchi said:

..... (read 5th ed)....(again, read 5th ed).... (again 5th ed,...).

You discredited your entire post.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293
    Thank you for the comments. Always happy to see a discussion break out under a column, especially when it's about crowd funded mmorpgs.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,465

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

actually, it is

Referral Links
    MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact admin@mmorpg.com.

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#65U6zB3h3j4rTJFy.99

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466

Ridrith said:

1.) Failed promises.

6.) People who have invested defend the game, despite obvious shady practices and lack of updates.

sad but nailed it.

Shroud of the Avatar just snuck in another push in their fine print extending their "pre-alpha" label to late 2017 which is hysterical because they have done this every year since they were supposed to launch back in 2014.  Not to mention that the game is already live, persistent, and slinging micro-transactions like campaign promises.  SotA is clearly a cash grab now, but they're not the first crowdfunded game to market themselves this way and it makes me wonder about the future for startups like Intrepid Studios.  I hope Ashes of Creation gets a fair shake, they have some fresh ideas and what they're already showing us looks pretty good.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,099
    "creators of EQ2" actually is a deterrent to me....I wasnt much impressed with it and it got worse as time went on
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Ridrith said:

1.) Failed promises.

This thread is about Ashes, star citizen forum/threads are that way ☛
    MaxBacon

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited May 2017
    Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

yea I have a very hard time to believe this one will be delievered in 1.5 year as well, personally I expect that release 2018 December, ...

Well, that's the alpha test, not the complete game as far as I know.

That doesn't make any sense though. Their lowest tier package, explorer, delivers 1 month of game time along with chat emojis and character customization option lists a estimated delivery date of Dec 2018. That does not include alpha, or beta access, so you can only assume thats the currently planned release date.

Which of course is silly, there is no way this game will release in 2018. 5 years from now, 2022, is a better estimate.

And yes I know, its just a estimate. But its a terrible one, and greatly misleading.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,231

Talmien said:

Nyctelios said:

Hedeon said:

Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

yea I have a very hard time to believe this one will be delievered in 1.5 year as well, personally I expect that release 2018 December, ...

Well, that's the alpha test, not the complete game as far as I know.

That doesn't make any sense though. Their lowest tier package, explorer, delivers 1 month of game time along with chat emojis and character customization option lists a estimated delivery date of Dec 2018. That does not include alpha, or beta access, so you can only assume thats the currently planned release date.

Which of course is silly, there is no way this game will release in 2018. 5 years from now, 2022, is a better estimate.

And yes I know, its just a estimate. But its a terrible one, and greatly misleading.

Which is why we ask those annoying question asking for more details.   Some people just accept what the great Wizard of Oz tells them. Others look behind the curtain.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182

Thane said:

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Don't be a douche. Having referral links isn't against the rules here, or isn't enforced. People have referral links for Trino, EA, etc in their sigs. Don't try to be a forum cop with your personal agenda.

actually, it is

Referral Links

MMORPG.com does not support its members posting links for which they are entitled to reward. This constitutes advertising on the forums. If you wish to purchase advertising with us, please contact admin@mmorpg.com.

They never do squat about TOR's friends program which is exactly that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Thane said:

Torval said:

Shadowven said:

actually, it is

Referral Links

If you took the time to read the entire thread we went over this along with my response. This is what we get when people don't read articles or the threads before enlightening everyone with their wisdom.

edited May 2017