Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageAshes of Creation - Ashes Crushed KickStarter. What Next? - MMORPG.com

This week Tim Eisen takes a tongue-in-cheek look at how Ashes of Creation crushed it’s Kickstarter campaign in a single day! He looks at what their Kickstarter performance means and offers some post campaign advice.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,969
    I will be watching it for sure.

So far I like what they are doing.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,794
    edited May 2017
    Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,167
    Emoji packs and titles? SIGN ME UP!

Seriously, the rewards really look underwhelming for the price, especially for a product we know little about. I don't really see what is in it for the players for this gamble.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,212
    edited May 2017
    Now the fun starts!

Should be good for the next 3-4 years...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 281
    imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,149
    Well... for the sake of us getting a great game to play, I hope they are as competent at developing as they obviously are at kickstarting.

I mean, no one does crowdfunding better than Chris Roberts, amiright? :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    I think most of them are worth watching, it's the paying part that is problematic. That part seems better suited to those who can't find current games to enjoy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShadowvenShadowven Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Tim,

There are some deep reasoning to me to why I supported and backed AoC. I think you should back it. I have been in the AoC discord channel for a while now and have seen how interactive the devs, especially Mr. Steven S., communicates with his fanbase. I am super hyped about the game and have grown to really appreciate Steven and his honesty and openness to the community. Being that he has gained my trust and has enough money to actually start his own mmo tells me a lot about him.

So i backed it because i love what this game stands for and where there great Idea is going.

Steven said in the kickstarter page: "And finally, in the case that Ashes of Creation does NOT launch, we promise to refund all backers in full."

So what are we to lose?

Elminzter said:

imo 750k to develop a mmorpg is unrealistic take a look at crowfall and camelot unchained, something does not add up...

Eliminzter, The game is already privately funded. The kickstarter is for bonus material and to help growth.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,476

Nanfoodle said:

Still watching and yet to see any detail on game play video, combat direction, classes, crafting. We know they have nodes and I will say that part sounds awesome but you could have had  pledge from my wife and I as well. So we sit back and watch. 

Well, they have listed the classes and there is a video with combat against some mobs.

The only issue I see is that I haven't seen anything with "lots of people" around. A group going to a dungeon delve, etc. Or a city with a lot of people.

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Eliminzter, The game is already privately funded. The kickstarter is for bonus material and to help growth.

Funded for the "core" product.  What exactly is considered in scope of the core product and what is excluded?  What is the budget for this "core" product?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

edited May 2017

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Funded for the "core" product.  What exactly is considered in scope of the core product and what is excluded?  What is the budget for this "core" product?

Slapshot,

I don't know the $$ budget, you should ask John Moore, he is the CFO (Chief Financial Officer).
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,675
    whats next?

I expect more kickstarter/ crowdfunding rounds.
    edited May 2017
    Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Join the discord channel =D: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

Want to join the AoC Community:  https://www.ashesofcreation.com/

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Quoted from the KS FAQ, it says:

"The core product can be delivered with our current capital and the crowdfunding goal."

So technically.... the current capital AND the initial $750k KS goal are what is needed to fund the core game.

In their KS promo video, however,  (starting at the 10:17 mark) they say basically what you have written @Shdowven. So, I'm not sure which is true? I would assume the written version is true, as sometimes when you say things they don't always come out perfect.

It may only seem like a slight distinction, but I think it's important to keep it accurate.
    --------------------------------------------
    edited May 2017

Shadowven said:

Well To those who want more information and want to stay active with the AoC community and Dev's.

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,708
    edited May 2017
    It'll definitely be interesting to see what they do since they already admitted that they had enough money to fully fund the project before KS. If it turns out well, of course people wont complain, but if it doesn't, the criticism will be justified imo.
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293
    Having played this game (Crowd Funding a MMORPG) for a while now I've learned that the tech et al. If they can explain their tech, how it scales for PVP and how its sustainable while featuring everything they list it would go a long way in terms of gaining my click.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.

Shadowven said:

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Slapshot,

I don't know the $$ budget, you should ask John Moore, he is the CFO (Chief Financial Officer).

So you are stating they are fully funded but dont actually know what they are funded for or what that includes or excludes. Your next post is a referral link where you get paid real money when people use your link.

Enlightening!

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,575

Shadowven said:

Elminzter said:

Jokes aside, I have the very same concern as you - adding the rewards having no concept to show what they actually are.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.

Shadowven said:

Want to join the AoC Community: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/

And the true purpose comes out.  His referral link which is against the site rules and gives him 15% of anything you spend.  

Sorry, Slapshot.  I didn't know it was against forum rules. I will remove link and you were wrong. Wasn't my intention. My intention is to give people information on the game and link it, why not link my referral while giving link to page. Anyway you mispoke without evidence. I hope people Join the community

• RaquisRaquis Member UncommonPosts: 988
    ill buy and sub. if its good,waiting for B) release
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293
    If its already paid for, have they said how much that number is?
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,880
    There is an interview on Massively that answers many questions people are asking here

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,575

TimEisen said:

If its already paid for, have they said how much that number is?

No. And he said it on live but the discord FAQ says otherwise... So it is kinda conflicted information (same for alpha phases, discord mods are pasting information that does not match with stream Q&A)
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.