Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO Launching on Steam May 24th - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,013
    edited May 2017
    This is great news. I support any game that helps in the containment of Steam degenerates, we need to stop the spread and confine them within Call of Duty one thru twelve, Rust and Black Desert. I'm not sure how bad the BDO community is currently, but hot damn it's about to get a hell'uva lot worse.

I'd protest..
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    Steam helps everything sell. Just look at some of the shit on their store. I guarantee you, No Man's Sky wouldn't have done as well as it did if it didn't use Steam. Besides, BDO isn't a bad game, so as long as they provide an honest description of the game on their store page, it should pay off. My guess is, they won't and I'll give it about a month before you start seeing bad reviews.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,555
    edited May 2017

Spagex said:

So will there be any way for all of us that bought the game outside of steam to activate it via steam or do we have to buy the game again?

Nope you have to buy the game on steam to play on steam - and you have to create a new BDO account.

Existing BDO players will NOT be able to play on steam with existing BDO accounts.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/582660/Black_Desert_Online/

"

PRE-EXISTING USERS

The Steam version of Black Desert Online requires the purchase of the game from Steam as well as the creation of a new Black Desert Online account. Pre-existing Black Desert Online accounts created from methods other than Steam will not be able to play via Steam."

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member UncommonPosts: 656

Renoaku said:

I will leave a negative review until XingCode is removed from the game.

Also I wonder why this game even is allowed to be hosted when it very likely to my knowledge violates European Laws by installing non required  3rd party software that is unable to be uninstalled through the control panel and requires some knowledge on how to remove it.

Xing Code?

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,778

DMKano said:

Spagex said:

So will there be any way for all of us that bought the game outside of steam to activate it via steam or do we have to buy the game again?

Nope you have to buy the game on steam to play on steam - and you have to create a new BDO account.

Existing BDO players will NOT be able to play on steam with existing BDO accounts.

"

PRE-EXISTING USERS

The Steam version of Black Desert Online requires the purchase of the game from Steam as well as the creation of a new Black Desert Online account. Pre-existing Black Desert Online accounts created from methods other than Steam will not be able to play via Steam."

Yep, that's the way it works with ESO too. I can't even buy stuff from the ZoS/ESO website without going through Valve. I couldn't tie a Morrowind purchase outside of Steam to my ESO Steam account. I'm not a fan of the practice.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Well, i waited this for long time.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182

Torval said:

Yep, that's the way it works with ESO too. I can't even buy stuff from the ZoS/ESO website without going through Valve. I couldn't tie a Morrowind purchase outside of Steam to my ESO Steam account. I'm not a fan of the practice.

I'd assume it's related to promotions, like steam related DLC starter packages and the like. So only steam users get them pushing a greater possibility for sales on steam going forward. I know they do that kind of thing with other MMOs. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,511
    edited May 2017

sayuu said:

MaxBacon said:

The biggest reason is the cut Steam takes from sales. This is why many MMO's avoid steam.

I'm not sure how well can BDO do on Steam, the game easily drags over-emotional flame wars with it, and the steam community is self-fueled on that aspect.

Many? Of the top-ten rated released games on MMORPG.com, only two are NOT on Steam, with BDO about to move to Steam.

[NO] Guild Wars 2
    [YES] Final Fantasy XIV
    [YES] Secret World Legends
    [YES] Elder Scrolls Online
    [NO] AD2460
    [SOON] Black Desert Online
    [YES] Rift
    [YES] Warframe
    [YES] Smite
    [YES] Darkfall: Unholy Wars

talk about skewing data to fit an agenda.

all that list proves is that the most profitable MMO's aren't on Steam. . .
    with the exception of Final Fantasy 14, all those MMO's came to Steam months after their release to.

and Lol at this sites rating system. . .like that means anything. . .  I expect to see is some Steamcharts next. . .

[mod edit]

Cheez.... Chill out.

Torval said:

DMKano said:

Spagex said:

"

PRE-EXISTING USERS

EvE is like that too.

Meanwhile FF14 uses its own site, but it links to Steam Wallet as one payment method. So I can buy stuff directly using Steam Wallet.

That would be nice to the games cited above.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    wingood
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,062
    edited May 2017
    When millions of Steam users get exposed to BDO and get slapped in the face with a "sorry you cant play our game, scrub" there will be blood, figuratively lol.

Hopefully exposing BDO on Steam will get them to remove the region lock and license the damn thing globally like every normal mmorpg. But launching on Steam hasnt been a saving grave for some mmos so wait and see.

edited May 2017

When millions of Steam users get exposed to BDO and get slapped in the face with a "sorry you cant play our game, scrub" there will be blood, figuratively lol.

Hopefully exposing BDO on Steam will get them to remove the region lock and license the damn thing globally like every normal mmorpg. But launching on Steam hasnt been a saving grave for some mmos so wait and see.

Games with region lock like Secret World don't let you see their page. An orange message saying "Sorry this content is locked to your region" shows up - which is not the case (for me) with BDO, so far.

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,056
    No thanks. Between BDO's ridiculous cash shop prices, horrible RNG mechanics, constant desync issues, and server instability making it a nightmare for life skill players; I can safely say I will never play that game again.
    edited May 2017

Nyctelios said:

Games with region lock like Secret World don't let you see their page. An orange message saying "Sorry this content is locked to your region" shows up - which is not the case (for me) with BDO, so far.

People still become aware of it launching on Steam. I remember a friend of mine wanted to buy Resident Evil 5 on sale but Steam didnt show it on his region, instead he was seeing Devil May Cry. He got on my  PC using Team Viewer and bought RE5 to his account from my PC. Many people do that, and when they realise they cant log in to an mmo after having potentially paid for it... all i can say is at least Steam refunds exist. My thoughts.

But, to add to your point, it doesnt make much sense to release on Steam, if the same people will just re-download it on Steam because nobody else would see it.

Nyctelios said:

People still become aware of it launching on Steam. I remember a friend of mine wanted to buy Resident Evil 5 on sale but Steam didnt show it on his region, instead he was seeing Devil May Cry. He got on my  PC using Team Viewer and bought RE5 to his account from my PC. Many people do that, and when they realise they cant log in to an mmo after having potentially paid for it... all i can say is at least Steam refunds exist.

I did not know that. Thanks for sharing the info.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,727

Tiller said:

Next I bet will be XBL and/or PSN if they can get some controller options working.

They already confirmed working on a Console version, so no betting necessary. :pleased:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Tiller said:

Next I bet will be XBL and/or PSN if they can get some controller options working.

They already confirmed working on a Console version, so no betting necessary. :pleased:

Plus controllers work on PC too, thats how i play it  B)
    wingood

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Have they fixed the issue with AMD GPUs? I don't want to run an older driver version such 16.x to accommodate one game. You'd think Steam might have some demands on something like that? But probably not as long as they make their cash.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Go Back! It's a trap!

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,167
    I get why they won't let old users use Steam.. they already gotcha, they don't want you spending money via Steam.

However, it is still bullshit. It still pisses me off I couldn't link FFXIV to Steam. Now I can't link BDO. Actually you can't link ESO either. Screw you MMO companies.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I got the feeling its going to be an IP Blocked.  

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/263-omg-ip-block-confirmed/&page=9

28 Feb 2016

Dear players,

To answer your inquiry about the IP block of areas outside our territory license agreement with Pearl Abyss, we’d like to give a proper statement about this matter.

As our Terms of Service point out, our territory license agreement with the developer Pearl Abyss is limited to the following areas:

• Europe
      • Excluding Turkey and part of Russia
    • North America
      • Canada
      • Mexico
      • United States of America

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,555

Aori said:

I get why they won't let old users use Steam.. they already gotcha, they don't want you spending money via Steam.

However, it is still bullshit. It still pisses me off I couldn't link FFXIV to Steam. Now I can't link BDO. Actually you can't link ESO either. Screw you MMO companies.

You can link Trove, ArcheAge, Rift and just about all others.

So the ones you cant link are the exception actually
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,081
    I can see from the company's perspective being willing to only get 70 cents on the dollar if they're tapping a potential customer base that they can't easily get at directly.

What I have a hard time seeing is why anyone who is aware of BDO and that you can buy it directly from them would choose to go through Steam. Maybe some MMOs can be gotten cheaper that way but of the ones I've played that are available on Steam I have never seen a Steam sale that wasn't matched by direct sales through the developer and I have seen some developer sales that were not matched by Steam.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Aori said:

You can with ESO. When you first run the game after installing it via Steam, you select the option that says something like "I already have an ESO account' and log in with your existing credentials. Your account is now linked and you are auto logged in from that point forward. I never had to create another account.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,972
    edited May 2017
    postlarval said:
    Many? Of the top-ten rated released games on MMORPG.com, only two are NOT on Steam, with BDO about to move to Steam.

[NO] Guild Wars 2
    [YES] Final Fantasy XIV
    [YES] Secret World Legends
    [YES] Elder Scrolls Online
    [NO] AD2460
    [SOON] Black Desert Online
    [YES] Rift
    [YES] Warframe
    [YES] Smite
    [YES] Darkfall: Unholy Wars

You put against the list of the biggest MMO's (most sales/profit) and it's different:
    1. League of Legends > No
    2. Crossfire > No
    3. Dungeon Fighter Online > Yes
    4. World of Warcraft > No
    5. World of Tanks > No
    6. Dota 2 > Yes
    7. Lineage 1 > No
    8. Blade and Soul > No
    9. Mapplestory > No
    10. SWTOR > No

You can look at it from many ways, from popularity to profitability, to the population, and the results will be different. On this case showing the most profitable (and some of the biggest on player pops) MMO's reside outside Steam.
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,412
    Ayah why people lol at my writing a review for BDO ? I honestly think it's  good game and I enjoyed all the life skills and really loved planting the products, harvesting them and trading the crates for profits by going the furthest with my wagons. I was so excited making the wagons for the first time when I finally collected all the resources for it. Some I even gathered myself not using the workers. 

The beauty of BDO for me isn't the PvP it is the ability to decide for myself what I want to do each time I log on. I could decide today I am going to open this node or breed my horses or train them by going on a trade run and using the horses on the wagon. I found that unlike some MMORPGs that offer you nothing besides dungeon crawling and levelling up by fighting this game gave me other choices when I play and I think that deserves a good review from me.

I did not realise that people considered Steam users in such poor light as to warrant a remark about lumping then on some servers and that they diminish the quality of the community somewhat. I have been a member of Steam for some years but I must admit that although I play games there I have not participated in the online community in any game but I always found their discussion forums on the games I have posted questions, to be very helpful and kind.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,526
    edited May 2017

cheyane said:

I did not realise that people considered Steam users in such poor light as to warrant a remark about lumping then on some servers and that they diminish the quality of the community somewhat. I have been a member of Steam for some years but I must admit that although I play games there I have not participated in the online community in any game but I always found their discussion forums on the games I have posted questions, to be very helpful and kind.

I don't find the steam community forums for various games to be particularly different from any other community on most forums, this one included (and I browse lots of forums on and off steam all the time).  I think that's just people being elitist and pretending they're better than everyone else with no true evidence to back it up.