Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO surpassed your expectations if any ?

Comments

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Tabula Rasa, game exceeded expectations so well ncsoft could not handle to swag and had to cancel it.
    Quicksand
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,425
    DAOC for pvp, FFXI for pve, nothing else has come close

LeFantome
  • AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 2,971
    edited May 2017
    Guild Wars 1 then WoW.
    Post edited by Asheram on
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Soki123 said:
    DAOC for pvp, FFXI for pve, nothing else has come close

I remember trying FFXI long ago and its Pve was brutal. I know now they softened it a bit but it was fun,
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 7,049
    WoW, Druid was the best class I've ever played in an MMO, to instantly become a cat, bear, bird, moonkin, while exploring was the best.
    GW2, the most fluid game I've ever played, the best combat of any MMO.
    SWTOR class stories.
    ESO, exploration and questing up to 50.  
    SWG, exploration, professions, and sandbox play.
    L2, strangely addictive and even though I don't PvP a lot I played it for years, constantly.
    Aion had nice questing and a nice flight mechanic and fun quests.
    Played tons more but these were/are great.
    Robsolf
    “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”  ― Haruki Murakami
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,668
    Revelation Online, because I went in with zero expectations. It's ain't half bad, actually. /shrug

LeFantomeViper482

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, DN, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
    ESO, FE, FFXI, FFXIV, FF, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MO, MxO, NW, Rift, RoE,
    Ryzom, SB, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Only WoW. 

Prior to WoW I'd been playing Warcraft since Warcraft II. I had no MMORPG experience, however I do remember playing Asheron's Call to some extent. I never got very far with Asheron's Call, and I don't really have any momentous memories about it. But WoW really sucked me in all the way up through Burning Crusade. Wrath ruined everything for me. I skipped Cataclysm I think this is around the time AoC and WAR were supposed to be WoW killers. 

I played them both. Age of Conan is where all my friends migrated to. I had a great time in Tortage and going to Tarantia (I think that's the big white city) and the whole game had a really awesome Ancient vibe, yet I felt too squishy and ended up dipleased with the gameplay and the general feeling. It was all too scattered out. It felt too single player. 

My friends also all tried WAR. I barely got anywhere in that game. The gameplay felt clunky or something. I just never got immersed. 

After that the WoW killer was supposed to be SWTOR. I played it briefly in the beta and hated it absolutely. Around this time I went back to WoW. Eventually I did come around to SWTOR and that was a great single player game, but as an MMO it's a failure. 

Now I have nothing. All the WoW killers failed to kill WoW and I hate Broken Shore in WoW with a passion. I feel a great void and immense disappointment with this genre that was so rich and provided me with so much. 
  • Redd_WolfRedd_Wolf Member CommonPosts: 2
    Paladins, I really didn't think it would get this far.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I have a list.. sorta.

Dungeons and Dragons Online  - was amazing, had that real table top feel, then, for reasons I cannot fathom, they felt the need to be more "generic style MMO" and really killed the whole feel of the game.

Guild Wars 2: This game was amazing on every level to me..  I had a blast doing everything in this game, map exploration, dungeons, personal story, world vs word, fractals, I loved it all. Then for some stupid reason they released Heart of Thorns, and it was a full buffet of everything I didn't like, in fact they invented things to put in that I could not stand.

Trove - It's such a simple looking game, but it's mechanics were spot on, just smooth as glass in how they worked, for the blocky little world that it is, nothing felt awkward, slow, or clunky. Sadly, the upper level grind was insane, and I burned out.
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328

Neverwinter

But let me explain. When I heard Cryptic is making what at that time as still starry eyes hopeful of MMORPGs

My dream MMO was D&D MMO set in Forgotten Realms, and what better than one that is set as successor of Neverwinter Nights.

To hear that Cryptic , that produced failure as Champions and STO - with their "print MMOs quickly" engine, and under lead of Bill Roper - Is making Neverwinter MMO

And not only that - the MMO was planned to be twitch ACTION based. Complete opposite of what D&D is.

this was crushing and disappointing. So much i didnt even want to try it when it was released.

But when i finally did, i was more positively surprised than with any MMO previously.

The writing was superb. The combat system was actually more fun than most. And all in all it was incredibly fun experience.

I am kinda confused, if your dream MMO is DnD MMO, in forgotten realms. They already have one, and had one then it is called DND online, and it is basically like neverwinter nights but a MMO.  I played both, I would say Never Winter, is basically just a copy of world of war craft, and none of it felt like DND. I enjoyed both though, I quit never winter when I figured out why every time i joined PVP, i would instantly die over and over, even when I figured out how to play. They also want to much money to be a white skinned elf lol. 
    Umm Dungeons and Dragons Online is actually set in Ebberon, not Forgotten Realms, it has a Forgotten Realms Expansion.. Just FYI.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 5,968
    EQ1 and Anarchy Online....I thought both were a blast from the get go...WoW was good though it felt a little dumbed down after playing EQ for 4-5 years.
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 604
    DAoC was a huge positive surprise for me. That game was punching way above it's weight. 
    For me, early DAoC (vanilla and SI) was the best MMORPG of all times. You just can't recreate that feeling anymore.

Nibs
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 1,931
    Archeage alpha/beta....before they destroyed it months after release with p2w.
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    edited May 2017
    For me this would have to be ESO it just keeps improving ,what with the questing housing crafting dlcs and just exploring has become my favorite since EQ2 .
    Easy. Wurm Online. 2012. Opened my mind. Opened a lot of doors.

It honestly blew my mind. Everything I had played before it dwindled to almost nothing. Up to that point, I was old school minded. I'd played Everquest 2 and DDO and some other new MMORPGs, but I didn't like the hand holding. I was very mean-spirited. My first MMO was Everquest. After that UO:T2A. I played many small scale MMO's. I noticed a pattern how newer MMO's had increasing hand holding and disliked it. Wurm Online proved to me I really did like that old way of playing. It wasn't just nostalgia, as many claimed and I feared. Project 1999 didn't prove it for me the same way. It also took that formula and went further. It was what I hoped Everquest and UO would become when I played them so many years ago. Granted, it's not a perfect thing, but I'm not lying when I say my jaw dropped repeatedly at how much it continued to deliver.

Also I think it helped to clarify things for me. Previously I thought it was over. I thought the past way of gaming was dead. But after Wurm Online I changed. I started to believe it's not that things are dead, but that they look deceptively different. For example, I believe the crushing difficulty of old games emerged in modern survival games. Survival games are taking the reigns and continuing the legacy. Many fail to see this so they believe all is lost. I believe it's not just this either. it's a lot of other things. What's tricky is figuring out what the past looks like now, since it's not the same.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    RemyVorender
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,668
    For me this would have to be ESO it just keeps improving ,what with the questing housing crafting dlcs and just exploring has become my favorite since EQ2 .
    Wurm, despite is graphical lackings, was so immersive for me. Wurm is the mold that more AAA MMOs should have followed IMHO. 
    Eldurian

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, DN, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
    ESO, FE, FFXI, FFXIV, FF, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MO, MxO, NW, Rift, RoE,
    Ryzom, SB, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    edited May 2017
    Wurm, despite is graphical lackings, was so immersive for me. Wurm is the mold that more AAA MMOs should have followed IMHO. 
    I don't think ti's for everyone. The lack of hand holding and the extreme grinding and the danger on the PvP servers pushes most people away. But -I'm- grateful it exists. For a few oddball mixups, it's the perfect place to be.

For me, it really HIT HARD after I fled from some players who were starting to be suspicious of me for stupid reasons. It was dangerous. My life was in the cart I was dragging. I was new. Monsters everywhere. I was lost. It was night and I was in a clearcut. I could see the stars and hear the wind. BAM. I was more immersed than I've ever been b4. I experienced this many times over the years, but this was the defining moment. For some players this would be hell. Worse, I'm on a PvP server and stuff can be stolen. Hell, I tell you! For me it was like being in another world truly felt alive.

IMHO, Wurm Online isn't terribly different from MMO's like 7 Days To Die or Rust or H1Z1. In all you can lose things and have to build for survival. Wurm Online has more inertia in its system and is slower pace--more grindy. And this inertia in Wurm Online can also work against it by muting the survival element. For example, if what you've built is too good then there's nothing to survive it's a cakewalk.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    ManWithNoTan
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 3,956
    WOW - My only experience in MMOs was watching friends play EQ and UO and knowing those games weren't at all what I wanted to play.  WOW was more enjoyable than expected.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 5,476
    BDO actually surpassed my expectations in one core area, the parkour aspect of it, there's so many animations and transitions and the ability to climb around buildings and such in the way it was embedded on the game-world giving that "Assassin's Creed" vibe is something that I didn't really expect from it until I played it.
    ManWithNoTan
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,122
    None for me. 

When I first entered the MMO scene, I had no expectations to surpass. SWG came first, then FFXI for a bit, then LotRO. SWG and LotRO in particular ended up setting my expectations for the future: SWG showed me what was possible when creating a virtual world, whilst LotRO showed me what great combat and group / class design looked like. 

Since then, everything has been a let down. Even when I massively lower my expectations, most MMOs still fail to meet them (here's looking at you, Wildstar!). 
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    All MMO's for me have the same level of expectations for me as long as I'm enjoying the game!!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member RarePosts: 3,677
    Guild Wars 2 did.. it doesn't seem so amazing anymore but when I started playing the beta I was just awed by it. The dynamic event system, done that way it is, was just groundbreaking at the time. Too be honest no other MMO seems to have matched that system, or even attempted to since then.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member UncommonPosts: 4,502
    SWG(in the beginning).  It felt like a pioneering sort of game, which makes sense from a meta perspective, as there were relatively few graphic MMO before it.  Despite its many issues, and in many ways because of them, there was an air of adventure about it that we might not ever see again in the genre.  Reason being is that much of it was accidental.

Or maybe incidental is the better word?  It was released half baked and unpolished, leaving you with very little means to know whether you were about to get in over your head.  But with that, you also had the perfect Star Wars music and sound FX, great art design, day/night/weather cycles, and even little nuances, like Luke's Theme swelling up just as the sun(s) sets...

Once you figured it out, though, things got routine, grindy, and even silly.  Doc buffs would turn you from a guy who could barely hold their own against a few storm troopers, to The Injectable Hulk™?, who could Teras Kasi Curbstomp™ a half dozen Rancor to death in 20 seconds flat.  You know, that spammed skill that makes you skip around like friggin' Tom Bombadil on a genocide binge...

Anyhoo, my point is, it was great for many reasons, including many reasons that it didn't intend.
    Tiller
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 301
    edited May 2017
    For me, it was City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa, and World of Warcraft.. (Wish I could say Star Wars Galaxies, but sadly I did not get to play it.. Would have made this list though with all the things I have since heard or researched)

CoH/CoV was a completely different experience at the time, and really captured my attention.. I don't think I've ever felt as compelled to create a backstory for my characters as when I played.. To this day, I still say the Mastermind blew me away as the best and most fun pet-class ever designed..

Tabula Rasa was awesome.. (Damn you to torment on every layer of the Nine Hells, NCSoft).. The Logos made collecting in MMOs seem relevant.. Also, the constantly generated battlefields made for some very memorable moments for me..

World of Warcraft exceeded most of the fantasy genre elements at the time.. From the beginning up until the end of Wrath, I can't say I ever stopped enjoying myself.. Let's not bring up Cataclysm though..
    Post edited by TyranusPrime on
    waynejr2Robsolf

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 6,863
    Robsolf said:
    SWG(in the beginning).  It felt like a pioneering sort of game, which makes sense from a meta perspective, as there were relatively few graphic MMO before it.  Despite its many issues, and in many ways because of them, there was an air of adventure about it that we might not ever see again in the genre.  Reason being is that much of it was accidental.

Or maybe incidental is the better word?  It was released half baked and unpolished, leaving you with very little means to know whether you were about to get in over your head.  But with that, you also had the perfect Star Wars music and sound FX, great art design, day/night/weather cycles, and even little nuances, like Luke's Theme swelling up just as the sun(s) sets...

Once you figured it out, though, things got routine, grindy, and even silly.  Doc buffs would turn you from a guy who could barely hold their own against a few storm troopers, to The Injectable Hulk™?, who could Teras Kasi Curbstomp™ a half dozen Rancor to death in 20 seconds flat.  You know, that spammed skill that makes you skip around like friggin' Tom Bombadil on a genocide binge...

Anyhoo, my point is, it was great for many reasons, including many reasons that it didn't intend.
    That was SWG all right, it was broken and buggy and to some boring, but we made our own fun. The music  made it Star Warsy. Remember when you incapacitated someone and they slid fifty meters away and you had to chase their body down for the deathblow? We put up with a lot, can't see that happening now though. lol
    Robsolf
  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 1,902
    edited May 2017
    Anarchy Online back in 2001. The game world blew me away. I couldn't wait to get home from work and play that game. The genre was so different back then and so were the people that played mmo's. I haven't had that same feeling in a long time. Mostly because the communities in mmo's are filled with ass holes today.
    Post edited by Hariken on